Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: •Official• M Rain Fabric Thread

My Cars
    e23, e28, e36
    Anybody willing to sell a large enough scrap piece to make a shiftboot? Please PM me.

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by GG Allin View Post
    What did you use for an adhesive?
    I used the 3M headliner spray, but it sucks. I'm not doing anymore material on complex panels until I can get proper glue that the professionals use. The canned options do not work well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by D Unit View Post
    Anybody willing to sell a large enough scrap piece to make a shiftboot? Please PM me.
    I've got some scrap I can sell you. It has glue on the backside but the front side is perfect. What size do you need?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Absolutely. I'll shoot you my number

I am in no way liable if a quoted figure is too much or too little, but based on what others have bought and some critical thinking, I've been quoting the following figures:
    [/COLOR]
    Shipment is IN!!!
    I got in a shipment today and after shipping out pending orders I currently have a 5 yard, 3 yard and 2 yard segment ready to ship immediately

The Alcantara is also here!
    FULL WIDTH 58" sections available in addition to the 21.5" segments I carried before!
    The 21.5" has foam as before, the 58" does not have foam

Buy any of these fabrics today on the newly redesigned www.bmwfabric.com

More is coming! Stay tuned!!!
    That isn't a half bad price for Alcantara. I need enough to do my headliner, pillars and rear deck. Another order probably coming your way.

My Cars
    4Runner/911
    Quote Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
    I used the 3M headliner spray, but it sucks. I'm not doing anymore material on complex panels until I can get proper glue that the professionals use. The canned options do not work well.
    That's good to know. I have my door panels removed and partially disassembled. I don't even want to start messing with this fabric (considering the price paid) until I know what adhesive to use. Hopefully someone will chime in.
    1988 911 - Carb'd - Twin Plug - 3.6
    1999 SL 500
    2016 4Runner TEP - Gone
    1995 M3 - LS2 - Gone
    1998 M3 - Gone
    1991 M5 - Gone
    1993 RS America - Gone
    1995 M3 - Gone

My Cars
    e23, e28, e36
    I've got some scrap I can sell you. It has glue on the backside but the front side is perfect. What size do you need?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the offer Braymond, but the guy making my shiftboot ended up buying an entire yard for future customers so I'm good.

BTW, the quality of this stuff is excellent. I used it to replace my pearl beige carpet in my e23.

My Cars
    z3
    Looks great. Nice to see some of it starting to be installed as well. I have a little bit I put in my coupe hatch trim piece and my seat covers are being done as I type this It's not perfect, it's going to be redone before my interior is complete

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    z3
    Here's an S54 Z3 M Coupe with my M Rain fabric installed on the door cards and seats. Very cool build, read more about it here and here

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    98 M3
    Not big on the M logos on the doors but great work! Also great to see peoples plans with these come together. A friend of mine did his door cards to match his interior on his TiAg eurospec 94 m3. I'll see if he can shoot me some pics.

- 98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 124k and officially worthless - 89 m3, alpine/black 143k and officially old - 2000 323it, tiag/grey, 169k and officially boring

My Cars
    1996 E36 M3 Evo
    Here's an S54 Z3 M Coupe with my M Rain fabric installed on the door cards and seats. Very cool build, read more about it here and here
    But it's all 'raining' in different directions... was that by design or a mistake?
    '96 M3, S50B32, 6MT
    + good stuff

My Cars
    Prelude-328-M3-4Runner
    Quote Originally Posted by M3AN View Post
    But it's all 'raining' in different directions... was that by design or a mistake?
    looks pretty uniform to me.
    CBlock

My Cars
    1998 Techno M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by CblockM3 View Post
    looks pretty uniform to me.
    I see it (I think). Some looks like it is rain downward, some upside down and raining upward. Good eye. Most noticeable on the red streaks.

My Cars
    z3
    Ah, yes... both seat backs have the pattern "upside down," good eye. I didn't install it but it is uniform between both seats. Lets just say it was meant to be that way, shall we?

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    1995 325is
    I thought id share my interior rebuilding knowledge that i learned the hard way.

I've used 3M super 90 glue. I've used weldwood regular contact cement ( the red can) which you brush. i actually sprayed this glue and it did a decent job, but it was easy for the glue to bleed through the material if you were not careful.
    I've used harbor freight spray glue. I've used them all!

And NUMBER 1 SPOT GOES TO....Weldwood spray grade top and trim adhesive.

IMG_1065[1].jpg

ill tell you pros and cons.

Cons-
    • expensive (47 bucks)
    • must buy from ebay (home depot and local hardware stores will not have it)
    • You need a spray gun and compressor (My spray gun is a cheap gun from harbor freight. The all silver one with a cup on the bottom, like the old school paint guns. My compressor is a 29 gallon compressor from harbor freight. and it did an amazing job. i never really had to stop spraying)

Pros
    • with the spray gun you get excellent coverage and it takes little time
    • you can do light multiple coats to reduce chances of glue seeping through the material. I never had seep through with this even when i accidentally laid it down heavy on suede with no foam.
    • time to tack was about 10-30 mins. when i did the brush on red can of weldwood it took forever.
    • once both surfaces have glue and they are pressed together, they are not coming apart. I reupholstered the rear deck of my e36, and the curves by the rear brake light are pretty tight (most people have trouble here). Once the fabric was pressed into the curve it never came back up.
    • Temperature resistance to cold is like -30 F and over 200 F (don't quote me). I'm in Texas and i've had my rear panel baking in the sun and it still looks good.

Key to a good job is the prep work and 100 percent coverage of BOTH materials with glue. Let the glue tack (so when you touch it with you finger, and it doesn't stick to your CLEAN finger, then its good to go).

Also another important thing is to not install the newly upholstered panels for at least 3-4 days so you can let the glue cure (keep it away from the heat and cold, keep it at room temp)

I hope this helps anyone who is new to upholstery. Took me 10 yards of suede and lots of different glues to get pretty good at it. i redid my rear e36 shelf 3 times lol, but its perfect now.

As for when to use the foam backing and when not to depends on the panel and what you prefer to work with.
    Me, the only foam i used was on the headliner. For everything else i peeled off the foam backing.
    As soon as the glue covered foam touches the glue on the panel, its not coming back off. if you attempt to re position the fabric, the foam will stay on the panel and peel off the fabric and now you have a big mess.

Without foam, if you mess up and accidentally lay the fabric down with a crease or just in the wrong spot, you can pull the fabric back up usually and no harm is done.

I can upload pics of my interior if you guys want to see it.

My Cars
    1994 M3 Eurospec (25/45)
    Just received my m-cloth. I already have a full anthracite interior....and i have to say, this stuff is 100% perfect. It matches near-dead-on. Mine is going on the centre sections of a set of Recaro SRDs which will be installed this summer - pics will follow. BimmerBreaker's stuff is exemplary.

Also...4 yards is way more than necessary for two front seats. I'm looking for ideas for what to do with the rest. I like the trunk shot earlier in the thread. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

What seats are these? Look awesome, but I don't recognize them..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by notMpowered View Post
    Not big on the M logos on the doors but great work! Also great to see peoples plans with these come together. A friend of mine did his door cards to match his interior on his TiAg eurospec 94 m3. I'll see if he can shoot me some pics.

Agree on all counts. You sir, have decent taste.

1994 M3 Eurospec (Canadian Edition) #25 (http://www.bmwmregistry.com/detail.php?id=12244)

My Cars
    98 M3
    JJJames does your car have the matching door panels? I know some cars came with them and others came with leather panels but I can't remember which year/models corresponds to which? I have some plans to do my door panels but I'm finding the task very daunting as I have the airbag door panels which never came with the black rain fabric. I know that no one is going to be able to do it how I want it so if the panels are going to get screwed up it may as well be me that does it lol.
    Last edited by notMpowered; 04-02-2016 at 12:32 AM.

- 98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 124k and officially worthless - 89 m3, alpine/black 143k and officially old - 2000 323it, tiag/grey, 169k and officially boring

My Cars
    1994 M3 Eurospec (25/45)
    JJJames does your car have the matching door panels? I know some cars came with them and others came with leather panels but I can't remember which year/models corresponds to which? I have some plans to do my door panels but I'm finding the task very daunting as I have the airbag door panels which never came with the black rain fabric. I know that no one is going to be able to do it how I want it so if the panels are going to get screwed up it may as well be me that does it lol.
    Yes sir. But no air bags, as you point out (mines a '94). I can take pics when it's out of storage (a week or so).

1994 M3 Eurospec (Canadian Edition) #25 (http://www.bmwmregistry.com/detail.php?id=12244)

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, MCS
    Quote Originally Posted by louiee View Post
    I thought id share my interior rebuilding knowledge that i learned the hard way.

I've used 3M super 90 glue. I've used weldwood regular contact cement ( the red can) which you brush. i actually sprayed this glue and it did a decent job, but it was easy for the glue to bleed through the material if you were not careful.
    I've used harbor freight spray glue. I've used them all!

And NUMBER 1 SPOT GOES TO....Weldwood spray grade top and trim adhesive.

IMG_1065[1].jpg
    Where in texas are you?

My Cars
    1995 325is
    Im in San Antonio.

I didn't mean to hijack the thread. I just saw some problems posted about the foam with creases and glue problems. I thought i could help others from my experience since this material you guys are buying is not cheap.

Edit: Second best glue i used was the 3M super 90 but i used a whole can on half the rear deck shelf, so it wasn't worth it. Ended up finishing the other half with contact cement (weldwood red can) on the panel surface and a spray adhesive on the fabric and that side actually detached in the heat, but the super 90 held on.
    Last edited by louiee; 04-02-2016 at 11:33 AM.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by JJJames View Post
    Just received my m-cloth. I already have a full anthracite interior....and i have to say, this stuff is 100% perfect. It matches near-dead-on. Mine is going on the centre sections of a set of Recaro SRDs which will be installed this summer - pics will follow. BimmerBreaker's stuff is exemplary.

Also...4 yards is way more than necessary for two front seats. I'm looking for ideas for what to do with the rest. I like the trunk shot earlier in the thread. Any other ideas would be appreciated.
    Glad you got it and are happy with it!!!

To those of you who have been waiting for my other projects... I just paid yesterday for 50 yards of M-tech material. M tech we were able to make right off the bat in both dark gray and light gray variants. To those who have been waiting for light gray M rain... it may happen! Eventually, anyways...!

OEM M Tech

M Tech reproduction

There is currently a pre-order for M-tech going on
    Pre-order pricing is $90/yard including shipping to continental US

Current M-tech pre-order list

1. xphiledan
    2. Stonea 5 yards
    3. Gibbsinc 5 yards
    4. Bluebeamer
    5. d-rezzed
    6. Robots 5 yards
    7. mpilot88 5 yards
    8. matt-B 2 yards
    9. dahows 3 yards
    10.C_x_P 5 yards
    11. ST1G 2 yards
    12. TAJJ 5 yards
    13. IXSTATUS 5 yards
    14. Thatoneeuroe30 10 yards
    15. 89alpinem3 5 yards
    16. themtechnique -- 6yrds
    17. straight6pwr - 6 yards
    18. kgiynmgs - 3 yards

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5
    so will this work with the dove interiors?
    98 Estoril ///M3 4/6
    S54 swap CSL

My Cars
    98 M3
    So, I'm going to get started on my door cards next weekend. Has anyone had success without removing the foam? I'm just planning on getting all my ducks in a row before I start pulling parts out of my car. Also, these will be on airbag door panels.

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5
    So, I'm going to get started on my door cards next weekend. Has anyone had success without removing the foam? I'm just planning on getting all my ducks in a row before I start pulling parts out of my car. Also, these will be on airbag door panels.
    good question, never seen these done on airbag door cards..
    98 Estoril ///M3 4/6
    S54 swap CSL

My Cars
    98 M3
    In theory, it should be a first, as the black rain interior ended in 96, and side airbags started in 98(?)
    Also, I won't be duplicating the stitching that the airbag panels have near the handle. Way beyond my ability level, and doesn't add to the look IMO.
    Last edited by notMpowered; 04-06-2016 at 01:14 AM.

My Cars
    1996 E36 M3 Evo
    To those of you who have been waiting for my other projects... I just paid yesterday for 50 yards of M-tech material
    Shared: http://bimmersport.co.nz/topic/55668...ric-available/

#VeryCool
    '96 M3, S50B32, 6MT
    + good stuff

My Cars
    01 Z3M Coupe
    Ah, yes... both seat backs have the pattern "upside down," good eye. I didn't install it but it is uniform between both seats. Lets just say it was meant to be that way, shall we?
    The seat cushions are universal I just installed them without catching the patterns, just need to flip them around

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    You'll need to remove the foam or buy it without. I see no way to get it to not crease.

Soon as I get better glue I'll start messing with the panels again. I bought foam-less material recently. To deal with the compound door handle area I planned to try covering in a different direction. It is very hard to make up for lack of material needed in that section with fabric that has almost no stretch.

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast