Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Porsche enthusiast buys 99 M3 coupe

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 coupe

Porsche enthusiast buys 99 M3 coupe

I have owned several 911's over the last 20 years, from early cars to a
    997 GT3. Never considered a BMW, even though I have always liked and respected the marque. I have a Rgruppe friend that had a mint condition, 40,000 1999 E36 coupe she has owned since new. All records, Dinan stage 4 upgrades when new, meticulous maintenance and care for the last 16 years.
    Turns out she is buying a new M4, so right place, right time and I now own a very cool M3 !

Car is Titanium silver with black leather interior. 2-18-99 production with the usual options, and the ugly DS2 rims. Now I have to say silver is my least favorite color, but this car was too nice to pass up. I just had to change a few things up to personalize it, at the same time maintain as much originality as possible.
    With the help of Bullet Performance in Costa Mesa, CA the car got a handful of purposeful and tasty mods!
    H&R sport springs, Bilstein sport struts/shocks, lowered to perfect ride height, Apex Arc 8 17x9 et 42 wheels (square set up) 12 mm spacers up front, Turner motorsport 30/24 sway bars, new RTAB's, JT Design rear shock mounts, X-brace, Rogue short shifter, and a ZHP shift knob

To round out the silver and black wheel color combo, I had the windows tinted
    with Suntek CXP dark.

Car was shipped out from southern California to my home in Colorado last week. I'm totally impressed with how this car handles and drives, wow! The 911's have been in the garage since I got this M3. Love these M cars and suspect I will always have at least one M3 in the garage from here on out. This one is a keeper...!

Below are a few photos:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1A.JPG (85.6 KB, 354 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (691.6 KB, 347 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (638.8 KB, 304 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (614.8 KB, 310 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (617.0 KB, 331 views)
    Last edited by Type911; 08-05-2015 at 04:06 PM.
    1999 BMW M3
    1991 325iX

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 coupe
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (623.5 KB, 367 views)
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (578.8 KB, 267 views)
    • File Type: jpg 7.jpg (603.8 KB, 253 views)
    • File Type: jpg 8.jpg (617.5 KB, 333 views)
    • File Type: jpg 9.jpg (632.3 KB, 236 views)
    1999 BMW M3
    1991 325iX

My Cars
    1998 bmw m3 sedan
    Nice!
    98 M3 sedan

My Cars
    '98 M3 3.2 Coupe Euro, '97 528iA
    Very nice! I live in Germany and track my M3 and it also has black BBS. But I still own the original Styling 24 and the car looks better with them on it! Although Gold is also cool!

http://picasaweb.google.com/Azizov Life is too short... don't try to make it even shorter! (c)2003, Azik

My Cars
    M3
    Very nice! I recently bought a 98 Estoril Coupe with 50k miles under similar circumstances. A friend of mine was about to trade it in so I gladly took it off his hands. Congrats on the find!

My Cars
    96 M3. 94 E34. 98 750il
    Nice car, and nice find. But "ugly DS2's".... thats where i have to draw the line lol. i love that the 911 is in the garage and the M3 is not.
    "**if you suck at driving, it certainly could put you into a curb. Don't suck."

My Cars
    E36 M3 Evo & US 3.2
    The black rims and tint on that silver car just destroyed the taste of the car. You will learn along the way owning a E36 M3 the best way to make it look clean and nice.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by found2secure View Post
    The black rims and tint on that silver car just destroyed the taste of the car. You will learn along the way owning a E36 M3 the best way to make it look clean and nice.
    Seriously?

Destroyed? Whats your problem? Why does he have to 'learn along the way' how to make his car look nice. What you are trying to say is; "You'll learn along the way what mods you are/arent allowed to make in order to gain the approval of the bmw snobs on the forums." He knows how to make HIS car look nice because its HIS car. Nobody needs your approval, if you don't like the wheels, fine. Keep it to yourself and let others modify their cars to make themselves happy.

It's these kind of posts that make people not want to post pics of their cars, because the elitists who think anything other than stock/modded to conform with the other elitists is trash and rice.

Nice car OP, looks really good.

My Cars
    e36 - 1998 323is
    DSII are not ugly, that's for sure.
    1998 323is - m50 intake manifold / 328is exhaust / Shark Injector

My Cars
    M3 Saloon
    Quote Originally Posted by mr ilia View Post
    LOL. That's what I was going to say. I liked my dsII's. Squared polished LTWs are why I do not still have them..

My Cars
    98M3/4/5 SpeedMiata
    I hear so much about P-cars it's always nice to hear a little comparison. My only experience driving one was an '85 Carrera S. Boy, that thing felt as crude as a UPS truck compared to my M3/4/5. I know it's not a fair comparison, though, because the cars are separated by a number of years, but I still thought I'd come away more impressed with the Porsche. I'd love to try driving a newer one for sure. But there was a reason the M3 was awarded the Best Handling Car of all back in '97. I think the tactile feel of the car is pretty impressive and immensely satisfying.
    Current:
    98 M3/4/5 Alpine/Magma
    05 MazdaSpeed Miata

Sold:

00 Honda VFR
    99 528iT M/T
    98 M3/4/5 Arctic/Dove
    94 R-package Miata
    89 Honda NT650

87 325is turned SpecE30

My Cars
    Prelude-328-M3-4Runner
    I also like my dsii's! That looks like a very nice car op, I'm sure you'll love it! I had a titanium on black 99 and really miss it, especially that color!
    CBlock

RRSperry is offline Senior Moment Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    Not a fan of the black wheels on a silver car... It just looks wrong on that color...

I've got a friend that used to own Pcars...911's, boxter, boxter S... All of them were money pits, that were always in the shop...He now owns a Z4M roadster and daily drives a MINI JCW. He said NEVER again back to a Pcar. He like driving them, but owning them was financially hard...
    No matter where you go, there you are...

My Cars
    M3
    Well ill +1 your car usually agree with not liking silver too but your WHEELS yes actually make it look a lot better for me nice job very clean too and ds2s arnt my taste aswell

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Don't mind the haters, there are lots of them here and most aren't very educated in their opinion. You have an awesome example of an E36 M3, hope you enjoy it in the coming miles!

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Mklock View Post
    Well ill +1 your car usually agree with not liking silver too but your WHEELS yes actually make it look a lot better for me nice job very clean too and ds2s arnt my taste aswell
    Totally agree.

My Cars
    98' M3/4/5
    Man, everyone is hating so much on HIS car. If we should all keep the cars stock mine as well only make one model and one color so we don't offend anyone with our different modding tastes. Car looks good OP. What % tint did you go with?

1995 M3 S52 turbo (Sold, like an idiot) -----------------------------------1998 M3/4/5 (Hopefully turbo soon, Nope sold this too)..................................E92 335i(God, I miss the E36's)

My Cars
    99M3, 95Dakar, e46Zhp
    I want to add that Apex arc 8 wheels are always the right choice.
    Coming Soon! thebimmerdude Youtube Channel.... Everything Bimmer...Everything...duuuddee
    1999 e36 Convertible Hardtop - Sypder (byebye softtop conversion )
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...5#post28143955

My Cars
    96 M3. 94 E34. 98 750il
    i don't see how everyone is hating on this car. 2 people didnt like the tint and wheels.... well 3 if you include myself. Other than that its a really nice ride.
    "**if you suck at driving, it certainly could put you into a curb. Don't suck."

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Sweet ride man. I love it
    1998 M3/4/5
    1988 325is *Sold*

My Cars
    e36 m3
    I like the black rims and dark tint is always good. Now to start uncorking that savage into a more serious machine.

side note: AZIK!!
    Last edited by silvermsane; 08-06-2015 at 05:09 PM.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by found2secure View Post
    I wish I had consulted you before I made these changes, would have been so much easier dealing with a resident expert from "Orange Country, CA" seeing how the car has been in the OC all of it's life. What do I do about the Turner Motorsport sway-bars that are a clashing non-factory blue color?
    Your statement is akin to putting sauerkraut on a brat. I think it completely destroys the taste of the Brat, French's mustard and Heinz catchup only! Some like sauerkraut, some do not. Other than that who cares?

Did you read the part about Silver being my least favorite color? Too much silver in my opinion is "just wrong"

As far as learning what the "best way", I do remember in 1971 being about 5 years old helping my grandfather change the hoses on his 1968 BMW 1600 and thinking the orange colored marine style hoses weren't factory, but they worked. Total concourse fail! Wish that car was still around.
    I've been around German cars all my life, air-cooled VW, BMW's and Porsche's....learn something about them every day, thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mr ilia View Post
    You are correct sir!

What I meant by ugly, is cleaning DS2 wheels is an ugly job. DS2's are the reason spray-on wheel cleaner was invented.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RRSperry View Post
    Not a fan of the black wheels on a silver car... It just looks wrong on that color...

I've got a friend that used to own Pcars...911's, boxter, boxter S... All of them were money pits, that were always in the shop...He now owns a Z4M roadster and daily drives a MINI JCW. He said NEVER again back to a Pcar. He like driving them, but owning them was financially hard...
    RRSperry, it's like any car, your results may vary. Seems as this was the case with your friend.

All my 911's have always been well-sorted and very well maintained. I have addressed the known problem areas and never had a breakdown.
    Wait, there was a time when my ignition coil failed on my 1970 911E coupe in Palmdale, CA. Original coil had logged 170,000 miles. A cheap silver Bosch coil made in brazil for $35 took care of it. The correct black NOS German coil I eventually installed was around $75
    BTW....it's Boxster

I do love the German ingenuity inherent in BMW's and Porsches!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bmuum3 View Post
    Man, everyone is hating so much on HIS car. If we should all keep the cars stock mine as well only make one model and one color so we don't offend anyone with our different modding tastes. Car looks good OP. What % tint did you go with?
    Thank you!

I'm not typically a fan of tint on any car but two things came into play. I wanted to break up the full on Silver, and I live at 7000 ft elevation with an average of 300 days of sunshine a year. Point being, the sun is intense up here. The tint helps protect my all original interior

The tint is a Suntek CXP dark. 18 %
    Last edited by Type911; 08-06-2015 at 08:20 PM.
    1999 BMW M3
    1991 325iX

My Cars
    E36
    welcome!

I'm also a pcar owner...but have yet to drive it ('66 911 sitting in the barn at home)
    BMW CCA Illini Chapter Vice President
    1995 M3
    - My Favorite DIY's and FAQ's

My Cars
    welcome!

car looks great. RRSperry, thats one data point. I wouldnt let that stop you from owning one. Pcars are great

My Cars
    98 M3
    Nice to hear a porsche owner being impressed with the e36. I just spent all my porsche money and I'm going to have to wait a while to own one so it softens the blow a little bit. The e36 m3 really is a crazy amount of fun for the money spent.

- 98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 124k and officially worthless - 89 m3, alpine/black 143k and officially old - 2000 323it, tiag/grey, 169k and officially boring

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast