Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Project: Second time's the charm

MINIz guy is offline #buttstuff2k14 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    rolls coal
    Quote Originally Posted by LockDots View Post
    Hahaha I love that end. Nice save!
    Looking back at it, it was certainly a pucker moment. A few other cars did a full send into that field.

My Cars
    rolls coal
    Signed up for 2018 Solo Nats! Maybe driving the E36, but the list of maintenance is growing on it and I'd rather just not care and have fun during the event. Still 50/50 whether I bring it there.

My Cars
    rolls coal

The best way to be prepping for nationals... tearing into your car. Well 225k miles looks good on the cam and the only other things I’ll do are a wash and wax!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    S54/E36,18 Sierra Denali
    Nice! Did you ever pick a different bushing? AKG has always been good to me.

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Quote Originally Posted by PITT M3 RR View Post
    +1 for AKG here. I use the black poly and love it. Just a touch firmer than fresh stock.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

My Cars
    rolls coal
    Quote Originally Posted by PITT M3 RR View Post
    +1 for AKG here. I use the black poly and love it. Just a touch firmer than fresh stock.

To be honest I haven't even looked at the differential since the last national event I did in June. No time to work on cars and just started a new job.

I'll check it out again after nationals and then try and get new bushings. I think I'm going back to 75A because I want something that is enjoyable to drive. I'll be willing to explore all options. I also think I need to repack one of my mufflers as it's gotten way louder too.

Tomorrow at 8am I leave for STL before continuing on to Lincoln. I'll either have headphones and a podcast in, or ear plugs. Sucks that this is a "street" car but I have to go to these lengths.

My Cars
    rolls coal
    https://www.facebook.com/solomatters...58521177538356

Got a mention on SoloMatters with the "livery" I decided to put on it!

Well I didn't do as well as I expected, placing 31/45, and realized the car could also use some work again. I was very rusty after not driving it since June, and didn't even test 'n tune at Lincoln. I figured I could do decently, slotting in mid-pack, if I just kept my cool and drove.

Day 1 was wet, so I did alright but had a big bobble at the end of my best run. It didn't help I walked it once the day before, and I was preoccupied with my clutch pedal not coming back up. I found out my camera SD car was corrupted, so I didn't get any footage throughout the entire weekend.

Day 2 was dry and sunny. On my first run out I realized how much grip there was on the concrete. I've never felt my car roll so violently, and I was being thrown around in my bucket seat at every transition. I think my coilovers are shot, or at least they do not have enough bump damping needed for the level of grip available. I felt this at Finger Lakes, but not to this extreme. I think I'm nearing 20k miles on these coils, with a decent amount of autox/track and lots of city driving.

I had a good talk with a guy that brought an E36 to nats in '16 and did well at. They had a pretty extreme setup from what I've read online, but somehow I was nearing their setup. Gotta fix my clutch issue, get proper suspension and realign the car again. With that, and me consistently working on my driving, I should be close to a trophy in 2019. I gotta give the E36 a proper attempt at a trophy as their numbers are dwindling at nats!

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Hah, that's awesome! Maybe I'll get to meet you next year. I'm hoping to attend a MetLife event or two next year. This is my first year doing a full season (with the exception of two events).

My Cars
    rolls coal
    Hah, that's awesome! Maybe I'll get to meet you next year. I'm hoping to attend a MetLife event or two next year. This is my first year doing a full season (with the exception of two events).

Well I’m going to try and make a few MetLife October events to finish the season and burn off my tires. There’s still time this season!

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Wish I could, but I have a 1yr old at the moment so I can't stray too far for the time being.

Last edited by LockDots; 09-13-2018 at 08:15 AM.

My Cars
    rolls coal
    Attachment 636697

At nats last week. Going to the shop this week

My Cars
    rolls coal

Bought some new shocks for the car. Gonna upload my unboxing video soon

Last edited by MINIz guy; 12-28-2018 at 03:41 PM.

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Badass!

My Cars
    rolls coal
    Badass!
    Crazy to spend this much on suspension, but I figured I'd do it once and never have to buy again. Still haven't had time to take a good look at it with how busy the holidays were and with my long work hours.

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Quote Originally Posted by MINIz guy View Post
    Crazy to spend this much on suspension, but I figured I'd do it once and never have to buy again. Still haven't had time to take a good look at it with how busy the holidays were and with my long work hours.
    More or less the same thing I did. I recently purchased a set of KW V3 coils to put on the car.

My Cars
    rolls coal
    Always nice getting parts delivered at work.

Also got my front JRZ's installed. I'll get well-lit, non-iPhone pictures one day when the car finally leaves the garage.

Last edited by MINIz guy; 03-20-2019 at 03:33 PM.

My Cars
    rolls coal

Another garage shot now that it’s finally on the ground. Gotta drive it around tomorrow and let the springs settle, then do final height adjustments. The front has to come up but the rear is bottomed out and I hope it goes lower.

My Cars
    rolls coal
    Did my first TnT last Saturday. Wow I can finally feel a difference in as little as 2 clicks of the knobs. It can go from soft and roll around, to so stiff that the car jumps around on course since the suspension is so jacked down. I can't believe I can change the way a car handles so much just by turning knobs and nothing more.

Car currently rotates on power, which it never did before. However, with the ride height, alignment and spring rate changes, it doesn't turn in like it used to. More knobs to play with, and another alignment needed cause the last shop messed it up.

My Cars
    '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
    What spring rates did you end up using?
    Straight lines are for fast cars...turns are for fast drivers
    '06 650i Cab - daily driver
    '04 M3 - track
    '15 RX350 - kid hauler

My Cars
    rolls coal
    650/1000 but I'm not 100% settled on it, or understand how to set up the car yet.

My Cars
    rolls coal

Dry runs from the NJ Pro Solo. My favorite format of nationals events because of the back-to-back runs. I gave it all I had but coned away a decent right side run. Raw footage but the last left/ride side runs start about halfway through.

Day 1 and Day 2 of the Finger Lake Champ Tour. Not extremely happy with the driving as these were very safe runs. Forgot my good camera so I just threw an old one on the windshield. I did like the sound it picked up and it does show where I'm pointing the car pretty well. At least I'm not bobbling my brakes/throttle application besides that one moment on day 2 at the pin turn.

My Cars
    rolls coal
    Got a bunch of stuff done this weekend. Ready for my first TNiA tomorrow

1. Heater control valve so I don't have hot air blowing on my feet all the time
    2. Water pump, fan clutch and pulley for piece of mind
    3. Belt tensioner chasing a pulley squeak, I think I need to replace the serpentine pulley instead
    4. Clutch master cylinder for piece of mind. I think the slave is what is making my pedal feel weird.
    5. Readjusted ride height with a shorter spring. Looks like 2018 now.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MINIz guy; 06-24-2019 at 10:05 AM.

My Cars
    rolls coal
    TNiA didn't go do well as I split the expansion tank hose at the end of the first session. 99% sure I didn't clip it into the fan shroud properly, but I didn't overheat and managed to splice the hose together to make it home.

I was also made aware how badly my front sway bar was binding. There is over 2mm of space between the bushing and clamp, so I put a washer in between and it moves freely now. I wonder how much better the car will drive now.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

My Cars
    rolls coal
    Well, made it through a TNiA without failures. New personal best at NJMP Lightning, but I should be going 3 seconds faster apparently. Here are two 1:21.7's and then a 1:22.0.

Last edited by MINIz guy; 07-25-2019 at 08:29 PM.

My Cars
    rolls coal

Recent video from a Pocono autocross. Tires are heat cycled out and I can't carry any speed in the sweepers.

I still need to post up my NJMP Lightning laps I did last week. Dropped 1.5 seconds on the same tires just by braking deeper. But the video is pretty boring and filled with 1:20's. 1:18's possible with new tires and no traffic, as I was skirting 1:19's.

Last edited by MINIz guy; 09-16-2019 at 10:54 PM.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast