Thread: New Radiator?

My Cars
    1997 740IL

New Radiator?

Tonight my radiator hose nipple broke off and I lost all my coolant on the highway. Does this mean a new radiator? Can it be repaired (I'm guessing not).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott
    97 740IL

My Cars
    2001 740iL Silver/Grey
    Our radiator hoses have fitted plastic ends with clips that hold them in place. What year and model is your car?

My Cars
    E38 E36
    It does not matter what year your car is, nor does it matter if the connections are done with bendix clamps or the face-lift quick disconnect type clamps, the break is fatal and you need a new radiator.
    "Let me tell you what Melba Toast is packin' right here, alright. We got 3:15 open differential with an M5 sway-bar outback, a 4.4 liter V-8 with Bosch sequential fuel injection, four cams, 32 valves, VANOS units using Beisan Systems seals, 10 to 1 pistons, a conservative 282 macht schnell horsepower, all planted to the earth with AC Schnitzer Type II Racing Wheels and Michelin PS2s at all four corners, an M5 rear sway-bar outback, and a Strong-Strut tower brace up front. We're talkin' some Deutschland muscle."

My Cars
    E31, E65, F01
    New radiator. It's that simple.

My Cars
    01 740il, 01 740i
    You can buy those online and change it out, I actually had a slow leak from the top of my radiator but could never find where it was coming from, I decided to change the nipple but it turned out i had a small crack in the radiator, all you do is pull it straight up with pliers

My Cars
    E38 E36
    His upper radiator neck has snapped off, this is not the vent hose nipple.

Quote Originally Posted by bimmerfreak187 View Post
    You can buy those online and change it out, I actually had a slow leak from the top of my radiator but could never find where it was coming from, I decided to change the nipple but it turned out i had a small crack in the radiator, all you do is pull it straight up with pliers
    "Let me tell you what Melba Toast is packin' right here, alright. We got 3:15 open differential with an M5 sway-bar outback, a 4.4 liter V-8 with Bosch sequential fuel injection, four cams, 32 valves, VANOS units using Beisan Systems seals, 10 to 1 pistons, a conservative 282 macht schnell horsepower, all planted to the earth with AC Schnitzer Type II Racing Wheels and Michelin PS2s at all four corners, an M5 rear sway-bar outback, and a Strong-Strut tower brace up front. We're talkin' some Deutschland muscle."

My Cars
    '93 740il '84 633Csi
    Quote Originally Posted by sawmkw View Post
    Tonight my radiator hose nipple broke off and I lost all my coolant on the highway. Does this mean a new radiator? Can it be repaired (I'm guessing not).
    If you are really, really good with a brazing torch and some silver solder, you can fix it. But there is likely to be more corrosion in the system. But if you want the best:
    http://www.wizardcooling.com/BMW-s/1822.htm

If you want OEM, beware of the Behr Value line of rads compared with the better ones that are closer to oem standards.

--Ken

My Cars
    E38 E36
    Since the radiator is made of plastic, you better be better that "good" ... you better be God.

Quote Originally Posted by Sansouci View Post
    If you are really, really good with a brazing torch and some silver solder, you can fix it. But there is likely to be more corrosion in the system. But if you want the best:
    http://www.wizardcooling.com/BMW-s/1822.htm

If you want OEM, beware of the Behr Value line of rads compared with the better ones that are closer to oem standards.

--Ken

My Cars
    01 Dinan 740iS, 97 318ti
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt C View Post
    Since the radiator is made of plastic, you better be better that "good" ... you better be God.
    +1 Haven't seen anyone be able to braze plastic.

My Cars
    00 E38 750IL 92 E31 850
    Quote Originally Posted by 740iSport303 View Post
    +1 Haven't seen anyone be able to braze plastic.
    +1 = god.....lol
    92 Dinan Stage III 850 Twin Turbo (1 of 4)
    625 Hp on 93 pump gas @ 14 psi 660 ft lbs torque

My Cars
    E38 M-Sport & Jaguar XK
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerfreak187 View Post
    Believe it or not...I am doing this repair this week. I ordered a couple new nipples. I cannot quite figure out where my radiator leak is. So, I will start with this part and see what happens. If it is the radiator, that is an easy replacement. Oddly, the fibrous-material shroud is coming apart where the clips attach it to the radiator. Grr.