Thread: Couple Quick HPDE Brake Pad Questions

My Cars
    Estoril M3/4/5, E46 M3

Question Couple Quick HPDE Brake Pad Questions

Long story short, I've got a pair of front PFC 08s or front PFC Z-Rated pads that I want to swap onto my otherwise stock E46 M3 for an upcoming HPDE. In the past, I've overcooked the OEM pads so I know I need something stronger but I'm not sure which pad I want to use.

First, will running 08s up front and OEM pads in the rear create too much of a brake bias toward the front of the car to be safe?

Second, will the 08s overpower my Bridgestone RE050A's?

thanks!
    2003.5 BMW M3 Coupe (Daily Driver) | Titanium Silver | Black Nappa Leather | 6MT | Cold Weather Package | Premium Package | Navigation | Harmon Kardon | Matte Black Grills | Dice iPod Integration

1998 M3 Sedan (Track Car) | Estoril Blue on Dove Gray | 5MT | Dinan Cold Air Intake and Stage 2 ECU | Stromung Catback | TC Kline Double Adjustable Coilover Kit | APEX ARC 8 | Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec | PFC 08 Brake Pads | Cobra Suzuka GT Seat | Schroth Quick Fit Harnesses | Illuminated ZHP Shift Knob

My Cars
    95 E36 325i sedan
    Pfc08s stop on a dime and on my e36 325i can overpower my SLICKS at times. Just means finding the right pedal pressure. Also, with oem pads in the rear you might get tail happy under braking.

My Cars
    '99 M3/'93 LMR-3
    Quote Originally Posted by 2005 330iZHP View Post
    Long story short, I've got a pair of front PFC 08s or front PFC Z-Rated pads that I want to swap onto my otherwise stock E46 M3 for an upcoming HPDE. In the past, I've overcooked the OEM pads so I know I need something stronger but I'm not sure which pad I want to use.
    If it's for track and you have both at your disposal, 08 would be the easy choice. PF Z-Rated pads are great high-performance street pads that do well in autocross and can stand up to a few laps on-track use, but your sessions will be much more consistent with the 08s on there.

First, will running 08s up front and OEM pads in the rear create too much of a brake bias toward the front of the car to be safe?
    Safe vs. unsafe is a tough question, but I'd definitely say that it would be suboptimal. I'm a big fan of equal pads front and rear, but the race pads in front coupled with OEM pads in the rear would be an even further bias shift than running different race compounds on both axles, obviously.

Second, will the 08s overpower my Bridgestone RE050A's?
    As MCrutchfield stated, you just need to change your modulation technique. The 08s are great pads, but they can work fine with good street tires. We use the 08s with 200 treadwear-rated street tires (and no ABS) on the WRL team I'm a part of, and we're very happy with the combo.

Jonathan
    BimmerWorld
    Race Proven Performance
    www.bimmerworld.com
    www.bimmerworldracing.com

My Cars
    M3
    I used the PFC Z pads on my otherwise stock E46 M3 at Lime Rock and they overheated and glazed half way through the 1st session. It was my first time learning the track too so I was probably driving 8/10ths. On subsequent sessions my pedal felt a lot softer and while I still had adequate braking force I didn't trust them which limited my fun.

I'm with the others that say get a dedicated pad.

Also - all brakes can overpower the tire. The primary difference between track and street pads is the track pads can stand up to the heat of the track.

My Cars
    SpecE30, Mini Cooper JCW
    The OEM pads won't cause tailhappy behavior under braking, once they get hot, they just won't do much braking. Our cars are very front biased. So much so that putting weak pads in the rear isn't going to make an already unbalanced situation much worse.

My suggestion would be just to check your rear pads after each session. OEM pads don't last long when you're doing fast laps. Sure, the rear brakes don't do as much so that rear pads will last longer, but the rear rotors also don't get much cooling so that can be tough on rear pads.

My Cars
    99 M3, 16' x35d, 09 128i
    Are the pfc08's OK for an occasional autoX day?

My Cars
    95m3/97m345/powerstroke
    Quote Originally Posted by KnudsonsM3 View Post

They work ok, but they don't have great bite until warmed up. I swap just the fronts to Z rated's for autocross.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by KnudsonsM3 View Post
    During track season, I run PFC08's full time on my car including casual drivs to the grocery store. They stop fine cold. Sure, better hot, but fine cold. Other than the annoying squealing that is.

My Cars
    99 M3, 16' x35d, 09 128i
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat533i View Post
    They work ok, but they don't have great bite until warmed up. I swap just the fronts to Z rated's for autocross.
    Good idea, thanks. I have left over porterfields I can swap in.

Quote Originally Posted by aeronaut View Post
    During track season, I run PFC08's full time on my car including casual drivs to the grocery store. They stop fine cold. Sure, better hot, but fine cold. Other than the annoying squealing that is.
    I also have PCF08, love them. My car is only active during track season so I'll keep the pads on unless I go to an autox.

Too bad autox up in PNW is a joke.

My Cars
    Estoril M3/4/5, E46 M3
    I ended up putting on the 08s last night (my first time learning to change brake pads, haha), and did notice while I was bedding them in that I will need to be more careful while braking as the ABS seems to engage earlier with brake pedal movement compared to the stock pads. I did also notice that they worked much better with heat. Like others have said, they're not terrible when cold but they do grab better as you warm them up.
    2003.5 BMW M3 Coupe (Daily Driver) | Titanium Silver | Black Nappa Leather | 6MT | Cold Weather Package | Premium Package | Navigation | Harmon Kardon | Matte Black Grills | Dice iPod Integration

1998 M3 Sedan (Track Car) | Estoril Blue on Dove Gray | 5MT | Dinan Cold Air Intake and Stage 2 ECU | Stromung Catback | TC Kline Double Adjustable Coilover Kit | APEX ARC 8 | Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec | PFC 08 Brake Pads | Cobra Suzuka GT Seat | Schroth Quick Fit Harnesses | Illuminated ZHP Shift Knob