Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: Radio modules in e39 (Japan import)

My Cars
    1999 BMW 528i (Japan)

Radio modules in e39 (Japan import)

I live in the UK, but i've just bought a Japan import (1999 528i Sedan)

I'd like to swap out (if possible) whatever radio module i've got with a european one, so I thought i'd start by identifying all the modules i've got already.

I've located the e39-amp, CD changer and VICS module in left hand locker in the boot. The Navigation DVD player and trimble are suspended in the center of the boot.

Can anyone suggest where the Radio Tuner and TV modules might be?

Thanks!

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Check www.realoem.com. Enter the last 7 characters of the car's VIN. Hit enter and bookmark the page. Check the part # for the car. Then, go back to www.realoem.com and "build" a European car by selecting the various characteristics of the car. Check the part #.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 528i (Japan)
    Thanks Marco.

I've seen realoem and I agree it will definitely help with identifying the replacement modules.

I still need to find the existing modules though, as it seems they are not where you would expect them to be.

Worst case scenario is I start dismantling the entire car interior...

Thanks

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

There's perhaps more to this than perhaps would most would initially think! You 'might' have to do some coding and physical unit changes, or you 'might' have to do some loom changes.

Here's a thread from a number of years ago over on bmw5.co.uk

http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/40292-...an#entry484578

I'd say it's not worth it to retrofit and convert to the oem modules, especially once you factor in the additional costs of adding oem bluetooth along with it's disadvantages and the oem hybrid analogue/digital TV tuner module. If you can DIY fit everything, which is a hassle and a pain, then you'll save quite a lot and you 'might' come in at just under £1000 if you are lucky to collect all the modules/looms needed ('i'll assume you don't have the 16:9 widescreen everyone wants - getting a genuine E39 one is harder than you'd realise and also when correctly identified when being sold as an E39 monitor, the asking prices are higher)

In your last line you do say you don't mind dismantling the interior, so perhaps you might well have to go that route once you find everything to install/retrofit. If you do, then once done, you'll still have that generally regarded as mediocre oem sound quality too.

I'd suggest putting in a premium brand double DIN head unit which will have all the latest features and more for around £375-475 ish, in the shape of the Parrot Asteroid Smart or the Alpine iLX-700 units. They're both shallow depth and thus, don't need the airbox modifying to make room for them.

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    1999 BMW 528i (Japan)

Update

Thanks everyone for your help - it's certainly useful to know what aftermarket options would work. However, I was mainly interesting in just making Radio, TV and Sat Nav work in the UK. I also wanted to keep everything OEM if possible, to keep the 'vintage' look

I removed the boot lining (which was very easy) revealing the the radio tuner and TV tuner. I checked the connectors I had, and went about sourcing a radio module and a hybrid TV tuner. On eBay, I managed to purchase a used BM24 for £70 and a hybrid tuner for £260. As long as my GF doesnt find out how much it cost, the cost is not an issue!

I was fully expecting one or both of the modules to not work for compatibility reasons, or because they were dead. I was pleasantly surprised when they both worked without any issues. The TV is still only on the 4:3 screen, so i'll probably swap that for a 16:9 at some point. I'll also have a crack at the sat nav, which I expect to be more tricky.

Photos below showing the module locations on a Japanese e39. First, the TV and Radio Tuners:

The sat nav and GPS module are suspended from the middle of the boot:

The AMP and CD Changer are in the usual place next to the left hand wheel arch:

My Cars
    BMW E39 540i M Sport

Sat Nav in Japanese import

Quote Originally Posted by jenkineo View Post
    I live in the UK, but i've just bought a Japan import (1999 528i Sedan)

I'd like to swap out (if possible) whatever radio module i've got with a european one, so I thought i'd start by identifying all the modules i've got already.

I've located the e39-amp, CD changer and VICS module in left hand locker in the boot. The Navigation DVD player and trimble are suspended in the center of the boot.

Can anyone suggest where the Radio Tuner and TV modules might be?

Thanks!

Hi
    I know i'm digging up an old thread here, but i also have just imported an e39 5 series, and am looking to convert the sat nav.
    I bought an mk4 bmw nav computer, but unfortunately the Japanese model works in a different way to the uk one...
    Just wondering if you ever managed to find a way forward with this problem?
    I managed to get the radio working by just coding the original one, but would like to get the nav working now, if poss....
    any ideas?
    Cheers
    Mark

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi Mark,

Try getting a non Japanese spec GPS computer and plugging that in?

That's the resolution jenkineo posted about in his last response which got his setup working apparently.

Cheers, Dennis!