Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: Pioneer M-Bus head unit interchange questions

My Cars
    TBD

Pioneer M-Bus head unit interchange questions

I'm looking in to what CD changers are compatible with Pioneer M-bus head units and I'm finding some conflicting info.

The older pioneer head units and cd changer both have a round 13 pin DIN connector just like the Range Rovers of the very early 90s.

The "newer" CD changers have a different style round plug at the head unit, and a rectangular plug for the CD changer similar to what Land Rover used in the mid 90

There are companies that make "hybrid" cables that are identical to what Land Rover was using in the mid 90s with the early style 13pin DIN head unit and the rectangular CD changer side.

Does this mean that with the correct cable an early KE83zbm can control a 740il changer? And could a 740il head unit control a CDX-M30?

This site (http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...CD-Changer.htm) suggests that should work, but it also says an Alpine CM5901 can control a Pioneer CD changer with the correct cable adapter. I've seen these cable adapters and there is nothing altering the logic between the two, and everything I've read outside of BMW forums makes it sound like an Alpine will never talk to a Pioneer changer and vice versa.

I guess what I'm looking for, if there were an M-bus aux adapter out there, would it work with the Alpines(5901,5903L) and the Pioneer(KE83,KE91,KE93, and whatever the 740il has)?

Stereoinstaller1 is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    All of them!
    I installed roughly 125 CDX-M30s on stock decks in E30, E32, E34 and even an E31.

Never once have I tried using a Pioneer M Bus deck with a BMW changer, but it would not surprise me.

Good luck!

Luke

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398
    Thanks for 10 years of fun!

My Cars
    TBD
    Quote Originally Posted by Stereoinstaller1 View Post
    I installed roughly 125 CDX-M30s on stock decks in E30, E32, E34 and even an E31.

Never once have I tried using a Pioneer M Bus deck with a BMW changer, but it would not surprise me.

Good luck!

Luke

Thanks for the response

Did the CDX-M30 use a plug with these ends?

My Cars
    All of them!
    I tried to reply to your PM, says your mail box is full.

Lets talk, got time to call in the AM?

It's 425 761 6450

Thanks!
    Luke

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

My Cars
    TBD
    1 message limit, its clear now.

AM in WA is nearly lunch in TX. I'll try to call. I'll send an email too.

My Cars
    All of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by FHS View Post
    Thanks for the response

Did the CDX-M30 use a plug with these ends?

the earliest changer control decks used the same round plug on both ends.

Later decks, especially after 91, used that flat connector, but in those days, there was no adapter, those happened about 1993 or so

Closing SOON!

My Cars
    TBD
    Thanks again for all the information Luke.

For those of you curious as to why a guy with no vehicle in his description and no posts is asking about cd changers, I'm a land rover guy who finally grew sick of no plug and play solution for an aux input. I've got a prototype aux in thats been working great for the past few days other than a couple of small bugs to work out. I hope this post is cool. I'm not trying to make a living off of this, just recoup some of the costs of a scope, analyzer, software, and manufacturing equipment and hopefully help out some people who are in the same position I was with a factory head unit and a kluge of an aux input.

This device is just a simple cd changer emulator, no bluetooth or controls, and there won't be for a while. 3.5mm input that you access by cycling through AM, FM, FM, CD. Things are moving quickly and it should be out of the testing phase soon.

again, I hope I didn't step on anyone's toes by advertising on here. I figure most people have given up and swapped head units by now anyway.

My Cars
    TBD
    Success!

I thought I had ran into a protocol difference between the rover and BMW stuff and was just about to give up, then I realized what that blue wire hanging off the PIO 14 pin to 13 pin adapter was for (for those not in the know, the 14 wire does not carry +12v through the harness, but the 13 pin does)

My Cars
    TBD
    Got a couple of these built up. Like I mentioned in the last post it requires the PIO adapter to go to the 13 pin rectangular connector, and you'll need a really long cable to reach the trunk. Bluetooth with controls is the next challenge, hope to have that figured out in the next month or so.

http://www.flyinghorsesolutions.com/...-input-adapter

My Cars
    e30 vert 92
    [IMG]<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/UaklH2b" data-context="false" ><a href="//imgur.com/a/UaklH2b"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>[/IMG]

Kinda reviving an old thread here, but has anyone had any luck using the stock E30 "To multi play CD player" changer plug in the trunk to install a bluetooth or AUX adapter?

______
    92 E30 Vert Black
    91 E30 Sedan Blue
    92 E30 Vert Bronze
    Last edited by dfarid; 09-22-2020 at 03:11 PM.

My Cars
    e30 vert 92
    [IMG]<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/UaklH2b" data-context="false" ><a href="//imgur.com/a/UaklH2b"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>[/IMG]

My Cars
    01 325cic, 90 750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by dfarid View Post

Kinda reviving an old thread here, but has anyone had any luck using the stock E30 "To multi play CD player" changer plug in the trunk to install a bluetooth or AUX adapter?

______
    92 E30 Vert Black
    91 E30 Sedan Blue
    92 E30 Vert Bronze
    Reviving this thread because I'm ordering one of these to try out with the KE83/M90 combo in my 1990 750iL. https://maakbaas.com/shop/bmw-bluetooth-adapter

Pretty cool project!
    1990 750iL BronzitBeige Metallic
    2001 325cic OrientBlau

My Cars
    E38, E32
    Hi there. How is your Maakbaas adapter working? I am thinking on ordering it for my 740i E32. Is the bluetooth working stable, no freeze-outs ? Is quality of sound good?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BeeW View Post
    Reviving this thread because I'm ordering one of these to try out with the KE83/M90 combo in my 1990 750iL. https://maakbaas.com/shop/bmw-bluetooth-adapter

Pretty cool project!
    Hi there. How is your Maakbaas adapter working? I am thinking on ordering it for my 740i E32. Is the bluetooth working stable, no freeze-outs ? Is quality of sound good?

My Cars
    01 325cic, 90 750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirgi View Post

- - - Updated - - -

If you have a compatible radio, go right ahead! The chips he uses are high quality. I've done something similar with my e46 using off-the shelf components and its a massive quality of life upgrade.

If you have the KE-83, wait just a bit, I finally have the time to finish this project and have made headwinds. Going to make a patch cable from the 13pin DIN to the 2x5 idc on the maakbaas. Parts are on order from Alibaba, 13pin DIN female is surprisingly difficult to find.

The roadblock I've hit is that the KE-83 has 5 pins responsible for the cd changer communications, whereas the KE-91 (for which the maakbaas is compatible) only has 4.From what I can tell, the protocol only needs an initial 5V pulse on the 5th pin (SRQ) to trigger the headunit to "look" for the cd changer/bluetooth device. The latter KE-91 seems to initialize this on startup automatically.
    Waiting a couple days till I see my electrical engineer friend for advice, but the plan is to manually trigger the pulse (EE friend will enlighten me), and the maakbaas device should work as designed from there.

PM me if you want all the gory details. I dug quite a internet rabbit hole to find scraps of notes on how these ancient SPI protocols work. If you happen to be an EE, or can help with this problem, do PM me. Can't get ahold of Johhanes/maakbaas as his email is full.
    Last edited by BeeW; 03-20-2024 at 12:57 PM.
    1990 750iL BronzitBeige Metallic
    2001 325cic OrientBlau

My Cars
    M6, M3, DINAN 750iL, Z8, X3
    I have a 1988 M6 with a KE-83 and have been looking for a bluetooth module that would plug into the CD port. Have you found the solution?

///M Blitz (aka Dan)
    - 88 M6 (33K miles - original owner)
    "Best M6 in the World" - BMW Car Mag. (Nov. 05)
    Winner "Classic Class" Bimmerfest 2006 & 2011
    - 89 DINAN 750iL (71K miles - original owner)
    Second Place "Stock Class" Bimmerfest 2008 and 2016
    - 98 M3 (67K miles - RIP)
    - 03 Z8 (7K miles - original owner)
    - 75 2002 Turbo (52K miles)
    - 21 X5 X4.0 (Daily driver)
    - 2008 Porsche 911 Turbo Cab (6-sp manual) - Dark Olive Metallic

"If worse comes to worst" we are all f****d.