Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Why is so much hate on automatic cars in this section?

My Cars
    92 525iT(S52)
    Quote Originally Posted by bagekko View Post
    Out of the 10 BMWs I have owned 3 have been automatics, the X3 and X5 there is no choice, that leaves 1 of 8 and it was my first E34 a 95 530i.
    Actually there have been manual transmission X-3's and X-5's. You have to search around for one because they weren't popular.

My Cars
    '89 535-GTS,'10 535xit
    I had a manual transmission 2006 X3. It took about 4 months to find. It was a great car. I put 110k on it in just under 6 years. Never an issue, only minor maintenance stuff. Great car to drive and I'm sure I'll miss it this winter. You just have to look hard. That's the case with a lot of the newer BMWs. I replaced my X3 with a 328 touring. It took me a year to find the car I wanted (and wasn't sold by the time I contacted the seller). I did have to fly to pick it up and drive home, but it was totally worth it.
    If it's important enough to you, you can find a way.

2000, 2001, 2002, 2011, & 2020 One Lap of America Race Team Follow Redfive Racing on Facebook
    1989 535GTS-S5S, 2010 535xit M sport wagon

My Cars
    e21 x2 e34 m5 x2 e31 x2
    The e34 5 is a gentleman's sports car
    Sedate and easy to drive as a manual and a cracker when you get into it
    The auto is just stupid in it, it's not great, a little slow, it's that kid every school has
    Not a nerd,not a sporty guy, just meh
    That's the e34 auto
    I wouldn't have my e34 any other way
    Manual and sports interior
    You want to cruise?
    Get a swb 7
    That's what i did.

My Cars
    Suck
    Quote Originally Posted by Redfive View Post
    I had a manual transmission 2006 X3. It took about 4 months to find. It was a great car. I put 110k on it in just under 6 years. Never an issue, only minor maintenance stuff. Great car to drive and I'm sure I'll miss it this winter. You just have to look hard. That's the case with a lot of the newer BMWs. I replaced my X3 with a 328 touring. It took me a year to find the car I wanted (and wasn't sold by the time I contacted the seller). I did have to fly to pick it up and drive home, but it was totally worth it.
    If it's important enough to you, you can find a way.
    Eh, it was boomy in the back seat with the noise, rode weird back there too. And it cost me an ipod.

Go ahead and bite. Plenty for everyone.

My Cars
    '89 535-GTS,'10 535xit
    No that was the outback that cost you an iPod. Granted we were going to look at the x3.
    Never rode in the back. Can't comment but I loved being in the driver's seat. It definitely got too stiff after upgrading to the sport suspension.

2000, 2001, 2002, 2011, & 2020 One Lap of America Race Team Follow Redfive Racing on Facebook
    1989 535GTS-S5S, 2010 535xit M sport wagon

My Cars
    E53, E38, E34, E39T
    Quote Originally Posted by M540fella View Post
    I do as well. I purchased msport 540ia first because I couldn't drive a stick and fell in love with the e34 design. I had always driven autos, and the 5hp30 is one of the best autos I had ever driven. I have lots of friends that think it's a relatively fast/fun car.I have a blast around our mountain roads. The trans was already rebuilt once,by the po, but that was at 155k. It was rather expensive.
    I bought my 540i/6 to swap transmissions with the auto but after teaching myself to drive it I changed my mind. I have decided to keep it for now, but if the msport auto does go out again I have it waiting.
    I will agree that everyone should learn how to drive a manual. It's a good thing to know, and does make you more engaged in what you're doing. However manuals are going the way of the dinosaur , so it's really a skill that won't be as needed as in the past.
    Whoa bro, I'd never have thought you could not drive stick. Manual going the way of the Dino you say? The only way I'll give mine up is if my left leg gets amputated. Actually, if things went south of the border, and I had to cut all bills, I'd sell all other cars I have and keep my 540/6

Some Places remain unknown because no one has ventured forth. Others remain so because no one has ever come back......

My Cars
    E53, E38, E34, E39T
    Quote Originally Posted by SVD115 View Post
    The auto is just stupid in it, it's not great, a little slow, it's that kid every school has
    That's the e34 auto
    You want to cruise?
    Get a swb 7
    That's what i did.
    Everything this guy said...

Some Places remain unknown because no one has ventured forth. Others remain so because no one has ever come back......

My Cars
    750i E38 & 540i E34
    Quote Originally Posted by priler View Post
    none of you have given the correct answer so far.

there're 2 main reasons for the bashing and overall negativity on/for autos here.

the first is called The Mob Mentality. this is a strange and sometimes weird fact that tends to happen in all forums. it doesn't matter if it's a gun forum or a car one. this can be so strong that sometimes even those who are neutral on the subject or actually have a counter opinion will generally keep quite on the matter.

the second reason is BMW's fault. it comes from that "lifetime fill" stupidity. every owner who just bought an auto is always worried about a failure. this put even more pressure or hatred on the autos.

i'll remind you all that,at the time,only Porsche had a comparable auto worthy of putting in any car that had any kind of sportiness. you guys do understand how the 5HP30 works and what it does,right? for comparison,the MB auto of this same time period,although very reliable,was a clunky POS and it never changed it's nature. if you were taking a corner aggressively,your practically guaranteed to be in the wrong gear,including when accelerating out of a corner,unless you shifted yourself and even then,it sucks for that.

ever heard a 540iA throw a bunch of downshift when coming from a pretty fast pace to a complete stop and the revs blipping up like it thought it was a manual? sometimes even manual guys will just coast and not downshift constantly.

yeah,it's not the same but it's not bad (or the worst out there) either.
    That is true, it's always hard to go against the current.

You're right, the 5HP30 is very impressive for its time. It feels so good and reacts fast to your demands.

I love Mercedes from that period too, especially the W140, but the autoboxes aren't as good as the BMW ones. There isn't even a sports mode and to keep it in a low gear you have to lock it in 3 or 2 all the time or just floor it until your foot comes right through the footwell and into the engine compartment. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by XCRN View Post
    I will enjoy any car with a manual, I will only enjoy a select few cars with and automatic.
    Believe me, my friend, you won't. The shittiest cars I've ever driven were all manual.
    Manual gearboxes can be very enjoyable in a 911, but in an econobox they're nasty and hateable.

Quote Originally Posted by gtopaul View Post
    Pretty much true. I worked at a BMW dealership for 14 years and the two things they couldn't sell were wagons and stick shifts. Nobody wanted them. Put them in the loaner fleet and nobody wanted to drive them. Always sold heavily discounted.
    Happens the same today. How many F10 do they sell with a manual? Not many.
    This kind of car is usually prefered to be automatic by the average buyer.

Quote Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post
    The autos in these cars are unreliable. They can't handle any additional torque than they handle from the factory, and they die even under those conditions. That, and if you're trying to accelerate through a corner and hang in 2nd gear but the trans shifts into third for you... so you floor it to downshift, and it doesn't, or maybe it does... or maybe it doesn't... or maybe it does....

Its not very fun. I don't really care what anyone else drives but I can't see a GM 4 spd being fun in a tossable car. I have friends with built autos in supras and other fast cars and its not very fun in those either.
    That's logical and efficient engineering. Why putting a big expensive transmission capable of handling up to 1000Nm if the engine will only produce 400Nm? Would be such a waste.

That is not true, I'm afraid. You can lock the transmission in 2nd gear and it won't upshift unless you redline the engine, wich makes perfect sense.
    There's no replacement for displacement.

My Cars
    96 M3. 94 E34. 98 750il
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWM5E34 View Post
    You see? This kind of bullshit drives me mad.
    No offense intended, man, but that claim doesn't make any sense. You even drive a 750i E38, like I do, wich was only offered as an automatic!!
    Does that make you a little girl or what? Do you feel less of a man when you're driving your big V12 saloon down the road? C'mon! Be serious.

Isn't a '67 Imperial or a '67 Continental a manly car?! They don't come any more manly than those!! lol.
    So you must think a Ford Ka 1.3 is a much better option for a real man with good taste for real cars, because MANUAL. Ha, ha.

No, they don't. Of course it is good to know how to operate both types of transmissions and everyone with a driving license should know.
    But in Europe around 90% of the cars are manual and you see terrible drivers everywhere you look.

So, again, driving a manual doesn't automatically turn you into a good driver in the same way that driving an auto doesn't turn you into a bad one.
    You asked for opinions, and you got mine, and a lot other similar opinions to mine. Sorry you don't like it, but that is your problem for posting this thread in a forum where the overwhelming majority prefer something that you dont. Then you get upset when people don't agree with you. Come on man, you walked into a lions den with a ny strip around your neck. I love my 750il, if it had 100k less miles i would have swapped a 6 speed into it, because i prefer a standard trans. I feel like just as much of a man driving it, because it has 12 cylinders, which makes up for the womans transmission. For the record, my 750il autotragic transmission Blew up years ago, and its on its second.

A 67 imp or continental arn't exactly manly cars. They were luxo barges that anyone could drive. A 67 tripower vette, or a big block chevelle with a muncie are mans cars of that era. Theres Nothing manly about a 1.3L ford, but i'd gladly take the manual trans over an auto in that turd box. Your putting words in my mouth i never said, and thats not appriciated.

I thought you wanted to dicuss this in a friendly manner, I stated my opinion, not in an unfriendly way, and you got butt hurt and started frothing at the mouth. Sounds like you need some time behind a manual transmission buddy.
    "**if you suck at driving, it certainly could put you into a curb. Don't suck."

My Cars
    e34 535i and 98 528i
    Also we are only talking about the e34s not other cars so why do you keep comparing it to other cars? Manual in e34 good. I do not care about other crap cars. Yes this is forum for discussing, but you seem to want to call people silly and stupid which I do not see anyone else doing, so stick to what you said in the very first post.

Andy

My Cars
    750i E38 & 540i E34
    Quote Originally Posted by E39540V8 View Post
    I have a 540A, BMW don't have any factory manual 540's in Australia. I love it in peak hour traffic. I have to say though it is a great auto, compared to the GM 4 speed auto in my old car, it is awesome. As a daily commuter in the city, auto with steptronic is pretty darn good.

E39540v8
    They provide a very relaxed driving even when you're stuck in those horrible and endless traffic jams.

Quote Originally Posted by stoney85 View Post
    This is the exact reason why we dislike the auto's, its plainly obvious, most people have driven newer model cars with automatics that are modern, getting back into an E34 you realise that the car is at least 20 years old now, and the auto is average.

A manual gearbox for that matter gives some good feedback when having a spirited drive, really makes you feel in control of the driving style and more.

Also, and this is the main reason we prefer manuals, is because we are enthusiasts, as stated, these were just a car people used initially as work cars, family duties, etc, purchased by the everyday person. Now 20 years on and they are affordable to everyone, yet the reason we are on the forum is because we have a desire to learn more about the car, to share our experiences and what not. Those who prefer autos also generally aren't the ones who frequent a forum website.

I have an auto in my E34 540i, would much prefer a manual, 6 speed manual conversion will give me better hwy fuel economy, increase the power from not having an auto/torque convertor, allow me to really enjoy the occasion spirited drive whiles being in control, no undesired gear change mid corner, controlled engine braking, much better resale.

Here in aus, there was 70 E34 540i/6 sold, and when one does come up for sale, the lowest ive seen is 10k and it was rough, theres one for $15k, but i think he's off with the fairies smoking something if he expects that price. but you can pick up an Auto 540i for $4-6k, I got mine for $2k, but it needed some work to be reliable.

Guess what the only thing left that i don't feel confident about is? yep, the auto, it's due for another oil flush, but rarely on cold mornings, it plays up, slips/bangs into gear, not really confidence inspiring.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, they do.
    http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...D-587706/?Cr=1

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/kensi...er-/1087030697
    In fact it is a 20+ year old car. Every part of the E34 shouts 1980's!!
    It is an advanced car for its time and the autoboxes are not exception, but it's still an old car and there's nothing wrong with it. The owner's handbook says "Printed in West Germany". It's that old. lol.

I am an enthusiast and I quite enjoy driving an automatic, especially if it is bolted to a bigger engine.
    Last edited by BMWM5E34; 08-21-2015 at 11:06 AM.

My Cars
    1993 525i 1995 553i
    Believe me, my friend, you won't. The shittiest cars I've ever driven were all manual.
    Manual gearboxes can be very enjoyable in a 911, but in an econobox they're nasty and hateable.
    My first car I bought with my own money was a 90 Accord with a manual. Perfect example of an econobox and I enjoyed it so much I am seriously wanting to buy another to replace the other econobox in my life, a 99 Corolla with an auto. When I had the Accord I lived in a very populated area always stop and go traffic, never did I once think to my self I want an auto in my life. My E34 is one of those cars I will enjoy as an auto but I don't want it to be like that for too long.
    Last edited by XCRN; 08-21-2015 at 11:24 AM.
    95 E34 553i6 LS TR6060 Project
    93 E34 525iA Beater with no heater
    VANOS kicked in yo!

My Cars
    750i E38 & 540i E34
    Quote Originally Posted by bagekko View Post
    Out of the 10 BMWs I have owned 3 have been automatics, the X3 and X5 there is no choice, that leaves 1 of 8 and it was my first E34 a 95 530i. I learned on a manual, my first 2 cars were manual. Of the 16 cars I have owned 5 have been autos, and only 3 of them were by choice.

I actually liked my M60 530i auto, it was a decent automatic, just a little lag when putting the pedal to the metal. Zero problems in 225k miles. I wouldn't say I hate autos, I just like shifting and control. Though driving my E60 M5 6 speed in rush hour stop and go traffic is very tiring. Luckily I am not in that type of traffic often.

I drove all the new Ms at the BMW Performance Center which all had DCT. I was never a SMG fan because of reliability, but I would definitely pick DCT when getting a new M.
    For me the M5 E60 fits better with the manual, but sadly they never sold them with manual in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by zubbie View Post
    Unlike the original owners of our cars most of us enjoy the E34 because it's a "drivers car". I.E. you feel connected to the experience.

The autos of that era (and the steering box for that matter) diminish that experience imo. Like having ankle weights on while running.

oh and did someone say they crap out often?
    I'm not sure about that, original owners enjoyed them just as much, if not more, than we do.
    I would have loved to own and drive a brand new E34 back in the 90s, but I couldn't even reach the pedals at that time.

The manual and the rack and pinion give you a more connected feeling, that's true, but the E34's character is not all about sporty driving, it has to be comfortable too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmerick View Post
    America is also still "the land of the free....", a country that places a high value on individual freedoms and liberty. With a manual transmission, the driver has the freedom to choose what gear the car is in.

The driver of a car with a manual transmission is in control. This driver is not interested in letting "the man", the establishment, a committee, the government, a dictator, or some ZF engineer decide what gear he or she will drive in. This driver has freedom to choose...

Of course this driver is also free to choose an automatic, but anyway...

Interesting that you use the word "needs". Individual freedoms are not about "needs"...

Maybe these words popularized by Karl Marx sound familiar: "From each according to his ability, to each according to his need."

What about these words: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

You see friend here in America our forefathers fought for my God given right to drive a car with a manual transmission, my right to decide for myself what gear I choose to be in. It has nothing to do with "needs".

You insult freedom loving Americans by suggesting that we are "fanatics", are only interested in self-attention; you call us "petrolheads", and then you say "let's discuss in a friendly manner (with a thumbs up smiley face)"...???

DON'T TREAD ON ME...
    I respect your choice, it is fine if you feel more free driving a manual. In reality, the automatic also allows you to select whatever gear you desire, but still, I respect your choice.

Yes, the M5 needs the manual because a torque converter doesn't match with its sports European car character. But the M5 is a unique car, pretty much a sports car dressed as a luxury saloon.

Are you suggesting I'm a communist just because I believe that the M5 wouldn't feel right with an automatic gearbox? Very funny indeed.

Well, your forefathers' nation has 99% automatic cars and 1% manual ones, so you should come to the old Europe, where more than 80% of cars are manual, to enjoy the real unparalleled freedom provided by pushing a pedal with your left leg and moving a lever with your right hand!

I don't see how "petrolhead" is offensive, I consider myself one. Maybe I'm not aware of its real meaning. Enlighten me.

My Cars
    Suck
    Quote Originally Posted by Redfive View Post
    No that was the outback that cost you an iPod. Granted we were going to look at the x3.
    Never rode in the back. Can't comment but I loved being in the driver's seat. It definitely got too stiff after upgrading to the sport suspension.
    Was it an Outback? I still have pics from that day somewhere but I can't find them. :/ I thought we were in something taller than an outback though. I chalk up the ipod loss to the x3 because we were looking at it, not the vehicle we took down there, and certainly not to my own stupidity for leaving it on the roof

The x3 def rode way different in the front than in the back seat. Night and day.

Go ahead and bite. Plenty for everyone.

I'm going to take a leap and admit something 90% of the lurkers are thinking. I drive a 540 auto and choose not to drive a stick because, wait for it, I'm lazy. Don't tell anyone though. But I do like to drive a manual. I just get bored and tired of shifting all. The. Time. Sometimes I wanna be lazy. Which is most of the time.
    Last edited by mybeatupe34; 08-21-2015 at 11:32 AM.

My Cars
    E46 M3
    Even the mighty e34 m5 is slow by today's standards. If one wants fast car buy something else.

My Cars
    750i E38 & 540i E34
    Quote Originally Posted by SVD115 View Post
    That's the e34 auto
    You want to cruise?
    Get a swb 7
    That's what i did.
    The E34 5er is a gentleman's luxury sedan, not at all a sports car. An Audi R8 is a sports car, the E34 isn't.

The auto isn't slow, it shifts way faster than most drivers do with a manual.

I also did, but IMHO the 5 Series is just a baby 7 Series. The E34 is just a smaller E32 with less luxury equipment and no LWB version.
    The E34 is an executive sedan wich means it is also the perfect cruiser: comfy and luxurious interior, very good sound insulation and effortless power to maintain high speeds on the Autobahn in total comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by mboor View Post
    You asked for opinions, and you got mine, and a lot other similar opinions to mine. Sorry you don't like it, but that is your problem for posting this thread in a forum where the overwhelming majority prefer something that you dont. Then you get upset when people don't agree with you. Come on man, you walked into a lions den with a ny strip around your neck. I love my 750il, if it had 100k less miles i would have swapped a 6 speed into it, because i prefer a standard trans. I feel like just as much of a man driving it, because it has 12 cylinders, which makes up for the womans transmission. For the record, my 750il autotragic transmission Blew up years ago, and its on its second.

A 67 imp or continental arn't exactly manly cars. They were luxo barges that anyone could drive. A 67 tripower vette, or a big block chevelle with a muncie are mans cars of that era. Theres Nothing manly about a 1.3L ford, but i'd gladly take the manual trans over an auto in that turd box. Your putting words in my mouth i never said, and thats not appriciated.

I thought you wanted to dicuss this in a friendly manner, I stated my opinion, not in an unfriendly way, and you got butt hurt and started frothing at the mouth. Sounds like you need some time behind a manual transmission buddy.
    That "woman's transmission" type of thing is silly. Most of the women I know drive a manual and don't even know how to drive an automatic. Driving a manual isn't that big of a deal to be honest.

Well, you suggest automatic drivers aren't manly enough. That's not very friendly, is it?

No, I don't. I started driving manual cars only and after a few years I bought my first automatic. I even own a 318i E36 manual and drive other manual cars regularly.
    I'm not at all against manual gearboxes, I like them. What I don't like is the irrational hate on the automatics.
    Quote Originally Posted by south42 View Post
    Also we are only talking about the e34s not other cars so why do you keep comparing it to other cars? Manual in e34 good. I do not care about other crap cars. Yes this is forum for discussing, but you seem to want to call people silly and stupid which I do not see anyone else doing, so stick to what you said in the very first post.

Andy
    I didn't insult anyone. I misunderstood Illiano's message, that's all.

My first car I bought with my own money was a 90 Accord with a manual. Perfect example of an econobox and I enjoyed it so much I am seriously wanting to buy another to replace the other econobox in my life, a 99 Corolla with an auto. When I had the Accord I lived in a very populated area always stop and go traffic, never did I once think to my self I want an auto in my life. My E34 is one of those cars I will enjoy as an auto but I don't want it to be like that for too long.
    Everyone loves his first car. The first car I drove was a Fiat Brava 1.4 SX and I enjoyed it very much, just because it was a car and for the first time I was driving it!
    But that Fiat is crap, to be perfectly honest.

Manuals are very annoying in stop and go traffic, but some people like suffering.
    Last edited by BMWM5E34; 08-21-2015 at 11:58 AM.

My Cars
    BMWs
    Most women you know do not know how to drive an automatic?

Cmon dude.

My Cars
    750i E38 & 540i E34
    Quote Originally Posted by mybeatupe34 View Post
    I'm going to take a leap and admit something 90% of the lurkers are thinking. I drive a 540 auto and choose not to drive a stick because, wait for it, I'm lazy. Don't tell anyone though. But I do like to drive a manual. I just get bored and tired of shifting all. The. Time. Sometimes I wanna be lazy. Which is most of the time.
    Don't be ashamed, lazy people lead the world to advance!!

If it wasn't for lazy people there wouldn't be any elevators, remote controllers, washing machines, drive thrus, mops with a stick, vacuum cleaners, home link garage openers, drinking helmets (lol), power windows, power steering, power brakes, power seats, power everything!!
    And of course, there wouldn't be any automatic transmission or automatic anything for that matter.

My Cars
    1993 525i 1995 553i
    True it was maybe the first car I had with my money but I also had as the first car I ever drove was a 96 Accord before that with a slightly more powerful engine and an auto but even then it was only slightly better than taking the bus. I got the 90 and was devistated when I had to take the bus again after driving it for a year and a half. I have driven many cars and to list the supposedly fun auto cars I have driven; 06 G35, 78/81/81/87 Corvette (one with a 500hp purpose built drag engine), and a new Charger. Nothing appealed to me long term as my old Honda, much less this 93 Ford Ranger with a manual that is mine but its not mine.

But I get why some enthusiasts are fond of autos even though they can drive a stick. I will say this however, if I have kids they will learn to drive on a stick so they can drive anything if an emergency arrises. They are free to drive anything they want but they must know hiw to drive a stick.
    VANOS kicked in yo!

My Cars
    750i E38 & 540i E34
    Quote Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post
    Most women you know do not know how to drive an automatic?

Cmon dude.
    Absolutely true. In Spain, as in the rest of Europe I believe, you must pass your driving test with a manual car and they never mention the existence of the automatic ones, not a single time.

Most people don't know the meaning of the letters P-R-N-D and some say it's too complicated for them. LOL
    I know it sounds weird.

- - - Updated - - -

True it was maybe the first car I had with my money but I also had as the first car I ever drove was a 96 Accord before that with a slightly more powerful engine and an auto but even then it was only slightly better than taking the bus. I got the 90 and was devistated when I had to take the bus again after driving it for a year and a half. I have driven many cars and to list the supposedly fun auto cars I have driven; 06 G35, 78/81/81/87 Corvette (one with a 500hp purpose built drag engine), and a new Charger. Nothing appealed to me long term as my old Honda, much less this 93 Ford Ranger with a manual that is mine but its not mine.

But I get why some enthusiasts are fond of autos even though they can drive a stick. I will say this however, if I have kids they will learn to drive on a stick so they can drive anything if an emergency arrises. They are free to drive anything they want but they must know hiw to drive a stick.
    I agree on that, it's better to know how to drive both.

I test-drove a Corvette C6 automatic and I loved it!! If I bought a Corvette it would probably be manual, but I don't mind the automatic. It feels really good.

My Cars
    96 M3. 94 E34. 98 750il
    The E34 5er is a gentleman's luxury sedan, not at all a sports car. An Audi R8 is a sports car, the E34 isn't.

The auto isn't slow, it shifts way faster than most drivers do with a manual.

I also did, but IMHO the 5 Series is just a baby 7 Series. The E34 is just a smaller E32 with less luxury equipment and no LWB version.
    The E34 is an executive sedan wich means it is also the perfect cruiser: comfy and luxurious interior, very good sound insulation and effortless power to maintain high speeds on the Autobahn in total comfort.

That "woman's transmission" type of thing is silly. Most of the women I know drive a manual and don't even know how to drive an automatic. Driving a manual isn't that big of a deal to be honest.

Well, you suggest automatic drivers aren't manly enough. That's not very friendly, is it?

No, I don't. I started driving manual cars only and after a few years I bought my first automatic. I even own a 318i E36 manual and drive other manual cars regularly.
    I'm not at all against manual gearboxes, I like them. What I don't like is the irrational hate on the automatics.

I didn't insult anyone. I misunderstood Illiano's message, that's all.

Everyone loves his first car. The first car I drove was a Fiat Brava 1.4 SX and I enjoyed it very much, just because it was a car and for the first time I was driving it!
    But that Fiat is crap, to be perfectly honest.

Manuals are very annoying in stop and go traffic, but some people like suffering.
    The "womans transmission" was ment as an off handed joke, to further Russel your feathers, relax man. In my experience, in the US women are more akin to automatics. I know exactly 2 women that know how to drive a standard, and only 1 is halfway decent at it. Maybe things are different in Madrid. I don't think the dislike of automatics is irrational like you suggest, there are very good reasons why most of us here prefer a manual trans. They are cheaper to repair, more reliable, less maintenance and more enjoyable to drive for most enthusiasts, whom make up the majority of the folks on this forum.

For the record, i don't hate automatics, i just prefer a standard trans. In another 20 years, when my knees don't work anymore and my back problems get worse, my opinion may change. But for now, i'll row my own gears.

My Cars
    1993 525i 1995 553i
    I think what I have noticed is the unpopular transmission choice is the one enthusiasts prefer. As automotive enthusiasts we like to stand out from normal drivers and one way to do it is with the transmission. I had a conversation with someone native to Europe and questioned why I would want put so much effort into a manual swap and stated around his area autos were prefered by enthusists for this type of car even though manuals were more common around there. So there is your answer, despite this section being international, majority of its members reside in North America so you will see more manual fans than auto.
    VANOS kicked in yo!

My Cars
    750i E38 & 540i E34
    Quote Originally Posted by mboor View Post
    The "womans transmission" was ment as an off handed joke, to further Russel your feathers, relax man. In my experience, in the US women are more akin to automatics. I know exactly 2 women that know how to drive a standard, and only 1 is halfway decent at it. Maybe things are different in Madrid. I don't think the dislike of automatics is irrational like you suggest, there are very good reasons why most of us here prefer a manual trans. They are cheaper to repair, more reliable, less maintenance and more enjoyable to drive for most enthusiasts, whom make up the majority of the folks on this forum.

For the record, i don't hate automatics, i just prefer a standard trans. In another 20 years, when my knees don't work anymore and my back problems get worse, my opinion may change. But for now, i'll row my own gears.
    No problem. I see your point, most women don't give a damn about cars, so why bother learning the complicated way when you can just stick it into D and drive?

They are indeed, in Spain most people hate automatics even though most people has never driven one. This is the promissed land to the E34 section of Bimmerforums! LOL

Those are real arguments and I respect them. What you stated before about manly and girly transmissions weren't.
    I know you were joking, that's fine.

But don't you enjoy your 750iL as it is? I don't see why can't everybody enjoy both manual and automatic cars. I think it is the wisest thing to do.

- - - Updated - - -

I think what I have noticed is the unpopular transmission choice is the one enthusiasts prefer. As automotive enthusiasts we like to stand out from normal drivers and one way to do it is with the transmission. I had a conversation with someone native to Europe and questioned why I would want put so much effort into a manual swap and stated around his area autos were prefered by enthusists for this type of car even though manuals were more common around there. So there is your answer, despite this section being international, majority of its members reside in North America so you will see more manual fans than auto.
    Very true, the cultural difference plays a major role in this subject.
    BMW is one of the few companies that sold manual high performance cars in North America back in the 80s and 90s, whereas in Europe manuals are everywhere and you only see automatic transmissions in high end luxury vehicles.
    I guess that's why American enthusiasts love the idea of a manual high performance sedan and the BMW 5 Series is one of the few options available (the Mercury Marauder, Chevy Impala SS and all those big powerful sedans that you had were all autos).

Anyway, I try to be open to all kinds of different transmissions, engines and types of cars.
    Everyone has his preferences, of course.

My Cars
    96 M3. 94 E34. 98 750il
    Honestly, i love driving my 750il. The automatic in it does everything very well. Nice and smooth, comfortable shifts when in drive, and nice firm quick shifts when in sport mode. This is the only auto BMW i own, and it's nice to get in it and just cruise without worrying about that third pedal. Like i said, if it were 100k miles less, id strongly consider a manual swap. But its fine just the way it is. An Auto is completely acceptable in a car of this nature. I would never even consider an auto in my M3. I think it all boils down to the type of car, and the driving style of the owner

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast