Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: S54 in euro M3 E36

Do you have the S54 pressure regulator (integral with filter)? The standard E36 pump works fine on mine, although the original pump did get weak at around 80K miles.

While you are replacing the fuel pump, if it is going to be a track car you should probably go ahead and install the dual pump setup to prevent starvation.
    '95 M3 S54 Track Toy
    '19 X5 40i M-Sport
    '16 Cayman GT4
    ‘23 GR Corolla

My Cars
    Euro M3 E36 3.0
    Yes, I have the S54 pressure regulator. But I guess that the E36 pump is regulated at 3,5 bar, since there is no other regulator on the lines in the E36?

If the pump does not get more than 3,5 out, the 5 bar regulator does not anything no?

On U.S. models, at least, the E36 regulator is on the fuel rail. I'm getting about 4.5 bar downstream of the S54 regulator with my stock pump if I recall correctly, and it is flowing enough to make over 320 rwhp.
    '95 M3 S54 Track Toy
    '19 X5 40i M-Sport
    '16 Cayman GT4
    ‘23 GR Corolla

My Cars
    '97 Hellrot euro M3 SMG & '93 dakar yellow euro M3
    Quote Originally Posted by ulmi View Post
    This night I maybe found the problem, I kept the original E36 fuel pump, wich is only rated at 3,5 bar, and the S54 need 5, so this is maybe why the engine runs too lean.

This is the first thing I'll try, and the fuel pump on the car has about 21 years and more than 120k miles on it, so it's the time, I'm thinking about putting a Walbro.

And the other thing, I get a Fault code about the fuel pump relay, I thought it was caused by the swap itself and the "mixed" harness, but now when I read here some topic about S54 swap, some says that they put the e46 fuel pump relay (EKP), and I didn't do that.
    I run the stock E36 pump but have a second one added, the bimmerworld kit.

Fuelpressure is not the problem. I have the S54 separate regulator as well and it will just regulate it up to 5 bar. On the original S50B30 engine the regulator is at the rail, similar to the US cars.

Also, if running lean was an issue then it would show most at redline not midrange.

Back in the day we built 3 similar cars, at one we tried using the E36 S50B32 pump as that is also rated for 5 bar instead of 3.5 bar and it didnt make a single difference.

Like I said, for me it was a software issue because we run without post cat 02's etc. A proper software tune gave me an additional 40 HP.
    E36 M3 S50B32 daily - E36 M3 S54 trackcar

They Say Money Talks, All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye

My Cars
    Euro M3 E36 3.0
    Yes, you're probably right, thanks for advice.

The regulator is on the fuel rail on the S50B30, I didn't remember that, but that's true

My DME is programmed for a swap, including the post cat O2 sensors delete, but maybe that's not made correctly.
    I'm not against doing a good dyno tune, but I prefer to be sure that's there isn't any mecanical problem before.

My Cars
    2 x Euro-spec E36 M3s
    Interesting build. I've also got a 3.0L Euro, and I've got to figure out the path for more power. It's mainly a track car, but gets driven to the track, so I'd like something that integrates well.

How happy are you with the swap? Significantly more performance than stock?

My Cars
    Euro M3 E36 3.0
    Hi, yes it's really more powerful.
    But I find the S54 has a lot of weak points, the S50 not.

I'm in trouble with something, and I don't find what.

We re-did the timing alignement, and found that the vanos splined shafts were inverted, one is longer than the other.
    The vanos test with the DIS was then good.

So I decided to run on the dyno again, and was expecting a beautiful curve...

... and this was not the case ... :o

The engine was more powerful with an incorrect timing and the vanos incorrectly mounted!

Next thing, I'll check the injectors, and if nothing is wrong with them I'll burn the car

My Cars
    1998 e36
    Your air intake system is very bad. You must use stock air intake from 2001-2002 Z3M. That is your problem

Like this:

My Cars
    Euro M3 E36 3.0
    Finding a Z3M airbox was not easy.
    I used the E46 one, that was a little bit tricky. But now it's in. The DME location is very bad, but I don't see any solution to put it somewhere else without buying the Z3M harness.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Why not use a Z3M S54 harness? You could then install the DME in the actual E36 DME location by the passenger side. In the E46 chassis, the DME is located under the brake booster and hence why E46 S54 harness is short for an E36 chassis with stock DME location. Hopefully, you'd still be able to plug in all the harness with plenty of room in it.

My Cars
    Euro M3 E36 3.0
    Because I don't have an unlimited budget
    But if it was to be done again, I'd definitely buy it.

My Cars
    '97 Hellrot euro M3 SMG & '93 dakar yellow euro M3
    One issue with these engines are the ignition coils, if you still use Bremi switch them to Bosch. I had issues with them, all of a sudden it was running on 4 cylinders.

And I cant say this enough but have somebody that knows these DME's inside out check the software. Mine had swap software on it as well, and the tables where literally all over the place. My buddy's cars that used the same software had similar issues. And I spoke with a guy from the UK that used swap/conversion software from a well known tuner there and it was simply totally crap as well. Fuelling all over the place, misfires etc etc. All of them were scratching their heads, changing parts, fuelpumps etc etc but it were simply software issues.

I use a similar intake setup with a cylinder filter and that's not the problem. However I want to give that Z3M filter a try someday as I just exceed the sound limit on some tracks.
    Last edited by =BA=; 03-25-2016 at 05:03 AM.
    E36 M3 S50B32 daily - E36 M3 S54 trackcar

They Say Money Talks, All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye

My Cars
    Euro M3 E36 3.0
    So, the little one faces her destiny...

This time, if it doesn't work, I'll burn it!

And... no! :p

A beautiful curve, both power and torque. At the mid-rpm, I "won" over 40hp over before, where the engine was not running as it should.

It collapses at the end, we were embarrassed by the speed limiter, the DME was coded as stock (thanks to hakentt ), except the little things necessary for the swap..

So we did a test in 4th gear instead of 5th:

A little bit more than 250 rwhp, so like a stock M3 E46. I'm happy

Now it's ok, i'll just delete the speed limiter and I'll not touch anything else.

It works, it's stock, it's tempting to try to win some power, but I prefer to stay full stock to keep reliability. It's already much more powerful than the 3.0

So, I'll not burn it, I could not really try it, it was always raining...

Now, I'm looking for unicorns, a Z3M airbox and a Z3M harness to finish that as clean as possible, but I think I'll have to buy it from the stealer.

Last edited by ulmi; 04-29-2016 at 06:16 AM.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Sounds like you're happy now. That's good to know. Yeah, I've mentioned it before that using a Z3M harness would be a better option and it will definitely look cleaner than before.

My Cars
    BMW m3 e36 1994
    Nice work...
    BUT, my e36 3.0 on the best maha lps dyno have clean 230whp. Looses on e36 is 70bhp in rotational parts. 230+70=300bhp. Standard on euro e36 m3 3.0. You miss 20hp somewhere. Maybe intake?

Picture bellow show your front brakes. This pads cover only 2/3 disk surface. Whats the point?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ocrvaw3d4UM Dont drive over limited speed!!! Drive safely......

My Cars
    Euro M3 E36 3.0
    Hi, I finally ordered a Z3M harness and airbox, it's on the way to get on the car.

The brake setup is a "cheap" kit, from Off Camber Autosport. another guy just put it on his track car: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...2#post29098192

My Cars
    Euro M3 E36 3.0

All is clean and at the correct place, I'm loving it

Last thing, I'll maybe paint the strut bar another way, it's the only thing that doesn't look OEM!

My Cars
    Euro M3 E36 3.0
    Hi, I did not update since a while, so here are some news, I finally painted the bar in black:

(sorry don't have best pictures)

I got fed up with ridiculous brakes so I put something reliable, lap after lap, after laps...:

I put some uugly wheels because the OEM M3 ones does not fit anymore with these calipers, and I wanted to stay on 17 inches, so these were stupid cheap and just in my aera.

And a little video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxaUeglAn8Y

Now, I'm at the end of my crappy suspension setup, something better is coming soon!

My Cars
    skateboard
    Sweet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    Euro M3 E36 3.0
    Hi, here are some new pictures.
    And I went with ST XTA coilovers, and Treehouse Arm bushes.

- - - Updated - - -

Some underside pics ...

- - - Updated - - -

And a little video of my last track day of the year: https://youtu.be/y_6OLa3niuk I'm not able to follow my friend... but always have a lot of fun!

- - - Updated - - -

And now, it's time for winter training https://youtu.be/FkXNf7VIS5w

My Cars
    Euro M3 E36 3.0
    Hi, some laps at Spa Francorchamps

https://youtu.be/6ZVG69RYxho

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12