Thread: Steering wheel adjustment

My Cars
    1998 bmw 840ci sport

Question Steering wheel adjustment

Just bought a 1998 840i sport. An odd problem in that the electric steering column adjustment works the wrong way round ie if you pull the lever down the steering column moves up. If you pull it towards you the steering column moves away and when you switch off the ignition the column moves down instead of up? It feels like something is wired the wrong way round but what????

My Cars
    840Ci|725tds|Alpina B7
    Mine spontaneously reversed itself 5 or 6 years ago, and I still haven't figured it out. I am thinking seat memory module. It's the only thing I haven't tried. No fault codes stored and it runs the calibration procedure just fine in DIS. The wiring is not the issue. Mirrors and seat controls can do this sometimes as well (all controlled by the memory module under the driver's seat) and there are a few threads on the subject - one being mine when my steering column started doing what yours is.

My Cars
    1997 840Ci
    Mine did the same until I swapped out the module on top of the heater housing. Lever operation was only reversed for the first time then back to normal until ignition was turned off, and no raising of steering wheel just a motor sound (probably in the opposite direction)

My Cars
    BMW 850i, Yamaha V-Star 1100, 1952 Willys M-38
    Quote Originally Posted by olinjohnston View Post
    Mine spontaneously reversed itself 5 or 6 years ago, and I still haven't figured it out. I am thinking seat memory module. It's the only thing I haven't tried. No fault codes stored and it runs the calibration procedure just fine in DIS. The wiring is not the issue. Mirrors and seat controls can do this sometimes as well (all controlled by the memory module under the driver's seat) and there are a few threads on the subject - one being mine when my steering column started doing what yours is.
    The memory module is on top of the heater housing behind the center consol not under the seat, only the controller unit is under the seat.

My Cars
    840Ci|725tds|Alpina B7
    Quote Originally Posted by Neuance View Post
    The memory module is on top of the heater housing behind the center consol not under the seat, only the controller unit is under the seat.

I thought all memory functions were handled by the seat module and only steering column adjustment was handled by the console module.

My Cars
    BMW 850i, Yamaha V-Star 1100, 1952 Willys M-38
    i was under the impression that it was in control of all the memory functions for the seat, mirrors, and steering wheel. I could be wrong. Does anyone else know ?

My Cars
    1998 bmw 840ci sport
    Not sure I understand where the memory module is-any pics etc?

My Cars
    BMW 850CSi
    Does pulling the trunk steering fuse change anything?

My Cars
    840Ci
    Hi, has anyone figured out the issue with electric steering column adjustment reversing itself? Mine does the same thing. Thanks

My Cars
    840Ci|725tds|Alpina B7
    Quote Originally Posted by mtmt840 View Post
    Hi, has anyone figured out the issue with electric steering column adjustment reversing itself? Mine does the same thing. Thanks
    Today, I finally replaced the steering column memory module (inside the dash above the MID) with a donor, and it is now working correctly again!

I am very happy to have it going the right way again, and regaining the entry/exit feature. It's just too bad that it now moves VERY jerky since when it broke, it moved up beyond the mechanical limit, and a bunch of tiny little ball bearings fell out onto the carpet from the adjustment mechanism. Sadly these parts aren't available separately. I will have to find a donor for these things.

My Cars
    91 Dinan860 & 91 850 6sp
    Today, I finally replaced the steering column memory module (inside the dash above the MID) with a donor, and it is now working correctly again!

I am very happy to have it going the right way again, and regaining the entry/exit feature. It's just too bad that it now moves VERY jerky since when it broke, it moved up beyond the mechanical limit, and a bunch of tiny little ball bearings fell out onto the carpet from the adjustment mechanism. Sadly these parts aren't available separately. I will have to find a donor for these things.
    I'll have a couple of those to choose from when I get around to breaking up the 2 parts cars
    '91 Dinan 860 Stage III (new 6L engine)
    '91 Dinan 850 TT stage III (brand new engine) 21st Century Tech meets 18th Century Dinan...
    '91 850i 6sp (mint) (sold)
    '90 Dinan 750iL TT stage III (Guido - The Beast)
    '94 850 CSi The Detroit Auto Show car (restored to factory perfect) (sold)
    '96 850Ci, The George Carlin car
    ''73 3.0 csi, '08 535i, '03 X5 4.6is
    ...and a few other non BMW cars

My Cars
    840Ci|725tds|Alpina B7
    Quote Originally Posted by cartoonz View Post
    I'll have a couple of those to choose from when I get around to breaking up the 2 parts cars
    Oh cool.. I am not 100% sure what parts I will need to fix it, but the part that broke out of it looks like this:

My Cars
    E31/E32 VWs Tesla
    Quote Originally Posted by mtmt840 View Post
    I think the coding in this module gets corrupted and things go awry-- Capacitors may fix a misbehaving module, but won't fix corrupted coding..

An alternative is to unhook one of the connectors on the steering wheel module (the white one, I think). In my car, this eliminated the memory function and automatic up-down, but preserved the manual operation

'89 735i, '91 850i, '81 MB 380SLC (For Sale), Tesla Model 3, and VW Passat TDI -- Yes, I still repair General Modules, DM for info!

My Cars
    x5, 640i, 850Ci, 850CSi
    Sometimes these can be reset, by pulling the fuse for the module (I forget which fuse number, but it's in the rear fuse box), letting it sit for at least 15 minutes, and then recalibrating the settings by moving the steering wheel full up, full down, full in and full out after reinstalling the fuse. If that doesn't work, these modules show up on ebay every so often for a decent price (compared to new). They are relatively easy to replace -- it's located in the center of the dash, behind the central vent. Just don't break your vent taking it out.

Mike Barrett
    Mike Barrett
    94 850CSi, Hellrot over silbergrau dunkel/silbergrau hell
    96 850Ci, Oxfordgrun over silbergrau hell

My Cars
    840Ci|725tds|Alpina B7
    Quote Originally Posted by mbarrett635 View Post
    They are relatively easy to replace -- it's located in the center of the dash, behind the central vent. Just don't break your vent taking it out.

I would NOT recommend removing the brittle center vent to access the module. It is totally doable through the MID opening. You just undo the two phillips screws that secure the bracket, unplug the connections once it is free, and finagle it out of the opening. Much quicker and less risky than dealing with that vent!

My Cars
    840Ci/6 528iT Europa TCS
    Is the center vent available? I have a couple small cracks in mine.

My Cars
    Cool Volvo, Ugly BMW
    I think so, not sure how many $800 vents they have sold over the years
    What "thumbs up" really means

My Cars
    840Ci/6 528iT Europa TCS
    I am unable to find the center vent in Real OEM. Does anybody know the part number or can direct me to which diagram?

My Cars
    x5, 640i, 850Ci, 850CSi
    Quote Originally Posted by rjbaren View Post
    I am unable to find the center vent in Real OEM. Does anybody know the part number or can direct me to which diagram?
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=64_0635

Item number 1.

Mike Barrett
    Mike Barrett
    94 850CSi, Hellrot over silbergrau dunkel/silbergrau hell
    96 850Ci, Oxfordgrun over silbergrau hell

My Cars
    840Ci/6 528iT Europa TCS
    Thanks Mike.

My Cars
    91 Dinan860 & 91 850 6sp
    Quote Originally Posted by rjbaren View Post
    https://www.scorebmwparts.com/parts/...&siteid=218743

$667.16
    '91 Dinan 860 Stage III (new 6L engine)
    '91 Dinan 850 TT stage III (brand new engine) 21st Century Tech meets 18th Century Dinan...
    '91 850i 6sp (mint) (sold)
    '90 Dinan 750iL TT stage III (Guido - The Beast)
    '94 850 CSi The Detroit Auto Show car (restored to factory perfect) (sold)
    '96 850Ci, The George Carlin car
    ''73 3.0 csi, '08 535i, '03 X5 4.6is
    ...and a few other non BMW cars