Page 28 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: Justin's LS E46

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Quote Originally Posted by welchct View Post
    You absolutely do not want the fuel cell to detach from the car. The fuel lines could rip loose and cause the whole cell to drain. That would be a terrible fire if it ignited.
    Yeah, that's a good call. After some thought (and pricing out options) I think I'm going to stick with the factory tank. I only was going to go fuel cell because my overfenders don't have a fuel door opening. It looks like I can just re-route a new filler neck to inside the trunk area, so i'll likely be doing that.

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    Quote Originally Posted by Novablue454 View Post
    Yeah, that's a good call. After some thought (and pricing out options) I think I'm going to stick with the factory tank. I only was going to go fuel cell because my overfenders don't have a fuel door opening. It looks like I can just re-route a new filler neck to inside the trunk area, so i'll likely be doing that.
    s
    unless you need to run a fuel cell to meet some rule/requirement, i'd say skip that extra work and expense.
    i'd 100% run the filler into the trunk (i plan to do the same thing eventually) and forego the cell. extra work, extra money. the BMW fuel tanks are ideally positioned as far as i'm concerned.
    always trying to make it lighter and faster

^^former build: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-neglected-M3/
    current build: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...car-build.html
    instant grams: doktor_b

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Got the ends of my frame capped

Spent some time taking and double checking measurements, and inputting them in to Bendtech, here is an actual render of what the tube rear is going to look like.

I've got to cut off the subframe reinforcement covers that I half assed on last winter and then make baseplates to cover those holes as well as baseplates on the strut towers. Then it's on to the fun stuff!

SLR is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '08 E46, E36,
    I'm really not up to speed on your build, but just wanted to add, try to go light on the rear structure so in the event of a crash it collapses rather than tweaks anything within the wheelbase.

Are you doing fuel-cell in the rear ? If you can I would retain the underseat tank at almost any effort, both for safety and balance,and also diff access is great. If you're already committed to rear fuel cell, can you go with a cell that only sticks back from the bulkhead maybe 12"? And then build a collapsible section aft of that ? DOW styrofoam (blue stuff) works great in thin-wall aluminum boxes as a crash structure.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Got started on building it a little tonight.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SLR View Post
    I'm really not up to speed on your build, but just wanted to add, try to go light on the rear structure so in the event of a crash it collapses rather than tweaks anything within the wheelbase.

Are you doing fuel-cell in the rear ? If you can I would retain the underseat tank at almost any effort, both for safety and balance,and also diff access is great. If you're already committed to rear fuel cell, can you go with a cell that only sticks back from the bulkhead maybe 12"? And then build a collapsible section aft of that ? DOW styrofoam (blue stuff) works great in thin-wall aluminum boxes as a crash structure.
    After lots of thought I am not doing a fuel cell. I am not really sure how to make a structure that is "crushable", so the plan is to build this structure pretty well, but attach it with bolts that will fail before the metal does. The structure coming off of it will be bolt on as well to hold on the body work, and then the bash bar will also be mounted with fail-able bolts.

SLR is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '08 E46, E36,
    Got started on building it a little tonight.

- - - Updated - - -

After lots of thought I am not doing a fuel cell. I am not really sure how to make a structure that is "crushable", so the plan is to build this structure pretty well, but attach it with bolts that will fail before the metal does. The structure coming off of it will be bolt on as well to hold on the body work, and then the bash bar will also be mounted with fail-able bolts.
    Easiest way to make it more crushable is probably just holesawing the crap out of it. makes it light too!

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    I took Sean's advice and holesawed it a bunch. I decided to forego the subframe tie ins, mostly because I am lazy. Got it mounted up last night but didn't take any photos since it's only 1/2 done.

Figured I'd post up why no work is getting done to my car haha, this is the customers G35 sedan we've been installing a cage in to, it's just about done. Need to make some B pillar gussets tonight and then get it painted.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Shit photo, but here's how the rear is coming. Got it mounted to the car, and a bar welded in between strut towers. hoping to make the ties from the rails to the bar this weekend and get the radiator / water pump re mounted.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Parents got me a new hood for Christmas! I am in love with it. Drilling it for pins was scary as hell though

I also experimented with 2 paint options for the car, I loved one and hated the other. Here's a video of the one I am going with.

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    that purple is way better than the blue.
    can't wait to see the whole car done!

also, i was expecting to see some larger photos of the pics posted to IG this weekend. :sadface:

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Got the quarters final mocked up tonight. Hopefully going to work on getting them mounted tomorrow

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by doktor b View Post
    that purple is way better than the blue.
    can't wait to see the whole car done!

also, i was expecting to see some larger photos of the pics posted to IG this weekend. :sadface:
    Which ones?

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    Which ones?
    ^^^these ones!!!
    looks so awesome.

My Cars
    1997 328i, 89 325ix
    that chameleon color is amazeballs.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Well, I test fit it last night and I forgot about my lower radiator hose, so I had to modify it a bit.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    One hole is off center.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by protomor View Post
    One hole is off center.
    Nice!

That is some beefy looking stuff you have going on there. Is most of it intended to be crumple-able for limiting damage to the chassis, or is some of it intended to be more structural?

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    Quote Originally Posted by tptrsn View Post
    Nice!

That is some beefy looking stuff you have going on there. Is most of it intended to be crumple-able for limiting damage to the chassis, or is some of it intended to be more structural?
    Anything with holes in it is intended to crumple as I understand it.
    keep from twisting up the unibody if he backs it into a wall.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Funny thing, I just saw that FD made a rule disallowing the shock/spring type rear hitter thingies. You know what I mean? Chelsea ran them. Lets you hit a wall and keep going. I wonder why they made that rule.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    Funny thing, I just saw that FD made a rule disallowing the shock/spring type rear hitter thingies. You know what I mean? Chelsea ran them. Lets you hit a wall and keep going. I wonder why they made that rule.
    Someone better tell Chelsea, they're still on his car. (saw it yesterday)
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    One hole is off center.
    dude. It drives me F_____ crazy, I can barely look a it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tptrsn View Post
    Nice!

I want it to fail and (hopefully) save the chassis. The holes are to allow it to crumple, and its mounted to the car via 2 grade 2 bolts at the bottom rails, and the uppers hose clamp to the bar I welded between the strut towers

- - - Updated - - -

Where? I can't find it on google

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Press22 View Post
    Someone better tell Chelsea, they're still on his car. (saw it yesterday)
    bummer. Didn't he just remake all those out of titanium or something crazy too?

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    bummer. Didn't he just remake all those out of titanium or something crazy too?
    That poor bastard really can't seem to catch a break...

My Cars
    96 328is 6.0L
    Beefy indeed, even with the holes drilled. Looks like a really nice thick metal too. Maybe drill another set of holes top to bottom in between existing ones?
    - 96 328is 6.0L. (LS1 to LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ad.php?2098938)
    - 96 328is 5.7L. (LS1 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1289987)
    - 95 ///M3 6.0L. (LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1619249)

- 97 ///M3. (e46 Fender Flares/track car build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1727098)
    - 96 328is (Dual Fuel Pump to Surge Tank thread: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?1964025)

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    This is really my only source - https://www.instagram.com/p/BOsAA2QAcFF/

He is the builder for the old sikky cars and Austin Meeks' S14 from last season.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    damn that is a sexy set up!

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Yea he makes some good shizzle.

Page 28 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast