Thread: Can you replace just the fog light lens? Or need to replace the whole assembly?

My Cars
    '97 328i '73 Porsche

Can you replace just the fog light lens? Or need to replace the whole assembly?

Can you replace just the fog light lens? Or need to replace the whole assembly? I broke the right side lens on my 97 328i and I would like to replace just the glass, as the rest of the assembly is fine. Is that possible? Or do I have to replace the whole assembly (part # 3 in the link below). Thanks!

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=63_0270
    Alpine White '97 328i 5 speed: S50 cams, M50 Manifold, TMS Cam/Intake Specific Software, UUC Stage II Clutch Kit, EVO 3 Short Shift Kit with DSSR, CAI, Cat-Back, ASC, Fan & CDV Delete, All M3 Stock Suspension & Brakes, 3.23 LSD, 17" DS II's, Stainless Steel Brake Lines & Clutch Line, Depos Elipsoids & M3 mirrors

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    Nobody sells the glass separately ... and it is glued onto the housing, so you'd have to bake it, cut the glue, then glue and seal again ...

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328i
    I attempted this and replaced it with plexi-glass. It was easy enough to do since one of the glass covers simply fell off. After driving with it on for a few minutes it melted the plexi-glass.

New glass ones are cheap.

My Cars
    '97 328i '73 Porsche
    Thanks for the info. You can find cheap aftermarket fog lights, but I want to keep it factory. I just want to replace the right fog light with an OEM one, so it looks the same as the other. However, the cheapest new OEM fog light that I have found is $75.00 plus tax and shipping. I posted a WTB thread in the classified section, so hopefully someone can help me out with a good used OEM light. Thanks again!
    Alpine White '97 328i 5 speed: S50 cams, M50 Manifold, TMS Cam/Intake Specific Software, UUC Stage II Clutch Kit, EVO 3 Short Shift Kit with DSSR, CAI, Cat-Back, ASC, Fan & CDV Delete, All M3 Stock Suspension & Brakes, 3.23 LSD, 17" DS II's, Stainless Steel Brake Lines & Clutch Line, Depos Elipsoids & M3 mirrors

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    Buy used if you have to, but skip Chinese aftermarket garbage. I bought a set recently on Amazon. Went to snap it in the bracket and literally the pressure of the palm of my hand snapping it into the clip cracked the glass. Thinner than paper ... I've snapped in and taken OEM fogs out dozens of times without issue. Thankfully I was able to return them and ... go back to my fog delete blanks until I find a good DS OEM fog.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by slocar View Post
    Buy used if you have to, but skip Chinese aftermarket garbage. I bought a set recently on Amazon. Went to snap it in the bracket and literally the pressure of the palm of my hand snapping it into the clip cracked the glass. Thinner than paper ... I've snapped in and taken OEM fogs out dozens of times without issue. Thankfully I was able to return them and ... go back to my fog delete blanks until I find a good DS OEM fog.
    Youre just too strong man

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    http://maxoxygencrossfit.com/wp-cont...n-and-jerk.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by rajicase View Post
    Youre just too strong man

My Cars
    1999 M3
    I purchased some POS chinese fog lights too and they both got busted out by normal freeway pebbles within a few weeks of installing them. Junk.
    When you step on the brakes, your life is in your foot's hands.

My Cars
    1995 BMW E36
    You can buy the glass, it's available at ebay and you can buy either side. He sells glasses for E30 and E36 fog lights.

My Cars
    '97 328i '73 Porsche
    Quote Originally Posted by octafiantos View Post
    You can buy the glass, it's available at ebay and you can buy either side. He sells glasses for E30 and E36 fog lights.
    I saw that too! And it is only like $15 shipped. What kind of glue would I use to glue the new glass to the old assembly?

My Cars
    1995 BMW E36
    I am using plastic sealer, same I use for fish tank. Bought lens for my friend's E30 years ago and quality is fair, quite clear. Glue it and I let it dry for one sunny day. I believe it's still working fine now.

Now need same for my E36. My fog lights looked so dirty, signs of leak and dirty water enter. Decided to remove and dissamble all parts, put it on a towel on a flat surface before wash the glass. And suddenly..., left side glass start emitting cracking sound *tears*

It's around $25 to Indonesia, so I just bought abs plastic fog light covers from ebay. It's from Latvian seller. Previously I also bought yellow lens fog lights, China made. Glass quality is fair but plastic quality is crap lol. Maybe someday I'll install it using original Hella bracket.

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    You guys inspired me ... i just ordered a used left Hella foglight so that I can once again have them

My Cars
    '97 328i '73 Porsche
    As a follow up, I was able to get a good guy deal on a used factory fog light assembly from forum member 66 6. Thanks Greg! It looks and works great! After I changed out the assembly, I started messing with my original broken fog light, to see if I could get all of the glass removed. I broke the plastic housing in the process. I'm glad that I went ahead a got a good used part. If I were to try to remove the glass on another fog light, I would probably use a heat gun (gently, not too much or you might melt the plastic) to soften up the glue, to help prevent breaking the plastic while prying the glass out. Thanks again everyone and hope this helps!

My Cars
    96 E36 Vert 03 E39 M5
    We used to take Starion tail lights apart by putting them in a toaster oven @ 250 degrees, then using a wide putty knife [and silicone heat resistant gloves] to work the glass off. The glue gets soft but once you heat it up you can carefully work it off. Contractor glue or liquid nails can be used to reseal.

My Cars
    95' 325I 6 Spd, 06' Z4MR
    Quote Originally Posted by BMW1999m3 View Post
    I purchased some POS chinese fog lights too and they both got busted out by normal freeway pebbles within a few weeks of installing them. Junk.
    I did the same thing, but I put Lamin-x on them and they hold up to abuse just fine