Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Project: Second time's the charm

MINIz guy is offline #buttstuff2k14 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    rolls coal
    Quote Originally Posted by flyfishvt View Post
    I'm confused. You have a 2.93 LSD? Your car didn't come with one. Stock for that car is a 2.93 open.
    It's a 2.93 out of a 325e in the E36 case.

My Cars
    rolls coal

Back at it again with the rainy autocross events!

My Cars
    rolls coal

First interior mod. Loving the knob but now I need a short shifter.

My Cars
    rolls coal

I was 2nd in STX for a bit... but eventually got pushed back to 4th. Still had an amazing time.

My Cars
    rolls coal

I can't keep up with the guys running RE-71R's. Sat comfortably in 3rd until an FRS came along and had a clean run. 17x9's and 255's are coming later this month.

My Cars
    rolls coal

Finally this thing will get grip. Also have an eBay short shifter and intake going on it coming next month. I want to make the DC Champ tour so I hope the car is ready by then. I think there is a regionally competitive car in it, as long as I can wheel it around right.

My Cars
    rolls coal
    This showed up at home already... Thanks for nothing Tire Rack as those wheels will sit in a garage for over a month before I get a chance to use them.

And collecting parts for a shifter rebuild. Lots of slop in what I have now, so I want something that shifts better. I get spoiled at the dealership I work at when I drive cars with nice shifters.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    rolls coal

Not the best run of the day, but the only one recorded. I played around with data logging so I could compare runs instantaneously. Syncing up the data to the video is a gimmick and more trouble to be worth. I'll eventually be buying an external GPS receiver to get more reliable data that I can actually use.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328i Sedan
    Nice. How's the 3" exhaust for regular driving?
    1997 BMW 328i

My Cars
    rolls coal
    Quote Originally Posted by ApexEight View Post
    Nice. How's the 3" exhaust for regular driving?
    I can handle it But in the words of the welder who put it together, "It's right at the limit of what I'd have for a daily driver." I couldn't imagine dailying it if it was any louder.

Between the exhaust and coils, the car rides rough. Good thing I'll be leaving the city streets of St. Louis and going back to the suburbs of NJ soon.

My Cars
    rolls coal
    Installed shorter Swift springs and Kosei K8R's. Front ride height is all funky now, I hope it settles in about 1/2" lower.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328i Sedan
    Looks great! What's up with the red stickers on your tires?
    1997 BMW 328i

My Cars
    rolls coal
    They just say "Driver's side" so I don't install them backwards since the tires are directional. Didn't take them off since I was so excited to get this thing rolling on the road.

My Cars
    Prelude-328-M3-4Runner
    New wheels are sweet, front end definitely needs to come down though. Guessing you ended up okay on the strut clearance?
    CBlock

My Cars
    rolls coal
    I'm content with strut clearance right now. They are set at the lowest ride height possible with Swift 6" springs preloaded 1/4". Ended up raising the rear 3/4" to compensate for the front being jacked up. Running an acceptable rake now, but the car is 3/4" higher than I'd prefer. Here's a picture for 'merica.

Kosei K8R_01 by MINIz guy, on Flickr

My Cars
    rolls coal
    Day 1 of NEPA Pocono Infield done! I'm loving the grip the car has, but still figuring out suspension settings to run. I've still got to work on my driving ability too with this new-found grip.

Here are some pictures of it dirty and stickered up. I'm keeping those cone marks on the bumper

Pocono Infield_01 by MINIz guy, on Flickr

Pocono Infield_02 by MINIz guy, on Flickr

And a cool effect I've been finding. My brake pads dust so much I get shadow letters!

Pocono Infield_03 by MINIz guy, on Flickr

My Cars
    rolls coal
    Okay, first event done with the Bridgestones. They are truly jesus tires, even if they haven't been totally broken in yet. I know the car has the pace to keep up with the front runners, but I just don't trust the tires enough since the limit went up so much. I've never hit so many inside cones with my tires in my life, I struggled with clean runs not from over driving but just running so tight.

I also had a lot of 3rd gear on both days. Another one of my weaknesses, as I'm not so strong with heel-toeing unless it is in a straight line. I couldn't find gears, slipped out of my seat, or just had the clutch pedal slide off the clutch stop. I gotta find straight line sections to shift at, and I'm also gonna put rebuilding my shifter and adding delrin clutch pedal bushings to the top of my list.

Here are my two runs. Mad my day 1 was dirty (inside cone on slalom again), as I couldn't string together a cleaner run than that. I was still 4 seconds off pace in STX though! Got a lot to learn...

Last edited by MINIz guy; 06-12-2016 at 07:24 PM.

My Cars
    rolls coal

IMG_2209 by MINIz guy, on Flickr

Most definitely going left in this picture...

My Cars
    rolls coal
    Since I'll be taking a weekend off from autocross...I decided to finally do some maintenance. Delrin clutch pedal bushings are in, but no pictures as you wouldn't be able to see anything anyway.

Now I'm tackling on the shifter! 212k miles have certainly added some slop. Pulling out my E53 X5 shift lever (extra knob height) and putting in an eBay blue B&M replica shifter. Also adding Garagistic shift carrier bushings, and all other worn parts.

Definitely gonna get shorter shifts, and the Jaffster knob will add back the lost height I was used to.

Currently stuck getting the B!itch clip off. I'll be making a trip to Harbor Freight for the recommended tool. No combination of screwdrivers and pick tools worked for me.
    Last edited by MINIz guy; 06-29-2016 at 10:37 AM.

My Cars
    99 328is, 03 X5
    Car looks like it grips a ton. I have learned from experience and the first thing I generally do is a bucket seat. Id assume that is fairly high on your list now, or certainly should be.

My Cars
    rolls coal
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Neverlift View Post
    Car looks like it grips a ton. I have learned from experience and the first thing I generally do is a bucket seat. Id assume that is fairly high on your list now, or certainly should be.
    It is high, but not top priority. Still want to sort out my front suspension geometry, rear bushings, rear subframe (if I have the budget) and then I can get into buckets. On certain occasions I need them but I can get by without them

My Cars
    Alpha Romero
    Great thread, and very interested to hear what you think of the shifter.. Most reviews online are coming from people that just DD the car, but to hear from someone that actually uses their car in situations where shorter, more precise shifts would actually be a huge benefit...

Keep up the good work and keep the videos coming!

My Cars
    rolls coal
    Got the b!tch clip off with the right tool. Harbor Freight discontinued theirs so I picked up an auto parts store tool.

Garagistic bushings went in. Too bad they're so tight I gotta ream the holes out a bit. Same with the shift lever. I hope I don't go too crazy and take off too much material.

And lastly, replacing the selector rod joint bushing. That foam is GONE.

Everything should go back on tomorrow. Sick of the car raining dirt and foam insulation on my face.

My Cars
    rolls coal

A quick video of the eBay shifter installed. First impressions are that I love it. Shifts are short, precise and not too notchy. I'll have to update after a few thousand miles and autocross events.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by MINIz guy View Post
    YouTube Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7vV6QhrvwM A quick video of the eBay shifter installed. First impressions are that I love it. Shifts are short, precise and not too notchy. I'll have to update after a few thousand miles and autocross events.
    Do you happen to have a link for the shifter?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast