Thread: 2015 BMW 435xi Convertible vs. 2011 BMW 335is Convertible

My Cars
    2006 Acura TL

2015 BMW 435xi Convertible vs. 2011 BMW 335is Convertible

Hey Everyone,
    This is my first post here. I am not a current BMW owner, but hope to have one soon. I am interested in a BMW convertible (ideally, all-wheel drive).

Right now, I am torn between buying new and used. There is a 2011 BMW 335is convertible with 26K miles that I will be test driving shortly. Asking price is $38,000. Manufacturer's 4 yr/50K mile warranty is almost expired. I am also considering getting a new(er) BMW 435xi. This would have the all wheel drive, some additional features, and a brand new warranty; the catch, obviously, is that it comes with a lot higher of a price tag.

Any advice or suggestions?

Thanks in advance. Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by NeedBMWNow View Post
    Hey Everyone, This is my first post here. I am not a current BMW owner, but hope to have one soon. I am interested in a BMW convertible (ideally, all-wheel drive). Right now, I am torn between buying new and used. There is a 2011 BMW 335is convertible with 26K miles that I will be test driving shortly. Asking price is $38,000. Manufacturer's 4 yr/50K mile warranty is almost expired. I am also considering getting a new(er) BMW 435xi. This would have the all wheel drive, some additional features, and a brand new warranty; the catch, obviously, is that it comes with a lot higher of a price tag. Any advice or suggestions? Thanks in advance. Much appreciated.
    No way I'd buy a used BMW convertible; just asking for expensive issues. Just bad money.

If saving money is a legit concern, you shouldn't buy German. The Exx 3 series were marred with issues and they are expensive out of warranty.

If you can't afford a new 2 or 4 series convertible with the full warranty, either drop the convertible (pun) requirement, or choose another brand. You can also buy a BMW extended warranty for the used car. That would be a minimum requirement.

Convertibles are no different than any other car, other than they have a moveable top.

That said, there are nice, well maintained vehicles, and there are ragged, run down vehicles.

The problem is determining which one is which.

On ANY used BMW, make sure you start out with a PPI done at a reputable shop, either dealership or independent. The $100-200 cost is cheap insurance.

Next, attempt to get the service history from the seller. Some individuals keep every service document on a car. If buying from a BMW dealer, demand to see the car's official service history or walk away. Some dealerships will comply, and others won't. Assume bad things in the cases where dealerships aren't forthcoming with that information. A Carfax can be useful, but there are several ways these reports may not be valid. Translation: bad Carfax = bad vehicle, but good Carfax doesn't = good vehicle.

Lastly, a BMW is a LUX vehicle. That translates into LUX pricing for parts and service, if you're paying others to do repairs. Keep some coin back when you're buying, just in case you win the "broken down car" lottery.

Good luck in your search!

My Cars
    '14 328xi Sport Line
    I didn't price it out, and maybe that's the KBB market price, but $38,000 for a 4 year old, prior generation car seems like robbery to me.

My Cars
    98 M Rdstr
    Quote Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
    I didn't price it out, and maybe that's the KBB market price, but $38,000 for a 4 year old, prior generation car seems like robbery to me.

The E93 IS was top of the line without moving to the M3. It would have been $62-70k new.

'98 RMS stage 2+++++(491whp/390tq VAC cams, CES Cutring-9:1, Built blower, Meth etc)
    '09 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt 1 of 1(Built Motor, Brembos, LSD, the works!)
    '22 Cadillac CT4-V BlackWing 6mt
    '22 Cadillac CT4 2.0T Sport AWD (wife's)