Thread: Scam? - Automotive Testing and Development Services, Inc. $500 offer to borrow my car

My Cars
    2011 328i xDrive

Scam? - Automotive Testing and Development Services, Inc. $500 offer to borrow my car

Yesterday I received a letter from Automotive Testing and Development Services, Inc. I don't think this is a scam. Briefly they want to know if I want to be considered part of their testing program contracted by BMW. Briefly, they give me $500, a late model BMW to use for 5 - 10 days. They take my car and do emissions testing on it. They return it with a full tank of gas and washed inside and out and take the loaner BMW. The firm is out of Ann Arbor Michigan (I checked them).

There was a letter (looks legit) from BMW of North America, LLC included as well. There is a return envelope (postage paid) to send my responses to a 1 page survey. Basic stuff (Name, am I interested in participating, VIN, Make Model, Color, License Plate #, phone number. There is a 1-800 number to call along with a BMW email address. Anyone else get this?

If it is a scam, it is the best one I have ever seen.
    Last edited by evh; 06-06-2015 at 05:07 PM.

My Cars
    2008 328xi Sportwagon

My Cars
    2011 328i xDrive
    Thanks Pilgrim,

Yes, I have all the numbers of both the testing facility and BMW. I will call on Monday and share what I learn. I have only owned the car for a year and a bit of a newbie to the BMW world. I thought I would have seen references to this on the forums, but I don't find any. According the letter it states:

"Your 2011 BMW vehicle will be safeguarded and full insured by the ATDS". It also states - "The purpose of this program is to evaluate how well the emission system is functioning. Your vehicle will be tested indoors on a dynamometer (treadmill-like device) and driven simulating normal driving conditions." "The normal program length is five to ten working days, however, occasionally it may extend longer.

Ok folks, lets assume this is all legit. I will call on Monday and find out specifics (i.e. how many hours will the car be driven, how fast, will they make any adjustments, what if something is wrong when it is returned, etc.). Lets say it is < 5 hours total on the Dyno and they don't go any faster than 80mph. Would you do it? $500 cash, a free loaner late model BMW with a full tank of gas, your BMW returned washed, interior cleaned, with a full tank of gas.

Thoughts? Questions you would ask?

My Cars
    2006 325xi Sportwagon
    Sounds stupid.

My Cars
    '09 E92 335
    Even if it is 100% legit, unless you are strapped for cash, $500 doesn't seem to be worth the inconvenience. Yeah you get a loaner, but it's not the same as your car, plus the worry about what they are doing to your car, wouldn't be worth it to me.

My Cars
    2011 328i xDrive
    Ok,

I called the Automotive Testing and Development Services, Inc. Company to ask questions. Here are my brief notes:

- It sounds 100% legit
    - They are doing emissions testing for BMW
    - In this campaign they are contacting a random pull of owners with 1 year old and 4 year old vehicles in Michigan that are in a certain radius of a test facility in Ann Arbor
    - They don’t have their own test facility for this so they borrow time at the Mercedes Benz facility
    - Based on the yes responses, they then take a random pull of those and these are the owners that are contacted
    - The loaner cars are either a 2015 335i or 2015 x5 (if you have a sport utility BMW)
    - On average they put 80 miles on the vehicle
    - It is driven to simulate normal driving conditions (stop/go, etc.)
    - They don’t take anything apart, they test tail pipe emissions
    - There is a 3 ring binder of documents to sign when the exchange occurs
    - Both vehicles are inspected and documented in this exchange (dents, dings, etc.)
    - Any damage to my vehicle is covered by them (they don’t contact my insurance company)
    - Any damage I do to the loaner vehicle is covered by them (they don’t contact my insurance company) – unless it is intentional
    - The $500 check is mailed 14 days after my car is returned.
    - The timing of this is in the next 2 months
    - Even if you say you want to do it, you can back out at any time

My Cars
    2006 325xi Sportwagon
    still sounds stupid.

My Cars
    2011 328i xDrive
    Ok, I started this thread in early June so I thought I would let you know how it ended. After the initial contact to me in early June, I heard nothing from Automotive Testing and Development Services, Inc (ATDS) for 3 months. I figured my car was not selected for the program. Then in early September, I received a call from ATDS indicating my car was selected. They indicated I would receive a call in the next few months locking down an exact date/time they would pick up my car. They said the loaner car would be either a 2016 335 (I think I have the model correct) or a 2016 X5 with X-Drive. I said I wanted the X5.

Sure enough in mid-October the call came and I scheduled them to pick up the car on Oct. 30th at my home between 8/9am. Coincidentally that day we were helping some family members move.

At 8:20am a 2016 X5 X-Drive with 7,000 miles arrived with a full tank of gas (see attached picture). Wow! What a car. This thing has more gadgets then I am used to (head up display, etc.). I can’t believe how quiet and quick it is. The computer screen in it is about the size of my laptop. Anyhow, back to the switch.

We walked around both cars and noted any damage (there wasn’t any on both) and off he drove with my car (with about 1/8 tank of gas). It was really useful having the X5. It is very large and was of great help in the move I mentioned earlier. It would have been more difficult using my 328i.

My car was returned on November 10th at my home early in the morning. As promised, the car was washed and had a full tank of gas (the X5 was not washed and I left about 1/8 tank of gas). My car had an additional 300 miles on it when it was returned to me. It would have been about 210 miles round trip to the testing facility from where I live so I estimate they put roughly 80 - 90 miles on it on the dyno.

I also attached a copy of the $510 I received in the mail as payment for the testing. The contract said the amount would be $500. Not sure why it was $510.

So that is about it. Would I do it again? Absolutely! The cash is nice, but the use of the X5 was really great. So am I now shopping for an X5….. We’ll see

2016X5.jpgEmmissionCheckCleansed.jpg
    Last edited by evh; 11-16-2015 at 03:40 PM.

My Cars
    '09 E92 335
    That's actually not that bad. Glad you had a good experience with it, I know i'm always a little nervous about those offers. There is always that thought in the back of my mind that I'm going to get screwed some way or another.

My Cars
    2015 335i MSport
    Check is fake. They used your car in a crime. I'm calling it now.

My Cars
    2013 BMW 328i xDrive
    I’m guessing BMW has taken note of the fate of VW and wants to be pro-active with respect to their vehicle’s on going emissions performance. Give the multi-billion dollar fine VW is having to deal with I can certainly understand wanting to be pro-active on the issue!

My Cars
    2013 BMW 1 convertible
    I just received the invitation however this is what I found online regarding the company:

https://www.bbb.org/central-californ...and-complaints
    Last edited by amay321; 11-12-2017 at 07:13 PM.

My Cars
    90 535i 08 335i
    They definitely used your car as a drug mule