RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Is the N20/26 noted for timing chain issues?

My Cars
    E36

Is the N20/26 noted for timing chain issues?

Hi everyone,

I am a dealer tech but haven't been exposed to the product long enough to know.

There are no bulletins or campaigns that I can find, but I had one last week towed in; found the timing chain guides broken in 20 pieces and siting in the oil pan.

Now I have another in the shop with a nasty whining noise (fluctuates with RPM) that I have determined to be internal. Not looking good.

The engines are all under 50K miles.

My Cars
    z3
    Kind of a little hard to make the call now as they are very new engines. If you are noticing problems now, it's likely its going to be a problem on more. It's a well-reported problem on the N47 so I wouldn't be surprised to see it be a problem with the N20 as well

I know some newer BMW engines (B48/B58) moved some of the chains to the rear of the engine. I'm hoping THEY don't develop issues as that would be an engine-out job

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    '15 I01Rex , '11F25
    There was a recall/service action for the camshaft, based on production date.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Quote Originally Posted by NGC1300 View Post
    Hi everyone,

I am a dealer tech but haven't been exposed to the product long enough to know.

There are no bulletins or campaigns that I can find, but I had one last week towed in; found the timing chain guides broken in 20 pieces and siting in the oil pan.

Now I have another in the shop with a nasty whining noise (fluctuates with RPM) that I have determined to be internal. Not looking good.

The engines are all under 50K miles.
    When was the first oil change on these cars?

We have been seeing noise complaints requiring timing chain and oil pump chain replacement. Seems to be more prevalent on vehicles that have gone past the mileage for the first oil change by a significant amount.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    2012 BMW 328i
    Hi NGC1300,

Could you provide me with an update on your experiences with the timing chain issues? I am considering purchasing a used 2012 328i with 35k miles on it, but I noticed it had more noise in the engine bay near the timing chain than the other 328i's I looked at. Similar noise to the videos I have seen about this issue.

Following up on that, I recently saw that BMW has released a redesigned timing chain for the N20 and N26 engines. If the timing chain was the issue, would this be covered under the 4 year / 50,000 mile warranty? The can Im looking at still has 6 months left.

Thanks in advanced! I appreciate the advice

My Cars
    Landrover
    I work for a dealer. Ive heard about chain issues for other techs at school but as of yet haven't seen one my self. The problems with the timing chains are probably rare. Oil service changes done on time is a big thing.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    We've done about a dozen timing/oil pump chain replacements between the two stores I handle. Its not terribly common. Oil change interval is important.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Quote Originally Posted by Critter7r View Post
    Oil change interval is important.
    +100000000000

My Cars
    2004 audi a4 quattro
    Oil service does not seem to be the major factor here because every one that I have replaced I have found the upper timing chain guide that clips into the lower section to be breaking at the point it clips together. I believe it is allowing the chain to tilt outward slightly causing pressure on the vanos gears causing the noise. I'm on my 3rd one this year.

My Cars
    2013 X3
    I have a 2013 X3 31000 miles, very concerned about the timing chain issue. So I called my local dealership and talked to a 12 yr service tech, I'm in SC where (I think) my X3 was made. The tech said he had never heard of any issues with this problem. Could this be true? Has BMW referenced this in a bulletin? Or some other internal or external acknowledgement? Obviously BMW knows of the problem. No problems or noises from the vehicle yet but I'm trying to be proactive. Thanks for the groups input!

My Cars
    2013 BMW X3
    I would be concerned about buying a 2013-2014 car with this engine. Here is why:

Last week the timing chain broke on my 2013 X3, which has the N20 engine. It had about 52,000 miles on it, and it's about a year out of warranty. We bought ours in April 2012, one of the first 2013 X3s that were manufactured. The drivetrain error was accompanied by an engine oil pressure error, both of which came on as I was turning into my garage. No other warning. I didn't drive the car after that--it was towed from my house to my mechanic.

My independent mechanic told me the timing chain was broken, and also told me the N20 engine has had problems, that I should research this issue further. That's when I first read a long thread on Bimmerfest about this problem ( http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158 ), and I also found that there's a Facebook community devoted to this problem ( https://www.facebook.com/BMW-Problem...3617047394760/ ). The timing chain problem seems to be better known in Europe.

I had the car towed to a dealer; they were surprised, and I do believe them when they say they haven't seen a lot of broken timing chains. That said, they confirmed the timing chain had broken, and have not yet been able to explain why. Did the plastic chain guide break? I would love to know why the chain broken on a car with low miles that was well-maintained.

I've been waiting to hear what BMW will do to make this right. So far they have offered a Trade Assist of $2000, which just made me angry. I have not yet heard what they would be willing to offer as a goodwill repair, but the trade assist offer has us considering hiring an attorney.
    Last edited by mlciac; 06-16-2017 at 08:43 PM.

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Moved from General BMW sub-forum.
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    '15 I01Rex , '11F25
    First I can understand your frustration, but by all means be polite, if you've already spoken to the Service manager and the General manager ask for the phone number of the area service rep. I'm sure you can come up with this number from a web search, but this indicates you are not going to take no for an answer. The oil chain module (yes, it comes in a module) and the guide failure is also a known issue. The dealer says he hasn't seen a lot of broken chains, but guide failure is very common, so he must've at least seen that. I no longer work as a dealer tech, but the dealer I worked at was relatively small and we saw a couple of these a week. BMW should help you out as I suspect that if there is a class action suit, there will be a settlement and extended coverage. You really shouldn't have to hire an attorney. The only caveat is if the vehicle has been maintained by the book. There is no way a vehicle with 52K on the odo should suffer this catastrophic failure and they should "Goodwill" the repair.

P.S. I don't believe the dealer, he smells a several thousand dollar cash repair.
    Last edited by ptarditi; 06-24-2017 at 07:30 PM.