Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why are roll cages so expensive?

My Cars
    #199 IP BMWCCA
    LABOR. A LONG LONG time ago, I used to think the same. It takes LOADS of time to measure, notch and then have MULTIPLE notches that all fit together in ONE node.

You can go on the cheap and have bars that terminate inches away from one another, but not me.
    Eric WONGer
    2012 NASA Nationals GTS3 First Loser
    EX-#121 IP/GTS3 M3 SOLD
    Now-#121 GTS3 E46 M3

My Cars
    99 M3, 01 F350
    Quote Originally Posted by magnetic1 View Post
    ...notch and then have MULTIPLE notches that all fit together in ONE node. You can go on the cheap and have bars that terminate inches away from one another, but not me.
    THIS THIS THIS... people have no idea how difficult this is, and how many cages are built that are WRONG because of this
    "Torque is like cowbell... you can never have too much." - Michael Cervi

My Cars
    1990 E30, 2006 Audi A3
    Quote Originally Posted by 99MPower View Post
    THIS THIS THIS... people have no idea how difficult this is, and how many cages are built that are WRONG because of this
    Ditto, one of the hardest practices I've designed for and fabricated.

Here's some fitting I've done in the past, personally, and tube fitting is an art if you are doing it all by hand. I am lucky enough to have access to tools that allowed me to design these in 3D space, and I made my own CNC cutting equipment to profile these. Why? It was quicker to design a machine that would cut these, than to try to cut 60+ individually coped/fish mouthed tubes by hand, no joke. Even with machine cut tubes, some fitting was required. The second picture is 8 tubes coming together into a single node. FML. BTW, the few tubes that look like they are not matched up, they are floating and turned a bit, they did actually get within less than a 1mm gap all the way around.
    So if you want to spend time at the track and have your cojones all together by the end of a slip up on the track, give the money to the guys that do this well, unfortunately it's the price to pay to have speedy fun in a safe way.
    Lastly... in case the OP didn't figure this out before, most (not all...) of the products and items out there, material cost is almost the smallest % of what makes up the price.

Quote Originally Posted by PflaumerBMW View Post
    Ditto, one of the hardest practices I've designed for and fabricated.

Here's some fitting I've done in the past, personally, and tube fitting is an art if you are doing it all by hand. I am lucky enough to have access to tools that allowed me to design these in 3D space, and I made my own CNC cutting equipment to profile these. Why? It was quicker to design a machine that would cut these, than to try to cut 60+ individually coped/fish mouthed tubes by hand, no joke. Even with machine cut tubes, some fitting was required. The second picture is 8 tubes coming together into a single node. FML. BTW, the few tubes that look like they are not matched up, they are floating and turned a bit, they did actually get within less than a 1mm gap all the way around.
    So if you want to spend time at the track and have your cojones all together by the end of a slip up on the track, give the money to the guys that do this well, unfortunately it's the price to pay to have speedy fun in a safe way.
    Lastly... in case the OP didn't figure this out before, most (not all...) of the products and items out there, material cost is almost the smallest % of what makes up the price.

nice first post:

My Cars
    1997 328i Sport
    Bringing this back for a question after reading this post. In the pic with the Mustang upside down and the backing plates and roll bar tubing sticking through the floor board causing the roof to crush in, what was done wrong with the install of that bolt in cage to cause that to happen? Just want to know as I plan to install a bolt in 4 point sometime in the near future and want to be sure to avoid this. Thanks!
    Mike
    1997 328i Sport, 5 speed
    2013 X5

My Cars
    04 M3, 02 E39, 01 46 M3T
    Quote Originally Posted by HandsomeMike View Post
    Bringing this back for a question after reading this post. In the pic with the Mustang upside down and the backing plates and roll bar tubing sticking through the floor board causing the roof to crush in, what was done wrong with the install of that bolt in cage to cause that to happen? Just want to know as I plan to install a bolt in 4 point sometime in the near future and want to be sure to avoid this. Thanks!
    Over the years, this has been discussed. IIRC, the owner admitted to allowing a less than perfect installation. ANYONE who installs custom cages should know how to do so properly. As for "bolt in" 4 and 6 point cages, you would be well served discussing this well know installers or vendors. I chose a Kirk 4 point (for various reasons) but it is for Timer Trials and track day events, not "real" racing.

So, the question is --- what will you be doing with your car?

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    When you install them, you have to make sure the load is spread a certain amount. If the feet on the Kirk are 3x4 inches, for example, you should install 4x6” plates underneath the feet. You also sandwich the chassis by having a plate inside the car and a plate outside the car. I installed a Kirk in my 99 M3. Mine is just 4 point mounting with a cross bar in the main hoop. I have bolt in door bars but have not installed them.

A proper cage that is welded into the chassis is much better, but costs a lot more and takes a lot longer to install.

My Cars
    S54 E36
    I have a rollbar in my car that's a four point. The plates are bolted through the body and (I learned this later) the fact that the plate ends are pointed corners are a weaker design, as they help cut the body under load (be it static or shock) so you want rounded edges for the plates.

Some pictures of my rollbar from Ben Sipson in Florida from when I got it in 2016:

My Cars
    04 M3, 02 E39, 01 46 M3T
    I actually assumed that the sharp edges could NOT be good --- and rounded the ones on the inside of the car.

My Cars
    '95 M3 IP #595, '07 Z4MC
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    When you install them, you have to make sure the load is spread a certain amount. If the feet on the Kirk are 3x4 inches, for example, you should install 4x6” plates underneath the feet. You also sandwich the chassis by having a plate inside the car and a plate outside the car.
    Good advice that anyone installing a bolt in cage should heed. Especially in an E36. The floor sheet metal is very thin and the fenders not much better. Distribute the load as much as you can. At least double the area as stated above. Weld in cages are attached to the side sills that are structural. Never the floor.

My Cars
    2017 Raptor 97 M3 02 M3
    I bought a kirk racing bolt in kit for m3 e36 after seeing an old pic of an e36 after a rollover.

2012-11-04_16-34-59_629.jpg2012-11-04_16-35-17_210.jpg

My Cars
    1997 328i Sport
    Snaponbob - I do track days and SCCA TT. From what I've read and what I've seen on here I am pretty sure Kirk 4pt roll bar will be the way I go.

Golgo - Great pics and info!

I am two years into HPDE and TT and my car is basically done being setup for the classes I plan to do with various groups, so I want to put my focus on safety now. Roll bar, seat, harnesses, etc. Sounds a little backwards to do safety last, but it's my current focus. Even with a stock E36 M52, the speed is still enough to matter.

Thank you all!
    Mike
    1997 328i Sport, 5 speed
    2013 X5

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Ben Sipson bar here. He will greyhound your bar to you and you can paint yourself or have someone powder coat.
    Last edited by bimmerboy318; 01-23-2022 at 02:36 PM.

My Cars
    95 M3
    I have a bolt in 4 point auto power with harness bar - for e36 sedan for sale. However I’m in alberta Canada…hit me up if you can figure a reasonable cost way to ship it wherever.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12