Page 25 of 42 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Justin's LS E46

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Quote Originally Posted by TeXJ View Post
    Looks like a good list of "to-dos". What about your rear diff? I would give that a once over as well. Not sure if you're running a spool or a LSD, if it's a LSD I would check it and make sure no broken parts, disks and/or springs are still good...
    It's welded. I actually forgot that, I want to change my gearing as I'm sick of the 2.9.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    3.9 or 4.1 son!

I'm not fond of tubbing the front. It'll give you more wheel clearance but less in bay space. With all the heat the LS generates, I'd imagine just tubing the front and leaving it open would help overall airflow. lol tubbing vs tubing <_<

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    91 325is w/ m52b28_97XJ
    quick change rear diff

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    I'll probably do a 3.46, because I'm lazy and don't feel like trying to build a diff.

I want to tub it just because I hate the way my engine bay looks. The CF hood I get will be vented, and I don't think underhood temps are much of an issue (although I've never checked). Even tubing it would be better then it is now, it's just all cut up and I can work on my suspension though the hood. That did come in handy when I had to tighten my coil-over lock rings in the tech line once though.

Everything in the front is sort of lowest on the priority list though. I need to get the back half of my car together before I even spend too much time thinking about the front. I'm not even sold on wanting to do a cam fully.

SLR is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '08 E46, E36,

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by protomor View Post
    Does Kyle have a username on BF.c? Cuz him checking this section once a day could help a lot as many people seem to post here (and pm me).
    Honestly that's a great idea. I think we'll start doing that to try and keep in touch with you guys better!

It will just be week days, but obviously better than the occasional phone call I get telling me to check the forums.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    I'm so annoyed that there is no option to fully lock up (weld) an M3 diff, and no aftermarket offerings for full spools. I want to upgrade my rear end in preparation for future power, but it seems impossible to do so without running an LSD. Maybe I need to lurk Mike36's thread and try to convince myself the M3 diff isn't garbage.

Nothing's really been going on with the car. I have a good friend who works at Abra and was nice enough to come in on an off day and make sure the car was straight before I start cutting it up.

Would you believe it's completely fine? One measurement was slightly out (like 2mm) and that is being caused by my front cross member being tweaked at the ball joint stud. Oh, Speaking of that, AMDrift caught a perfectly timed shot.

Oh! And we closed on the new shop yesterday! It's still going to be a bit before it's up and running with the remodel and stuff, but I'm still way excited!

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Congrats on the shop! If you don't care about an LSD, there's still a bunch of other innards you can get and just weld up. The E32 750 diffs are 210. If you find one, you can just use the open part and weld it (Some might be LSD tho). Then send me the ring gear cuz they are 3.91 lol.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Yeah, I want nothing to do with LSD, I just want the stronger axles that come with the M3. I was just looking at the 4 clutch upgrades for 210 LSDs and come to find out even those don't work in the E46 M3 LSD and you have to replace it with a "standard style 210 unit" and then do the clutch upgrade on top of that. So from what I am getting there is no way to upgrade the E46 M3 diff without dropping like a G. uuuggghhh

That may be worth looking in to. I'd imagine those parts are hard to find though? I've never changed a carrier either, so idk how involved that is.

Nvm, I just read this and it sounds easy.
    https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/07...82601360695900

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    The M3 bits are "variable lock" so it has some electronic crap in the way so you can't just shove extra clutches in it.

Swapping out the insides of a non LSD into your M3 diff is quite doable. it's just involved and requires special tools.

Basically, as long as the diff unit and the case stay together (with the ring gear) you can do anything to the diff. The moment you muck with any combo of those three parts, you need to set lash and pinion depth. Lash just requires shims and you can probably do the paint method and be fine. Pinion depth adds a whole layer of difficulty.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    hrmmmmm. I just sent Thayer a message asking if they had any carriers that could be welded and installed in an M3 diff, I bet they'll get a laugh out of that Monday morning

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    "Thank you for contacting us!
    You have heard correctly about the factory E46 M3 LSD unit. It is a "variable locking" setup that leaves much to be desired even in new form, let alone in used.
    There were some early 210mm diffs that came with an open carrier, V8 E32 and E34's(non M) for instance. We do not have any of these laying around at this time.
    While I understand there are different strokes for different folks, I would really urge you to consider the options for a properly setup LSD such as an OS GIKEN or one of our 4-clutch drop in carriers.
    Obviously there is more initial cost involved going this route but there are benefits as well such as easier turning and less stress on axles, flanges and hubs.
    Whichever route you decide to go, installing the carrier will require new bearings and seals at a minimum.
    Keep in mind that we keep all bearings, seals and related hardware for the 210mm differentials in stock along with several different gear ratio options that may better suit your needs.
    Please let me know if you have any other questions we can answer for you.
    Thank you."

So basically, if I want to make this happen then I need to purchase a complete E46M3 drop out, then a 2nd diff from an E32/34, then combine those diffs in to one diff and weld it. Shit, it might be easier just to buy a 4 clutch drop in from Thayer then. I'm torn at this point, I need the M3 bits bad, but I really don't want an LSD. What to do, what to do.

- - - Updated - - -

lol, that OS GIKEN is 2gs

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    kaaz is cheaper.. but I'm not sure what their website is talking about http://www.kaazonline.com/3.html

How much is their 4 clutch drop in?

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Not sure, I asked but haven't gotten a reply yet. If it's over $650 I'm giving up on this and just going to try to do a late build 330i drop out

Started making the winter list.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    You have pretty handwriting.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    I think I might have found a solution to my woes, I found a 4.10 ratio open carrier 210 E34 diff on ebay for a good price. Research and some discussion tells me that the open carrier AND the 4.10 will bolt in to the E46m3 housing. Then I could be less then $1500 in to a complete m3 rear end with a welded 4.10

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Yep. that is one of the approved combos.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    I'm wrong again. the "large case 210" was only in E34 540i and M5, The one I found is apparently a medium case 188. So it looks like I am limited to the E38 740i Large Case but its a dang 2.93 again. So I'll end up with a welded 3.62 210 in the end. Whatever

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I'm planning on finding an old 540i diff. those are 3.9 tho IIRC. But yea, everything under that model level is a 188.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Ok, it's happening. I ordered a 2.9 open 740i diff, as well as a complete drop out M3 unit with all "upgraded" bushings. I'm going out of country for 2 weeks so it'll all be here ready to get in to when I get back. I found a DIY on the LSD change and it looks super easy, so that's good at least. I think the 3.62 will be OK, anything is better then 2.9 haha.

My Cars
    '08 E46, E36,
    Quote Originally Posted by Novablue454 View Post
    Ok, it's happening. I ordered a 2.9 open 740i diff, as well as a complete drop out M3 unit with all "upgraded" bushings. I'm going out of country for 2 weeks so it'll all be here ready to get in to when I get back. I found a DIY on the LSD change and it looks super easy, so that's good at least. I think the 3.62 will be OK, anything is better then 2.9 haha.

Crap, looks like I got here a bit late.

You can basically drop a complete E32 or E34 210mm into the M3 subframe by just swapping the rear cover and modifying the funny sidebracket on the old style 210mm.

I yanked a V12 E32 rear a few years ago at a local yard only to find out it was open diff (luckily before I bought it), so they definitely exist.

If you could send us some guts also, I bet we could machine some kind of full locking plates or even a true spool ($$)? I might even have a few 210's laying around under the bench.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I'm still looking for 210s... I want a 3.9 or 4.10 ring gear and a housing that will fit into the M3 subframe. But IIRC the E34 casing won't fit in an M3 subframe. I coulda sworn the E32 won't either..

My Cars
    '08 E46, E36,
    Quote Originally Posted by protomor View Post
    I'm still looking for 210s... I want a 3.9 or 4.10 ring gear and a housing that will fit into the M3 subframe. But IIRC the E34 casing won't fit in an M3 subframe. I coulda sworn the E32 won't either..
    You're right, looking at pictures I remember why now. The top of the E32/4 cases slopes down in front and the E46 ones has a big step for sub frame clearance.

Maybe a subframe notch or sledgehammer bash could fix that, lol

- - - Updated - - -

Here ya go: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E24-M6-E...9X33qL&vxp=mtr

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    I'm just surprised no one makes a drop in spool. Getting one for my drag car was like $100 bucks from Summit Racing haha. I can't imagine something like this 915Spool_1.jpgwould be too hard for someone who knew what they were doing to make. Pehaps there is just no market for it? The other problem is it would have to retail for like $500 or under to compete with the 4 clutch kits.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    The M3 stuff has arrived!

Also some equipment for the shop is starting to show up

Had a track day yesterday I decided to go to and it was so much fun! Still waiting on any media to surface though.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Here's one pic of the last event. Sucks because I felt like I was doing pretty good, but no media has surfaced yet.

Doozer sent me some final pictures before these go in their crate. I am beyond excited to get them installed.

I was going to start on my diff build Sunday, but instead threw my back out and have been in bed immobile since Sunday morning. Getting old sucks

Page 25 of 42 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast