Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Project "eBay E36"

My Cars
    E34, E36, E36/7
    the 15" basketweaves i'm running 205/50

the 16" basketweaves i'm running 205/55 i think.

So it's been a while since i've updated, and in that time i've managed to go to my first event and spend most of my time spinning out in the grass. Still, had a blast and can't wait to do it again.

A shot of my worst engine mount. I never uploaded this before so here it is.

2015.08.22 motor mount by George, on Flickr

I wanted to do something unique on my car for fun, after all it's essentially a drift missile. So i picked up some cheap rattle cans and tape and turned my rear wheels into something out of a demolition derby.

2015.09.03 taping the rears by George, on Flickr

2015.09.03 painted rear wheels by George, on Flickr

Had to get up bright and early yesterday and head out to the track. We're about 90 minutes from it so it wasn't too bad of a drive.

2015.09.05 heading out to RPM by George, on Flickr

Got unloaded and ready for tech inspection.

2015.09.05 getting ready to tech by George, on Flickr

No pictures of me in action yet. Waiting for photographers to upload them and such. Overall i had a blast. The course was pretty fast, at least being my first one. First corner entry was about 60mph which put me at around 5000. No hydro meant i was using feint entry and it took a bit to get the hang of. My entries were starting to get consistent but I'm having issues with the transition to the next drift. It's something that i'm sure will come with practice. By the time i started loosening up and getting a feel for the drift, my front tires started to go. The less grip i had in the front the worse my entries were and i started just pushing more than drifting. Trying to compensate by rolling on he throttle just caused massive oversteer and i ended up in the grass or spinning out. Also being 95 degrees and humid caused me to get tired quickly so i'd have to exit for breaks and water. Despite the negatives, it was by far the best time i've ever had behind the wheel of a car. There's so many people who talk down on drifting like it's some kind of lesser motorsport. Those people are clearly speaking out of ignorance. I sweat my ass off and can't wait to go back and do it again in a month.

For the next event, i doubt i'll have time but there's a few things i'd like to do.

-Stiffen up the rear end. The progressive springs aren't doing it for me and i need something properly stiff (heh) to keep the rear end from rolling so much and causing snap oversteer.
    -Bucket seat is ABSOLUTELY needed. The e36 seats aren't bad for a regular road course event, but the shifting from side to side caused me to slide all over the place
    -hydro brake. If i can swing it, i'd like to get an ASD brake installed and ready to go. I'd like to continue learning without one because i truly feel i'll become a better driver if i learn to use the car's weight rather than rely on a hydro, but given that the transitions were my achilles heel, a hydro might help me control things a bit better.

In reality, none of those will probably happen since i've only got a month before the next event. The next event will be where i decide if i'm going to continue to pursue drifting with the e36, or just wait until my e34 is ready to go and try again then.

OH there was a bit of damage from the event. I'm missing a few fins on my oil pan, there's a small dent in my front sway bar after hitting the outside edge of the track at an unfortunate angle, and...well...

2015.09.05 carnage from the event by George, on Flickr

My fog light is somewhere out in the grass
    13 Grand Cherokee Limited V8 - Daily Driver - Wife
    97 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    95 325i Sedan - Project #ebayE36
    90 BMW 535i/5 - i should probably work on this again...

My Cars
    none
    I think your best bet would be focusing on a seat, it really makes a massive difference in car feel, also go on ebay and people sell used coil over springs (2.5in diameter) all the time for less than half priced. I paid $60 for my 750lb/in H&R springs. I got my 2 corbuea fx1 with brackets for $400 so just keep an eye out on craigslist man.

IG: dimitriantoniou

My Cars
    E34, E36, E36/7
    Thanks. What length of rear Springs? I see people saying 5.5 to 6" but that seems really short.
    97 Z3 2.8 Roadster

My Cars
    none
    I went 6 inch and with an adjuster that would be great but my cars really low and I don't run an adjuster, so i think you'd be fine with 6-7 depending on your ride hight

My Cars
    E34, E36, E36/7
    i have an adjuster. so i guess 6" should be fine. thanks. i'll keep an eye out.
    97 Z3 2.8 Roadster

My Cars
    E34, E36, E36/7
    some pics are starting to show up from the event. i'll post what i can find of me.

2015.09.05 drifting. Cr.scrapeyard by George, on Flickr

97 Z3 2.8 Roadster

My Cars
    E34, E36, E36/7
    September 12, 2015

Got a pair of eibach 750lb 6" springs and installed them.

2015.09.12 eibach 750lb by George, on Flickr

The difference between these and the progressive rate ones i was running is night and day. While i love how they feel when driving aggressively, i'm not sure how much i can handle as a DD. This may be the difference between daily driving my drift car, and turning it into a track only machine. The next event is confirmed on October 3, how the car feels then, despite my crappy driving ability, will dictate whether i keep the car for drift, or turn it into just a fun DD.

OH i also threw on the 17s to see how it feels.

2015.09.12 side shot after eibachs by George, on Flickr
    97 Z3 2.8 Roadster

My Cars
    none
    Im running the same springs (cut one coil off) and I really can't say they ride that bad. But they are defiantly more harsh than my race land springs i had. What rear shocks are you running?

My Cars
    E34, E36, E36/7
    yeah they're riding okay, just not as smooth as the progressives. shocks are whatever crap shipped with the ebay coilover set. they're doing fine for now.

i'm running the height adjuster at about 1/2 and its sitting right about where i want it. i may go about an inch lower front and rear. we'll see.
    97 Z3 2.8 Roadster

My Cars
    E34, E36, E36/7
    Some footage my wife captured of me sucking it up. Had fun though, so I don't care too much how bad it looks.

97 Z3 2.8 Roadster

My Cars
    E34, E36, E36/7
    Picked up this little guy for the event coming up on Oct 3.

2015.09.18 GoPro Hero HD by George, on Flickr
    97 Z3 2.8 Roadster

My Cars
    93 325is, 91 535i
    Sweet build! Subbed

My Cars
    E34 540i, R34 GTT
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterMX6 View Post
    While i love how they feel when driving aggressively, i'm not sure how much i can handle as a DD. This may be the difference between daily driving my drift car, and turning it into a track only machine. The next event is confirmed on October 3, how the car feels then, despite my crappy driving ability, will dictate whether i keep the car for drift, or turn it into just a fun DD.
    I thought this was a drift only build to start with.

The amount of rust alone I thought meant you only wanted it as a drift pig.

Seeing as you have enough other cars (going off signature) I say dedicate this to a driftcar, strip the unnecessary parts like heater core, air con, interior, you've already started by removing one of the fog lights, but mainly just stiffen the suspension up, solid mount the rear subframe, stiff springs and uprated swaybars, along with the seat and a hydro handbrake that you mentioned, and you have a great base to work with.

My Cars
    E34, E36, E36/7
    its combo DD/drift slut for now. considering it's the only car i've had in the past 4 years with working a/c and the rest of the car is perfectly fine aside from rust, and being that it's a sedan, i haven't decided if i'm going to keep it or sell it and get a coupe.

Oh and of the other cars in my sig, the e46 is the only one currently driveable. the jeep would be, if the trans didn't start leaking last month. should be an easy fix with just a gasket or something, but until i get that done the e36 and e46 are the two cars we use, and the e46 is automatic so that's my wife's.
    Last edited by JesterMX6; 09-25-2015 at 08:33 AM.
    97 Z3 2.8 Roadster

My Cars
    98 323
    OP:

1. i'm totes stealing your paint scheme for your rear wheels. that shit is dope

2. can you weld? when i was in the middle of ripping my interior apart i found an interesting way to mount a hydraulic hand brake

the plate i have the master cylinder mounted on is what the airbag computer used to bolt to. the shitty weld onto the body is 100% necessary though, it was flexing like crazy without it and would've most likely ended tearing itself out

for $10 in materials (excluding the cost of the master cylinder) it can't be beat though
    Last edited by jalopi; 09-30-2015 at 09:54 PM.

My Cars
    E34, E36, E36/7
    zero welding skills but that's a very interesting idea. definitely something i'll think about. They're doing a drawing for all drivers after the event on saturday and giving away a handful of prizes, including a couple ASD hydros. If i don't get one of those, your idea may be something worth trying. thanks.
    97 Z3 2.8 Roadster

My Cars
    98 323
    jeez, you guys have events that actually reward the drivers with worthwhile objects? jelly.

even if you win the ASD hydro you'll need to figure out a secure way of mounting it - i've seen store-bought hydro setups before that hardly work due to the amount of flex where it was bolted to. might want to invest in a welder - or - find someone local who'll do it for you. the welding is an easy job, shouldn't be more than $20-30 bucks or a case of beer

My Cars
    E34, E36, E36/7
    my dad can weld up a couple plates onto the trans tunnel for an ASD. which is what i planned on in the first place. if he's too busy i do have a couple friends that'd do it for a case of IPA lol.
    97 Z3 2.8 Roadster

My Cars
    E34, E36, E36/7
    Final event of the season has come and gone. It gave me plenty of time to feel the difference in the car from last month and let me tell you, a stiffer rear suspension made all the difference in the world. I still suck, but at least the car was predictable. Overall it stayed much flatter through all the corners and left me extremely pleased, despite numerous spin-outs, understeers, and off-track snafoos.

I will for sure be keeping the e36 as a drift car. It will slowly lose its DD status and move more and more towards weekend/track status. Only had time to edit one of the cips my wife got so i uploaded that. This alone shows how much flatter the car is staying through the corners.

A few things of note, especially for other noobies, now that the season is done and i've completed 2 events:

-Fk progressive springs. seriously.
    -Running a fan delete with only the a/c fan was plenty to keep the car cool in traffic and on the track on 100+ degree days
    -I need to practice lower speed transitions so i can work my way up to the speeds we're hitting on the track
    -the more i pushed, the easier the initiation was, but the harder the transitions became
    -I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and do some illegal practice in parking lots. there's just no where else to go.
    -no matter how many times i spun out or went off the track, i still had a smile on my face.

the amount of joy i get out of drifting is 100 times more than i ever got out of drag racing. I'll still have fun in a straight line because i think every enthusiast enjoys that feeling of acceleration. but there's truly something special about going sideways that can't be explained, but must be experienced.

Bring on the 2016 season. I can't wait.
    97 Z3 2.8 Roadster

My Cars
    E34, E36, E36/7
    here's the footage of my car form the stands. Still a ways to go, but i'm learning to control the car a little better. high speed transitions are still an issue.

for reference, i initiate anywhere between 55 - 75mph, staying in 3rd gear the entire time. towards the end of the video, i start grabbing 2nd on the very last curve and it seemed to help me steady out at the end, but i end up bouncing off the limiter instead so....its gonna take some more work to nail down my runs.

still working on getting the gopro footage edited and pictures cropped and such.
    97 Z3 2.8 Roadster

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Nice track footage man! Getting it!

As to the problem of the highspeed transition, I think you should take a look at your rear wheel/tire combo. I know you have stiff springs on your coilovers. But what about the tire? If you are using a cheap street tire with a lot of sidewall, you're gonna get a lot of flex in your tire. In other words, energy gets stored in your tire when you load one side, and when you transition to the other, it snaps back and spins the car. Even if you have stiff springs, the tire will act as a spring.

Look into lower profile tires or wider wheels which will allow you to stretch the tire on and force the sidewall to be stiff. This will reduce the amount of energy the tire can absorb, help with your transitions, and help you put your power down.

Just my thoughts! Keep up with the build and the videos!!

My Cars
    E34, E36, E36/7
    thanks.

yeah my first time out i was on 60 series 205s. last time i was on recessed bead 205/55R16s with a slight stretch onto an 8" rim. made a huge difference. Gonna go even lower profile next year because i had that same thought in mind.
    97 Z3 2.8 Roadster

My Cars
    98 323
    i roughly have the same suspension as you do (roughly the same car too)

i won't say that having a small sidewall isn't better, but in the rear i have 205/60's and my car works quite well. then again, i have 235's in the front, so... i guess what i'm trying to say is rock wide ass front wheels/tires and keep on using those cheap ass rear tires until you have more power

a few people drove my car at the last event i went to (i<3drifting included) and they said it was a pretty sweet setup
    Last edited by jalopi; 10-19-2015 at 11:23 AM.

My Cars
    E34, E36, E36/7
    i'm gonna experiment more for sure. there's one corner on my way to work every morning i'm able to "test" the changes on my car. with the stiffer springs, i suddenly was able to control it much better, but the car was still snapping back in a weird way with the 60 series tires. i switched to the shorter wall (slight stretch helps too) and the snap return disappeared. I think with a little more power (or skill) the taller sidewall wouldn't be an issue but at this point i'm going to use the little handicaps i can to keep it sideways. I'm hanging onto the 205/60s for some winter fun too.
    97 Z3 2.8 Roadster

My Cars
    1995 M3
    nailed it!

I watched your car in the videos you posted and saw it getting squirrelly at the transition point. The body was flat, so I know it wasn't because of load on the springs. If the problem got better with a shorter sidewall and a slight stretch, then I think it was your tires causing the problem.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast