Thread: Justin's LS E46

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    That front end shot is money!
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Quote Originally Posted by protomor View Post
    I always get worried that when a car looks good, it won't last very long (for various reasons). Please take tons of pictures of this beautiful beast. May you never need to fondly look back on them.
    That's exactly why I wanted her to come capture it's good side. We know I am with walls haha

My Cars
    4.8i E70; 1JZ E46
    Looks great! Are you running any sort of top-hat relocators for more positive camber?

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    No. I end up at between -4.7 and -5.0 each alignment. I'll probably order up a set of the new SLR top hats before my next alignment though.

My Cars
    4.8i E70; 1JZ E46
    Those new hats sure are sexy.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more

My Cars
    e46 325i, c5 vette, R1
    Excellent build!

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Had a fun test day at the local cart track with some friends.

17966667_1845273002403999_2432987746284038474_o.jpg

After hotlapping I was noticing lower then normal oil pressure (still in the OK zone though) and we came to the conclusion It was due to excess heat. I am going to try some 5w40 instead of the 5w30 i've been running, as well as picking up this oil cooler from a friend parting out his LS FC

My tach has always been a little jumpy, but lately all my gauges have been acting up and I wanted to add an oil temp gauge as well, so the obvious solution was a racepak

Hoping to have everything plummed and buttoned up by saturday night, then it's in to the trailer for LSFest!

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    Hahah obvious solution is racepak.
    Nice! I dig your "solutions" hahah
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Soon, soon. Hoping to pressure test the oiling system tonight and hopefully fire it up tomorrow night. Have a short list of other things to address and then hoping to be driveable by friday night. There is going to be bunch of media at LSfest I think so hopefully some good clips are in the future!

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    Quote Originally Posted by Novablue454 View Post
    Soon, soon. Hoping to pressure test the oiling system tonight and hopefully fire it up tomorrow night. Have a short list of other things to address and then hoping to be driveable by friday night. There is going to be bunch of media at LSfest I think so hopefully some good clips are in the future!
    Yeah, I'll probably record you too :P
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Well my car has decided to be an asshole lately. I installed that racepak and couldn't get it to work right at all. Took the car to a different shop known for their electrical work and they couldn't figure it out either. I sent the unit back to racepak for inspection or warranty, and am back to running my Glowshifts. I drove all of LSfest with no gauges (scary) but it worked out OK, just sick of pulling my dash over and over.

LSfest was rough, but a good time overall. I don't know if I was rusty from not driving all winter or what, but I kept making real dumb mistakes and psyching myself out. I qualified 15th (of 16) and ended up paired against Chairslayer in comp. I spun on my lead and pulled off a real garbage chase, and that was the end of that. It was a real fun event though, I hope it gains more traction and more people come out. It's got the framework to be an amazing event.

Got home and noticed that I slightly bent both the tie rod extensions, and I'm pretty sure it was due to not running rack stops. There's actually marks on the SLR blocks from where it was getting too much angle and the tie rod extension was hitting it. Time to install these stops I guess.

A few people commented on how much body roll my car had in Vegas, and after looking at some clips I can see it too. I re-ordered the Whiteline front bar that I was trying to get last season and now it's in stock everywhere. Got it, but still had to modify it to work with the SLR kit.

I also bumped the dampening in the rear from full soft to full hard, so I guess we will see what happens. We have a 3 day event coming up next weekend that is rd 1 of our DC points series paired with a Southwest Drift Pro AM competition and a car show with some drags as well. It's going to be nice as there's a practice area / skidpad open all day as well to play with the suspension settings and get things dialed back in.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Suspension tuning is a black art for drifting. People are starting to get very good at it. But the information isn't flowing as freely.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    I'm with you on the electrical gremlins driving you nuts. My car has 4 electrical gremlins making me crazy. My tach doesn't read right (despite being set to 3 pulses per rev), the GD driver's window won't roll up the last smidge when I close it (GD frameless windows), the main fan runs when the car runs despite the pcm being set to fire the fan at 165°, and my coolant gauge shows hot AF if the coolant gets hotter than 180°. The AutoMeter and pcm agree on the temps, so it's just my stock dash going rogue. I'm about to just replace it all with AutoMeter gauges and a few leds for turns and CEL.
    always trying to make it lighter and faster

^^former build: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-neglected-M3/
    current build: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...car-build.html
    instant grams: doktor_b

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    You're using the PCM to fire the fan correct? I just had mine wired with a fused 12v switched power to the fan and the control wire from the ecm straight to the ground on the fan and it worked perfect. I did ditch that though in favor of a toggle switch setup so I could run the WP/Fan with the car turned off to drop temps quick in the staging lines.

If racepak calls and says the unit tests OK, I am probably just going to rip every wire out of the car and have someone else re-do the whole thing from scratch. Electrical gremlins are one of the few things I have 0 patience for.

I've never had a tach read correct in this car. I even bought the $200 "tach signal adapter" from autometer specifically for LS swaps and that makes it somewhat work, but it jumps around like crazy.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    My tax is off by a factor of about 10. redline is ~700rpms. I tried one of those aftermarket tach thingies but it didn't do anything. I just listen for the "bap bap bap" lol.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    You're using the PCM to fire the fan correct? I just had mine wired with a fused 12v switched power to the fan and the control wire from the ecm straight to the ground on the fan and it worked perfect. I did ditch that though in favor of a toggle switch setup so I could run the WP/Fan with the car turned off to drop temps quick in the staging lines.

If racepak calls and says the unit tests OK, I am probably just going to rip every wire out of the car and have someone else re-do the whole thing from scratch. Electrical gremlins are one of the few things I have 0 patience for.

I've never had a tach read correct in this car. I even bought the $200 "tach signal adapter" from autometer specifically for LS swaps and that makes it somewhat work, but it jumps around like crazy.
    I'm super close to just buying the $130 painless fan control setup that uses its own temp switch and has a provision for a manual override. (Repurposed AC override)
    and my tach is butter smooth....just ~20% high. So I rev til about 4:30 or 5 o'clock and shift there. Not terribly accurate or safe. Mine is still a street car so I'm leery of a full custom dash over the factory dash. But I can't afford a AIM or SPA or similar. So if I can't make it read right, it's all coming out for a full suite of AutoMeters.

do your turn signals still work without the OE cluster?

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    Quote Originally Posted by doktor b View Post
    I'm super close to just buying the $130 painless fan control setup that uses its own temp switch and has a provision for a manual override. (Repurposed AC override)
    and my tach is butter smooth....just ~20% high. So I rev til about 4:30 or 5 o'clock and shift there. Not terribly accurate or safe. Mine is still a street car so I'm leery of a full custom dash over the factory dash. But I can't afford a AIM or SPA or similar. So if I can't make it read right, it's all coming out for a full suite of AutoMeters.

do your turn signals still work without the OE cluster?
    Seems like a dakota digital would fix your issue with the tach.
    http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod/prd127.htm

I run one on my E28
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Are you tuned on HPtuners? Theres a "tach output setting" in the tune that is adjustable, and i've read all sorts of different info on what to set that number at.

I don't have any turn signals. No stalk, no wiring, no bulbs haha.

I'm with you Jalopi. I just set my rev limit at a safe amount (6200 IIRC) and I just shift by ear.

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    Quote Originally Posted by Press22 View Post
    Seems like a dakota digital would fix your issue with the tach.
    http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod/prd127.htm

I run one on my E28
    i shouldn't need that. But it's definitely an option.

Are you tuned on HPtuners? Theres a "tach output setting" in the tune that is adjustable, and i've read all sorts of different info on what to set that number at.

I don't have any turn signals. No stalk, no wiring, no bulbs haha.

I'm with you Jalopi. I just set my rev limit at a safe amount (6200 IIRC) and I just shift by ear.
    tuned on HPTuners. By the time we were almost done with the tune, and I noticed the tach was way off, the tuner's laptop was dead and we were 30 minutes past close. I need to go back for a revision anyway. So I'll see what can be done about the tach at that time. Just need to be patient. (Not my strong suit)

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Well, the Into Thin Air Drift Party is over, and what a fun weekend it was. Quick rundown of the event, Friday night was open drift on the Pro-Am layout, Saturday was the Southwest Drift Pro-Am, and Sunday was Drift Colorado Rd. 1. Friday night drift was a blast (as night drifting always is). Got quite a few runs in and the car felt great with the changes we made. Saturday I spotted for my teammate Ian who ended up qualifying 8th but went out in top 16. We had to scramble to fix his car after an impact in Saturday practice and barely got it on grid in time. Sunday we switched the layout for the Drift Colorado comp and by the end of practice I was feeling pretty good about it. Changed tires before qualifying and spun in my first round. Like an asshole I dumped tire pressure to try to get more bite and ended up debeading in the burnout box. Called a 5 minute and the dang wrench broke taking the lugs off so timed out. Oh well. Media is just starting to surface so I'll update as I find stuff.

Set up in the pits

Fixing Ians car after he got hit in the rain

Always a good day when SLR bits show up!

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Copying me! I have a date with an alignment rack today.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    I bought the Tenhulzen string system, I re-align my car way too often to keep paying for alignments.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I got a bud at a shop with an alignment rack. I'm gonna have the laser machine do it, then double check with the Trenhulzen string system too. I have one of the first kits and it doesn't come with instructions, can you email me a copy? protomor at gmail.com

Page 33 of 42 FirstFirst ... 82324252627282930313233343536373839404142 LastLast