Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need new rotors... any suggestions?

My Cars
    1999 BMW 740il

Need new rotors... any suggestions?

My "new" e38 came with a new in the box set of Wagner front and rear pads. While starting to change them today, I can see that my rear rotor is pretty well worn. So, new rotors all around it! lol

I'm usually a cheap ass when it comes to rotors, so please give me your honest opinion of these... waste of money? Or do you have another recommendation? Remember, I'm not looking to buy Brembo quality here

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brake-Rotors...1eae2e&vxp=mtr

My Cars
    2001 740 i Sport
    I've used something similar to those you posted in the link on my '95 6 years ago. Not bad for the price and they did what I needed them to do...assist in stopping my car.
    Last edited by 4liter; 08-06-2015 at 07:12 PM.
    [/IMG]

My Cars
    1999 BMW 740il
    Ok I'm going to eat my words about Brembo rotors... this new set from Bavarian is pretty low price, IMO.... opinions? http://www.ebay.com/itm/BREMBO-UV-Co...8bcbc6&vxp=mtr

My Cars
    E38 E36
    Zimmerman, Zimmerman, Zimmerman Cross-drilled.
    "Let me tell you what Melba Toast is packin' right here, alright. We got 3:15 open differential with an M5 sway-bar outback, a 4.4 liter V-8 with Bosch sequential fuel injection, four cams, 32 valves, VANOS units using Beisan Systems seals, 10 to 1 pistons, a conservative 282 macht schnell horsepower, all planted to the earth with AC Schnitzer Type II Racing Wheels and Michelin PS2s at all four corners, an M5 rear sway-bar outback, and a Strong-Strut tower brace up front. We're talkin' some Deutschland muscle."

My Cars
    2001 740 i Sport
    That is a good price and you get the name brand too...no matter what rotors you get, they'll need to be replaced within 2 years or so. May be sooner if you ride the brakes. 7's just love eating them up.
    Last edited by 4liter; 08-06-2015 at 07:28 PM.
    [/IMG]

My Cars
    1999 BMW 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt C View Post
    Zimmerman, Zimmerman, Zimmerman Cross-drilled.
    The price might be just a bit too high for me.. +$382....

http://store.bimmerworld.com/zimmerm...otors-p77.aspx

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 4liter View Post
    That is a good price and you get the name brand too...no matter what rotors you get, they'll need to be replaced within 2 years or so. May be sooner if you ride the brakes. 7's just love eating them up.
    I think that settles it for me... I'm going with the original ones I posted. Easy day.

My Cars
    E38 E36
    [QUOTE=Umuzidan;28722690]The price might be just a bit too high for me.. +$382....

http://store.bimmerworld.com/zimmerm...otors-p77.aspx

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, and Holy crap! That's way more than I paid for mine, but that was back in March of 2008.
    "Let me tell you what Melba Toast is packin' right here, alright. We got 3:15 open differential with an M5 sway-bar outback, a 4.4 liter V-8 with Bosch sequential fuel injection, four cams, 32 valves, VANOS units using Beisan Systems seals, 10 to 1 pistons, a conservative 282 macht schnell horsepower, all planted to the earth with AC Schnitzer Type II Racing Wheels and Michelin PS2s at all four corners, an M5 rear sway-bar outback, and a Strong-Strut tower brace up front. We're talkin' some Deutschland muscle."

My Cars
    2001 740 i Sport
    Nice...
    [/IMG]

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    I've had success with these on my 98 and will grab for my 00 sport when needed. Can't beat the price either...

http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?n...787601&alt=web

My Cars
    BLK 01 sp, 20 Trail Boss
    Zimmerman +1

My Cars
    I bought cheap assed "Prime Choice" brand, a Canadian budget brand, from ebay. Cross drilled and slotted, plus zinc coating @ $30 each. I've had them on the car for a year, they perform great, and not a single trace of rust on them. I wasn't expecting much, considering the price, but I've been thoroughly impressed.

When I went to source a pair of rear discs recenty the price had gone up a bit since I had done the fronts, but they were still in the $50 range per wheel.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by purplecty View Post
    I've had success with these on my 98 and will grab for my 00 sport when needed. Can't beat the price either...

Whoa, those are a good price. So I just bought them

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Umuzidan View Post

Whoa, those are a good price. So I just bought them
    You won't regret it

This is when I did mine on the 98

Last edited by purplecty; 08-06-2015 at 09:31 PM.

My Cars
    '01 DINAN7 '03 M5

I had them on my silver and they where great

My Cars
    1999 BMW 740il
    ^^^^ Very nice! I can't wait

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Wow, that first link made me search and I found these guys:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/391099787601

SO cheap, I have $800 of brakes in my rockauto basket right now. Trouble is, I need 750 front brakes but I'm sure they could help me out.

Who cares if they're no-name, point is.. ceramic, less than half price, and they'll look good for at least a year =D

Oh and I'm sure they'll stop the car.

- - - Updated - - -

There's also these guys: http://www.ebay.com/itm/271823956137

|| 1995 740i || M60B40 || DUDMD || ̶o̶r̶i̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶b̶l̶u̶e̶ Mercedes Brilliant Blue Metallic || Style 168 Wheels 1" Spacers ||

My Cars
    1999 BMW 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamos View Post
    Wow, that first link made me search and I found these guys:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/391099787601

SO cheap, I have $800 of brakes in my rockauto basket right now. Trouble is, I need 750 front brakes but I'm sure they could help me out.

Who cares if they're no-name, point is.. ceramic, less than half price, and they'll look good for at least a year =D

Oh and I'm sure they'll stop the car.

- - - Updated - - -

There's also these guys: http://www.ebay.com/itm/271823956137
    If you need 750 brakes, couldn't you get these? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brake-Rotors...a7b7bc&vxp=mtr

My Cars
    1998 740il
    Did you paint your callipers?
    Black 1998 740IL, DSP, Front Heated Seats, DSP, DSC, NAV, CD, Rear Power Sunshade,
    16x9 Monitor, Nav IV, Staggered M Series Wheels, Facelift Tail Lights...

My Cars
    2010 750li & 2008 X5 4.8
    I got the same ones as purp. Running them with Akebono Pads all around. No complaints so far. Here's a better pic of what I got.

Last edited by roys740; 09-02-2015 at 02:14 PM.

My Cars
    99 528i Sp, 01 740i Sp

Purp - those are some sweet looking rotors!
    Assuming you used the pads that come with the "set", how is the feel at the very end of coming to a complete stop?

I ask because so far no matter how carefully I modulate the pressure my 740 (with 1/2 worn unknown brand rotors and pads) the whole car rocks back and forth a small but noticeable amount when coming to a stand still.

About a month ago I put cheap ($22 each rotor, $25 for pads from Rockauto) Centric "C-TEK" rotors and "Posi-quiet" pads on my E39, and the feel from initial bite to standstill is very good IMO. I'm able to glide to a stop with no jerking/rocking/grabbing.
    Plus virtually no dust

I won't be changing out the 740's brakes for another couple months but would like to have the same type of modulation/feel.
    thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Roy -
    Maybe it's the camera/angle, but the holes in yours look smaller than in Purp's pic with the M-pars?

If you don't mind commenting to my question to him above I'd appreciate it.

Any particular reason you didn't use the ones that came with the rotor kit?

thanks!
    Last edited by Nurburgringer; 09-02-2015 at 11:24 AM.

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    I used pagid pads with my rotors and they have a great bite and oem feel but get very dusty. I have a few friends that have used the ceramic pads that come with these rotors and haven't complained and like the no dust. Deepends how picky you are about the brake feel. Ill go with these and the ceramic pads they come with the next time I need to do a swap...

My Cars
    '95 740i
    I have the rears upstairs, and ordered the fronts the other day, they're in Canada right now - just not here.

I'll be using the pads that come with, and'll update here =)

|| 1995 740i || M60B40 || DUDMD || ̶o̶r̶i̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶b̶l̶u̶e̶ Mercedes Brilliant Blue Metallic || Style 168 Wheels 1" Spacers ||

My Cars
    99 528i Sp, 01 740i Sp
    I used pagid pads with my rotors and they have a great bite and oem feel but get very dusty. I have a few friends that have used the ceramic pads that come with these rotors and haven't complained and like the no dust. Deepends how picky you are about the brake feel. Ill go with these and the ceramic pads they come with the next time I need to do a swap...
    my #1 concern is stopping better than the car in front

Since this is a street car I'm mostly interested in consistent, smooth, relatively long-lasting brakes so near OEM-level braking power (with MUCH less dust) is fine. Just noticed in the 740 that coming to a standstill with absolutely no jerking or (minute, but there) rocking was much tougher than with my 5er.

My Cars
    2010 750li & 2008 X5 4.8
    rotors.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurburgringer View Post
    Roy -
    Maybe it's the camera/angle, but the holes in yours look smaller than in Purp's pic with the M-pars?

If you don't mind commenting to my question to him above I'd appreciate it.

Any particular reason you didn't use the ones that came with the rotor kit?

thanks!
    Here's a better pic of what I got. The other pic was a stock photo. Also I didn't order mine from ebay, so I didn't get the Kit. I ordered mined directly from the vendor. I already had the new Akebono pads. Since I been riding on these rotors for over a year I don't have a complaint.
    Last edited by roys740; 09-02-2015 at 02:23 PM.

My Cars
    99 528i Sp, 01 740i Sp
    Cool - how did you contact the vendor, and how much $$ for just the front rotors?

After a bad experience with ATE "Powerslot" rotors on the 528 about 8 years ago (they picked up pad material unevenly and causes bad juddering under braking) I'm a bit hesitant to go with cross drilled AND grooved (even if the grooves had nothing to do with the juddering) but with several positive reports here, if the price is right, why not. They sure do look cool esp with the M-Pars, and as long as they were drilled/chamfered correctly and you're not abusing them with multiple 150mph-0 stops shouldn't have cracking issues.
    Pad choice of course is just as crucial, so that they "play nice" with the rotors.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast