Page 9 of 42 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast

Thread: Justin's LS E46

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    There's a point where it makes your car slow down a boat load. I don't normally get anywhere close to full lock unless I fiddled my diddle and need to untuck my dangling participle.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Quote Originally Posted by protomor View Post
    There's a point where it makes your car slow down a boat load. I don't normally get anywhere close to full lock unless I fiddled my diddle and need to untuck my dangling participle.
    Yeah, I'm sure its better to have more rubber on the road and less angle then some narrow tire you're just going to push all over the track and more angle.

My Cars
    s50 e30, e36M, e46M
    SLR kit literally double the stock steering angle. A 235/40 vs 215/40 is only an 8mm difference. An 8mm steering rack stop isn't going to drastically reduce the angle. Chelsea's car in that photo has roughly 65* of angle. Do you really need any more than that? Going from 38* to 65* is still a massive gain. Its not like you're like you're losing the angle you gained by putting on the kit by anything other than a tiny amount. Chelsea has no issue doing reverse entries. The majority of the time you are going to be using more than the stock angle but less than full lock

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Yeah, it's looking like a rack stop is going to be the way to go. I'm looking at tire options on tirerack and there is almost nothing in the entire 23" diameter range, maybe 4 brands in each size. Stepping up to a 24" diameter adds like 70 models to the sizes. I don't mind doing a rack stop, it just hadn't crossed my mind.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    24 inch rims son? Daaaaaaaaayum

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Turner rack stops are on their way. There aren't different sizes available though, so I have no idea how big they are.

My Cars
    98 323
    it's weird. their instructions say 16mm, but the pictures in the instructions make em look more like 1"
    Popular engine swap weights & stock engine weights
    M42 + trans - 427lbs
    302 + t5 trans - 475lbs
    m20b27 + g260 - 497lbs
    m52b25 vanos + g250 - 544lbs

351w + t5 trans - 572.5lbs
    LS,
    aluminum block + t56 - 609lbs
    LS, iron block + t56 - 719lbs, EST.
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...60-m42-1jz-2jz

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    I messaged their customer service about it. the add says "Our rack stop length is the approximate length that will be removed from the outside tire wall’s path. For example, if a 16mm rack stop is used, there will be 16mm more clearance for a brake duct between the fender well and the edge of the tire" and no where in the add does it even say what size they actually are. Customer Service just said "there is only one size available" but still didn't say what size they are. If they're too big, I can always hit em with a grinder.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Looks simple enough that you can just make your own.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Slow going lately. Spent 3 straight days so far cutting tabs off, smoothing stuff out, and cleaning up the engine bay. Just a few more spots to go then it's time to paint.

Took some time today to make a handbrake mount. It's not the prettiest thing, but it's probably overkill strength wise. I think it'll look better once it's primed and painted.

My Cars
    98 323
    why's the brake master mounted upside down?
    M42 + trans - 427lbs
    302 + t5 trans - 475lbs
    m20b27 + g260 - 497lbs

LS,

My Cars
    Dicktone Limo
    probably because it doesnt matter at that point lol

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Quote Originally Posted by bennyfizzle View Post
    probably because it doesnt matter at that point lol
    Exactly. I slapped it together to mock it up and didn't care. They cut the wrong threads on the part that attaches the lever to the master anyway, so I've gotta take it to work and rethread it tomorrow.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Turner rack stops showed up! Since they never mentioned the size, now I know. 38mm.

They take so much of the angle out that now the 205/50s clear with tons of room, but a massive decrease in angle.

So I think I'm going to go for a 245/40. 1/2" smaller then the 205/50 that's on there now but 1.6" wider. Then I should be able to trim the rack spacers a hair to dial in the sway bar clearance. Feel free to tell me if I'm being stupid about this

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Also, how are people normally mounting their master disconnects? Drag cars they want it by the taillights, easy enough, but it looks like the rulebook wants it "outside the vehicle, on the right side cowl, just below the windshield" My hood is off right now so i'm not positive, but i'm 99% sure the hood covers the cowl panel? I'm looking at Chelsea's car and it aappears to be mounted straight to the hood. I can't seem to find it on Alex Heilbrunn's car.
    Last edited by Novablue454; 01-20-2016 at 11:40 AM.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I've seen them poking through the hood. I think I've seen them on the A pillar inside the car but easily accessible from the outside. Most people do a pin on the bottom of the windshield that goes under the hood to pull the real pin.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    I've always done it by making a bracket that mounts to the inner fender rail(or whatever the technical term is), and to the firewall with the switch, and then drill a hole in the hood for it to poke through.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Cool. I ordered this guy http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fla-fr1013 so I guess i'll just have to see how it mounts up when it gets here.

I also ordered a pair of 245/40 Federal 595s for steer tires. I really want to run the R888s on the front, but I don't want to spend that money until I am confident in the sizing.

My trans has been in the shop for a week and a half and they haven't started on it yet. so I am seriously debating on if I can get away with installing the engine with the clutch/bellhousing on it, and then popping the trans in from underneath whenever I get it back. I would like to start working on my mounts for stuff around the engine, making all my AN hoses, routing wiring and hoses, etc and not having the trans is holding me up.

Also, mounting this GM gas pedal is going to be interesting. The BMW pedal mount is a circle and the steering column passes through it, and the column is in the way of any decent pedal placement. I'm either going to have to mount the pedal on the other side of the column and build a new pedal linkage, or possibly mount it upside down. We will see.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Started working last night on my heel plate and trying to figure out how to mount the GM gas pedal assembly. I still need to make spacers for the plate, and then I think I am going to wrap it in grip tape. I think I got the gas pedal mostly figured out by putting some cuts and bends in the linkage. I want to check the placement with a seat in it before I mount it though.

Mocking up the bash bar so I can start building the mounts to the frame rails.

The engine bay is mostly done. I am waiting on a firewall block off plate from HARD motorsport and then I think it's done.

Also, talked to the shop that has my transmission, and they said it would be no problem to convert it to F-Body style and I can pick it up at the end of next week.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Made the front hard lines tonight. Need to get a different flaring tool and wait for the chase bays proportioning valve to show up before I do the rears. Also installed some ECS stainless lines from the calipers.

Last edited by Novablue454; 01-25-2016 at 11:11 AM.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Made the line out the rears, waiting on a T to show up before I can tie it in under the car.

Started on the bash bar mounts

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Got the bash bar (almost) mounted. I still need to get some proper bolts and nuts to weld in to the sleeves so they'll pinch down.

a close up of the mount. I did it this way so if it takes a hit (hopefully) the bar will just slide under the pinch bolt rather then tweak the frame rail. I borrowed the idea from Odi, so I hope it works.

Got some metal cut out for the package tray and rear bulkhead and working on trimming it for a good fit.

and got the Sparco trunk tie downs installed (ignore the missing tail light)

I am having terrible luck with shipping lately. I ordered a pair of Federal 595s on the 19th and UPS lost them. The company is sending out another set thankfully, but how do you just lose a set of tires? Also, the Chase Bays proportioning valve never showed up and they didn't respond to multiple emails so we ordered one from SSBC. Of course when we emailed Chase Bays asking for a refund they responded with a shipping notice, 8 days after we placed the order. Still waiting on the flares from HARD to arrive and I placed an order for a Street Faction rear bash bar and GT style wing combo.

My Cars
    98 323
    yeah, UPS is pretty bad about losing stuff. did you see the youtube story about that guy who had his 4 rotor wankel "misplaced" by their employees. a few weeks later, he wound up getting a tip from someone saying that his engine pieces were being auctioned off on ebay

also, very very clean job on that brake line. looks almost OE
    M42 + trans - 427lbs
    302 + t5 trans - 475lbs
    m20b27 + g260 - 497lbs

LS,

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Now that you mention it, I do think I remember reading something about that on Jalopnik a while back.

Thanks!

The schedule for Drift Colorado just came out yesterday, and i've got until May to get it on the track.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    Wait, you're doing one of those weird looking bumper mounted wings? Just when I was starting to really like this build

Page 9 of 42 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast