Thread: Is this known as the fan clutch that should be replaced as routine maintenance

My Cars
    87 Cabrio

Is this known as the fan clutch that should be replaced as routine maintenance

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_0616

Hi all:

Per Jim Levie's recommendation, I'm replacing my radiator and a few other components of the cooling system that I didn't replace during my last refresh of the hoses.

Is item 2 the "fan clutch" that needs replacing or is it some other part?

My Cars
    87 325is
    See http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...2#post28771112 for what I recommend if you haven't already looked at that.

But yes the fan clutch needs to be replaced every 100k. The part bolts into the fan and is the connection from the fan to the water pump shaft.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

My Cars
    2001 740il
    Just don't pay that much for it, I got one WITH a new fan blade for under $50shipped for my son's 325e.

My Cars
    e's
    do the rolled newspaper test on the clutch .... replace it if it fails the test ....

My Cars
    87 Cabrio
    thanks all - I've had my car more than 10 years and it has about 170K with unknown change on the fan clutch, since I'll be in there anyhow to refresh timing belt and radiatior, I'm planning to proactively replace rather than test to find it good only to have it fail at an inconvenient time. Cheers!

My Cars
    87 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by 87Cabrio89is View Post
    thanks all - I've had my car more than 10 years and it has about 170K with unknown change on the fan clutch, since I'll be in there anyhow to refresh timing belt and radiatior, I'm planning to proactively replace rather than test to find it good only to have it fail at an inconvenient time. Cheers!
    Right, you will be removing the fan while doing the other work. And then it is just three or four bolts to swap in a new fan clutch. The clutch isn't all that expensive (about $80 from rmeuropean for a Sachs OEM part).
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL