Thread: Justin's LS E46

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Untitled by novablue454, on Flickr

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Stop. You're making it too pretty again.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by protomor View Post
    Stop. You're making it too pretty again.
    AMEN!! That is one purty show car right there!

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    went out yesterday and put some hard laps on it. It's amazing how different the RX7 and the E46 drive. It was a damn fun day. After lunch we noticed that after about every session the rear ride height was getting a little lower. I wrote it off as new suspension stuff settling. Finally it ended up with the tires touching the flares static, so I decided to stop being lazy and fix it. Grabbed the spanners, got under the car and found this

I had no idea this was a thing that happened. I got some reinforcement plates on the way already, but it does seem a little suspect that I was able to drive 2 seasons on BCs with no issues, and 4 hours on Fortune's this happens. The way the Fortunes interact with the RUCA is a bit different (bolting into it rather than just sitting on top) so I have to wonder if the BC style is better?

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    This is a known thing with E46s in general. It's an eventuality. Most guy swap to E36 steel versions to avoid this issue.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    Quote Originally Posted by protomor View Post
    This is a known thing with E46s in general. It's an eventuality. Most guy swap to E36 steel versions to avoid this issue.
    All those guys should have traded me for my steel e36 arms when I had an m3.
    jerks
    always trying to make it lighter and faster

^^former build: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-neglected-M3/
    current build: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...car-build.html
    instant grams: doktor_b

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    I have some e46m3 arms you could have, but you know, Canada..

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikestokman View Post
    I have some e46m3 arms you could have, but you know, Canada..
    And I sold my m3.
    im not putting that kind of work into the 328.
    always trying to make it lighter and faster

^^former build: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-neglected-M3/
    current build: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...car-build.html
    instant grams: doktor_b

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more

apparently the concrete magnet is just a BMW thing

and this was my trophy for the season...a literal concrete magnet

this is a video from another driver from out anniversary party, but there's a lot of good clips of me in the FC and my teammate in the teal 240

- - - Updated - - -

I think the M3 and non M arms are the same, in which case I have a ton of spares around. If not, I have another complete M3 rear end but I really don't want to take it apart.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Spring perches? Yea they're all the same.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    a couple cool videos dropped with a few clips of the E46. I'm loving this paint.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    So this reminds me of Danny George in texas this year. Are K barriers just made to pull cars up like that? Or is it an E36 thing? lol.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Lol I think its just an E36 thing. Another e36 hit that same barrier at the last event at that track (a g35 did as well). Everyone's sort of pissed they started insisting on putting them there for drift events, so I think there is going to be a discussion about that with management soon.

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    I don't get it really. Perfectly good grass run off area ruined by a K Rail at a fucked up angle. Who thought of that???
    If I'm missing something here please let me know.

Edit: K I watched the video after commenting and see that the track runs with it, still placed a little too close imo. Our tracks here in vegas have literally nothing (you drove our nice track btw) We do some in a parking lot and on the long sweeper you can rub the wall if you want but plenty of room for a tight line if you don't want to.
    Last edited by Press22; 11-21-2017 at 05:56 PM.
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Quote Originally Posted by Press22 View Post
    I don't get it really. Perfectly good grass run off area ruined by a K Rail at a fucked up angle. Who thought of that???
    If I'm missing something here please let me know.

Edit: K I watched the video after commenting and see that the track runs with it, still placed a little too close imo. Our tracks here in vegas have literally nothing (you drove our nice track btw) We do some in a parking lot and on the long sweeper you can rub the wall if you want but plenty of room for a tight line if you don't want to.
    There is no reason for it. This is a kart track, and they only set those up when the cars are there. Their justification is that they need to protect their fence. You can see in the video he went about as wrong as he could have there and still wouldn't have been near their fence. I have seen a car blow that corner and make it to the access road though lol.

- - - Updated - - -

I can't wait to drive that track again now that the E46 is driving better. I should have the RX7 there in Torquestorms booth as well, that road course would be a blast in it

My Cars
    BMW, Audi, lots of jeeps
    Quote Originally Posted by Novablue454 View Post
    Lol I think its just an E36 thing. Another e36 hit that same barrier at the last event at that track (a g35 did as well). Everyone's sort of pissed they started insisting on putting them there for drift events, so I think there is going to be a discussion about that with management soon.
    When I recently tried to get insurance for an event, it was mandatory if spectators could be within 50ft or maybe it was 80ft of the track. Made it basically impossible for a guy like me to put on an event without making it a full time business as a promoter. The inniceal investment was going to be a pretty large sum. It would have taken a lot of very successful events to recoup.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Quote Originally Posted by welchct View Post
    When I recently tried to get insurance for an event, it was mandatory if spectators could be within 50ft or maybe it was 80ft of the track. Made it basically impossible for a guy like me to put on an event without making it a full time business as a promoter. The inniceal investment was going to be a pretty large sum. It would have taken a lot of very successful events to recoup.
    I used to run events back in the day. When I got out of the game after 4 years, I had $200 profit total. I also drove twice in that time. #NotWorthIt

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    The track this was at is known for being .... lets call it "lax" on rules. Cageless tandems, no tech, etc. Its a cart track but allows drifting on weekdays or private rentals. As I mentioned, some people were not stoked about the k rails so they did not put them up for the event last weekend. They've got a section of like safety wall or something (it's plastic and expensive) and the number 1 rule of this place is don't hit that plastic wall. Of course the first event without the k rails someone destroyed a portion of it, so I have a feeling they're going to be up from now on.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    If I ran events again, it would be invitation only for reasons like this. I'm tired of hot bois thinking their hot stuff and ruining it for the others. Venues close, event prices go up, stricter rules get put in place.

My Cars
    BMW, Audi, lots of jeeps
    We really need someone with some cash to open up a place like Ebisu. I know it sounds unobtainable, but the off-road guys have been making a business out of it for about 15 years now. It's not highly profitable, but it has more than broken even and at least given the revenue needed to reinvest with improvements.

The Hot Springs park is like 1400 acres, that were bought from Weyerhaeuser for right around $1m in 2002 by 10 investors, including a 49% share bought by the Superlift company. There are now 14 investors excluding Superlift who is no longer involved. They are open every weekend and sell memberships that allow you to ride any time in the year or you can pay per day. There are club events with big raffles and they typically will do a cookout to collect some money. Basically you buy a meal and get tickets to the raffel. Companies donate merchandise in return for recognition. The park also has camping spots, RV hook ups and cabin rentals. Theres a single bath house with restrooms. They also have the main office which sells snacks/drinks, common parts and fluids and tons of merchandise like t-shirts, hoodies, stickers etc.

Most any given weekend the park sees at least 25 vehicles. On busy weekends there are typically at least 100. And on big event weekends and holidays it can get closer to 200 vehicles. When you enter the park, the rules are given to you and you're expected to follow them and conduct yourself responsibly. If you are caught not following the rules or acting like an ass, you get expelled from the park permanently. The rules are safely broken a lot but people are mindful of how they do it and they basically assume responsibility since they know their braking rules and could suffer consequences.

Something like Ebisu is possible with about a 3-5 million dollar investment and the invester understands the return is likely 10 years and will never profit. I think it would have to come from someone like Aaron who just loves the sport and wants to give the community something special.
    Last edited by welchct; 11-28-2017 at 01:02 PM.

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    ^ http://villainsdrift.bigcartel.com/villains-sportsland

They're working on that. I believe current status is planning with contractors and chatting with lawyers.
    I didn't buy or donate cause it's in WA and far from me, I just hope I don't regret it someday.
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    the major difference is, offroad parks don't have to pay for paving. Just some space with some dirt and a bobcat. There was one here (Colorado Off Road Extreme) that recently closed, and it was just some acerage in the plains with man made obstacles and mudpits. They also had some truck racing tracks, a mock stage rally track, and the rallyX group did their events there. The cost of paving something is insanely high. A quick google says 1-2 million per mile. I can't find a figure on how long the total tracks are at Ebisu, but I imagine at least a mile each and 7 of them, that's 7-14 million just in paving. Then you have a bunch of legality / zoning issues for constructing a racetrack, ETC.

I think it's doable, but it would make more sense to purchase an existing racetrack and add on to it. That way the zoning and initial construction expenses are taken care of.

My Cars
    BMW, Audi, lots of jeeps
    So, I agree to a point, and if we need to make a dedicated thread for this discussion to keep from derailing Justin's thread, I understand. But I think there's a bit of misconception to your point also.

On one hand, a facility doesn't need to be 1000+ acres like an off road park, so allocate a much smaller part of the budget to land purchase. Also with an off road park, man made attractions never work, so that explains their failure. You have to build an off-road park around naturally bad add terrain. As for the paved roads. The cost definitely varies by typography and geology. For instance building a track here in Arkansas where the ground is very hilly, rocky and full of thick red clay would cost a ton more than someplace like north Texas or Oklahoma where the ground is flat and more of a sandy lome. But I think if the location was carefully chosen several decent size tracks could be built for a few million. I think $3-5 million would finance a sustainable operation if planned well. It may not be as big or great as Ebisu. But I think something usable and sustainable could be created for that budget.

It probably comes down to regulation, lawyer, engineering, and bribery fees. You'd definitely need to choose the right county and state who will be proactive in community relations to help neighbors acceptance. Not saying it would be easy. But I do think it could be done if someone with competence and willingness stepped up to the plate to make it happen.

I think a company like Hoonigan would be highly influicial in the success of the facility. Getting a major brand with a lifestyle image behind the venture would not only give national focus to the project but it would allow a tax advantage for capital loses that would help float the first several years of growth. Development projects like this can have many facets to them that can make the venture profitable without actually creating income. A shop could setup a headquarters out of a complex similar to power vehicles and offer a similar service.
    Last edited by welchct; 11-28-2017 at 07:49 PM.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    I'm totally cool with derailing my thread haha! Yeah, I wheeled out there a few times when I had my TJ and it was just...meh. In the flattest part of colorado an hour from Denver with all obstacles out of dirt and concrete blocks. He was focusing all his efforts on the off road racing aspect of it which did well, but is such a niche market it wasn't able to sustain itself.

I fully admit that paving cost could be wayyyyy off, I googled "cost to pave road" and that's what came up.

For discussion's sake, this is my favorite track I have driven, is decently sized, is on property with plenty of room for expansion, etc. The facilities could use some updating though. It was for sale last year for 4.5 million IIRC, and did not sell as far as I know.
    http://www.racesandia.com/

Now this is a track locally (the same one the above event was at) with a small cart track, a few dirt bike tracks, and a dirt oval that I don't believe is used. It is not currently for sale, but rumor is that the owner will let it go for 6.5 million.
    http://imimotorsports.com/tracks.php

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Ebisu isn't possible in the states. We live in a litigious society so I think selling missiles isn't a good idea. Also, Ebisu is literally at the top of a mountain. People make huge trips just to get there.

I like the idea of whatever that piddly parking lot people do testing on before cali FD events. But insurance is $$$$

Page 39 of 42 FirstFirst ... 142930313233343536373839404142 LastLast