Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cruise control will not come on

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    The CC module is looking for a valid ground on pin 18.

The module biases the line high

The clutch pedal switch is normally, NC, and breaks the circuit as soon as the pedal moves.

The brakelight bulbs act as a half ohm ballast to the ground sink. Low enough resistance that it appears to be nearly a ground to low current levels. But applying the brakes floods the circuit with 12V

So, clutch depressed, line floats high.
    Clutch engaged, bulbs pull line low
    Brake lights flood the circuit to high again.

LED bulbs are very high resistance. They will not sink the signal current. Many a person has fried the transmission in their '90's Ford because of the same circuit design being used to ransmission control.

You could rewire the clutch switch so that it goes to ground via the NC contacts of a small relay. Drive the relay from the brake light signal such that the contacts open when the brake lights are on.

/.randy

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    Excellent info. That's an interesting method for shutting off the cruise control.

I may well rig up a relay. That would still work if the incandescent bulbs were swapped back in. Win win.

My Cars
    1999 328iS manual lhd

did the clutch switch dove your cruise control?

Quote Originally Posted by WisM View Post
    Thanks for confirming the two functions are separate switches. No LEDs on my car.
    I'm hoping the replacement cc cutout switch fixes it. I have a couple of long drives I want to do. It would be nice to have the cc working for the just getting there part.

I have a similar problem, probably the same exact problem. Can you post what your final result was after replacing the switch?

My Cars
    Two Z3 Roadsters
    If you are going to change the Cruise control clutch switch please note that the early Z3's had a 2 wire switch and the later Z3's had a 3 wire Hall Effect switch. Order the right one for your car. You either have a look to see which one you need or go to www.RealOEM.com and put your VIN number in to search for parts for your particular car.

The most common cause of the Cruise Control not working is a faulty brake switch. There will be a "BLS/BTS plausibility" code logged in the DME.
    1999 2.8L Z3 Roadster,
    2000 3.0L Z3 Roadster,

There is only one thing more pleasurable than working on a Z3, that's driving it top down on a fine day.

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzz258 View Post
    If you are going to change the Cruise control clutch switch please note that the early Z3's had a 2 wire switch and the later Z3's had a 3 wire Hall Effect switch. Order the right one for your car. You either have a look to see which one you need or go to www.RealOEM.com and put your VIN number in to search for parts for your particular car.

The most common cause of the Cruise Control not working is a faulty brake switch. There will be a "BLS/BTS plausibility" code logged in the DME.
    I wonder if the different switches have any effect on LED brake lights?
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by amancuso View Post
    I wonder if the different switches have any effect on LED brake lights?
    Cant imagine so. LEDs trip the cruise control because of a physical issue - the bulbs themselves dont have the proper resistance. This, to the car, means the brake light circuit is broken, and the cruise wont work

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12