Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do ya'll feel about an Alcantara steering wheel...

My Cars
    E38

How do ya'll feel about an Alcantara steering wheel...

Thinking about buying one this week. Example:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BMW-e38-e...-/261350432782

I can't decide whether I'd like it in an e38. I'm also going to redo the headliner in black alcantara, so maybe it'll go with the theme. I'm not trying to make me e38 look too modded or customized or tacky, but it seems like everyone LOVES to hold on to the alcantara on a steering wheel and it seems to come in many high end cars.
    E38 M Sport 6 Speed MANUAL

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    See comments from Timm...he has a steering wheel with alcantara. The biggest complaints is usually about how it wears. It's better in areas that don't get a lot of hand or other contact which keeps it nice and fuzzy (pretty too look at).

(it can look like this after a few years if not taken care of)
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 05-31-2015 at 05:06 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    E38
    Actually, it's fairly simple to revive alcantara. I've done a bit of research on the whole "leather vs. alcantara" thing. Preventative maintenance is easy too: just give a quick wipe with a damp rag every once in a while. People who have taken care of them can keep them in like-new condition.

I never noticed that Timm has an alcantara wheel! I need to find this...

- - - Updated - - -

I just wasn't sure if it fit the character of an e38, you know? In a track focused car? Yes. In an ultra high end luxury sedan? Yes. In a 20 year old car? Eh.

- - - Updated - - -

After looking for it, I can't seem to find Timm's

My Cars
    E36 M3, 530i, STI TypeR
    IMHO it just looks wrong in an E38. It's not a M3 CSL.
    2002 530i M-Sport, 1996 Euro E36 M3 Coupé, 2000 Subaru Impreza Sti Type R jdm

My Cars
    E38
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbovin View Post
    IMHO it just looks wrong in an E38. It's not a M3 CSL.
    Those were my first thoughts, but:

Alcantara is also luxurious. Look at a high end headliner.

My Cars
    E38
    I think I'm about to pull the trigger! A deep black Alcantara wheel with tri color M stitching. It's a bit thicker than stock sport too.

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Everyone I know who has ever had one told me never to get one.. My boss rarely drives his Lambo's but he hates the alcantara wheels and said they go to $hit really quickly.

My Cars
    '01 740i, '93 300ZX TT
    Unless the car came with it, I would never EVER get one for the simple fact that steering wheels and our hands in general are always dirty, or sweaty, or germ infested. I don't mean to sound like a germaphobe but think about it this way... When was the last time you cleaned your steering wheel, or even shifter?

My Cars
    Jet Black BMW 740i Sport
    Never understood Alcantara for a steering wheel. It is extremely sensitive to dirt and oil and since your hands are full of both, its no good.

My Cars
    E38
    I actually persistently clean my steering wheel because I always like to keep it in that like-new condition. It just looks and feels so great. But in my e38, the leather has worn off so much so that it takes no time at all for it to get greasy because the leather is stripped away. I've been doing a lot of research on the Alcantara and it looks like you just need to stay on top of maintenance with it. MY concern is how it looks in an e38. I'm still a bit unsure. It might be tacky.

My Cars
    2001 750iL Sport
    Sounds like you want it. Get it, it's your car

Buck - 2001 750iL
    3.15 Sport Rear Differential - M-Sport Steering Wheel - Bi-Xenon Headlights
    B&G Lowering Springs - M-Sport Seats - 15mm Spacers - Muffler Delete

My Cars
    1997 750 IL
    meh for alcantra and meh for sport wheels in a luxo barge (tx for that binjammin)

A new wood leather OEM wheel is the perfect match.
    ---- Processing Individual ----
    Z1XX Upholstery
    Seats front and back in Epingle / leather englishgruen,
    As Schl.Nr. B9EG.
    Front seat backrest in Montana Englishgruen (No. 8 174 861)
    Other interior equipment as for Volleder Nappa englischgruen,
    Schl.Nr. P5EG

My Cars
    Formerly 03' 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by RVAE34 View Post
    Everyone I know who has ever had one told me never to get one.. My boss rarely drives his Lambo's but he hates the alcantara wheels and said they go to $hit really quickly.
    +1 generally Alcantara is great everywhere expect your hands.

Even a friend of mine who almost 100% wears leather gloves, still got some annoying wear on his DD M5.

Personally i would love alcantara for a car i almost never drove, ie. Lambo., but it is a bad decision for a DD car.
    2003 BMW 540i [Sterling Gray / Gray]
    [Msport] [Mods from A-Z] [Two-Tone Interior]

Stuff For Sale :
    All types of E39 OEM Used HVAC Buttons
    Other E39 Parts, see my ebay! [Click]

My Cars
    E38
    I think I'm going to go for it and I'll be the one who can account for wear and tear first hand! I take meticulous care of my cars (especially the steering wheels), so I can't see it being a huge issue.

My Cars
    1999 750i 1995 740i
    Post up some pics when you get it installed. I'm not convinced I'd have it in an E38. To small and looks like is made of plastic.

As is normally the case you'll post pics. It'll look great and I'll be wrong..lol
    95 740i 99 750i

My Cars
    E38
    Quote Originally Posted by kulgan View Post
    Post up some pics when you get it installed. I'm not convinced I'd have it in an E38. To small and looks like is made of plastic.

As is normally the case you'll post pics. It'll look great and I'll be wrong..lol
    Just placed the order!

AquilaBMW is offline Mad Bimmerist BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    Had one before, would not do it again... especially for a daily driver.

My Cars
    Too grippy and delicate for my taste, especially on a steering wheel. Headliner or pillars, maybe, anything I touch daily, not for me.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by shanecarmaster1 View Post
    After looking for it, I can't seem to find Timm's
    Is Timm even over here? I go back and forth between the e38/e39/53 forums on BimFest/BimFor/BimBrd/Xoutpost...that I can't keep track of who is where...especially when some of us appear on multiple forums. Perhaps Timm is over on BimFest(??)?

But I see you took the plunge...so looking up Timm's steering wheel is moot. Good luck with it...as Buck stated...if you like it...that's all that matters.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    E38
    I have a way of hooking things up It'll look great I think, even if it sounds a certain way right now to some people. Caring for it is the least of my problems because I'm always cleaning my steering wheel.

My Cars
    E38
    Might as well post this here as well:

My Cars
    01 750 Sport "Angel"
    I think it looks great. Hope that it holds up well for you, but the way you take care of your car it sounds like it will for years to come. Congrats

Avenging Angel: 2001 750iL Sport Schwartz II Metallic, too many upgrades to list here..
    Kirsa: 2000 750iL Biarritz Blau Metallic, Born on 11/99. Sold 12/21/13

The Mistress: 1997 744iL Biarritz Blau Metallic, Sold 6/7/12. You will be missed Baby..

My Cars
    E38
    Thanks!! And it does look better in person. Coming soon is my black alcantara headliner to match, so it'll play off even better.

My Cars
    2007 Alpina B7
    Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
    See comments from Timm...he has a steering wheel with alcantara. The biggest complaints is usually about how it wears. It's better in areas that don't get a lot of hand or other contact which keeps it nice and fuzzy (pretty too look at).

(it can look like this after a few years if not taken care of)
    I have an Alcantara suede steering wheel. Ive owned mine now 2 years. 1st the picture of that wheel? Lol that SOB never cleaned his and was ruff with it. Mine still looks new.
    Now there is an up keep, just like taking care of your paint or interior.
    Key points of responsibility
    The suede should always" ALWAYS" feel nappy or fuzzy. The suede gets ruined by SWEAT,Food, oil and crap off your dirty hands.
    Once it starts to feel smooth, its time to clean,
    1st start by getting laundry detergent and mix it in a small bowl. Grab a tooth brush and clean in little circles. It will lift the dirt and pad dry the suede. Dont saturated with soap/water and dont rub hard or you will make the suede bleed.
    Let it air dry overnight...Next day use a clean dry toothbrush and go over the dry suede...Is back to NEw status.....Very durable the material is.. Whats nice driving with Alcantara its when ur aggressive, your hands naturally sweat with adrenaline, your getting a strong grip of the wheel...Love my Alcantara wheel
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cazal740i; 06-22-2015 at 01:03 AM.
    2000 740i Sport

My Cars
    E38
    Very good looking wheel there, especially with the paddles. I'd love to do those one day, but I don't have any access to coding software and I don't know if I want to mess around with things.

It really is a shame that these alcantara wheels don't photograph well because they look killer in person. Mine really changed my interior. The headliner is going to increase it 10 fold.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast