Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: E39 V8 TU Alpina B8s Gearbox CU EGS Flash

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;
    Yeah. Regular mode becomes sport mode. Sport mode only has manual. It's more aggressive shifting parameters, though. However, if you're in manual mode (sport) with the new tune and you forget to shift and get up near the red line, there is an argument between the EGS and the DME and the engine sort of hangs there for 2+ seconds before the argument gets resolved and the shift happens. Everything works fine in sport (normal) mode with the new tune. I don't see any advantage myself.

I have an EGS with the tune on it. I bought a used one and downloaded the tune to it with WINKFP. I found that the drive was a lot of fun but I didn't like giving up "old fart" mode (regular), nor did I like the argument between DME and EGS in sport mode (manual with the new tune). ]

However DUDMD apparently has a DME tune that increases the rev limit there which is supposed to resolve the argument-at-red-line in new sport mode. However, you'd have to speak with him and others who have had this done to see if the issue is resolved.
    gmak: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. A journey with my new-to-me 2000 540i

"Working on a BMW E39 is the best way to run out of time."

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    There's no "conflict" at all, if you don't have the matching Alpina DME tune then the manual mode acts sort of like a true manual (holding whatever gear you selected) but eventually shifts. I don't see the point of having a manual program where the EGS thinks it knows better than you, unless, well, you're dumber than the EGS
    I wouldn't recommend this tranny tune if you don't have the Alpina DME tune. Matching both tunes have the following benefits/downsides
    Pros:
    -Manual mode shifts quicker and crisper up and down. Snappiest shifting time compared to any other tranny tune out there (yes, I tried them all)
    -Regular mode makes way better use of the lockup converter
    -Car feels like an old cable throttle/cable kickdown arrangements, responds in a more predictable way, you can "operate" things with your right foot analog input, like pressure and speed. It will follow your prediction once you learned how fast/deep a plunge will make the EGS/DME do what
    Cons: (All comparing the Alpina EGS tune to Dinan Stage II EGS tune)
    -Increased fuel consumption
    -Not a true manual mode like Dinan stage III
    -You don't have a "neck snapping" sports program like Dinan stage III
    -Normal drive mode doesn't upshifts as responsively as Dinan stage III

Bottomline, I wouldn't recommend this flash with a OE DME tune. I would only recommend it paired with the matching Alpina DME tune. If you have those 2, you won't miss the Sports mode at all. If you're on a budget and don't want to mod/upgrade DME tune, I recommend the Dinan Stage III, although it has a true manual mode (It will stay in the selected gear and not upshift)
    Diehard E39 driver.
    I'd rather die or take a walk before driving an E60 or any BMW made after Y2K.
    ​"Your momma's so ugly she makes Bangle cars look nice"

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Can the alpina tune be done to the 4.4? Isnt the true Alpina motor a 4.8 like the z4 has or is the Alpina e39 a 4.6 like the X5 4.6is? Either way can it be done to the 4.4? Will I need to get a dinan style throttle body (N62 TB) and a 4 inch MAF housing?

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by purplecty View Post
    Can the alpina tune be done to the 4.4? Isnt the true Alpina motor a 4.8 like the z4 has or is the Alpina e39 a 4.6 like the X5 4.6is? Either way can it be done to the 4.4? Will I need to get a dinan style throttle body (N62 TB) and a 4 inch MAF housing?
    I have it on a regular M62TU with a big runners manifold. It makes a hell of a difference. The tune is from a 2000 4.6 B10V8 (I'm the one that got it) The use it makes of vanos and the maps are just beautiful. The only way in which your engine could pull more if with dedicated dyno/tuning sessions.

Ask Dima (DUDMD) he's a very friendly guy, super reasonable priced and zero tuner BS.
    Diehard E39 driver.

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Quote Originally Posted by jicaino View Post

I have it on a regular M62TU with a big runners manifold. It makes a hell of a difference. The tune is from a 2000 4.6 B10V8 (I'm the one that got it) The use it makes of vanos and the maps are just beautiful. The only way in which your engine could pull more if with dedicated dyno/tuning sessions.

Ask Dima (DUDMD) he's a very friendly guy, super reasonable priced and zero tuner BS.
    So you have an Alpina B10 DME tune with the EGS tune as well or just a stock M62tu DME using an M60 manifold with the alpina EGS tune?

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    I have a M60 manifold (velocity stacks version) and the Alpina DME tune. EGS wise, I first got a Dinan Stage III flashed ECU out of a 7 series (asked Dinan directly about VIN and equipment level) and then got itchy to try the Alpina EGS. I'd have a hard time picking between them, I *think* I like the Dinan one better. I'm trying to get Dima to make me a custom EGS tune mixing both tunes features, but there's little interest for a tuner in making a one-off custom, and the market for a good auto trans tune is not huge.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and viscofan delete... that's really noticeable too in terms of engine response.
    Diehard E39 driver.

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    I have a M60 manifold (velocity stacks version) and the Alpina DME tune. EGS wise, I first got a Dinan Stage III flashed ECU out of a 7 series (asked Dinan directly about VIN and equipment level) and then got itchy to try the Alpina EGS. I'd have a hard time picking between them, I *think* I like the Dinan one better. I'm trying to get Dima to make me a custom EGS tune mixing both tunes features, but there's little interest for a tuner in making a one-off custom, and the market for a good auto trans tune is not huge.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and viscofan delete... that's really noticeable too in terms of engine response.
    Is there an Alpina DME ZB number or is it custom similar to the EGS tune?

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    It's custom. 75606366

- - - Updated - - -

Label number on the original Alpina labeled ECU, that is, I don't have the car with me now so I cannot verify with INPA but that's the original label number. I had Dima cloning that DME and virginizing the new one. I wanted to virginize it but since I purchased the whole locks/keys set he advised me to keep it unmolested and clone it.
    Diehard E39 driver.

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    It's custom. 75606366

- - - Updated - - -

Label number on the original Alpina labeled ECU, that is, I don't have the car with me now so I cannot verify with INPA but that's the original label number. I had Dima cloning that DME and virginizing the new one. I wanted to virginize it but since I purchased the whole locks/keys set he advised me to keep it unmolested and clone it.
    Just so I understand correctly you're running a modified version of ZB 75606366? I cant just flash this number to my E38 DME?

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    Just so I understand correctly you're running a modified version of ZB 75606366? I cant just flash this number to my E38 DME?
    I wouldn't flash just about any ZB on any DME. There's minor variances in HW that could soft brick your DME and you'll be out of options but ship it and hope it can be brought back to life.
    The maps and variables can be copied and cloned into your DME's specific most-up-to-date flash file after it has been updated.
    I think that Dima (DUDMD) can flash your DME remotely. You need a laptop, teamviewer and a galletto 1260 cable.
    I didn't keep the full eeprom at hand because you just can't write it over your DME, there's considerations such as VIN, EWS matching and rolling codes, and HW iterations. As a matter of fact one of the DME that we intended to rewrite had to be shipped because it refused to work after the flash.
    I'd recommend buying a cheapo spare DME with no matching keys or EWS (they can be had cheap when they don't have that) and send it away. Dima can then update the DME to the latest release for that HW, virginize the EWS so you can sync it to your car without having to worry about EWS and locks/keys replacement and clone the Alpina DME maps and parameters.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW just to be 100% clear, I'm not affiliated in any way with DUDMD, I'm just a happy customer, I've used his services like 4 or 5 times and he's been always crystal clear, honest, very reasonable priced, fast and reliable. I think he's one of the best cost/benefit ratio (if not the best) BMW tuners out there. IMHO.
    Diehard E39 driver.

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    I see so its not a stock DME ZUSB flash it must be loaded using modofied files...

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    I don't recall if the stock flashes numbers are exactly the same as the modded ones. Most likely they used that as a baseline to write their stuff over (BMW ships assembled, working cars to Alpina, and then they do their stuff), but here's the thing: you can write portions of that leaving other chunks intact. If you write a complete flash (512 kb) you need to be 100% sure it's going to work with that DME board. They all have some differences and I guess on top of that, there's like BIOS differences (you know, when you upgrade your BIOS flash for added funtionality over the same hardware, on a computer or other electronic device)
    I'm not an electronics expert, BTW, but I'm sure you noticed that.
    Diehard E39 driver.

My Cars
    03 540iA M-Sport
    I just did this TCU tune and my redline in Drive is 6100rpm still. In Manual it is 6800rpm and that's not good because it just wants to max out each gear for a up shift for best acceleration and eat rpms for no reason. I would like for it to redline in "Drive" do you guys have this issue also? My ECU tune redline is 7000rpm for a good buffer zone between the ECU and TCU.
    Last edited by AngelEye5; 01-05-2017 at 11:46 PM.
    2003 540iA M-Sport - VSM60IM/84MMTB+Flange/4"CAI+MAF DUDMD Tune, Alpina B10V8S TCU Tune, Spal EFC, Gutted Pre Cats, 88C Stat, Alum WPP, Metal Impeller WP, SAPD, M5 MMs, UUC Blk TMs, E53 X5 TABs, Bilstien B8's/Intrax Springs,

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Can this DME amd EGS flash be used on a stock 4.6is x5?
    Last edited by purplecty; 02-14-2017 at 03:07 PM.

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    Can this DME amd EGS flash be used on a stock 4.6is x5?
    IDK, I'd guess that AWD transmissions have a different "tune" than RWD versions?
    Diehard E39 driver.

My Cars
    '96 540i S/C
    @blarf and @DUDMD
    I have a 07/1996, so I have the 5HP30. Was there any "performance" mod of this Gearbox?

I have increased rev limit in the DME, so this would be perfect!
    [E39 540i] - with S/C ESS kit (plus some upgrades)
    [E34 540iA] - Gone

My Cars
    2000 740i sport

IDK, I'd guess that AWD transmissions have a different "tune" than RWD versions?
    https://www.tuningdb.info/alpina_b8s_flashes

This one lists e53...?

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    both DME and EGS flashes should be 100% compatible with M62TU/5HP24 combos, provided that the AWD doesn't alter the dialogue between DME and EGS. I don't know the first thing about AWD cars that has this level of electronic control units.
    Diehard E39 driver.

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    And again the alpina DME ZB number is 75606366?

DUDMD is offline BMW Maniac Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    both DME and EGS flashes should be 100% compatible with M62TU/5HP24 combos, provided that the AWD doesn't alter the dialogue between DME and EGS. I don't know the first thing about AWD cars that has this level of electronic control units.
    It will throw other codes for different emissions equipment that the 4.6is has and an e38 doesnt.

- - - Updated - - -

And again the alpina DME ZB number is 75606366?
    I would just recommend our performance tune to run this engine as optimal as possible and proper rev limiter adjustment to not intervene with the new shifting points.
    Performance Tuning and EWS Delete for MSS52/MSS54/MSS54HP/MS41/MS42/MS43/ME7.2/M5.2
    Virgnize DME service available to unlock DME to sync to another vehicle on EWS3 vehicles 98+. M5.2.1, M7.2, MS42, MS43, MS45, ME9.2 and more.

Easiest way to contact me is to send me a message on my facebook page "DUDMD Tuning"

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    Purplecty, you've heard from "the man". I didn't think it would be a match but I was thinking AWD vs. RWD never realizing it had different emissions setups.

I've worked with Dima and he's a charm, very helpful, super knowledgeable, and on top of that, very reasonable priced. I'd use his services and take his advice any day.
    Diehard E39 driver.

My Cars
    540i/AT 03/2002 ExclEdt
    Kinda of a ressurrection but such a thread is too good to drown anyways. Does anybody knows if the Alpina Tune will hold gears in Manual Mode, like the Dinan Tune supposedly does? I mean if I pull from first gear it will hold it forever until I shift it ? For a 2002 540i with steptronic that is !

My Cars
    5series M62B44
    Quote Originally Posted by FredRC View Post
    Kinda of a ressurrection but such a thread is too good to drown anyways. Does anybody knows if the Alpina Tune will hold gears in Manual Mode, like the Dinan Tune supposedly does? I mean if I pull from first gear it will hold it forever until I shift it ? For a 2002 540i with steptronic that is !
    Yep, from my understanding. D(Drive) becomes S(Sport), & S(Sport) becomes M(Manual, no automatic upshift unless tune supported so Manual, rpm holding, firmer shifts etc..)

Out of pure curiosity after seeing this bump and acquiring the files, I just eBay'd a cheap $50 delivered used EGS TCU from latvia that matches mine & the non-tu flash file to test this on mine.
    Will update in 3-4weeks when that arrives and I try this out.

If I like it, I might move on from my SuperchipsUK DME tune & get a DUDMD finally to compliment the Alpina box software.

Cheers
    Mat
    Quote Originally Posted by hakhawk
    I know first hand that owning a bmw isnt what made hozy the way he is, its just his charm
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder
    HoZY is good guy and has proven it many times by being a longtime participant in this community.

My Cars
    E31 850Ci, E39 540iAT SC
    Quote Originally Posted by firebird540 View Post
    VF leaves the rpm limiter in their VF SC DME files at stock (6200) except if you ask them to raise it in advance (at least they did with mine so).
    I tried Dinan and Alpina EGS files on my SC 540iAT with values for the DME limiter at 6200 to 6500 and still have issues autoshifting in Manual mode when using the Alpina EGS file.
    With the dinan EGS it runs into fail mode running Manual mode and having it WOT or almost WOT but not having the kickdown switch active (basicly running in one fix gear and almost reaching the max rpm, thats how Dinan designed it in order to have the full control over gear / not Auto switching at max rpm in Manual mode).

Could it realy be that Dinan set their DME rpm limiter at 6700-6800rpm for a stock M62 block (Alpina did change the crankcase and Pistons and rods for their B10 V8)?

cheers
    firebird
    Hi,

just want to report back, that I finally solved the issue - the Rev limiter in the DME 5.2 should be 6800 rpm in order to work properly with the Alpina EGS on an pre TU M62 540iA (I have an 3.15 LSD installed out of an E39 M5).

Thanks a lot to user Starshy - who made the change together with the software thermostat temp change from 108°C to 90°C.

cheers
    firebird

My Cars
    99 540i
    I’m sorry to revive this thread yet again but I can’t find answers anywhere else. I figured with the time this post has been around someone might be able to help.
    From what I’ve read all the places I’ve searched this ALPINA egs program shifts firmer than the dinan one and has better use of torque converter. I am looking for the quickest and most firm shifts I can get out of my trans from just a flash. I am doing the M60 intake swap with new injectors and a CAI and want to get the DME tune from DUDMD if I bought a used TCU could someone flash the APLINA file on to it for my 1999 540i? I’m not familiar with reprogramming.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast