Page 1 of 33 123456789101126 ... LastLast

Thread: the grip missile. chronicling the sadventures of a neglected M3

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC

the grip missile. chronicling the sadventures of a neglected M3

where do i begin? the beginning? i'm too old and you whippersnappers won't read a tale that long. let's go back 3 years. the final chapters of a long story that make up the preface to this story.
    i've owned more VWs than i can count. i got my first one when i was 19 or 20 and that was well over 15 years ago. but my VW career reached its zenith with my R32 build.
    :pictures:

20240942538_4fd5e2864f_k.jpg
    it broke. it broke a lot. it broke clutches with broke input shafts which eventually broke me.
    so i took it apart and sold it as pieces.
    i wanted something with a longitudinal driveline to cure my woes. so i went where many do.

it was fun. it wasn't fast. but it looked nice after i owned it a while and it was fun. but it never gave me those love feelings that cars should give car guys. so i offered it up to the world. my friend offered me a trade and what was once mine, became his and i got something very the same and very different.

the morning after i got it. (night iphone pics are worthless. especially of black cars)
    this is what i would call a fixer-upper. but i'm a vw/audi tech. so should be no issue i can't solve, right?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by doktor b; 08-09-2015 at 02:47 PM.
    always trying to make it lighter and faster

^^former build: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-neglected-M3/
    current build: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...car-build.html
    instant grams: doktor_b

My Cars
    M3 Saloon
    Are R32's really that bad? Funny thing, over ten years ago when I couldn't find a clean enough e36 m3 sedan I was looking into them. They just seemed so heavy and underpowered for the GTI and so expensive for the r32 for a hatchback.

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    more pics when i get home. Flikr and my work computer are not cooperating.
    *e36 content from here out also*

- - - Updated - - -

i loved that car.
    it was endlessly dependable....til i strapped a gt4088r to the engine (fully built). then, the engine was still reliable...and powerful to beat the band. but trans woes were my undoing. had i left it NA, or even supercharged which was frustrating because the V9 is junk, it would still be here with me and i might not have an M3.
    but it was heavy.
    funny you should compare it to a GTi. i got pulled on by a bolt-on gti on the freeway and the supercharger went up for sale immediately. that SC kit cost me more than i care to comment and i would get walked on the highway by GTIs with exhaust, intake, and a tune. enfuriating. although after i spent a fortune building the engine and bolting up a turbo, i didn't get beat by anyone.
    Last edited by doktor b; 08-09-2015 at 11:19 AM.

My Cars
    1999 328I
    So what was it like to go from a fully built awd car to an e36 M3? Was the R32 fast in a straight line and not so good at handling? And would you say that the A3 that you have is much faster then your M3 just wondering ?

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    Quote Originally Posted by 3VurtSpeed28I View Post
    So what was it like to go from a fully built awd car to an e36 M3? Was the R32 fast in a straight line and not so good at handling? And would you say that the A3 that you have is much faster then your M3 just wondering ?
    the R32 was very fast in a straight line. but i'd lowered it so much that it no longer handled very well. it was fun, but it IDK that it ever handled as well as my M3 has in all its iterations over the last year and a half.
    my wife's new A3 is much faster than i expected. it's so different from the M that even driving them back to back, it's hard to compare them. it's a solid little car, but my M3 has lost quite a bit of weight so it's no slouch either. i'll see about racing my wife at a later time and i'll let ya know how it goes.

- - - Updated - - -

so the first year went kinda like this.
    i bought gas.

i tried drifting.

i also had a minor mishap whilst drifting. i straightened out and then lifted. (never lift) i hit some crubs, 2 bricks, and nearly a fents. (vortex guys will get this) then i got to repair my car. new control arms, welded up a DS1, new tire, new tie rods, new alignment....good as previous. (not good as new. that's just silly)

my wife and i drove to GA for SOWO. had a lot of fun and the car was flawless. i actually got a text from the car following us home because we crossed most of TN, and half of KY at over 100mph and i hadn't realized it. car just runs that well.

i bought new fogs...again. i trashed one when i went crub-surfing. fresh oil, and we were off to H2Oi in OC,MD. old vw habits break hard. plus all my friends are vw nerds. so that's just what we do for my birthday every year. (Sept 27. go ahead and start shopping for me now)

we had an absolute riot. i didn't drive the car hardly the whole weekend. *which was good. traffic was nuts and the cops were all too eager to dole out stance-taxes and impound cars for nigh on nothing at all.

that's the story from beginning-ish to last October.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    What are your plans for the car? Anything special?

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    sometime in the ballpark of Oct/Nov 2014 i split the HRE 526s that came with the car.
    then i did nothing with them for quite some time.
    then i ordered all new lips and 2 new barrels from my good friends at Stateside Wheel. (IG: @statesidewheel)
    so there's that.
    i also ordered a widebody kit from Felony Form. ya see, i wanted more tire but didn't want to raise the car. so i needed to make more car to put the tires under.
    seems logical enough.

fast forward some months and many delays and lo! the overs arrive. (wheels were already assembled and shod with fresh rubba. but i don't have those pics queued up yet.)

i was so happy. i had no idea wtf i was going to do to make them stick to the car or how i was going to line them up. but i was chuffed nonetheless.

so i started by offering them up to the stock body to see what was what.

you can see they re-radiused the rear arch as well as widened it. (hard to see the added width from this angle)
    so i got stuck right in with the angle grinder. *i bought an air-saw thinking that Nakai-San knew what he was doing. lol. he must have a much nicer air-saw than i have. that thing was awful.*

i elected to go with rivets as that's what i had and i didn't think i'd be able to get to the back enough to use nuts/bolts. i also wasn't gonna spend a lifetime installing riv-nuts so i could use sweet cap-head allens. (which look very nice)

finally all together. Ted was pleased...

very pleased...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rajicase View Post
    What are your plans for the car? Anything special?
    i have many plans. i just need to decide which one to go with.
    the general theme tho is less weight, more power, more grip, and never raise it.
    never ever.

- - - Updated - - -

so lets talk about rimz.
    i know all you experts out there are doing typing stretches and getting your computers up to temp so you'll be ready to crucify me for what comes next.
    unfortunately for the haters, i don't particularly care.
    this isn't a spec car.
    it's not a properly competitive car.
    it's mine and it's fun to drive.
    it looks pretty good, but it's a long road to drive. so i'll get there in time.
    also. i think it's just funny to say RIMZ instead of wheels because in my mind it's like a nickname. it's shorter. (i'm aware both words are monosyllabic)

so HRE 526s are long since out of production.
    and the set that i got had been previously refreshed.
    but i didn't like them. they had potential, but it wasn't very apparent.

so i took them apart to refinish, re-lilp, and re-barrel them.

i wasn't going to pay for powder coating up front until i knew how i wanted them to look. so i painted the centers.

came out pretty well.
    i sent out the bolts (all 160) to be media blasted and PC'd "illusion purple"
    my wife's favourite color is dark purple and i have a [mostly] black car, so i figured it'd jive. *no pics. sorry*
    time to start mocking things up.
    first with old lips, fresh bolts, new center caps.

then new lips for side by side comparo.

the new lips i left unfinished. they're raw and that's a pretty accurate representation of how the car is built. subtly raw. idk. i liked it so i went with it.

here's some assembled wheel, my tattooed left leg, my 40+ year old Technics receiver, and a lot of plastic to keep my tan carpet tan. also pictured is my lowrider dog. her name is Stella and she's a Welsh Pembroke Corgi. she is also known as a #catrabbitdog as she exudes characteristics of all 3 creatures.

all assembled, torqued, and sealed. one bolt did not make the cut as i had no nut for it. it's on my dresser to this day.

who's ready for tires? yeah, me too.
    Federal 595RSR. they're soft and grippy and cheap and they're wider than advertised.

those are 235/40r17 on a 17x10. so much wider than regular 235s.

turned out that the fronts were ever so much too wide to be able to turn....so i got to order some Direzza II star specs. a little narrower wasn't really an option as AMERICA doesn't see it fit to offer a 225/40r17 in anything other than a slick. so i got 215/40s. DII star specs were selected because they have the widest actual section width of same sized tires.

i was not stoked. but they cleared the car. i wasn't terribly keen on rubbing tires on FRP fenders and having a big chunk break off in the middle of the Tail of the Dragon.
    turns out that if you take enough weight out of your car, and set your alignment well, you can do just about whatever the heck you want with stretched tires.
    who knew?
    the way they're vilified on forums and in tire shops, you'd be forgiven for expecting them to kill me from the trunk during transport. turns out, they're still just tires and they'll still grip if you set them up to. #omg
    not the best fitment, but it rolled and it handled and it was aligned.

That brings everyone to mid-March of 2015.

My Cars
    98 M3
    i straightened out and then lifted. (never lift) i hit some crubs, 2 bricks, and nearly a fents.
    Did you hit any burshes?
    (I'm old and formerly a VW guy as well lol)

- 98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 124k and officially worthless - 89 m3, alpine/black 143k and officially old - 2000 323it, tiag/grey, 169k and officially boring

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    after March, the press was on to get ready for the VW R32 Wookiees in the Woods trip to the Tail of the Dragon.
    i was staying with some fast friends, so i had to be able to keep up. (full bolt-on mkVII gti making over 400whp and a cammed, supercharged R32 making similar power)
    couldn't afford more power, so i did the next best thing.
    less weight.

all this heavy junk went into the garage.

have to hide my trunk since i still daily this hooptie

oh yeah. iron brakes are heavy too. UUC/ECS managed to cock up my order and not get the 2 piece floating rotors in time, so i threw on some e46M blanks and ran with it.
    also threw in a 3mm spacer to buy a few more mms of clearance between the bleeders on the calipers and the nuts that hold the wheels together.
    Attachment 544526

then i'd had enough of looking like a half-hearted cop car. we i bought a huge roll of vinyl and we tried our hand at that.

i drove it pretty gently at first. seeing as my 95 never had traction control, my abs doesn't work, and my stretched tires were out to get me.
    after a few runs, and some heat in the tires, i was pushing pretty hard and the car was superb. i was able to hang with much faster cars. it was the most fun i've had driving possibly ever. fantastic weekend. i want to go back, but it's just far enough that i have to make a whole weekend of it....and two jobs makes that a bit of a challenge without proper planning.

there's April 2015
    on to May.
    for the last 10 years, May has meant SOWO in Helen, GA. so once again, i was packing the car and my wife and we're off for some vw-related buffoonery.
    the vinyl job was pretty terrible. (much like drifting. it is way, way harder than youtube would have you believe.) so it came off and i relented to pressure from two unnamed friends to plasti-dip the car. #shame
    obligatory SOWO dam shot

breakfast shot.

then we came home and i had to do something about that awful PD. it was just awful. we sprayed it from too far away so it has the texture of velvet. #blackvelvet

so i improvised

it's better. it's still pretty ridiculous. but it's not as horrid as having it all flat/rubber/velvet/shame.
    i also lowered it a smidge to return a little bit of that e36 rake that i like. (hard to capture as i'm an awful photografist)

and finally, my M3 decided to legit brake something.
    first, my beloved #8clamp kicked the bucket. the PO had the less rusty straight parts of 8clamp not clamped at all and could be removed by hand. so i cobbled 8clamp together as a band-aid til i decided what i wanted to do with the exhaust.
    alas, 8clamp eventually forced my hand.

and was subsequently replaced with a more expensive, shinier, heavier exhaust leak.

then on my way home from home depot one sunday, i had a small explosion in the rear of my car...or so it sounded.

a solution was formulated

and some 'while i'm in there' maintenance was performed
    Attachment 544533

and that pretty well brings you guys all up to now.

somewhere back there, undocumented were some brand new coilovers, an RK tune, 24# Ford injectors (complete with custom spacers), a 3.5" AFE/Bimmerwold/Riot Racing/803maf intake, a power steering system removal, and likely more mods i just don't remember.

i do have tons of plans. however, i have limited funds with which to execute said plans. so i'll do my best to keep this updated as a means of keeping me honest and keeping me motivated to install the parts that are yet in my toolchest at work. (ARP headstuds, BW spherical RTABs, and AKG RTAB pocket reinforcement plates)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by notMpowered View Post
    Did you hit any burshes?
    (I'm old and formerly a VW guy as well lol)
    fortunately for me, there were no burshes around.
    else, i'd've certainly hit them and removed more parts from my car with them.
    glad someone got that sweet reference.

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Coming along nicely. Moment of silence for 8clamp.

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex24 View Post
    Coming along nicely. Moment of silence for 8clamp.
    thank you for that.
    not a day goes by that i don't see something that reminds me of 8clamp.
    a piece of pipe, a loud exhaust, a rusty anything...

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    there's something I dig about cars that are aggressive but don't have a pretty paint job, it's kind of a mad-max-ey type look that I feel like would be perfect for a car like this... it's gotta be fun not to care too much about getting nicks/scratches etc.

just kinda works here
    TRM Coilovers 670F/895R | BBS LM | Corsa RSC36

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    Quote Originally Posted by propcar View Post
    there's something I dig about cars that are aggressive but don't have a pretty paint job, it's kind of a mad-max-ey type look that I feel like would be perfect for a car like this... it's gotta be fun not to care too much about getting nicks/scratches etc.

just kinda works here
    thank you. i was surprised when it looked somewhat acceptable half-stripped of PD.
    this car is very mad max. moreso in ethos than in execution. but idk how long that will last. i have some louvers that i intended to install in the hood. i've built it to take a beating and not miss a beat. i haven't made up my mind about the louvers as i haven't decided what i'm going to do for more power and they'll be placed appropriately once that decision has been made.

i constantly struggle with my desire for more aero. no BFW for me tho. i want a splitter and canards and side splitters and a functional diffuser. i entertain the notion of a plexiglass nascar-style spoiler tho.

i suppose i will just try stuff out and continue to care little about the consequences. *cars are supposed to bring us joy, not stress*

it's worth mentioning that i did not just attack this poor hooptie with the grinder and adrenaline and wreck pristine cosmo-schwartz. it was/is keyed on every panel except the trunk (been replaced) and both bumpers. so it looked haggard anyway. i won't spend the money on proper paint anytime soon, if at all. i intend to enjoy the hell out of driving it and not worrying about show car paint. it would need to have all the paint stripped off and started over. the car has ~195k miles on the chassis and ~95-100k on the S52 swap. there are rock chips in places you didn't know you could chip with rocks.

My Cars
    1999 328I
    Go to Mateo Motorsports for some canards. He hooked up @ohhaimang M3. Check out Mateos work his instagram is @mateomotorsports.

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    Quote Originally Posted by 3VurtSpeed28I View Post
    Go to Mateo Motorsports for some canards. He hooked up @ohhaimang M3. Check out Mateos work his instagram is @mateomotorsports.
    i follow Mateo on IG. i've talked to him about some aero stuff in the past. when i'm ready, he'll be my first call for something custom if i don't make my own. i'm fairly handy.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Coming along nice. Definitely following this one.

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    worked on the bucket yesterday.

changed my O2 sensor. i drove thru some seriously flooded roads 3 weeks ago and it set a CEL. code was for O2 sensor. i ordered it. it arrived. i procrastinated. CEL went off. i waited another week. changed it...this time with a big gob of dielectric grease in the socket becasuse midwest.
    also changed the oil which was a hair overdue. but i've never had problems with Rotalla 5w40 in my turbo cars, so i figure an na car that doesn't get beaten til it's warmed will be fine-ish-enough. whatever. i used good oil and it never gets low. sue me.

then i started engineering.
    not too long ago i collected a used MM underpanel from an acquaintance. got that up and in place and i was pleased. i also converted from belt-driven fan to SPAL 2100cfm pusher a while back. with no shrouding and no ducting, the radiator has done pretty well, but i knew it could use some help. so i took a piece of .040" sheet aluminum i had laying around for interior panels that i haven't started and i started drawing.

like that 'maybe'? good times when measuring with a calibrated eye. we'll see how it fits soon.

hoping to get it installed today. we'll see how busy i am at work.

d-r-b out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Fab on Doktor. I've thought about doing something similar as I've removed the AC and condenser and now have a bit of room in front of the radiator.

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    installed radiator wing today. my calibrated eye needs to be recalibrated. had to make some serious adjustments to my duct to make it fit the radiator itself. that being said, i beat it into submission and it should now direct the airs where i want them instead of allowing them to just zip about all over the front of my car.

no pics because i was working with a deadline (on the lift at work during a slow day) and i forgot (actual truth of the matter). i'll try to snap something thru my missing kidney tomorrow so you can all bask in my DIY glory/absurdity.

unfortunately, it is pouring rain here in Indy and i may be forced to take my Ark to job2 tonight instead of the M. so no real world testing until it dries out and becomes unbearable outiside again. (tomorrow)

also looks like i'll be changing a wheel bearing on the driver's rear again as it has the teensiest bit of play and i'm driving from Indy to Philly in two weeks.

no rest for the wicked*

*see also; those too poor to pay someone to do awful maintenance work on their car

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Oh fun, rear wheel bearings

My Cars
    97 M3 Coupe, 01 S2000
    Crubs, 2 bricks, and nearly a fents? Burshes? I never thought I would hear of that again, and here it is (also former VW owner/ vwvortex member/ recent convert to m3 life)
    Car looks great, really love the wheels

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    Quote Originally Posted by rajicase View Post
    Oh fun, rear wheel bearings
    worst part is that i did them both less than 6 months ago. it's a bit frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by mollys2k View Post
    Crubs, 2 bricks, and nearly a fents? Burshes? I never thought I would hear of that again, and here it is (also former VW owner/ vwvortex member/ recent convert to m3 life)
    Car looks great, really love the wheels
    lol. i'm just glad i didn't get the load cam knock.
    thanks! i'm going to refinish them over the winter. gonna try something a little different...

also!
    the radiator wing worked! temps last evening did not climb nearly as quickly as usual (being an e36, i'm ever watching the temp gauge). i also am now channeling so much more air into my engine bay, i can smell it inside the car. this is not ideal. looks like i'll be changing my leaking (also less than 6 months old) valve cover gasket. temp ran up like normal today and held, so the Tstat is still working. we'll see what happens when i take it to Philly in two weeks.

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    wife is out of town for two weeks.
    planning on spending a lot of evenings in the garage.
    hopefully some interesting updates before Labor Day.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by doktor b View Post
    wife is out of town for two weeks.
    Its about to get REAL.

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    designed a smaller rear seat delete panel earlier this week.
    installed it last night. no more rattling panel. (finally)
    then vacuumed the interior. that was ~5 months overdue. looks like i need to shampoo the driver's floormat. are there any nice rubber options out there for E36 floor mats? my last VW had Monster Mats in it and i loved them. you could seriously dump a pint of liquid in the mat and it would keep the floor dry. MOF, i still have the OEM carpet mats from that VW because i had them stashed under a couch to keep them clean and flat and new. *note to self: sell VW mats*

i'm currently looking for a suitable tank to install in the trunk to use as a washer reservoir. much of the weight reduction in the M3 is from the firewall back. so i'm not worried about shifting ~10lbs from front to back. i'm not going to delete the washer system. that is a shitshow if ever there was one on a daily driver.
    any suggestions for plastic tanks that i can mount in the trunk? i have a coolant overflow tank, but it's only ~1L of capacity. i'm not keen on filling it once every 3 weeks. (lot of construction here in Indy, so i get to use the washers a lot)

i'll post some pics when i do something cool. i promise.

Page 1 of 33 123456789101126 ... LastLast