Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: M62tu with SuperSprint headers, SS no-cat connecting pipes, to SS resonator delete

My Cars
    E21,E38,E39,F10 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by philly98540 View Post
    Holy Nascar loud loud. That's wicked. You keeping it like that?
    Nascar loud is a great way to describe it. As much as the evil and immature side of me wants to leave it like that, realistically I cant. It's just simply MUCH too loud especially for the community i live in. I'm sure a few nights of me getting in from work at 3am in this thing will warrant complaints from the neighbors enough to get me the boot.

If I were to make this 540 an all out race car, then yes, I would absolutely leave it like that but then I would also be gutting out the interior, etc. and I dont want to lose the daily drive ability of the car.

Stancing is for drivers trapped in an abusive relationship of their own lives.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Just please get some really good drive-by footage of it before you change it!

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Manny, the idle sound way cool, I love it.
    It's a bit loud when you punch it.
    Wonder what it would sound like outside the garage just cruising down the road?

My Cars
    00-540i,93-Z32,95-Miata
    I agree idle sounds awesome. Overall sounds pretty scary, lol. Do you have pictures of the setup? I'd like to see all the connecting pieces from Supersprint installed. Only modification I've got on my 540i is the Supersprint muffler rest is stock, but after hearing this I'd love to get the complete setup!

My Cars
    E21,E38,E39,F10 M5
    Thanks guys..

Yeah the idle was pretty nice even when cold. The revs in the video never went above 3k because of the cold engine, so it actually gets LOUDER than that. Either sometime today or tomorrow I will spend more time with taking pictures and some driving footage before I get the resonators put in.

My Cars
    540i6 S2M5 M2C 135 S52ti
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    Manny, the idle sound way cool, I love it. It's a bit loud when you punch it. Wonder what it would sound like outside the garage just cruising down the road?
    this

My Cars
    E21,E38,E39,F10 M5
    Working on putting together something to capture more rolling footage, possibly with GoPros and out on the open highway.

My Cars
    Canada
    ummmm.....wth. That is the loudest thing I ever heard from a vehicle. Sounds like two unicorns made of steel continually heading butting eachother at 100mph.

My Cars
    540i6 S2M5 M2C 135 S52ti
    Quote Originally Posted by mapleridge View Post
    ummmm.....wth. That is the loudest thing I ever heard from a vehicle. Sounds like two unicorns made of steel continually heading butting eachother at 100mph.
    lol literally just LOL'd

My Cars
    E21,E38,E39,F10 M5
    So to update -- plans totally fell apart last minute to get rolling footage of the straight through setup. GoPro battery was dead and I didn't have an SD card with space on it anyway, and also phone was on last 2% and I didn't have the stupid (usb-c) charger.

Fabspeed resonators have already been welded in, and SOME of the raspy-ness is gone. The idle still sounds similar to before just slightly toned down.

I'm not a 100% satisfied with how it turned out sounding. If I keep a light foot on the accelerator and dont WOT punch it, I avoid it sounding raspy. It is still pretty loud, and when I'm at highway speeds and in the upper RPM range, it sounds amazing, but thats about the only time. I'm wondering if the Dinan exhaust is what is contributing to the rasp.

My Cars
    E21,E38,E39,F10 M5
    Final update:

The Dinan exhaust can is what was causing the rasp. I replaced it with the Supersprint M-tech exhaust and all I can say is ... OHHH MY GODD, it sounds PERFECT.

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    Get a vid to share this new set up.
    98 540i 6, 525 whp, 120 mph 1/4, V3 Si S/C'er @16 psi, W/A I/C, Water/Meth, Supersprint Headers, HJS Cats, 3" Custom Exhaust, UUC Twin Disc, Wavetrac LSD, GC Coil Overs, Monoball TA, AEM FP, Aeromotive FPR, AEM Failsafe AFR/Boost, Style 65's w/275's, M5 Steering Box, Eibach Sways, M3 Shifter, Evans Coolant, 85 Deg Stat, PWM Fan, 10" Subs, B.A. speakers, Grom Aux/BT, Still Rolling as my DD!

My Cars
    E21,E38,E39,F10 M5
    Ok, so here it goes.

This is a video of essentially the same setup as posted before, but with Fabspeed resonators installed on the cat-delete pipes.

Video number two with the same Dinan muffler.

This is a video with the new Supersprint M-technic muffler. SS PN# 022 785 926

Same location and conditions as the second video above, but with the Supersprint muffler instead of the Dinan.

A few shots of the underside:
    IMG_20160407_164919.jpg
    IMG_20160407_164938.jpg
    IMG_20160425_130213.jpg
    IMG_20160425_130306.jpg

So, it turns out that Dinan's "Tuned Resonance Chamber Technology" was the problem. It was tuned with chambers using the factory M62tu exhaust system. When I installed all of the Supersprint components and deleted cats and resonators, the exhaust flow increased and the Dinan muffler's chambers could not keep up with the flow causing it to sound like a Wookie screaming for its life as its being drowned.

I'm going away for a few days, but when I return, I'm planning to get another video with a GoPro attached to the rear. I'd like to see if its spitting a flame or not (it sounds like it might be occasionally).

In the end, this is roughly a $5000 Supersprint exhaust system (including ceramic coating and resonators, not including labor). I've spent months saving away for this and piecing it together and I can finally say, I am very satisfied with it.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, forgot to add, the all important "butt-dyno" reading.

The powerband feels like its been shifted up and extends alll the way to the redline. If I had to take a guess, maybe 15-20HP increase overall. I'm hoping to get onto a dyno at some point and see what the car is putting down to the wheels. Unfortunately I didnt do any dyno runs prior to all my upgrades, so it would be more to see where I'm at with everything rather than a comparison which would have been ideal.
    Last edited by Manny G.; 04-28-2016 at 02:12 PM.

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    Much much better now! The rasp is gone. Car sounds really good.

Any drone in cabin at 1500-2000 RPM's?
    98 540i 6, 525 whp, 120 mph 1/4, V3 Si S/C'er @16 psi, W/A I/C, Water/Meth, Supersprint Headers, HJS Cats, 3" Custom Exhaust, UUC Twin Disc, Wavetrac LSD, GC Coil Overs, Monoball TA, AEM FP, Aeromotive FPR, AEM Failsafe AFR/Boost, Style 65's w/275's, M5 Steering Box, Eibach Sways, M3 Shifter, Evans Coolant, 85 Deg Stat, PWM Fan, 10" Subs, B.A. speakers, Grom Aux/BT, Still Rolling as my DD!

My Cars
    E21,E38,E39,F10 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by philly98540 View Post
    Much much better now! The rasp is gone. Car sounds really good.

Any drone in cabin at 1500-2000 RPM's?
    No drone at all. I can cruise all day between 1500-2000RPMs on the highway and carry on a normal conversation or hear music just fine. I can probably thank the resonators for that.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i 6speed
    what did you do with the bank 1 o2 sensors did you have to extend the harness? ive been trying to figure that out for ages.
    540i 6spd DUDMD tuned-weekend brute, sounds like an M5 throaty V8 "Vtec-ish" cam noise.

Hummer- 35inch MT's, Adventure offroad package.

check out my video gear
    https://kit.co/Lv5multimedia/mobile-videographer-set-up

Best Oil hands down for bmw
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...1441c0abde2552

My Cars
    E21,E38,E39,F10 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by vien View Post
    what did you do with the bank 1 o2 sensors did you have to extend the harness? ive been trying to figure that out for ages.

Yes, they needed to be extended a lot. I forgot the measurement, but it was close to 30". I added a SAP simulator that already had some length added to it, but I'm also going to need to add some spark plug non-foulers to the rear o2 sensors to get rid of the CEL.

My Cars
    2002 540i
    Hey Manny,

Wanted to somewhat revive this thread. Just got done doing a similar install on my 02 540. Had the Dinan stage 5 set up on the car and recently added the full Supersprint set up (headers, full exhaust system, etc.) but went ahead and installed HJS cats as well as a resonator to try and kill as much of the REALLY loud noise the system is now creating! I ended up installing a Meisterschaft exhaust and my goodness, it is still loud. My wife hates riding in it now and wants me to do something about it.

Even after the cats, the resonator, and the Meisterschaft, the drone is horrible. At full highway (70-80 mph) speeds, the drone goes away but anything below that, especially at stop and go traffic, the sound gets old really fast. I love the look of the Meisterschaft but I'm wondering if it's the wrong choice to pair up with everything. The same way you discovered the Dinan was not the right piece to mate to the Supersprint set up, I'm wondering if the Meisterschaft was meant for a axle back stock system.

Were you experiencing any drone from the Supersprint muffler at all? I would think since it was designed in conjunction with the rest of the Supersprint system that perhaps the design and engineering of the Supersprint muffler takes into account the added noise the now more free flowing system is creating.

MANGO
    What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stranger!

My Cars
    E21,E38,E39,F10 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by Mangostene View Post
    Hey Manny,

Wanted to somewhat revive this thread. Just got done doing a similar install on my 02 540. Had the Dinan stage 5 set up on the car and recently added the full Supersprint set up (headers, full exhaust system, etc.) but went ahead and installed HJS cats as well as a resonator to try and kill as much of the REALLY loud noise the system is now creating! I ended up installing a Meisterschaft exhaust and my goodness, it is still loud. My wife hates riding in it now and wants me to do something about it.

Even after the cats, the resonator, and the Meisterschaft, the drone is horrible. At full highway (70-80 mph) speeds, the drone goes away but anything below that, especially at stop and go traffic, the sound gets old really fast. I love the look of the Meisterschaft but I'm wondering if it's the wrong choice to pair up with everything. The same way you discovered the Dinan was not the right piece to mate to the Supersprint set up, I'm wondering if the Meisterschaft was meant for a axle back stock system.

Were you experiencing any drone from the Supersprint muffler at all? I would think since it was designed in conjunction with the rest of the Supersprint system that perhaps the design and engineering of the Supersprint muffler takes into account the added noise the now more free flowing system is creating.

MANGO
    Mango.. I am not experiencing any drone with the Supersprint. There is a very small range down low in the RPMs where it sounds like it want to start to drone, but goes away just as quickly. The Supersprint exhaust was definitely tuned for the complete system... I'm not sure how the Meisterchaft is designed, but if its anything like the Dinan one with a Helmholtz chamber, then it will cause horrible drone and sound just as terrible. Yeah its loud, but thats about it... just annoyingly loud.

Switch to the Supersprint can and rejoice.

My Cars
    2002 540i
    Thanks Manny,

Were did you end up getting your muffler from?

MANGO
    What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stranger!

My Cars
    E21,E38,E39,F10 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by Mangostene View Post
    Thanks Manny,

Were did you end up getting your muffler from?

MANGO
    Everything except my headers came directly from Supersprint through a local distributor. You can get it through Turner or ECS as they are now SS distributors.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by Manny G. View Post
    Everything except my headers came directly from Supersprint through a local distributor. You can get it through Turner aka ECS as they are now SS distributors.
    iFTFY
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123