Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: E39 V8 TU Alpina B8s Gearbox CU EGS Flash

DUDMD is offline BMW Maniac Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by blarf View Post
    Very cool. Is there any info on how to extract the whole tune from the EGS? I'm pulling the transmission out of my 540, but the EGS box does have the Dinan tune.
    Have to remove the eprom from the board and read it with a 28Fxxx/29Fxxx programmer with PSOP 44 adapter.
    I've had a few alpina tcu's in my hand as well. Copied it over to a few local customers to drive it around.

I'm able to bench flash them with the same exact harness that I use to flash MS42/MS43/MS45/MSS52/MSS54/Me7.2/Me5.2.1 DMEs, so that's a bonus. Didn't even have to build a special egs harness to flash the chip without removal from the board. Removal is only needed to copy the data that's on the chip, since no programmer/software can do a full proper dump of that chip.

I would not ever trust a PA soft/BMW scanner .bin readout, and certainly not use it to flash a file onto the car. Mine sometimes can't even code Lcm options sometimes, and I have to recode it to default, to restore it and then try again.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone attempting to do this, buy a cheap used EGS. They're not VIN specific and do not need any syncing. They're replaceable. Test it on a cheap/used stock EGS that you can pick up for $30-50 on ebay all day long.
    Performance Tuning and EWS Delete for MSS52/MSS54/MSS54HP/MS41/MS42/MS43/ME7.2/M5.2
    Virgnize DME service available to unlock DME to sync to another vehicle on EWS3 vehicles 98+. M5.2.1, M7.2, MS42, MS43, MS45, ME9.2 and more.

Easiest way to contact me is to send me a message on my facebook page "DUDMD Tuning"

My Cars
    bmw
    Quote Originally Posted by DUDMD View Post
    Anyone attempting to do this, buy a cheap used EGS. They're not VIN specific and do not need any syncing. They're replaceable. Test it on a cheap/used stock EGS that you can pick up for $30-50 on ebay all day long.
    This is what I have done, purchased a used GS8602 module to code whilst leaving the stock one.......stock.

But, having done a dry run through of the winKFP method, I noticed that you must enter your VIN when coding so I am not sure how this will impact. I will put together a step by step to see if I am doing it right.

-Update-
    -connect cable to obd connector of car

-Load Winkpf software

-Press (F1) comfort mode

-Press (F3) Update ZUSB

-Choose ECU GS8602

-Press (F2) Choose ZUSB

-Choose ECU GS8602 and next to it there will be ZB-Numbers..Find 7509369

-Click ok

-If you have done it correctly so far you will see at the top Assembly Identification number 7509369 (Alpina software ) and it will automatically reference 7508972

-Press (F4) Enter VIN ( make sure you double check you have entered the correct VIN numbers)

-click ok

-Press DONE (F8)

-Press (F3) Program
    Last edited by Zep; 10-21-2015 at 06:29 AM.

My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    That seems write. You can put in your VIN or whatever you want, it won't affect the coding/software file in anyway. It's the VIN that will come up on a scan tool/inpa when someone checks the coding data.
    Performance Tuning and EWS Delete for MSS52/MSS54/MSS54HP/MS41/MS42/MS43/ME7.2/M5.2
    Virgnize DME service available to unlock DME to sync to another vehicle on EWS3 vehicles 98+. M5.2.1, M7.2, MS42, MS43, MS45, ME9.2 and more.

Easiest way to contact me is to send me a message on my facebook page "DUDMD Tuning"

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;
    Zep:

Please excuse the novice questions.

If I understand this correctly, you buy a used module, recode it by loading the Alpina software, and then put in in place of the existing one in the car? Did it work OK with the VIN?

I've looked on REaloem, found the part number for my car (24607506450). It seems to be < $100 to buy a used one.

Where is the GS8602 module located? Is is in the same box as the DME?

My Cars
    bmw
    Quote Originally Posted by gmak View Post
    Zep:

Please excuse the novice questions.

If I understand this correctly, you buy a used module, recode it by loading the Alpina software, and then put in in place of the existing one in the car? Did it work OK with the VIN?

I've looked on REaloem, found the part number for my car (24607506450). It seems to be < $100 to buy a used one.

Where is the GS8602 module located? Is is in the same box as the DME?
    I purchased a secondhand GD8602 module/TCU so I could keep the one currently in my car stock, so in case anything goes wrong or ruins the module I can just go back to stock. I havnt tried it yet but hopefully the VIN issue doesn't affect it as per DUDMD's suggestion.

The TCU is indeed located next to the DME in the box below the cabin filter.

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;
    Thanks, man. I've already found an inexpensive TCU (GS8602). I'm just waiting to install my software (GT1 etc) to see if I can use WINKFP or not.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey DUDMD:

If you see this, does the ALPINA software have the same protections on the Sport side of the shifter as the regular software? - i.e. it won't let me shift into a gear and blow an engine (say I shift down instead of up by accident - this shifter is backwards to the one on our 530XI so I sometimes pull / oush the wrong way).

My Cars
    Canada
    interesting developments. I will be watching this thread.

My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    I haven't personally driven an alpina tcu car. Have a few local buddies with it.
    Thanks, man. I've already found an inexpensive TCU (GS8602). I'm just waiting to install my software (GT1 etc) to see if I can use WINKFP or not.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey DUDMD:

If you see this, does the ALPINA software have the same protections on the Sport side of the shifter as the regular software? - i.e. it won't let me shift into a gear and blow an engine (say I shift down instead of up by accident - this shifter is backwards to the one on our 530XI so I sometimes pull / oush the wrong way).

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i

- - - Updated - - -

Hey DUDMD:

I haven't tested the B8 software specifically, but other Alpinas don't let you push the car past redline. One difference however is that it won't automatically go to the next gear just because you hit redline.

Also, why don't you reverse the shift orientation on your E39? Just switch the wires and get the auto trim from an 02+ model

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;

Also, why don't you reverse the shift orientation on your E39? Just switch the wires and get the auto trim from an 02+ model
    Good idea. I'll put it on the list. Which wires? I found this.

Reverse the Tiptronic shift pattern possible?

Posted by: Andy-UK on 2002-01-07 at 17:29:58
    (posted from: Host: inktomi3-bre.server.ntl.com IP: 62.253.64.6)
    pin 4 - white green (manual)
    pin 3 - blue gray ( upshift)
    pin 2 - blue green (downshift)
    pin 1 - brown black (ground)
    Reverse the green and grey wires.
    I'd like to reverse the step pattern on my MY97 posted by Andy-UK on October 21, 2001 at 06:39:30:

(posted from: london-ppp51953.sympatico.ca (209.226.247.34))
    Wonder if it could be done. After all I guess it is just a couple of switches.
    That is an interresting idea.
    From the info I have it is just 2 wire leads (one from each directional
    switch)
    If you can find a connector with 4 wires in it at the shifter.
    pin 4 - white green (manual)
    pin 3 - blue gray ( upshift)
    pin 2 - blue green (downshift)
    pin 1 - brown black (ground)
    Then you "probably" just have to interchange the two blue/ leads (note it is the 2 blue leads but I am not sure of the other colour in those leads)
    Cheers
    Jim Cash
    And this link is a bit more detailed in the instructions including talking about how the connector is different from 01 to 02.
    Last edited by gmak; 10-23-2015 at 05:07 AM.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Ironically when I was still auto I reverted my later style the other way because I generally prefer the earlier direction and that is same as wife's Audi so more intuitive going across cars in the driveway. It's two easy wires swapped one for another (purple connector maybe?) and I didn't care at all about the surround being wrong about +/- after the first few days. Nobody but me should have been manually shifting that car anyway.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;
    Sharpies can fix that in a jiffy.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyway, back to the main thrust of the thread: Just to make sure I understand, I would pop out my EGS, put tne sacrificial one in its place, and then follow the instructions to load it with Alpina tune? I don't need some separate gear to do the software load?

My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    I'd highly recommend the DME tune with the EGS alpina software. That way you can rev past the stock 6100rpm limiter, and let the EGS shift near 6400-6500.

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;
    Did the wire switch for the transmission so that shifting up is pulling back on the shifter (like going from 1st gear to 2nd gear in a manual).

DUDMD: What do you mean by DME tune? Any specific one?

My Cars
    bmw
    OK, so I flashed the supplied file just now.

It works however I havent fully evaluated it yet as it is my birthday and my brother gave me a keg and lets just say that I will not be driving any more today.

Anyway, it went exactly to plan. I replaced the TCU with the secondhand one (which was quite a PITA as the hex screws on the ECU box were fused and I had to brake them off). Then I followed the same method as I posted above.

All went well and I cleared the fault codes at the end, some of which were for the original/donor car and still stored on the TCU.

Shifts are indeed better/quicker and DS is now gone. The standard drive is like 3/4's of what DS mode was like but the crisper shifts more than make for it. The power feels like it is being transferred a lot better and response is certainly improved.

However, on the one quick blast I gave it, it didnt go over 6100rpm but that might be because it was in 1st and still limited in that gear, but I will need to look into further when sober.

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;
    When sober....

Nice. Thanks for the insight and feedback on the whole thing. Too early maybe, but do you prefer the Alpina tune?

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    I'd love to try the Alpina transmission software on my 530i, anyone know the ZB number for the B10 3.3 EGS?

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by blackknight530i View Post
    I'd love to try the Alpina transmission software on my 530i, anyone know the ZB number for the B10 3.3 EGS?
    There isn't one. You have to get a dump of it

My Cars
    bmw
    When sober....

Nice. Thanks for the insight and feedback on the whole thing. Too early maybe, but do you prefer the Alpina tune?
    Yes, I prefer the Alpina flash. Easily.

Took it for a better spin just now and by far it is superior to the stock software. I imagine that they didnt provide software like this to 540/740 etc. as the shifting a little harsher/crispier, but I prefer it.

Power certainly feels like is coming out the other side of the transmission now, whereas before it felt like it was going in but not much coming back out.

I dont think my VF flash for the supercharger has raised the RPM limits as I seem to bounce off 6300rpm and not 6500rpm as it should. Something the TTFS tune can hopefully fix.

I would rate this as a 8/10 mod and even on a stock car this would be fantastic. I wish I had done this earlier and certainly prior to going to the drag strip last week.

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;
    I'm downloading the sp-daten for E39 and getting WinkFP set up. I've ordered a used GS8602. Looking forward to this little experiment. Especially that I get to follow in others' footsteps. So much easier than breaking the trail myself, at this stage.

Cheers.

My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    Did the wire switch for the transmission so that shifting up is pulling back on the shifter (like going from 1st gear to 2nd gear in a manual). DUDMD: What do you mean by DME tune? Any specific one?
    I'd recommend our performance tune
    We set a higher rev limiter, speed limiter and power improvement

Sent from my iPhone using BF.com

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;
    Well this is a fine dumb move I've made. How dumb remains to be seen. I ordered part number 24607508396 for my GS8602 whereas I have the shorter drive ratio (slipped my mind completely since the car is new-to-me) and I should have gotten the 24607508398 as found here.

The question is, does it matter with the Alpina tune? I suspect that there is some difference in the internal data and coding between the two. What exactly am I over-writing if I do this coding for Alpina? i.e. - Will I be ok with the '396' GS8602 instead of the '398' GS8602? Does anyone know or have some insight they can share?

I suspect that it won't make a difference since we are essentially overwriting the RPMs where each gear change takes place up and down, no? As such, I would be overwriting the '398' differences anyway were I to put it on my existing one. Of course, I could go through the tortuous process of trying to figure out what is different between the two modules and code my existing software onto the other module (396) and then hitting with the Alpina software. Seems like a waste of effort and energy though, no?

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Well this is a fine dumb move I've made. How dumb remains to be seen. I ordered part number 24607508396 for my GS8602 whereas I have the shorter drive ratio (slipped my mind completely since the car is new-to-me) and I should have gotten the 24607508398 as found here.

The question is, does it matter with the Alpina tune? I suspect that there is some difference in the internal data and coding between the two. What exactly am I over-writing if I do this coding for Alpina? i.e. - Will I be ok with the '396' GS8602 instead of the '398' GS8602? Does anyone know or have some insight they can share?

I suspect that it won't make a difference since we are essentially overwriting the RPMs where each gear change takes place up and down, no? As such, I would be overwriting the '398' differences anyway were I to put it on my existing one. Of course, I could go through the tortuous process of trying to figure out what is different between the two modules and code my existing software onto the other module (396) and then hitting with the Alpina software. Seems like a waste of effort and energy though, no?
    The 8602 EGS modules are the same, it's just the coding that's different, so if you load a different program on it, it becomes a that part number effectively.

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;
    Quote Originally Posted by DUDMD View Post
    I'd recommend our performance tune
    We set a higher rev limiter, speed limiter and power improvement

Sent from my iPhone using BF.com
    Can you PM me with a link or some details? Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by blackknight530i View Post
    The 8602 EGS modules are the same, it's just the coding that's different, so if you load a different program on it, it becomes a that part number effectively.
    That's the way I was leaning but it's nice to hear from those better than me. Thanks.

So this software patch, if you will, is the entire software in the EGS - not just a change to a couple of data tables or some subroutines?

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Can you PM me with a link or some details? Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

That's the way I was leaning but it's nice to hear from those better than me. Thanks.

So this software patch, if you will, is the entire software in the EGS - not just a change to a couple of data tables or some subroutines?
    My understanding is that they are dumping the full memory from the Alpina EGS and copying it to theirs. That would mean it's everything.

-Paul

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast