Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Porsche enthusiast buys 99 M3 coupe

My Cars
    4Runner/911
    Former 911 owner here. E36 M3's are great cars , fun to drive. I've owned several. But there is something about an air cooled 911 that nothing can replace. They are extraordinary cars.
    1988 911 - Carb'd - Twin Plug - 3.6
    1999 SL 500
    2016 4Runner TEP - Gone
    1995 M3 - LS2 - Gone
    1998 M3 - Gone
    1991 M5 - Gone
    1993 RS America - Gone
    1995 M3 - Gone

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 coupe
    Took the new car up in the mountains today, over 3 passes up to 11,000 ft elev. Totally impressed with this M3 and the up-grades I had done. Planted and great torque!
    5500-6500 rpm at every shift, car didn't miss a beat
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1999 BMW M3
    1991 325iX

My Cars
    98 M3 99 M3 07 328XI
    Quote Originally Posted by Type911 View Post
    Took the new car up in the mountains today, over 3 passes up to 11,000 ft elev. Totally impressed with this M3 and the up-grades I had done. Planted and great torque!
    5500-6500 rpm at every shift, car didn't miss a beat
    Awesome car! I thought I might have had the nicest 99 Tiag M3 in the state until I saw yours! What part of CO are you from?

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 coupe
    Hi John,
    I'm down near Durango... Be cool to get some Colorado enthusiasts together sometime!
    1999 BMW M3
    1991 325iX

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    yeah, that is clean. Well done.
    TRM Coilovers 670F/895R | BBS LM | Corsa RSC36

My Cars
    M3 Saloon
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnShannon View Post
    Awesome car! I thought I might have had the nicest 99 Tiag M3 in the state until I saw yours! What part of CO are you from?
    Quote Originally Posted by Type911 View Post
    Hi John,
    I'm down near Durango... Be cool to get some Colorado enthusiasts together sometime!
    Whoa just noticed this! Awesome sauce. I'm all for a little Rocky mountain chapter bf.c meet if you guys can decide on a time. Hail the silver saloon from golden..! so new I haven't even logged enough miles for a first proper oil change haha

My Cars
    98 M3 99 M3 07 328XI
    Quote Originally Posted by hide1 View Post
    Whoa just noticed this! Awesome sauce. I'm all for a little Rocky mountain chapter bf.c meet if you guys can decide on a time. Hail the silver saloon from golden..! so new I haven't even logged enough miles for a first proper oil change haha
    That would definitely be great to meet up sometime. I've seen quite a few e36 M3's up north, as I work in Arvada. Is the gentleman with the DAKAR 97 M3 still out there on the forums? We met randomly months ago when I offered to buy his car, funny enough it he said he just bought it (just rolled off the delivery truck as I pulled up) and hadn't even driven it yet. Now I'm back in an e36 M in addition to my 330xi and just love the e36.

My Cars
    M3 Saloon
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnShannon View Post
    What part of Arvada? Probably have seen me at some point since I work there too. Small world. Did you take the e36 up lookout mountain yet?

My Cars
    2007 Porsche 911 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by GG Allin View Post
    Former 911 owner here. E36 M3's are great cars , fun to drive. I've owned several. But there is something about an air cooled 911 that nothing can replace. They are extraordinary cars.
    Current 911 turbo owner, and I'm looking for an E36 M3, I have to say the e36 M3 is great value for the fun. If anyone has a good deal in mind, please send it my way. Thanks !

My Cars
    97 BMW M3/4/5
    nice car, as long as you enjoy it that is all that matters.

P.S. if that car had Dinan Suspension and you are looking to sell it, let me know!!

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 coupe
    Dave,
    Thanks! Suspension was all stock. Upgrades below totally transformed the car.

I upgraded to : H&R sport springs, Bilstein sport struts/shocks, lowered to perfect ride height, Apex Arc 8 17x9 et 42 wheels (square set up) 12 mm spacers up front, Bridgestone SO4 245/40/17, 2 deg camber up front, Turner motorsport 30/24 sway bars, new RTAB's, JT Design rear shock mounts, X-brace, Rogue short shifter, and a ZHP shift knob
    1999 BMW M3
    1991 325iX

My Cars
    97 BMW M3/4/5
    Thanks, sounds amazing!

I had thought since it was Dinan Stage 4 when new you had the suspension. I will be doing something, not sure exactly what just yet!!!

My Cars
    2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe
    I highly recommend reinforcing RARB mounts. My was sheared off from Eibach sway bar.

GGray is offline Did someone say racetrack BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    A few BMW's...
    Looking good! WISE choice to tint the windows and preserve that MINT black interior!!!

Go look at a LTW TALL wing I love those on the E36M3 coupe with a LTW front splitter or Max Velocity RS lip spoiler looks great..

I sold my Avus E36M3 6 months ago after 13 years.. I just bought a Dakar Yellow theft car to bring back to glory... And track..

They are great driver cars and the inline six sounds great at full wail!
    Gary Gray

If you can take it apart you can make it faster!

My Cars
    98 M3 99 M3 07 328XI
    Quote Originally Posted by hide1 View Post
    What part of Arvada? Probably have seen me at some point since I work there too. Small world. Did you take the e36 up lookout mountain yet?
    Near ward/64th street or Candelas off of Indiana. I haven't been to lookout mountain yet, will have to check it out.

My Cars
    97 M3, 08 X3-6m
    Golden Gate Canyon Road is better. Lookout mountain has too many bicyclists with no regard for double yellows. Just my 0.02

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 coupe
    ...Or you could come down to the SW part of the state. Loop from Durango to Telluride is spectacular and the roads are some of the best in the country
    1999 BMW M3
    1991 325iX

My Cars
    07 X3, 00 Z3C, 97 M3

One of each for me - I haven't had the 996 long enough to pick a favourite. The M3 has a few mods, especially on the handling side that make it a more engaging drivers car, while the 996 is stock (and the suspension is tired). Looking forward to changing that over the winter. The cab certainly sounds better, especailly with the PSE exhaust. It will be interesting to see how they stack up with similar suspension in the spring.

I drove the M3 today for the first time in 2 weeks - a good reminder that it is not time to part with it yet. Such great cars.

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is
    Just got into a 996tt to take the place of my garage queen M3 as the baby of the family with the M3 turning into track machine. We could be Twinkies! Talk about a completely different driving experience.....

Twins.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by The Producer View Post

One of each for me - I haven't had the 996 long enough to pick a favourite. The M3 has a few mods, especially on the handling side that make it a more engaging drivers car, while the 996 is stock (and the suspension is tired). Looking forward to changing that over the winter. The cab certainly sounds better, especailly with the PSE exhaust. It will be interesting to see how they stack up with similar suspension in the spring.

I drove the M3 today for the first time in 2 weeks - a good reminder that it is not time to part with it yet. Such great cars.

My Cars
    1994 M3 Eurospec (25/45)
    Quote Originally Posted by RRSperry View Post
    Not a fan of the black wheels on a silver car... It just looks wrong on that color...

I've got a friend that used to own Pcars...911's, boxter, boxter S... All of them were money pits, that were always in the shop...He now owns a Z4M roadster and daily drives a MINI JCW. He said NEVER again back to a Pcar. He like driving them, but owning them was financially hard...

Yeah, it sounds like your friend either bought a couple poor examples, or beat the tar out of them. We've had a Boxster S and 996TT in the family for years, and 2 E36 M3s...all wonderful cars, but the two Porsche's have cost way less in maintenance. Admittedly they're driven less, but not by a huge margin, and the Porsche's have been literally bulletproof. Not a single issue on either during entirety of ownership. Literally not one.

1994 M3 Eurospec (Canadian Edition) #25 (http://www.bmwmregistry.com/detail.php?id=12244)

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 coupe
    A little maintenance and cleaning over the weekend. Changed the oil/filter and flushed the brake fluid. Brake fluid was flushed 23,000 miles ago...in 2004 !
    Pedal feels much better now. Amazing how leak free all the hoses and drivetrain are on this car...not even a seep out of any hose or gasket.
    Took some Zep citrus degreaser and cleaned the undercarriage...removing 16 years of road grime. Looking better underneath...
    1999 BMW M3
    1991 325iX

My Cars
    96 M3. 94 E34. 98 750il
    Nice undercarriage, id eat off that.
    "**if you suck at driving, it certainly could put you into a curb. Don't suck."

My Cars
    95 M3, RIP 95 ACS S3 M3
    OP, welcome, nice car. Silver isn't bad. Personally I like dark tint with silver, and as for my wheel color, I'd go powderblue, periwinkle or lavender powder sprayed te37s. Clearly you did your research on which mods to attack immediately upon purchase. Much respect, glad to have you in the bfc.

- - - Updated - - -

sperry may be happier if you went forged metal SSR, OZ or BBS, rather than my rice suggestion however, lol

Addendum: I too have driven an air cooled mid 60's 911 (around East bay twisties on many occasion), indeed unparalleled. You'd need to lighten the M perhaps 500lbs to achieve similar effect, post suspension upgrade.
    Last edited by Getconnectedav; 08-30-2015 at 05:34 PM.
    X-brace, ACS fr strut brace, RSMs/Z3, RTABs, TMS sways, eibach springs, MM underpanel, UUC lt fly, 3.5 Samco elbow & MAF, JConforti chip, AA pipe, Al coolant bits, SS brake & clutch lines, LTW seats & door cards, GT intl CF trim, no center console, UUC EVO3, M5 lit knob

My Cars
    98.5 Dakar Coupe M3
    That Dinan package is perfect! I had it before I hydro locked and the new engine in a Turner STG IV (cams, manifold eat..) and I really enjoyed the punchiness of the Dinan setup vs the STG IV. Yes it makes more power but I enjoy my torque nice and low.

Congratulations.
    1998.5 Dakar M3- Turner stage 4+ kit, AFE stage 2 intake-Dinan BBTB-Dinan CB-UUC LTWFW- UUC SS-Recaro speed seats (EVO IX)-Planted brackets-AST4100s (500/686)-Vorshlag camber plates-Dinan front strut bar-Stamped OEM LTWs Gunmetal-other odds and ends.
    2008- Daytona 675- Race bike #756-Penske-Traxxion-RL quick shifter-Dunlop
    2009- NinJA! 250R- No real reason-003s-SS lines-Traxxion
    2007.5- Chevy Classic Duramax-Tow vehicle-Lowered-Edge CTS-4''TB

RRSperry is offline Senior Moment Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    It's not the brand, it's the color. I'm not a fan of black wheels on silver cars. It just kinda looks weird to me. (My chili red Mini has black wheels.) And yes, forged wheels are generally better. Lighter, stronger, much more expensive...lol...
    No matter where you go, there you are...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast