Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: M62tu with SuperSprint headers, SS no-cat connecting pipes, to SS resonator delete

My Cars
    E21,E38,E39,F10 M5

M62tu with SuperSprint headers, SS no-cat connecting pipes, to SS resonator delete

I finally pulled the trigger today and laid down the cash to do the COMPELTE exhaust system on my '03 540i/6 M-Sport.

I already have a Dinan free-flow M-technic exhaust which I will be keeping with this setup. It already sounds great as it is, I want it to sound even better.

I managed to find someone selling a new set of headers that they didn't get around to installing along with the factory cat connecting pipes, not sure if I will use them yet or not.

I got:
    • Supersprint headers for M62/S62 V8 (along with connecting pipes for factory catalytic converters) SS PN# - 022 786 801 & 022 785 911
    • Supersprint front connecting pipes (cat delete) SS PN# - 022 786 812
    • Supersprint Y-Pipe SS PN# - 022 785 912
    • Supersprint Connecting Pipe (resonator delete) SS PN# - 022 785 953

I can't find a sound clip anywhere of this setup, most of the videos I find have cat deletes, res deletes, both, or full straight with muffler delete which was insanely loud.

Overall calculated weight savings is roughly ~105lbs with the Supersprint setup.

• Factory headers are ~90lbs (~45lbs per side), Supersprint headers are 28lbs.
    • Factory cats are ~30lbs, (~15lbs per side), Supersprint racing cats are 20lbs, the connecting pipes are less
    • Factory Y-split and resonator is ~45lbs, Supersprint Y-pipe & res delete is 2lbs & 10lbs respectively

I'm hoping to have it all in and installed by the end of the month or early July at latest, ever since I moved to FL I've been wanting to take advantage of the no-emissions laws here. According to Dinan's older documentation for the M5, the Dinan headers required at least a stage 4 tune, I already have the stage 5 tune on the 540i.

Is anybody else here running a full or even partial Supersprint setup on their M62/tu?

ImageUploadedByAG Free1431221050.364374.jpg
    Last edited by Manny G.; 06-05-2015 at 01:03 AM.

Stancing is for drivers trapped in an abusive relationship of their own lives.

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    Nice score. In for updates on the install.
    98 540i 6, 525 whp, 120 mph 1/4, V3 Si S/C'er @16 psi, W/A I/C, Water/Meth, Supersprint Headers, HJS Cats, 3" Custom Exhaust, UUC Twin Disc, Wavetrac LSD, GC Coil Overs, Monoball TA, AEM FP, Aeromotive FPR, AEM Failsafe AFR/Boost, Style 65's w/275's, M5 Steering Box, Eibach Sways, M3 Shifter, Evans Coolant, 85 Deg Stat, PWM Fan, 10" Subs, B.A. speakers, Grom Aux/BT, Still Rolling as my DD!

My Cars
    00 M5 / 99 540i
    Lucky duck! Should be nice!

Any chance you care enough to dyno before and after? Regardless you'll have a mean sounding car after this
    2000 Silverstone/Silverstone M5 1/34

My Cars
    E39 540I, C5 Allroad
    I have the headers, some HFC (dont know name brand) that pushes back to a magnaflow muffler. It sits under the back seat area, then two pipes go back and dump out of OE looking tips for the stealth approach. However no Y pipe on mine, its duals all the way back.

Cold Start:

Rolling shot: Sorry for the screaming youngin, he is already a hot rod and was mad momma let me win.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i 6speed
    nice pick up
    540i 6spd DUDMD tuned-weekend brute, sounds like an M5 throaty V8 "Vtec-ish" cam noise.

Hummer- 35inch MT's, Adventure offroad package.

check out my video gear
    https://kit.co/Lv5multimedia/mobile-videographer-set-up

Best Oil hands down for bmw
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...1441c0abde2552

My Cars
    2000 540i SC'd | 2001 M5
    Why not install an X-Pipe with a dual exhaust for this?

On an M62TU, if you compare a bone stock exhaust (and car) with a car that has headers, no catalytic converters, an X-Pipe, and any non-restrictive rear mufflers paired with a proper custom tune for them then the gains are in the 50WHP department. Some members will tell you it is not significant, but I disagree. The gains of the upgrade I described are noticeable at every single RPM. I have done everything I described without even aftermarket headers and there was already quite a difference not just on a Dyno, but in a real world side-by-side pull.

Good luck with the install. If you can, please do a before and after dyno!

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Aaaahhh Florida, no inspections! It's like the Wild West! What a wonderful life you guys have. Except of course when I got my Benz from there it was borderline deathtrap ready to throw it's wheels into the ditch at highway speed cuz no safety inspections meant nobody gave a crap that the ball joints could have been pried out with a Playskool Little Mechanics plastic tool set...

If you do full cat delete up here they set fire to your house as punishment and make you drive a moped for the rest of your born days. I'm actually pro-cat myself, but it sure must be nice not to have all the other bureaucracy and institutionalized graft associated with inspection nazis.
    Last edited by geargrinder; 06-05-2015 at 10:29 AM. Reason: misspelled playskool
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    E21,E38,E39,F10 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgnms View Post
    Why not install an X-Pipe with a dual exhaust for this?

On an M62TU, if you compare a bone stock exhaust (and car) with a car that has headers, no catalytic converters, an X-Pipe, and any non-restrictive rear mufflers paired with a proper custom tune for them then the gains are in the 50WHP department. Some members will tell you it is not significant, but I disagree. The gains of the upgrade I described are noticeable at every single RPM. I have done everything I described without even aftermarket headers and there was already quite a difference not just on a Dyno, but in a real world side-by-side pull.

Good luck with the install. If you can, please do a before and after dyno!
    X-pipe will require a second can/outlet. That will require something being done about the spare tire well, etc. I already have a car with 4 exhaust tips,. I want the 540i to have the 1 big tip.

My Cars
    E39 540I, C5 Allroad
    Quote Originally Posted by Manny G. View Post
    X-pipe will require a second can/outlet. That will require something being done about the spare tire well, etc. I already have a car with 4 exhaust tips,. I want the 540i to have the 1 big tip.
    Not necessarily. I have duals no X pipe yet, however they share a single magnaflow, 2 pipes in, 2 pipes out. They travel side by side all the way out to the OEM drivers side cutout in the bumper.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kunkles View Post
    Not necessarily. I have duals no X pipe yet, however they share a single magnaflow, 2 pipes in, 2 pipes out. They travel side by side all the way out to the OEM drivers side cutout in the bumper.
    Interesting. I had wondered about that. I have zero obsession w having to have the M5 / Camaro / Pickituptruck dual-on-either-side look so if a snug dual parallel like that works i might want to consider it for my next exhaust work. Do you have pix posted somewhere Kinkles?
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    E39 540I, C5 Allroad
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Interesting. I had wondered about that. I have zero obsession w having to have the M5 / Camaro / Pickituptruck dual-on-either-side look so if a snug dual parallel like that works i might want to consider it for my next exhaust work. Do you have pix posted somewhere Kinkles?

Not yet, but I should have it on the lift this weekend for a radiator job, I can snag some then.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i 6speed

i pretty much had this set up but i gained better performance by adding a ypip and the tail end going to one muffler.
    540i 6spd DUDMD tuned-weekend brute, sounds like an M5 throaty V8 "Vtec-ish" cam noise.

Hummer- 35inch MT's, Adventure offroad package.

check out my video gear
    https://kit.co/Lv5multimedia/mobile-videographer-set-up

Best Oil hands down for bmw
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...1441c0abde2552

My Cars
    E39 540I, C5 Allroad
    Quote Originally Posted by vien View Post
    i pretty much had this set up but i gained better performance by adding a ypip and the tail end going to one muffler.
    I'm curious about that, as I have always been under the impression (Domestic world thoughts) that dual with a X pipe will always be better then a single pipe. You say better performance, as indicated by a wheel dyno or butt dyno? I accept either lol

My Cars
    E21,E38,E39,F10 M5
    I'm not sure how that related to what I was answering. You have twin pipes all the way out to the normal driver side cutout as compared to 2-1 outlet stock configuration. The x-pipe is for M5's that have dual exhausts. I have never seen a 2-in-2 out resonator pipe for non-M5 driver side only outlet or a 2 pipe in exhaust

My Cars
    2000 BMW 540i 6 Speed
    Here is mine. 2.5 in header back dual exhaust.

No muffler. No resonators. No cats. Gutted header precats.

https://youtu.be/F1a3W24mgJk

My Cars
    E21,E38,E39,F10 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by borii View Post
    Here is mine. 2.5 in header back dual exhaust.

No muffler. No resonators. No cats. Gutted header precats.

https://youtu.be/F1a3W24mgJk
    You basically have 0 backpressure with this setup, and may be reducing performance of the engine. If your engine had a turbo, it would be excellent, but not so great for NA or supercharger setups due to no scavenging. The sound is a bit rough sounding as well, you need at the very least a decent exhaust muffler.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 540i 6 Speed
    I have zero concern for back pressure. It is the most overstated myth Since cars were modified. It almost exclusively pushes the power up the band. There will be a loss of immediate low end grunt. That doesn't bother be as a car with 300 lb/ft has plenty to spare.

2.5 inches is not excessive for an n/a V8 vehicle by any stretch of the imagination. It is actually a good balance.

Dyno after dyno on almost all v8 cars will show that. Scavenging is mainly (not exclusively done) by the headers which won't be stock soon enough. The only dyno I'm concerned with is the 1/4.

My Cars
    00 M5 / 99 540i
    Have you ran that 1/4 mile dyno yet?
    2000 Silverstone/Silverstone M5 1/34

My Cars
    2000 BMW 540i 6 Speed
    No sir, waiting on fixing my valve cover vacuum/oil leak. Although, I will probably run it next weekend regardless since I usually do a full mod after mod or "fix after fix" comparison. I did one thread on my 06 Mustang GT. Part by part, tenth by tenth lol. Videos for most.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by Cereal View Post
    Have you ran that 1/4 mile dyno yet?
    Love that terminology!

My Cars
    E39 540I, C5 Allroad
    I'm not sure how that related to what I was answering. You have twin pipes all the way out to the normal driver side cutout as compared to 2-1 outlet stock configuration. The x-pipe is for M5's that have dual exhausts. I have never seen a 2-in-2 out resonator pipe for non-M5 driver side only outlet or a 2 pipe in exhaust
    Exuse me please, I forgot you said you where doing a Y pipe. Disregard.

I have zero concern for back pressure. It is the most overstated myth Since cars were modified. It almost exclusively pushes the power up the band. There will be a loss of immediate low end grunt. That doesn't bother be as a car with 300 lb/ft has plenty to spare.

2.5 inches is not excessive for an n/a V8 vehicle by any stretch of the imagination. It is actually a good balance.

Dyno after dyno on almost all v8 cars will show that. Scavenging is mainly (not exclusively done) by the headers which won't be stock soon enough. The only dyno I'm concerned with is the 1/4.
    Truth.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 540i 6 Speed
    Quote Originally Posted by tptrsn View Post
    Love that terminology!
    Haha. Dynos conditions have to be replicated to truly measure small changes. Even if 1/4 mile conditions are varied, the numbers can be dissected objectively yet.

My Cars
    2000 540i SC'd | 2001 M5
    You basically have 0 backpressure with this setup, and may be reducing performance of the engine. If your engine had a turbo, it would be excellent, but not so great for NA or supercharger setups due to no scavenging. The sound is a bit rough sounding as well, you need at the very least a decent exhaust muffler.

Backpressure is restriction of airflow through an engine. LESS backpressure ALWAYS means more torque and power. Reduction in power due to reduction in backpressure is simply an issue of tuning. There are no exceptions to this rule. An engine is an air pump. Restriction of its ability to pump air (backpressure) means it cannot burn as much fuel and cannot create as much power. In the perfect world, an engine would have zero backpressure.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgnms View Post
    LESS backpressure ALWAYS means more torque and power. Reduction in power due to reduction in backpressure is simply an issue of tuning. There are no exceptions to this rule. An engine is an air pump. Restriction of its ability to pump air (backpressure) means it cannot burn as much fuel and cannot create as much power. In the perfect world, an engine would have zero backpressure.
    Well, there is scavenging through pressure waves and resonance and velocity and all of that other fancy mumbo jumbo to take into account, that could conceivably complicate your statements here. My experience indicates it's very complicated, and sometimes if you simply go toward reducing back pressure it can yield negative results even if you get the fueling and ignition optimized afterward.

My Cars
    2000 540i SC'd | 2001 M5
    Scavenging and tuning velocity of exhaust gases are tactics to reduce backpressure.

If modifying an exhaust system causes a loss of power at some point in the RPM range even after proper tuning then the answer is simple...it means you have increased backpressure at that rpm range. It could be that finely tuned scavenging characteristics were disrupted, velocity was changed or any number of things that caused an increase in backpressure.

Backpressure is always bad for power. There have been, are none, and never will be any exceptions to this rule.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast