Thread: Need advice for 540 quad exhaust!

My Cars
    2002 BMW E39 540i/6spd

Need advice for 540 quad exhaust!

The tips are vibrant 3.5", measuring the cut out on the m-tech diffuser it seems as though i'm going to need to trim half an inch to get them to fit. Also, does anyone have any experience or a guide on how you did the cut out on the passenger side? Tools/measurements etc? This will be the 3rd time messing with my exhaust.. From changing the muffler... To taking out the y-res.. Now putting it back in to run quad exhaust straight pipe from the res (or muffler delete lol). I will keep this thread updated on the route I take in dealing with the spare tire well and how the whole thing goes.

My Cars
    97 E39 540/6
    I'd take some cardboard or paper and trace the current cut out, take a few measurements of the exact location on where it is relative to the bumper, then just flip the paper over and place it on the other side exactly, trace and cut. After the line has been drawn, cut out the bulk of it any way you can- then slowly dremel up to the line for clean looking cut. That's just what I would do if I had to cut, however there are diffusers out there already with the supplied two holes. But as you've mentioned, you're going to need to cut the original side anyways.

"Life is a numbers game. Increase the numbers, win the game"

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    I'm not sure if this is possible as I think you will have to reposition/relocate the battery to a different place and cut and remove the spare wheel area. On the M5 the battery is located where the spare tire would be and they don't have a spare wheel. I think that's how BMW managed to have the dual exhausts. Unless if you're going like straight pipes or something different where you can circumvent around the battery and the wheel location then it's possible I guess.

- - - Updated - - -

I know that's how Brandon managed to have or install dual exhausts on his touring.

My Cars
    97 E39 540/6
    Quote Originally Posted by auaq View Post
    I'm not sure if this is possible as I think you will have to reposition/relocate the battery to a different place and cut and remove the spare wheel area. On the M5 the battery is located where the spare tire would be and they don't have a spare wheel. I think that's how BMW managed to have the dual exhausts. Unless if you're going like straight pipes or something different where you can circumvent around the battery and the wheel location then it's possible I guess.

- - - Updated - - -

I know that's how Brandon managed to have or install dual exhausts on his touring.

He'll definitely have to do that. He mentioned he'd keep us updated on which direction he plans on taking when it comes to the spare wheel well. I'm curious as well, seeing as how this is something I too would like to get done in the future.

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    I've seen some people route the second exhaust pipe while keeping the spare tire well, by only cutting into the spare tire well slightly. I could never give up having a spare tire just for quad pipes.
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    2000 540i SC'd | 2001 M5
    I have a full dual exhaust system. I have mufflers in the back as normal. The battery is in the same position. The spare tire well had to be cut into and the spare tire just sits in the trunk now.
    Sold: 2000-BMW-E39-540i/Biarritz-Blue/Gray-Interior/DSP Sound.
    Engine/Drivetrain: VF-Engineering (Vortech V3 Si-Trim, 3.25''/6'' Pulleys/Tial QRJ -1.5PSI/Bosch Green Giants),Manifold,Magnaflow 16858 (Dual Exhaust/X-Pipe),High-Flow Cats/S62 Clutch & Plate/AEM 320 Fuel Pump/TTFS-Tune/AEM Wideband/Boost Failsafe/E60 SSK/ZHP Knob/CDV Delete.
    Handling: ECSTuning Cup Kit (Koni Yellow/H&R 50464)/BF-Goodrich Comp-2 A/S.
    Cosmetic: Front & Rear M-Tech Bumpers/Finned Rear Diffuser/Piano Black Interior Trim/Style 37's.

Current: 2001-BMW-E39-M5/Carbon-Black/Silverstone-Interior/Sport Seats/Dinan Exhaust

YouTube Channel
    Instagram
    Twitter

My Cars
    97 E39 540/6
    The E39's have a big boot. A tire fits in there nicely with room to spare. I see a lot of M5 guys doing this, strapping the tire down with the net. I wouldn't hesitate to do it either. Where did you get your tire well cut MCGNMS? I'm curious where people go and who they ask. I guess I'm lucky, here in SD there are a ton of custom shops that do their own fab work.

My Cars
    2000 540i SC'd | 2001 M5
    I did all the cutting myself and use small spot welds before sealing everything up properly. Here are a few photos:

Engine/Drivetrain: VF-Engineering (Vortech V3 Si-Trim, 3.25''/6'' Pulleys/Tial QRJ -1.5PSI/Bosch Green Giants),Manifold,Magnaflow 16858 (Dual Exhaust/X-Pipe),High-Flow Cats/S62 Clutch & Plate/AEM 320 Fuel Pump/TTFS-Tune/AEM Wideband/Boost Failsafe/E60 SSK/ZHP Knob/CDV Delete.
    Cosmetic: Front & Rear M-Tech Bumpers/Finned Rear Diffuser/Piano Black Interior Trim/Style 37's.

Current: 2001-BMW-E39-M5/Carbon-Black/Silverstone-Interior/Sport Seats/Dinan Exhaust

YouTube Channel
    Instagram
    Twitter

My Cars
    2002 BMW E39 540i/6spd
    Quote Originally Posted by Only1Balto View Post
    I'd take some cardboard or paper and trace the current cut out, take a few measurements of the exact location on where it is relative to the bumper, then just flip the paper over and place it on the other side exactly, trace and cut. After the line has been drawn, cut out the bulk of it any way you can- then slowly dremel up to the line for clean looking cut. That's just what I would do if I had to cut, however there are diffusers out there already with the supplied two holes. But as you've mentioned, you're going to need to cut the original side anyways.
    appreciate the advice! And yea if I wasn't cutting the original side more I would go for an m5 diffuser with the dual outlets. Going to be doing the outlining for the cut tomorrow.

My Cars
    2002 BMW E39 540i/6spd
    Quote Originally Posted by auaq View Post
    I'm not sure if this is possible as I think you will have to reposition/relocate the battery to a different place and cut and remove the spare wheel area. On the M5 the battery is located where the spare tire would be and they don't have a spare wheel. I think that's how BMW managed to have the dual exhausts. Unless if you're going like straight pipes or something different where you can circumvent around the battery and the wheel location then it's possible I guess. - - - Updated - - - I know that's how Brandon managed to have or install dual exhausts on his touring.
    I am going to be going with straight pipes cat back. Whichever route I take the spare wheel has to stay. My body shop/mechanic said he will be able to make a small cut for a channel near the diffuser to make room and have to seal and weld it all shut from inside the trunk. Wanted to bash in the area but I don't want to stress the frame as I would need it up at least 4inches so the pipe sits right.

My Cars
    2002 BMW E39 540i/6spd
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyzabolotny View Post
    I've seen some people route the second exhaust pipe while keeping the spare tire well, by only cutting into the spare tire well slightly. I could never give up having a spare tire just for quad pipes.
    Yes going to go a similar route, me neither I wouldn't be able to give it up lol. Because i'm just going to run a straight pipe to tips I won't be needing to cut much to fit it under there.

My Cars
    2002 BMW E39 540i/6spd
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgnms View Post
    I did all the cutting myself and use small spot welds before sealing everything up properly. Here are a few photos:
    nice job and set up! Will keep this updated with the progress, looking into a supersprint x pipe to replace section 2 of the exhaust.

My Cars
    F10 N52
    mcgmns, you used magnaflow round mufflers as resonators in place of the y res? What are the dimensions on those? Any drone?

My Cars
    2000 540i SC'd | 2001 M5
    I actually used a complete system called a 16858. It comes with a X-Pipe that has built in resonators. There is no drone, but it does have a very deep/bassy sound to it from outside. It sounds very different from other exhausts I have heard. It is also fairly quiet compared to other exhausts.

Here is a link to it with specs.

YouTube Channel
    Instagram
    Twitter

My Cars
    2001 540i 6MT, 05 Armada
    Legitimate question here.... What is the benefit of a dual-exhaust setup after an X-pipe? Wouldn't a larger, single-pipe exhaust be more efficient, with much less weight? Same volume of exhaust gas, but lest surface area of pipe?

I'm used to turbo cars, where you just need to dump all the gas after the turbo, so dual exhaust was never practical.

Either way, the DIY work looks pretty great. Good on you for taking up that project. I bet it sounds great.