Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: bmw E39 steering column up/down adjustment failure

My Cars
    ’02 M5, ‘03 540, ‘98 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason5driver View Post
    The white plastic cover with the molded wire just slides into the slots to drive the system .
    Just use some needle-nose plyers and pull it out .
    My 540 just started some weird behavior tonight. When i turn the car off, the wheel adjusts all the way to the bottom. The stalk will only adjust the wheel up if i add pressure. Did you fix yours yet? Did the adjustment shaft fix your issue?
    2002 M5 Sterling Gray (88k)
    Dinan mufflers and intake, ZHP shift knob, E60 shifter, Ground Control coilovers
    Restoration in progress!

2021 M340i (25k)

Sold!
    2003 540i MSport 6sp Tit Silver (193k)
    Dinan Exhaust, Autosolutions SSK, 88C Thermostat, Koni's, BlueBus, BavSound, DUDMD Stage 2, AFE CAI

Sold!
    Aavi's 98 M3/4/5 Cosmos (137k)
    TMS Stage 3 with Shrick cams, Shorty headers and tune, M50, Stromung, 8.5 LTW's squared, PFC-Z, 3.38, Bosch H1's with city lights, CD43, BSW Stage 1, BMS SSK, TMS Underdrive Pulleys, Sunroof Eclipse, LeatherZ gauge pack

BMW CCA# 308494

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by BAM3 View Post
    My 540 just started some weird behavior tonight. When i turn the car off, the wheel adjusts all the way to the bottom. The stalk will only adjust the wheel up if i add pressure. Did you fix yours yet? Did the adjustment shaft fix your issue?
    Yes , I replaced the wire rod .
    Look on post #8 , 2nd picture , there's a picture of the part with the white plastic around it ...

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    ’02 M5, ‘03 540, ‘98 M3
    Yes , I replaced the wire rod .
    Look on post #8 , 2nd picture , there's a picture of the part with the white plastic around it ...
    Got it. I ordered from FCP this morning. Reminds me of the seat motor (with twist) set up.

Do you think the common failure mode is the threaded rod shearing like yours? I’m not 100% what broke but the fix doesn’t seem terrible. I was a bit worried earlier in this thread when i read about steering column replacement.

Thanks for the help!
    Dinan mufflers and intake, ZHP shift knob, E60 shifter, Ground Control coilovers
    Restoration in progress!

2021 M340i (25k)

Sold!
    Dinan Exhaust, Autosolutions SSK, 88C Thermostat, Koni's, BlueBus, BavSound, DUDMD Stage 2, AFE CAI

Sold!
    TMS Stage 3 with Shrick cams, Shorty headers and tune, M50, Stromung, 8.5 LTW's squared, PFC-Z, 3.38, Bosch H1's with city lights, CD43, BSW Stage 1, BMS SSK, TMS Underdrive Pulleys, Sunroof Eclipse, LeatherZ gauge pack

BMW CCA# 308494

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Got it. I ordered from FCP this morning. Reminds me of the seat motor (with twist) set up.

Do you think the common failure mode is the threaded rod shearing like yours? I’m not 100% what broke but the fix doesn’t seem terrible. I was a bit worried earlier in this thread when i read about steering column replacement.

Thanks for the help!
    I think the wire rod gets stretched and eventually breaks over time .

My Cars
    ’02 M5, ‘03 540, ‘98 M3
    I just pulled everything apart and replaced the rod. Go figure.....my rod was fine. The white nut stripped. Does anyone have an idea of what size that bolt is? Looks like i will have to lock my wheel in the highest position.

EDIT - I bought a whole bunch of metric nuts. I believe M12 was the one. I also unplugged the up/down motor while i was there.
    Last edited by BAM3; 09-30-2022 at 02:30 PM.
    Restoration in progress!

2021 M340i (25k)

Sold!

Sold!

BMW CCA# 308494

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    I just pulled everything apart and replaced the rod. Go figure.....my rod was fine. The white nut stripped. Does anyone have an idea of what size that bolt is? Looks like i will have to lock my wheel in the highest position.

EDIT - I bought a whole bunch of metric nuts. I believe M12 was the one. I also unplugged the up/down motor while i was there.
    Pictures ?

My Cars
    ’02 M5, ‘03 540, ‘98 M3
    Pictures ?
    No pics. I was moving at pace on this one between work calls.
    Restoration in progress!

2021 M340i (25k)

Sold!

Sold!

BMW CCA# 308494

My Cars
    E32,E36x2,E46|E39current
    Sorry, i may have missed something how do i go about MANUALLY ADJUSTING it? I just want to put it in a nice position then pull the plug. I use my car for time attack, and the wheel position is kinda annoying all the way up. I also have a quick release, so getting in and out is no issue. 🤙

My Cars
    Blown 528i, KE30, Pathy
    See if there's a fuse just for it? That'd be the easiest thing to do IMO. If the fuse disables other things, see if you can live without them (say, electric mirrors or such). Otherwise, there should be a pigtail connecting to the motor, get some hints from this E53 video which should be fairly similar if not identical: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHntPDeX938
    Resident Third World Country Advisor

My Cars
    E32,E36x2,E46|E39current
    I'm pretty sure the seats and the wheel are on the same fuse that's why i wasn't going to take it out. I was just going to unplug the pigtail. That's no big deal. My wheel only adjusts in and out and grinds when trying to move up and down. I would only like to know how how to manually adjust the wheel up, and down. Do i need to go inside the motor and spin the gears? Or can i just spin something on the outside? I appreciate the help though.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i
    Yes, BringsManyWins, the seat and the steering column motor are on the same circuit/fuse.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12