Thread: Rear Sunshade Stuck Open

My Cars
    1993 740i

Rear Sunshade Stuck Open

I retrofitted a rear electric sunshade into my car about a year ago using all factory parts/wiring, performed Shogun's motor upgrade and it has worked flawlessly...until yesterday.

It's now stuck in the 'up' position (couldn't be stuck in the 'down' position, that would be too convenient, wouldn't it?). When I press the switch I get nothing. No motor running, nothing.

I have done the following so far:

1. Checked Fuse 18
    2. Checked Fuse 32 (I 'think' this is the one I added when I retrofitted the shade)
    3. Checked the connector at the switch

I did notice that the switch is only half illuminated (the 'up' side, if that makes any difference).

So far, no luck. Does anyone have any suggestions before I start tearing out the back seat/parcel shelf??

Cheers.
    '93 740i - Mine
    '13 Range Rover Sport - Hers
    '08 Land Rover LR2 - Hers
    '96 328i - Son's
    '97 328ic - Daughter's
    '87 944 Turbo - Mistress
    '74 Alfa Romeo Spider - Italian Mistress
    Northern Colorado, USA

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    I can think about 2 probs:
    1 the amps is too high and the control module switches off. Loosen the screws of the motor and reset it in the frame, there are slotted holes where you can adjust it. The control module switches off with higher amps.
    Or the control module is broken, here some info http://www.e32-schrauber.de/bmw/s-heckrollo.htm

translate this:
    Elektr. Sonnenrollo geht nur in einer Richtung - Steuergeraet
    Sollte bei dem elektrisch betriebenen Sonnenrollo an der Heckscheibe einmal der Fehler auftauchen, dass das Rollo sich nur noch in einer Richtung bewegen laesst, kann das an dem Steuergeraet liegen. An dem Steuergeraet befinden sich zwei Buchsen; einmal fuer den Motor (PIN 1 und 2) und einmal fuer die Spannungsversorgung (PIN 5) und die Steuerimpulse 12 Volt (PIN 1 und 2). PIN 3 ist Masse. Das Steuergeraet enthaelt zwei Hochlastrelais zum Umpolen der Motorspannung. Dadurch laeuft der Motor sowohl links als auch rechtsherum. Abgeschaltet wird der Motor ueber eine vorgegebene Zeit.
    Der Fehler bei dem entsprechenden Modul war, dass es zwar auf, aber nicht mehr zu fuhr. Eines der Relais hatte eine kalte Loetstelle. Die Loetstelle von dem Schutzlack befreien und sauber nachloeten. Zum Testen kann man anstelle des Motors auch eine 10 Watt Birne mit Pruefklemmen anschliessen.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1993 740i
    Thanks, as always, Shogun, I will work on it this weekend and report back.
    '93 740i - Mine
    '96 328i - Son's
    '97 328ic - Daughter's
    '87 944 Turbo - Mistress
    Northern Colorado, USA

My Cars
    1996 BMW 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    I can think about 2 probs:
    1 the amps is too high and the control module switches off. Loosen the screws of the motor and reset it in the frame, there are slotted holes where you can adjust it.
    Where are these slotted holes you speak of? Just wondering.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Where the motor with gear is mounted onto the sunshade mechanism, here are some pics from the E38 sunshade http://www.csparks.com/bmw/SunScreen/index.xhtml
    Not clearly seen here http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...hings-for-sale

Here I found a pic http://www.3d-atelier.com/11bmw/Heckrollo-15von21.jpg from here http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-made-of-steel

Maybe Greg can make a pic of that location.

Also read post #12, adamur had the same problem and I told him to check the motor mounting and grease http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...3#post28637903
    Last edited by shogun; 06-28-2015 at 03:04 AM.

My Cars
    1993 740i
    Success! I wish I could report what the actual fix was, but after randomly pushing the button for the past couple of weeks the shade magically went down today, which was shortly followed by a yell of exhalation on my part, lol.

I've been in the middle of an epic thrash on my 944 turbo this past week (New turbo, timing and balance belts and water pump) and so at this point I'm just very happy that the shade has healed itself.

I'm guessing that the issue was in fact a cold solder joint on the shade controller since it has 'healed' itself. At some point in the next couple of weeks I will dig into it and report back.
    '93 740i - Mine
    '96 328i - Son's
    '97 328ic - Daughter's
    '87 944 Turbo - Mistress
    Northern Colorado, USA

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    If still a problem, it might be some tension on the linkages caused by temperature changes. adamnur just recently posted in the E31 forum:
    "Just did this myself with the new gear and brass bushing. You do need to be fairly exact when drilling out the hole for the bushing. I found my motor was still having issues getting the blind past the 2/3 point, so I took it out, loosened and refit the aluminum bars, lightly greased the rails and it moved much more freely then. Mine had been broken for quite some time even from the previous owner so it probably seized up slightly"

My Cars
    1993 740i
    Thanks Shogun. At the moment I'm not brave enough to try putting it back up (and then, more importantly, down). I suspect it's an electrical issue because when it operates it seems to work fine mechanically, no binding or odd noises and it goes all the way up and down when it operates.

More to come, is there anything more fun that intermittent electrical issues?
    '93 740i - Mine
    '96 328i - Son's
    '97 328ic - Daughter's
    '87 944 Turbo - Mistress
    Northern Colorado, USA

My Cars
    1992 750il / 1991 560 SE
    My shade is dead too. Last on my list sorta thing though. But its has no signs of life at all. At the moment I am looking at the switch as being an issue. I wish the shade hardware was easier to access.

My Cars
    735iL - 1989
    I would check out Page 5146-00 of the 93 ETM.

Maybe the S110 Sun Blind Switch is intermittent? It is more accessible for testing than the A82 Sun Blind Control Module, which is at the back of the rear window shelf. As you say, if the drive runs smoothly when it runs, then the switch or module is suspect.