View Poll Results: Which one should I chose if price is about same (within $1k)

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • 2008 audi TT 2.0t convertible DSG

1 16.67%
  • 2008 z4 3.0si black/black 55k miles auto tran

3 50.00%
  • 2008 z4 3.0si silver/black 62k miles auto tran

2 33.33%

Thread: Test drove two 2008 Z4 3.0si and 2008 Audi TT 2.0T convertible, some questions

My Cars
    2010 VW Jetta

Question Test drove two 2008 Z4 3.0si and 2008 Audi TT 2.0T convertible, some questions

Hello all. I have owned two Audi A4s (1.8t and 2.0t quattro) as well as a modified 2002 MB c203k coupe. This may be my first BMW

I got to test drive two 2008 Z4 3.0si and 2008 Audi TT 2.0T convertible and I'm hoping I may have some questions answered. I appreciate your constructive criticism and feedback.

**Both Z4s seems to have sun damage around front windshield where the rubber is cracking and/or missing chunks. Is it fairly easy to replace it all around front windshield?

My quick impressions:

Audi TT 2.0t convertible:

PROS: Love the blue pearl metallic, interior is gorgeous and awesome ergonomics, seat position and overall body-shape is easy to get acquainted. I'm familiar with audi/vw 2.0t engine, potential cheap mods for more power, VAGCOM software easy to diag issues. DSG tranny.
    CONS: slight turbo lag, noticeable less power than z4, steering (FWD) feels not as sharp as Z4 and overall handling, FWD.

2008 Z4 3.0si black/black 55K miles automatic tranny:

PROS: In pretty nice shape inside and out. May be loaded version with power convertible top, DVD navigation and memory seats. Drove best out of all 3 and also the cheapest by a few hundred dollars.
    CONS: Carfax shows 3 previous owners and accident report back in 2010 (owner sold it 1+ year later so probably no issues). Been in 3 states. I've had a black/black car before and not crazy about it in TX sun.

2008 Z4 3.0si silver/black 62K miles automatic tranny:

PROS: Similar as above but interior has more wear. Cleaner Carfax on paper with 2 previous owners and no accidents reported. Silver better for TX heat/sun.
    CONS: Higher miles, higher asking price (negotiable), 2nd airbag light on regardless of passenger sitting (dealer will check), No DVD navigation and no memory seats. Steering seems to pull left a bit so may need alignment or suspension issue.

The vehicle will be 2nd car, garaged and will only be driven 20% of time and occasional road trips with the Mrs. Thank you all in advance.

My Cars
    2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
    Hi,

I have a 2006 Z4 3.0i convertible, and a 2008 Audi TT 3.2 AWD coupe, both with 6MT. I use the Z4 for weekends, the TT is my DD and winter car - I live in Canada.....

For me the Z4 feels far more a sports car, it's more challenging to drive well with a tendency to oversteer, far lower to the ground and therefore harder to get in and out of, with the runflats it tramlines on rough roads (but not on smooth ones).

The TT is very much a fun car to drive, far easier to go fast in (front heavy, tends to understeer) but not faster, easier to live with day to day. With the lighter 2.0T engine it would be less front heavy by a bit. It doesn't tramline with runflats under any conditions, and is more relaxing to steer and more has more comfortable suspension - without being sloppy (I have the magnetic suspension package).

Both are very reliable, and relatively easy to fix if you are handy or have a good shop to rely on. Both are excellent cars and to me very different to drive. My wife doesn't like the Z4 nearly as much, doesn't like driving top down (now that's odd I know , finds the suspension too harsh (especially with sport mode engaged), and grumbles about getting in/out and seat comfort (we have the M-seats). Me I prefer the roadster like behaviour of the Z4, but will appreciate the TT in the winter with AWD and more ground clearance. I prefer the Z4 straight six over the TT VR6 by a small margin, but when I test drove the 2.0T it was ok but lacked the passion of the NA 6's.

The windshield rubber is an easy/cheap do it yourself fix.

Enjoy your decision, they are both worthy cars.....
    2006 Z4 3.0i 6MT
    Jet Black 2 + Dream Red Oregon Leather

My Cars
    '05 ZHP, '16 Golf R
    TT isn't quattro? OUT!
    '08 Z4 M Coupé LM08602
    '19 Golf R

My Cars
    2008 BMW Z4 rdstr

Smile

Within the last month, I purchased my first BMW (Z4 3.0i) too. A 2008 with 86K miles, auto transmission with minor accident on RF several years ago. Here's what I've encountered doing a basic restoration which may help in your search.

First, check A/C operation. Replace A/C compressor (at dealer) ran $2500 (avoid dealer if you can $$$$). Second, Pax airbag warning lite means big expense. Best price I've found for just the seat sensor (that's usually what's wrong) is $1800 just for the part. Labor going to be expensive as seat must be taken apart. Third, suspension bushings worn out, all rubber hoses swollen from age and oil contact, replace expansion tank, serpentine belt replacement and repair of oil leak (cam position sensor 'O' ring leaking) all cost $1400 (I found a excellent foreign car shop to do this vs dealer that wanted like $4K). Fourth, BMW OEM radio works but no volume control (repair or replace w/ OEM costly). I had a Alpine unit installed which works just fine and has BT for hands free phone for about $300. Pretty much plug in with adapter and faceplate. Fifth, had expert body shop go in and properly redo old accident butcher repair, needed two new driving lights, straighten and fit brackets and braces correctly. Cost was about $700. Final is not yet started (next week), but estimate to recover leather drivers seat (passenger seat looks like new) is around $500. Key FOB not working, replacement runs about $500 at dealer (be careful of Ebay or Amazon replacements as most report they don't work. I undertook replacing just the FOB battery which is quite a job, it didn't work either.
    I elected not to do the very expensive passenger seat sensor replacement and ordered a emulator that puts out the light but doesn't fix the bad sensor. ($30) This takes care of the initial items and I've got a machine in good shape for daily driving or weekend jaunts.

Hope this gives you some guidance on things to look for with this vintage Z4 from my experience. Note the car came with recent new tires and drove very well even before starting repairs. Oil leaks around filter had also been repaired prior to my buying it.