Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Rear Deck Speakers Choices

My Cars
    E38 7er, E46 M3
    Friend had a set of two E39 door speakers (premium package). They look similar to the Monsoon speakers. Pretty much bullet proof. The ones that came off of my E38 were so brittle that the foam became like dust and flied away with barely touching on it. I also installed four Kicker speakers in he rear deck, that I had in my first E38. Now need a pair of speakers for the front doors and it's done.

Next, I am going to replace the head unit with the Alpine ILX-007 mechless unit. But the frame is the big problem here. I don't want to get one of those flat black double din bezels. Looks cheap and too empty with no buttons (even though the unit will be touch screen). If I can find a non working factory wide screen monitor, I might remove the guts and use it in place of a bezel to keep the ageless factory look.

My Cars
    06 Audi A8L Quattro
    Quote Originally Posted by dville View Post
    Whenever I get around to it I will get some door boxes and do it neater by separating the Monsoons from the spacer first and dropping the speakers Into an uncut BMW box
    Cut original mounting standoffs to be flush with surface

Hole is slightly too small

Used a jigsaw and made the hole slightly larger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    06 Audi A8L Quattro
    Did another box this week and shipped it off to NY

Again, I no longer cut the factory box, so see how the one in the middle has been modified

My Cars
    E38

Again, I no longer cut the factory box, so see how the one in the middle has been modified

Is there a performance advantage to this, or does it make it easier for you?
    E38 M Sport 6 Speed MANUAL

My Cars
    06 Audi A8L Quattro
    Takes the same time. I used to cut at first and was hesitant to change anything.
    I did one for a friend with reforming instead and it sounded the same.

The reforming is preferred since it can go back to stock.

My Cars
    bmw e38 740i
    hi deville how did you go about reforming the box heat gun/ blow torch and what other tools for applying pressure? just got 2 of these speakers from the u.s to replace the blown 2 in my box i intended on doing the inner 2 1st then i can add the other 2 at a later date with the box in the car. getting these speakers in the uk is impossible as we got the nokia dsp.

My Cars
    bmw e38 740i
    it will be screwed where the window regs been replaced, the whole inner door skin is part of the regulator on vw.

- - - Updated - - -

dville, what did you use to reform the plastic blow torch/heatgun? also what hand tool did you use to stretch it out?
    Did another box this week and shipped it off to NY

My Cars
    01 740i,E93 M3,E30 325is
    If anyone is interested I will be selling my Ghost sub and Amp combo. This was $450 new, I used it for a year puttlng the car back to more stock so make me any offer

My Cars
    06 Audi A8L Quattro
    You have to cut the spacer away from the VW Monsoon speaker to use them in a BMW.
    I use a heat gun and a can to reshape the box.
    It's a lot of work. That's why people just pay to get it shipped plug and play.

My Cars
    bmw e38 740i
    i would myself but being in the uk its not really a feasible option for me, the speakers alone will cost me more than what your charging.
    You have to cut the spacer away from the VW Monsoon speaker to use them in a BMW.

My Cars
    06 Audi A8L Quattro
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwe38dave1 View Post
    i would myself but being in the uk its not really a feasible option for me, the speakers alone will cost me more than what your charging.
    Shipping is $297 US

My Cars
    06 Audi A8L Quattro

Getting the sub box out of this junkyard car was a bit different since the doors were locked and the rear glass was already cracked.

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Thats 1 way to do it! Dont do it this way on your car... ;p

My Cars
    tbd
    if you go back to that white e38, can you see if it still has the heated windshield washer spray nozzles?

Looking to buy

My Cars
    06 Audi A8L Quattro
    This is about my 19th Monsoon sub that I have made.

My Cars
    '98 E38 740IL, '01 740i
    Hey dville, what was your pricing if i send my sub box to you? considering getting this done while you can still source the speakers.
    TRPCHGE - '01 740i Black/Black 230k'ish - Power folding mirrors, Mk.IV Nav, 16:9, M-pars, Sport seats, Sport wheel, Steptronic, Euro rear fog switch, 2.50" X-Pipe, Shadowline, E53 4.6is Cluster, Lacewood interior, Chromeline, 3.15, Bilstein B6+H&R Stage II's. - SOLD 06/21

BSKCASE - '98 740il Arctic Silver/Black 175k'ish - Face-lifted, 3" Projectors, Shadowline, 01 Tails, Hydro Trunk, Sunshades, 750il Full interior retrofit, Sport Seats, Steptronic, Face-lift Steering Column, X5 Steering wheel, E53 4.6is Cluster, Euro E66 Piano black/Chrome Grab-handles, Chromeline, Suede Pillars/Headliner, Auto wipers/Lights, Lighted Handles interior/Exterior, Dual battery retrofit.

WIP: Custom Style 42 18x9.5" ET12, 18x10.5" ET8, 3.15 LSD Rear diff.

My Cars
    06 Audi A8L Quattro
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabreslight View Post
    Hey dville, what was your pricing if i send my sub box to you? considering getting this done while you can still source the speakers.
    Click on the link in my signature for details on how to get one.

My Cars
    '98 E38 740IL, '01 740i
    Click on the link in my signature for details on how to get one.

Thank you sir, guess I looked that link over lol
    TRPCHGE - '01 740i Black/Black 230k'ish - Power folding mirrors, Mk.IV Nav, 16:9, M-pars, Sport seats, Sport wheel, Steptronic, Euro rear fog switch, 2.50" X-Pipe, Shadowline, E53 4.6is Cluster, Lacewood interior, Chromeline, 3.15, Bilstein B6+H&R Stage II's. - SOLD 06/21

BSKCASE - '98 740il Arctic Silver/Black 175k'ish - Face-lifted, 3" Projectors, Shadowline, 01 Tails, Hydro Trunk, Sunshades, 750il Full interior retrofit, Sport Seats, Steptronic, Face-lift Steering Column, X5 Steering wheel, E53 4.6is Cluster, Euro E66 Piano black/Chrome Grab-handles, Chromeline, Suede Pillars/Headliner, Auto wipers/Lights, Lighted Handles interior/Exterior, Dual battery retrofit.

WIP: Custom Style 42 18x9.5" ET12, 18x10.5" ET8, 3.15 LSD Rear diff.

My Cars
    01 330 CiC, 05 X3 3.0
    I'd like to do this to my car, I managed to get a set of 4 monsoon speakers from the local pick n pull. How the heck to you separate the speakers from their mounting ring so you can get them in the box? I've tried going at one with a razor blade, but I'm afraid I'm going to slip and cut one of my fingers off!

My Cars
    06 Audi A8L Quattro
    Quote Originally Posted by ConvGeorge View Post
    I'd like to do this to my car, I managed to get a set of 4 monsoon speakers from the local pick n pull. How the heck to you separate the speakers from their mounting ring so you can get them in the box? I've tried going at one with a razor blade, but I'm afraid I'm going to slip and cut one of my fingers off!
    This thread that you just posted in has several pages.

Look back at a few pages and you will see how to do it.

My Cars
    03 M3 00 740i 98 528i
    Has anyone tinkered with the idea of doing the 4 ohm in the rear deck, but putting the 2 ohms in our rear doors like the VW, with 4 ohm speakers in our front doors? Just an idea. I love bass as much as the next guy, but I like a balance. I would speculate there was a reason as to why they put a 2 ohm speaker in the rear of the VWs......

Just a thought! Def looking forward to the feedback! My 38 and 39 speakers are junk so winter is here. Game on on the audio systems.
    2000 740i - 149K - Dville Monsoon rear deck speaker upgrade, GROM audio Bluetooth
    1998 528i - 204K - GROM audio Bluetooth setup, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, BSW Stage One speaker kit, Facelift Xenon's with Angel Eyes
    2003 M3 - 210K - BMW Euro Cross Drilled Rotors

My Cars
    '00 E38 & '91 E34
    I managed to source 4 Monsoons with the code 1J0 035 411 A.
    These also fit as they are just the same as the 1C0 035 411 G speakers - the VAG guy who I got these from, told me that the part code changed but the speakers are the same. "A" at the end means a revision, an upgraded detail.
    Mine came from a 2005 Skoda Superb and have 4 wire connectors - most likely for filtering different frequencies. The speakers are still marked + and - so for E38 DSP install you can either remove the connector and solder two wires directly to the speaker or connect 2 of the right and 2 of the left wires together and splice the wires there.
    And yes, the 1J0 035 411 A speakers are also 4 ohms and look exactly the same as the 1C0 035 411 G Monsoons.
    Not 100% sure about the inside, perhaps they changed something with the provision. But I still think they are alike enough to go with 2 x 1J0 035 411 A and 2 x 1C0 035 411 G and still get the same result as with 4 x 1C0 035 411 G.

TL;DR
    You can also get the 1J0 035 411 A Monsoons or even mix them with 1C0 035 411 G because from the outside they look exactly the same.

My Cars
    2014 Ford Focus ST

So once you heat up the openings, do you press the speaker into place to get a perfect fit? Or do you use gloves and fingers to widen the hole?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

My Cars
    01 Dinan 740iS, 97 318ti
    Use a jar of some type would work the best. I used an empty mayo jar that was the size I needed.
    '01 740i Sport MKIV, Quad Brake Lights, OEM Bi-Xenon retrofit, LED Angel Eyes, HID Fogs, LED Plate Lights, Dinan 7 certification, BM53 radio, OEM Sirius, Aux Input, TCU Bluetooth, Intravee II, iPod, Strong Strut, Dinan Struts, Springs, Camber Plates, Intake, MAF, CAI, Exhaust and Throttle Body

'99 318ti Titanium Silver '97 318ti Boston Green; '96 318ti Alaska Blue (sold); '08 X5 4.8i Titanium Silver (sold); '13 X5 3.5i Black Sapphire Metallic (sold)
    '84 633csi Black (sold); '88 325iC Black (sold); '97 740iL Black(sold); '01 740iS Black(sold); '97 318ti Alpine White (sold)

My Cars
    2014 Ford Focus ST
    Quote Originally Posted by 740iSport303 View Post
    Use a jar of some type would work the best. I used an empty mayo jar that was the size I needed.
    Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast