Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Yoshi's E46 LS powered wagon

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Well now I'm very sure the head is cracked or at least the HG is shot. I started the car, got it to temp and drove it for 0.01 miles. There's missing coolant in the res. Refill, repeat, same thing. No leaks on my drive. No water in oil. No signs of it going anywhere. I didn't see any vapor out the exhaust but I'm also running 100% water right now.

So yea, motor is shot. Kinda not super sure what to do. I'm so tight on cash that I can't justify anything. I'm already at my internal limit of "this much money and no more". Wife doesn't want me to sell it because it's the next race car and wagons are super hard to find.

I'd yank the engine and sell it now but I kinda need it to move around since my driveway is single file and only the top of the driveway is flat enough to work on a car.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I picked up my donor car. Sadly it wouldn't start or even crank over well enough to compression check it so I'm gambling fairly big on this. But I did get it for super cheap.

It is pretty hard up. It does have one heated seat. The PO also seemed to be a "club" promoter. I'm guessing hispanic....

Regardless, this is why I wanted it:

The car made it to the shop because it "needed a clutch" and never came back for it (8 years ago). The clutch pedal simply feels like the master or the slave died as it's super spongy and I can vaguely hear a "click" when I press down on the clutch.

The plan for right now is to check/fill fluids and try to get the car to start. The battery was dead dead dead (obviously) but my wagon's battery could only muster a series of "clicks" from the starter. I'm charging both batteries but I don't think that's the issue. I have a fresh ground strap for the engine, will clean up the terminals, and maybe smack the starter with a hammer a few times. I won't pull the motor until I can guarantee the motor is good or bad.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    98 323
    this probably isn't necessary, but i usually do this with engines that haven't been started in years. it's hearsay, but i had an old coworker (at a shop) tell me once that dry ass piston rings can make it tough to start something that's been sitting for a while

remove all spark plugs, pour about 1/8 cup of ATF into each cylinder. let it sit overnight or for a day or two. just remember to crank it over for 10-15 seconds before reinstalling the spark plugs. i guess rich people could probably use seafoam instead
    Popular engine swap weights & stock engine weights
    M42 + trans - 427lbs
    302 + t5 trans - 475lbs
    m20b27 + g260 - 497lbs
    m52b25 vanos + g250 - 544lbs

351w + t5 trans - 572.5lbs
    LS,
    aluminum block + t56 - 609lbs
    LS, iron block + t56 - 719lbs, EST.
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...60-m42-1jz-2jz

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    good idea. I shall do that kind sir.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Quote Originally Posted by jalopi View Post
    this probably isn't necessary, but i usually do this with engines that haven't been started in years. it's hearsay, but i had an old coworker (at a shop) tell me once that dry ass piston rings can make it tough to start something that's been sitting for a while

remove all spark plugs, pour about 1/8 cup of ATF into each cylinder. let it sit overnight or for a day or two. just remember to crank it over for 10-15 seconds before reinstalling the spark plugs. i guess rich people could probably use seafoam instead
    No BS, I did that with Marvel Mystery Oil (instead of ATF) on my old Saab that had a punctured oil pan that ended with a locked up engine, popped the engine over backwards, it un-stuck, and the car drove another 30k before the Trans took a dump.

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Marvel Mystery Oil is the shit. The real question.. are those millers skunked or nah?
    |1998 Arctic Silver M3/4/5|
    |Forged/Built S52|
    |Bilstein Pss9|
    |Fikse FM10 17x10r 17x8.5f|

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Turns out the PO slicked down the walls with wd40. With the plugs out the motor turned super easy. That made me happy.

The beers are all empty. I wouldn't have touched one at all. I put on some fresh ground straps, hit the starter a few times, and did some other stuff. I need to get the batteries tested today. Rule that out as a possibility. If they are good and it won't start, I guess next step is to replace the starter.

My Cars
    98 323
    if only you had a good starter laying around somewhere

(the auto and manual starters are the same, yea?)
    M42 + trans - 427lbs
    302 + t5 trans - 475lbs
    m20b27 + g260 - 497lbs

LS,

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Pretty much. Which is nice. lucky. I think auto/manual starters are different for earlier 3 series

- - - Updated - - -

Yay the battery had a dead cell. I had another mid charged battery and the car turned but wouldn't start. I tried some starter fluid and just got a few sputters before the battery gave out. The battery is being charged right now and I bit the bullet on a jump box for extra fun. The motor did turn over pretty strong though. I think the fuel might be bad. Sadly, it has a half a tank so draining it will be fun. Gonna drain it, put on a new fuel filter, and give it about 2 gallons of fresh fuel. I wonder what a good way to test fuel pressure. I can't easily attach to soft lines. Is there an easy way to tell if fuel is bad?

My Cars
    82 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by protomor View Post
    Pretty much. Which is nice. lucky. I think auto/manual starters are different for earlier 3 series

- - - Updated - - -

Yay the battery had a dead cell. I had another mid charged battery and the car turned but wouldn't start. I tried some starter fluid and just got a few sputters before the battery gave out. The battery is being charged right now and I bit the bullet on a jump box for extra fun. The motor did turn over pretty strong though. I think the fuel might be bad. Sadly, it has a half a tank so draining it will be fun. Gonna drain it, put on a new fuel filter, and give it about 2 gallons of fresh fuel. I wonder what a good way to test fuel pressure. I can't easily attach to soft lines. Is there an easy way to tell if fuel is bad?
    yes the fuel is bad if it's been sitting for 8 years .... there's no doubt about that .... drain it, change the filter, clear the lines and put fresh fuel in it and it'll most likely start ... check for sparks too

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I got new plugs from the other motor I'll swap in for good measure. Shouldn't take too long.

My Cars
    98 323
    pour the gas in question into a cup or a bowl or something. take a good whiff. if it doesn't immediately make you reel, it's bad gas
    Last edited by jalopi; 11-17-2015 at 11:00 PM.
    M42 + trans - 427lbs
    302 + t5 trans - 475lbs
    m20b27 + g260 - 497lbs

LS,

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Well the fuel in the tank visually looks good. Clear and no particles floating around. So I didn't bother trying to siphon any out. I pulled out the fuel filter and tried to start the car, assuming that I could watch the fuel drain from the hose and hopefully let it siphon itself. But much to my surprise, nothing came out after the initial bit. So I swapped relays and checked every fuse in the car with no success. So I finally got to the fuel pump and tested that it was getting 12v for 5 seconds with the key on. Yep. So I yanked the fuel pump and bench tested it. Nope.

Ok. I need a fuel pump. Good thing I have another car with a good one in it! Too bad I ran out of daylight and it started to rain. PS damn you bmw with your single use hose clamps. Also why the hell won't the fuel pump easily go all the way back in? Feels like it's hitting something. Freaking thing works like a mason jar.

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Progress is progress. Keep at it dude!
    |1998 Arctic Silver M3/4/5|
    |Forged/Built S52|
    |Bilstein Pss9|
    |Fikse FM10 17x10r 17x8.5f|

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    What do you know? It runs! Sounded like hell when it first started up but most of the whine went away after a few minutes
    https://instagram.com/p/-Uh_tUTAQp/

So the fuel pump did it. The fuel in the tank was fine. The clutch is definitely hosed. When I press down on it, the car tries to die and I hear a sound like you're grinding gears. I'm pretty sure it's not the hydraulic system at this point but examination can take care of that. Ok.. now what do I do? Anyone want the M52 engine and auto trans?

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima

Sorry no major progress in a while. The E30 had the last track time of the season so all attention went there. The motor started its way out today. The headers to the exhaust was so rusted out that the bolts won't take any socket I have. Thankfully, I can pull the motor without removing the intake manifold. I think I can keep all electronics on the motor so that's a plus too. I'll likely yank the motor wednesday. Since I have no garage, I'll temporarily leave it in the wagon.

All that needs to happen now is to take out the shifter/drive shaft and start yanking. I think. Heh. I got exhaust and wiring stuff done, the wife took out the AC/rad/ps cooler and misc things attached from the motor to the chassis.

My Cars
    2002, e30 M3, 535
    Damn Proto. Didn't know you were hispanic, in the club scene and also liked big booties... ;-)

if you need to create some room in your engine bay for that V8 and want to go boosterless and gain fiull bias adjustability, may I interest you in a forthcoming brake product? ;-)

1969 2002 racecar + 1989 e30 M3 racecar

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I'm guessing hispanic cuz I'm doing a parts car in my driveway. I do live in a predominantly hispanic neighborhood. Don't get the club scene thing. And it seems you like my wife's ass. lol.

I'd love to try it but I'm sponsored by, what I suppose is, a competitor. Plus I'm expecting the E46 to be able to keep factory brakes when that time comes.

My Cars
    98 323
    dat awkward moment when you realize he was referencing those pictures/posters found in the sedan... lol

also, i think i might be the one of the only guys that'll have to remove his brake booster for a v8 swap. i believe all variations of the 302/LS/LT/SBC will fit in an e36/46 without having to remove the booster
    M42 + trans - 427lbs
    302 + t5 trans - 475lbs
    m20b27 + g260 - 497lbs

LS,

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    The E36 LS I saw kept vac assist. E46 can too!

and wow yea I just realized that. Thought he was talking about my wife's ass <_<

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Sorry for the poo quality. I had video but the gopro corrupted. Which is ok because I did some mildly unsafe things like sit under the engine hoist and unbolt stuff with an engine dangling over me. I always forget to disconnect something. In my haste , I forgot to disconnect the throttle cable. I wound up having to cut it. I assume auto and manual are the same so it's no big loss. I did manage to keep the intake manifold on so that's a win for me. The similarities between E30s, E36s, and E46s is hilarious. E46s seem to love them some 16mm nuts. The fuel pressure regulator was a pain since everything was rusted on. I even had to pull the motor half way out before disconnecting any of the exhaust (seriously).

Sadly, my wish of leaving the motor in the hatch of the wagon didn't pan out and it's going to rain for the next few days. Tarp it is! I still need to pull the motor out of the wagon but first is cutting up the sedan. I'm hoping to drop the full front subframe as one piece with the wheels then cut up the frame off the firewall. Gotta drop the fuel tank first and i suppose yank out the brake lines. At least drain them.

I believe the throw out bearing died long ago and the slave plunger started to make contact with the pressure plate. The clutch looks fine though. So I'll just get a new throw out bearing. Maybe a new shift fork. This is a temporary motor swap so I'm not sure how far I want to go with this.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Rear half is going to become a trailer. Front half is going to become a racing sim cockpit. MUAHAHAH

My Cars
    98 323
    but you could have a sweet signature pic like mine
    M42 + trans - 427lbs
    302 + t5 trans - 475lbs
    m20b27 + g260 - 497lbs

LS,

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Mine will be cooler!

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I should take better pictures. My resolve to make the gaming cockpit has dwindled. The parts are so big and assembling it will be a pain. I might just chuck the main cabin area. I have my hands full with making the trailer and the actual manual swap anyway. Stuff is just sitting out in the rain at this point.

I finished stripping out the interior. The E30 was a one piece carpet. I don't remember the E36 but the E46 has a second piece that starts under the seats so that's pretty cool. I took out the body/dash harness. Even though I cut it with the body, it still weighed a good 30+ lbs. Random notes are that the wiper wiring goes through the body from the passenger's side and runs to the driver's.

Of course, somewhere along the lines, ants found their home in a huge way. I literally picked up a ball of ants.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast