Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2015 British GP @ Silverstone

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird

2015 British GP @ Silverstone

Great track, great number of fans. Great place to be at.

Drivers
    Championship Points
    Lewis Hamilton 169
    Nico Rosberg 159
    Sebastian Vettel 120
    Kimi Raikkonen 72
    Valtteri Bottas 67
    Felipe Massa 62
    Daniel Ricciardo 36
    Daniil Kvyat 19
    Nico Hulkenberg 18
    Romain Grosjean 17
    Felipe Nasr 16
    Sergio Perez 13
    Pastor Maldonaldo 12
    Max Verstappen 10
    Carlos Sainz 9
    Marcus Ericsson 5
    Jenson Button 4

Constructors
    Championship Points
    Mercedes 328
    Ferrari 192
    Williams 129
    RBR 55
    Force India 31
    Lotus 29
    Sauber 21
    Toro Rosso 19
    Mclaren 4
    Manor 0
    Last edited by auaq; 06-30-2015 at 11:31 PM.

My Cars
    '94 MX-6
    Yes! Can't wait for this one. In contrast to the state of F1 in Germany and its environs, Silverstone attendance this year is packed.

Current: '94 MX-6 V6/5 • '72 240Z • '10 Mazda5
    Past: '02 330i/5 • '85 RX-7 GSL-SE • '95 540i/6'95 525i/5'86 635CSi/5 • '88 JZA70 • '86 4K quattro • '85 RX-7 S
    Wish list: Type 44 • Manta • Pre-'85 CGT • 405 Mi16 • SVX • W123 Coupe

My Cars
    17 X5M, 19 X3, 03 C4S
    Any indication from Pirelli which tires are going to be used? Will they last more than 3 laps? lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan M3 View Post
    Crime is crime. So what if I have a badge, gun, taser, pepper spray, and a propensity for violating individual's rights?
    2017 X5 ///M
    2019 X3 XDrive 30i
    2003 C4S

My Cars
    '94 MX-6
    Looks like Hard (orange) are prime and Medium (white) are option.
    Past: '02 330i/5 • '85 RX-7 GSL-SE • '95 540i/6'95 525i/5'86 635CSi/5 • '88 JZA70 • '86 4K quattro • '85 RX-7 S

My Cars
    2006 Toyota Tundra
    Hamilton only has 169 points.

My Cars
    TBD
    Quote Originally Posted by BoldUlysses View Post
    Yes! Can't wait for this one. In contrast to the state of F1 in Germany and its environs, Silverstone attendance this year is packed.

A couple of weeks ago Silverstone announced a 44% discount on tickets (due to Lewis being champion they said) but it really irked the people who had already bought tickets. The stands wouldn't nearly be as packed without the discount.

Still, it's a different track (compared to those we've just visited) re: downforce levels, etc. So, it could play a little into Ferrari hands but I doubt it. Merc still has a second a lap in their pocket over Ferrari and Ferrari has margin over Williams.

Will we see the new FI nose they used in the Austria tests? It would make a nice change with some outside of the box thinking.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpine 318is View Post
    Hamilton only has 169 points.
    Done.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird

My Cars
    TBD
    Yeah I read the entire PDF earlier this week. I, for one, am glad of the results - except refueling.

I also read the result of the discussion held earlier this week about new rules/changes. The one that will kill F1 for me is they want to change Quali to friday, the have a 1 hour (reverse grid) race on Saturday, and the full GP on Sunday. Awarding points for both Sat (half) and Sun. If they do that I'll stop watching F1. Like the fans stated - we don't want gimmicks - reverse grids. Obviously this isn't written yet but wow, how silly can they get.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Quote Originally Posted by RidgeBack View Post
    Yeah I read the entire PDF earlier this week. I, for one, am glad of the results - except refueling.

I also read the result of the discussion held earlier this week about new rules/changes. The one that will kill F1 for me is they want to change Quali to friday, the have a 1 hour (reverse grid) race on Saturday, and the full GP on Sunday. Awarding points for both Sat (half) and Sun. If they do that I'll stop watching F1. Like the fans stated - we don't want gimmicks - reverse grids. Obviously this isn't written yet but wow, how silly can they get.
    It just begs the question what is it that they're trying to do? Where do they come with such ridiculous ideas from? And who instigated this idea or ideas?

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Hamilton on pole followed by Rosy and then Massa.

Should be a good race tomorrow.

My Cars
    TBD
    Williams, nice pace your updates brought!

Ferrari still 1 second off Merc.

Track limits 1 corner zero tolerance (cops/turn 9), well maybe they're gaining advantage on the last corner too. Oh well. Mr Whiting, you really need to up your game. So many drivers gaining advantage from the last corner.

Going to be a procession tomorrow unless something untoward happens - hopefully the start will shake things up a bit.

My Cars
    '07 E92 335i
    I would have never guessed another Mercedes 1-2 up front.

flickr
    BMW CCA #444326
    come see bought me

My Cars
    17 X5M, 19 X3, 03 C4S
    What a start!
    Crime is crime. So what if I have a badge, gun, taser, pepper spray, and a propensity for violating individual's rights?
    2017 X5 ///M
    2019 X3 XDrive 30i
    2003 C4S

My Cars
    17 X5M, 19 X3, 03 C4S
    Great race! I would love to be a fly on the wall in the Williams debrief room!

Also, congratulations to Alonso for making it into the points. A small consolation in a debacle of a season.
    Last edited by m3fuz; 07-05-2015 at 09:46 AM.
    2017 X5 ///M
    2019 X3 XDrive 30i
    2003 C4S

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    The start was fantastic especially by Massa as he zoom past both Mercs. Bottas could have gone past Hamilton had he not taken the wider line and turned in much tighter to keep both Mercs out of his defensive line. I think for the first part of the race I was truly enjoying the battle upfront before the round of first pitstops. What surprised me in the meanwhile was the lack of pace from the Ferrari's, yet again. It was truly disappointing watching them falling back and Hulk getting into fifth place. Soon enough other drivers caught up with them and overtook them with ease. After the first pit stops it looked like it was pretty much over for the Williams but they still seemed to have enough pace to keep Rosberg behind. Then came the rain. I think Kimi/Ferrari made the wrong call for inters. Kimi came in way too early and at that point I knew it they were wrong. Alas! Deja vu 2009 Malaysian GP. Vettel on the other hand came in at the right time and so did Hamilton. I think Williams are now massively disappointed with lack of pace in wet weather conditions. They have a very good and a slippery dry setup but nothing when it's raining. Sheesh! I was hoping to see both Williams up on the podium today but fate intervened. Otherwise, I think this was a great race.
    Last edited by auaq; 07-05-2015 at 04:14 PM.

My Cars
    TBD
    Brilliant race!!!

Kudos to Lewis and Merc for getting the stop right. Just before then Nico looked like he was about to pass Lewis @ 2 seconds a lap quicker.

NEVER thought Ferrari would make the podium this weekend.

Sucks for Williams, I think the race would have been different if they allowed Bottas through when he was really quick. They done goofed with that. They could have at least scored a podium IMO.

Utterly brilliant none the less.

My Cars
    '07 E92 335i
    Best race of the year. Congrats to Williams for looking like amateurs.

flickr
    BMW CCA #444326
    come see bought me

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    I don't think it would have made any difference if Bottas had past Massa as it seemed to me that the pace would have remained more or like the same.

My Cars
    '94 MX-6
    I've never seen a start like that. Massa looked like he had a JATO rocket strapped to his bumper...

I had a sinking feeling the Williams 1-2 would only last as far as the first round of pit stops.

So much of the race was luck... Still, it was good to see another team at least hang with the Mercs, even if they were doomed by crappy strategy calls. Not much of a chance of a follow-up, though—the Hungaroring is not a "Williams circuit."

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RidgeBack View Post
    Sucks for Williams, I think the race would have been different if they allowed Bottas through when he was really quick. They done goofed with that. They could have at least scored a podium IMO.
    Any ideas why Williams utterly falls apart in the rain? Case study: Japan 2014. Is it the drivers? The car? Both?

My Cars
    TBD
    Quote Originally Posted by BoldUlysses View Post
    I've never seen a start like that. Massa looked like he had a JATO rocket strapped to his bumper...

I had a sinking feeling the Williams 1-2 would only last as far as the first round of pit stops.

So much of the race was luck... Still, it was good to see another team at least hang with the Mercs, even if they were doomed by crappy strategy calls. Not much of a chance of a follow-up, though—the Hungaroring is not a "Williams circuit."

- - - Updated - - -

Any ideas why Williams utterly falls apart in the rain? Case study: Japan 2014. Is it the drivers? The car? Both?
    It's the downforce levels. They cannot properly heat or keep heat in the tires. The merc has a higher level of efficient downforce (basically downforce without drag) so they can heat the tires better. This can also result in over heating the tires too. The Williams chassis is known to be aerodynamically slick (low drag) with low downforce but when they try to put downforce on it it is really draggy - so they tend to run with less downforce. Most of the efficient downforce is generated by the floor.

The issue with this weekend was that none of the cars were configured for rain or the inter/wet tires. The inter tires raise the car's ride height (a little less than full wets) due to the depth of the tread. But they cannot adjust ride hide and therefore lose downforce generated by the floor (because of the extra height) thus making all the cars have a little less downforce which hurts the Williams even more with putting/keeping heat in the tires.
    Last edited by RidgeBack; 07-06-2015 at 12:07 AM.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Got to ask but was this 2015's first ever rainy event?

My Cars
    TBD
    IIRC we've had wet practice sessions and mixed quali but I don't think we've had a wet race.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Yeah, I do remember wet practices and wet quali but don't think we actually had a wet race.

My Cars
    E46M3,E36M3,E90,E23,66Mu
    This was the second race this season where the Williams lost the lead by Mercedes pitting before them. While watching this race I kept thinking that Williams had a chance as long as they pit before Mercedes and kept Lewis and Nico behind them. Williams could not let Mercedes pit before them and get that one lap with Lewis on new tires and Massa on old. The Mercedes were clearly faster and Williams could not allow themselves to be jumped in the pits. Once again, they waited until after Mercedes to pit. They lost the race right there. Williams needs to make the call to short pit next time rather than waiting for Mercedes to decide when to pit and then lose the race on the following lap while Mecerdes is stretching the gap on new tires and clear track while Williams is pacing the race on 20 lap tires. Williams needs to call their race rather than following Mercedes.
    Last edited by bigpuppy; 07-06-2015 at 12:44 PM.
    -Brian

-Varis-Hartge-Seibon-Umnitza-TRM--Mason Engineering-Zionsville-Mishimoto-Stewart-Conforti-BMW ///M/LTW

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast