Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: E39 V8 TU Alpina B8s Gearbox CU EGS Flash

My Cars
    bmw
    Just an update (for those interested in doing this).

The new flash seems to have an issue, specifically it doesn't like to shift at the higher rpms. I am not sure if its because there is still a rev limit in place (VF said it was 7000rpm?) or whether the adaptations need resetting.

I tried using INPA but there doesn't appear to be an option to reset TCU/EGS adaptations on my version. I have used a local workshop's Autologic to reset these in the past but haven't had a chance to get there for a while. I am thinking of trying Tool32 which might have a EGS adaption reset function. Will let you know.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by Zep View Post
    Just an update (for those interested in doing this).

The new flash seems to have an issue, specifically it doesn't like to shift at the higher rpms. I am not sure if its because there is still a rev limit in place (VF said it was 7000rpm?) or whether the adaptations need resetting.

I tried using INPA but there doesn't appear to be an option to reset TCU/EGS adaptations on my version. I have used a local workshop's Autologic to reset these in the past but haven't had a chance to get there for a while. I am thinking of trying Tool32 which might have a EGS adaption reset function. Will let you know.

interdasting Zep. I wonder if its because it's confused by the out-of-sync redline, i.e. "it doesn't go to 11", aka, eg. in otherwords, if it has a table of values that ends at 6800 or something maybe there's a logic overrun in a lookup function. purely speculation of course. can you identify specific RPM point where it stops shifting? might be different in different gears too...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;
    Looks like your idea to flash the code to a separate EGS was the best one of all. I really hope there is a solution to this. It would be nice to have standard EGS, and then the 'super hero' secret identity version, as well.

My Cars
    two 3's one 5 three 7's
    I had a similar problem when I upgraded my EGS program to the Dinan one before I raised the rev limiter of the engine. The DME and EGS rev limit settings are fighting each other at WOT. Your tranny wants to hold gear to its new redline but your engine is saying it's time to shift and it's not happening so lets cut the power.

The only way I could get it to shift under these circumstances was to back off of the throttle at the stock rev limit, wait for the tranny to shift then go WOT again.
    Rinse and repeat for the next upshift and so on....
    Made for the most frustrating full throttle driving experience ever ��.

The only solution was to raise the rev limit on the DME to be greater than or equal to that of the performance EGS tune. It has been great ever since.

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;
    Is there a simple way to raise the rev limit on the DME without buying someone else's tune?

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    I could probably make a WinKFP file with a raised rev limit

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;
    So the short answer is only with a lot of work? That it hasn't been done before, with all the custom work being done on various forums by the coders? huh. go figure. I would have thought that the rev limit would be one of the first things to fall.

Thanks for the insight.

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    It's not hard per se, it's just beyond the sort of coding most people do.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by gmak View Post
    So the short answer is only with a lot of work? That it hasn't been done before, with all the custom work being done on various forums by the coders? huh. go figure. I would have thought that the rev limit would be one of the first things to fall.

Thanks for the insight.
    There is zero.point.zero real public work done on the M62TU DME, and there's no public checksum utilities etc. etc. like there is for MSS50/52/54 for the S52/54/62 motors.

Aside from real pros, there are a few guys w/ pro tuner tools who can work with them but there's not a public resource whatsoever for those engines.
    Terra is the closest to having provided a little public domain support by posting up binaries that support the M clusters and different differential final drive ratios but even then its a case of him using a tuner-grade tool to do it, not some public-domain quick and easy change some hex and re-checksum situation like there is for those other DME's.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;
    Ok. That explains a lot. Thank you.

On another note, I followed the directions for the Alpina - without being hooked up to the car. Started up WINKFP. When I do <Update ZUSB> and pick "GD8602" for <ECU family>, 7509370 doesn't even show in the <ZB Number> column. In fact, I have 7509369 but that file isn't anywhere on my disk (I searched).

I don't want to hi-jack this thread, but I'm wondering how this could be.
    Last edited by gmak; 11-02-2015 at 08:12 PM.

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Terra is the closest to having provided a little public domain support by posting up binaries that support the M clusters and different differential final drive ratios but even then its a case of him using a tuner-grade tool to do it, not some public-domain quick and easy change some hex and re-checksum situation like there is for those other DME's.
    Yeah if I knew how to calculate the checksums by hand, I'd share that information with all of you. It seems the non-M DMEs are generally more of a pain than the M ones for whatever reason.

I wonder if any of the calculations are similar to other Bosch ME7 DMEs.

My Cars
    bmw
    Ok. That explains a lot. Thank you.

On another note, I followed the directions for the Alpina - without being hooked up to the car. Started up WINKFP. When I do <Update ZUSB> and pick "GD8602" for <ECU family>, 7509370 doesn't even show in the <ZB Number> column. In fact, I have 7509369 but that file isn't anywhere on my disk (I searched).

I don't want to hi-jack this thread, but I'm wondering how this could be.
    Have you setup WinKFP properly with the e39 daten files? If not, google how to do it as there are so many guides explaining it out there.

My Cars
    BMW 850 and E55 AMG
    If you guys like, I can do some changes to the files.

Let me know what file you want, maybe an auto and a manual latest version, and I'll see about bumping up the RPM limiters and speed limiters and they can be repacked into .0da's

I'm surrently looking to see what can be done with the non TU.

I haven't seen any mention of anyone trying the Z8 version as yet on the M62 non vanos.

Giftschrank Projekt

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;
    Quote Originally Posted by Zep View Post
    Have you setup WinKFP properly with the e39 daten files? If not, google how to do it as there are so many guides explaining it out there.
    Oh yeah. Twice. I've gone to BMW coders. I'm going to start over fresh and see where that leads. I'm thinking that in the WINKFP options screen that I need the EDIABAS directory in the last box. I have the ""

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;
    My Bosch TCU showed up today. GS8602. Now if only I could understand what was happening in my WINKFP I could drop the Alpina tune and try it.

I've installed WINKFP fresh and reloaded the SP-DATEN files via the import/export menu choice. But here is something weird. For example in the GD8602 folder on the disk (C:\EC-APPS\NFS\DATA\GD8602 ) I can see the A7509370.0DA file. However, in WINKFP, I see it as 7509369. And every other file in the CD8602 is the same. WINKFP shows a ZB Number that is 1 less than the file name in NFS\DATA\GD8602.

Is this normal? Is there some .ini or .his file that I need to modify? Does anyone have an answer?

UPDATE:
    Here is something interesting. I opened the GD8602.DAT file. The numbers I am seeing in WINKFP are called ZB-NR in this DAT file. They are associated with a HW_NR and a SW-NR. The A7509370 is a software number. It corresponds to a ZB-NR of 7509369 and a HW-NR of 7508972.

Now these instructions make sense.

HowTo update to Alpina using WinKFP

Download this flash file: A7509370.0DA
    Copy 'A7509370.0DA' to GD8602 folder, typically 'C:\EC-APPS\NFS\DATA\GD8602', overwrite the existing file
    Open WinKFP, click Configuration and disable 'Test Checksum'
    Now connect cable to your car
    Click Comfort Mode/Komfort Modus, enter ZUSB/ZUSB eingeben
    enter '7509369'
    ZUSB 7509369 is normally a japanese Version, i used this ZUSB because it uses the same program data (0PA) as alpina does.
    now continue with programming in WinKFP, after updating program (0PA) and data (0DA), you should be ready to go!
    You may need to clear codes and reset adaptations in TCU/EGS
    Have fun!
    Wen I follow Zep's instructions (without being hooked up to the car) and press the <F3>, I don't see GS8602. I see GD8602. Is this OK?

-Update-
    -connect cable to obd connector of car

-Load Winkpf software

-Press (F1) comfort mode

-Press (F3) Update ZUSB

-Choose ECU GS8602

-Press (F2) Choose ZUSB

-Choose ECU GS8602 and next to it there will be ZB-Numbers..Find 7509369

-Click ok

-If you have done it correctly so far you will see at the top Assembly Identification number 7509369 (Alpina software ) and it will automatically reference 7508972

-Press (F4) Enter VIN ( make sure you double check you have entered the correct VIN numbers)

-click ok

-Press DONE (F8)

-Press (F3) Program

Last edited by gmak; 11-04-2015 at 06:50 PM.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    ZB or ZUSB assembly numbers represent a lookup that provides a program + a data calibration.

So when you give it a ZUSB the software will look it up and translate into "load this .0PA and this .0DA".

The vast majority of the time (not always) yes the ZUSB is "minus one" from the .0DA filename.

So the A7509370.0DA data calibration file is pointed to by the ZUSB assembly 7509369 which also points at (taking your word for it as I'm not bothering to open the files... ) 7508972.0PA program file

I can't say re: ECU family name, I think GS worked for me but don't recall.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    bmw
    My Bosch TCU showed up today. GS8602. Now if only I could understand what was happening in my WINKFP I could drop the Alpina tune and try it.

I've installed WINKFP fresh and reloaded the SP-DATEN files via the import/export menu choice. But here is something weird. For example in the GD8602 folder on the disk (C:\EC-APPS\NFS\DATA\GD8602 ) I can see the A7509370.0DA file. However, in WINKFP, I see it as 7509369. And every other file in the CD8602 is the same. WINKFP shows a ZB Number that is 1 less than the file name in NFS\DATA\GD8602.

Is this normal? Is there some .ini or .his file that I need to modify? Does anyone have an answer?

UPDATE:
    Here is something interesting. I opened the GD8602.DAT file. The numbers I am seeing in WINKFP are called ZB-NR in this DAT file. They are associated with a HW_NR and a SW-NR. The A7509370 is a software number. It corresponds to a ZB-NR of 7509369 and a HW-NR of 7508972.

Now these instructions make sense.

Wen I follow Zep's instructions (without being hooked up to the car) and press the <F3>, I don't see GS8602. I see GD8602. Is this OK?

[/COLOR]
    Ok, so it appears I typed the wrong information. It is indeed GD8602. Here are some screenies of what I get when I go through the steps.

1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG4.JPG5.JPG

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;
    I might try this, this weekend. Looking forward to it, given the relatively inexpensive GS8602 I now have in hand. Now if only I can find the TCM/ EGS. :-)

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;
    I did the flash today. Used a spare TCM / EGS. Downloaded the file. Fired up WINKFP and followed the instructions that Zep posted earlier. When all was said and done, I started the car. I couldn't get the tranny out of park. So, I don't know what I did wrong, but I sure am glad I used a spare.

Then I shut the car off, type this in, restarted the car, and it works! IT's alive! the Check engine light is still on, but I suspect that that is unrelated. First test was to get out of Park and put in sport mode - It showed M1. Success on that level.

If anyone is still reading this thread, if you can tell me how to take the TCM /EGS out of it's little case beside the DME, I would be a happy man. I'm afraid to pull too hard and break something.

My Cars
    bmw
    I did the flash today. Used a spare TCM / EGS. Downloaded the file. Fired up WINKFP and followed the instructions that Zep posted earlier. When all was said and done, I started the car. I couldn't get the tranny out of park. So, I don't know what I did wrong, but I sure am glad I used a spare.

Then I shut the car off, type this in, restarted the car, and it works! IT's alive! the Check engine light is still on, but I suspect that that is unrelated. First test was to get out of Park and put in sport mode - It showed M1. Success on that level.

If anyone is still reading this thread, if you can tell me how to take the TCM /EGS out of it's little case beside the DME, I would be a happy man. I'm afraid to pull too hard and break something.
    You need to clear the fault codes before starting but no biggie.

To remove the tcu just pull it out, it wont brake anything. Congrats in any case! See what happens when redline it in manual mode

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;
    Same thing happened to me as to you, Zep. When I do the redline manual thing, the engine goes into limbo for a second or two - I guess the DME and ECU are arguing, and then the shift happens. Guess I do need the DME tune to remove or move the rev limit.

Like I said, I've hooked back up my TCM and put the Alpine one on the shelf until I decide what I'm going to do. (DUDMD or Shark Injector or.... ).

I was going to update my DME, but there is no ME72 in the ECU family column in WINKFP. Guess I have to look around to find the daten for this - or maybe it's just some *.his or *.dat file that is not up to date.

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    I think ME72 shows up as EK726 in WinKFP

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
    I think ME72 shows up as EK726 in WinKFP
    Exactly correct.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;
    gulp. That's a big leap of faith, no? Well, what the heck. You guys haven't steered me wrong yet. I'm game.
    Last edited by gmak; 11-08-2015 at 05:11 PM.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    If you just do the Update process then WinKFP can't screw anything up. Will only update you to something that's completely compatible and correct for your car. Imagonna guess it might not find a newer update to apply (there just weren't many later M62TU calibrations...) but it'd be super safe.

If you manually select a number from the list it provides, or type in a specific number for a tune that is on your disk, yes, you certainly could accidentally change your tune to a Euro Manual or South African Automatic or Japanese etc. etc. however it would not be catastrophic, certainly esp if its another Automatic tune (which would probably still run fine...) and even if you did get someting crazy 'getting back to normal' would not be difficult. A Euro Auto tune would work 100% fine on your car (I ran one for some time when I had auto still...)

However you may not want to run around w/ a Euro flash if Ontario scans the computer and expects North American Catalyst blah blah blah during your inspection process.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast