Page 21 of 46 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: The Z3 Diagnostics Thread: Instructions, Experiences, Discussions, Experimentation

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    Which chassis Z4?

To code a steering angle sensor on cars like e46, you just code the DSC module with "sg_codieren" job in NCSExpert, and it will do the steering angle sensor coding automatically as part of the routine.

My pack will definitely do that, they may be getting hung up on the inpa menu not containing E85 as an option. I ran out of button options, but it can be added.

I will try to see if I can find this thread.
    Looks like for a 2004.

... but this also affects me in that: part of my original reason to not consider a Z4 (other than maybe looks etc), was the fact that on a Z3, with your INPA package, I was able to do everything (damn near) myself, without having to go to a stealer... and it was my impression that given all your efforts over time, you had moved that time window forward, where one could still deal with most things without involving a stealer... and maybe I should ask that more explicitly: for a 2008 non-///M, is that basically now the case?
    Last edited by gmushial; 07-03-2017 at 11:36 AM.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Correct, this INPA pack will work for a lot of things for BMWs up to 2011 or so. It's been decently set up for coding and error reading/clearing for all those. If you get into Tool32, you can do even more than that, including even more than the dealer's ISTA or DIS.
    *WinKFP is only set up for E36, but it's not terribly hard to set up for other chassis. (BEWARE: flash updates with improper interfaces is risky)

Let me know if you want me to edit the INPA menu for you to add E85 Z4 to it.

For any BMW after 02/2007 you will need a "K+DCAN" cable to communicate via canbus as opposed to the K-Line you have been using.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    Correct, this INPA pack will work for a lot of things for BMWs up to 2011 or so. It's been decently set up for coding and error reading/clearing for all those. If you get into Tool32, you can do even more than that, including even more than the dealer's ISTA or DIS.
    *WinKFP is only set up for E36, but it's not terribly hard to set up for other chassis. (BEWARE: flash updates with improper interfaces is risky)

Let me know if you want me to edit the INPA menu for you to add E85 Z4 to it.

For any BMW after 02/2007 you will need a "K+DCAN" cable to communicate via canbus as opposed to the K-Line you have been using.
    As if you don't have enough on your plate... but yes, I'm pretty sure there will be a late 07 or '08 in my future - probably this coming winter... so: low priority, but I would appreciate it [E85 add]. ... and yes, already have the K+DCAN cable that you recommended from eBay... just need to find time [thesis is taking on a whole life of its own]; and then find the right Z4, and get it home ;-) but as always: many thanks. :-)

My Cars
    1987 M6
    I want to add some kudos to this thread!

I built up an Acer E11 netbook with windows 10 home edition, 64-bit, and re-used the cable I bought off ebay. I soldered a jumper on the pins for use on our family E61.
    The software installation went smooth except for one little thing. In the step about setting environmental variables, I could only select from existing directories. The solution was to open file manager and create the directory "c:\ediabas\bin" . Once it was created, I could select it in the config. editor. I suggest adding that step to the instructions.

I had previously built up a Windows XP computer and it had some issues with connecting. Once I got it to connect, it was unable to turn on my auxiliary audio input because the daten were old. I have only connected to the car and reviewed error codes so far, but there was not connectivity issue, and reading everything worked great. I need to lookup the process for enabling the aux. in again, and will report back if I was successful. Thanks again for putting this fantastic resource in the forums for us 328 Power 04. It's a lifesaver!

Jose
    Last edited by DaHose; 07-03-2017 at 01:38 PM.
    1987 M6
    Livin the dream!

My Cars
    2000 2.3 Z3, 2007 328xi
    Why isn't this a 'sticky' post?

I was trying to use what I believe is my old Vagcom KKL USB cable with INPA etc, Do I have to do the modification (step d pin7/8 connection) IF I do not use the 16-20 pin adapter - which does the 7/8 pin power sense?

I was trying to connect directly to the in car's 16 pin OBD directly with INPA without success - no power detected? (I don't have the adapter yet and was just wondering if this cable is OK) sorry if this has been covered.

“Great wisdom is generous; petty wisdom is contentious.” 无为

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Quote Originally Posted by DaHose View Post
    I want to add some kudos to this thread!

I built up an Acer E11 netbook with windows 10 home edition, 64-bit, and re-used the cable I bought off ebay. I soldered a jumper on the pins for use on our family E61.
    The software installation went smooth except for one little thing. In the step about setting environmental variables, I could only select from existing directories. The solution was to open file manager and create the directory "c:\ediabas\bin" . Once it was created, I could select it in the config. editor. I suggest adding that step to the instructions.

I had previously built up a Windows XP computer and it had some issues with connecting. Once I got it to connect, it was unable to turn on my auxiliary audio input because the daten were old. I have only connected to the car and reviewed error codes so far, but there was not connectivity issue, and reading everything worked great. I need to lookup the process for enabling the aux. in again, and will report back if I was successful. Thanks again for putting this fantastic resource in the forums for us 328 Power 04. It's a lifesaver!

Jose

You're welcome! Anytime.

Actually, a small little thing to add to the next version... The BMW Standard Tools 2.12 installer does the environment variables automatically in pretty much every Windows I've installed it on. It does it at the time of install, so that's why it's important to have "As Administrator" when running it.
    So I will be removing that bit from the instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by ZGator View Post
    Why isn't this a 'sticky' post?

I was trying to use what I believe is my old Vagcom KKL USB cable with INPA etc, Do I have to do the modification (step d pin7/8 connection) IF I do not use the 16-20 pin adapter - which does the 7/8 pin power sense?

I was trying to connect directly to the in car's 16 pin OBD directly with INPA without success - no power detected? (I don't have the adapter yet and was just wondering if this cable is OK) sorry if this has been covered.
    For E36, you do not need to bridge 7&8 when using the 20-pin adapter. Actually I will be editing those directions as well.

Pins 7&8 are reserved for the diagnostics communication "K-Line". BMW uses 2 K-Lines, but on USA E36 they both appear at the 20-pin port, and the Engine/Transmission K-Line gets forwarded to OBD pin 7. So no bridging needed at all (the 20-pin adapter does the necessary bridging internally).

The VAG KKL cable cannot 'see' live ignition as part of the internal design.
    Just make sure your COM port number in device manager matches the one in C:/EDIABAS/BIN/OBD.ini file
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Quote Originally Posted by gmushial View Post
    As if you don't have enough on your plate... but yes, I'm pretty sure there will be a late 07 or '08 in my future - probably this coming winter... so: low priority, but I would appreciate it [E85 add]. ... and yes, already have the K+DCAN cable that you recommended from eBay... just need to find time [thesis is taking on a whole life of its own]; and then find the right Z4, and get it home ;-) but as always: many thanks. :-)

Here you go.
    Download this file. Rename to "INPA.INI" (instead of INPA.INI.txt) and paste it in C:/EC-APPS/INPA/CFGDAT/ folder, overwriting the old one.

INPA.INI.txt
    Z4 as F8 button

ps. You may have to uncheck "Hide Extensions for Known File Types" in your Folder Options (see pic) to be able to edit the name of the file correctly.

hideextent.jpg
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2000 2.3 Z3, 2007 328xi

For E36, you do not need to bridge 7&8 when using the 20-pin adapter. Actually I will be editing those directions as well.

Pins 7&8 are reserved for the diagnostics communication "K-Line". BMW uses 2 K-Lines, but on USA E36 they both appear at the 20-pin port, and the Engine/Transmission K-Line gets forwarded to OBD pin 7. So no bridging needed at all (the 20-pin adapter does the necessary bridging internally).

The VAG KKL cable cannot 'see' live ignition as part of the internal design.
    Just make sure your COM port number in device manager matches the one in C:/EDIABAS/BIN/OBD.ini file
    Sorry, my question is will a VAG KKL cable work connected directly to the OBD2 16 pin without the 7/8 pin mod?
    Last edited by ZGator; 07-03-2017 at 03:52 PM.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    On E36, yes. BUT you will only be able to access engine module and transmission module (if equipped). Everything else is in the 20-pin port.

Sorry, I gave you the long version above.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2000 2.3 Z3, 2007 328xi
    Ah boy! just got my 20 pin to 16 pin adapter:

ista-d-z3.png
    Last edited by ZGator; 07-07-2017 at 06:09 PM.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Hehe, nice. That one is great for facelift Z3s+
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2001 M Coupe
    Will this work on newer machines, with say Windows 10?

-Ed Hands
    MaxPSI Stg2 Turbo
    R.Forbes magic F&R
    100K Original owner miles.
    Proud member of the BF.c FI - Big Torque Club (>500wtq Dyno Results)

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Quote Originally Posted by E.Hands View Post
    Will this work on newer machines, with say Windows 10?
    Yes it will. Pay special attention to the part in the instructions about opening the installer file with "Windows XP Compatibility" and run everything "As Administrator".

Using USB cable with adapter on your 2001, you will be able to reach all modules. (No ADS interface needed, you have all K-Line modules)
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Roadster
    Bumping thread to front page because I'm an enabler of laziness.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Manual sticky

/.randy

My Cars
    ...it depands
    I also nominate this thread should be sticky.

For z3m (and many other chassis), INPA has been by far the most effective diagnostic tool I've used. And the best part is it comes free thanks to 318power04 (ok, very small cost of the cable, but I already had mine from other less-complete but expensive obc tools that I've owned previously).
    Last edited by nevan; 08-28-2017 at 12:28 PM.
    2000 Z3 M Titanium Silver / Imola Red+Black Nappa
    2011 328i E92 Space Gray Metallic / Leder Dakota+Oyster
    Since 1987 12 euros / 2 kdms / 2 jdms
    - Zach

My Cars
    Z3
    I bought the setup sold by the Chinese seller recommended by the threadstarter and have INPA working, but am not getting battery and ignition status. I've not seen this mentioned in this thread, so maybe the 20 pin adapters being sold have changed?

The car is a 2000 Z3 2.8 Coupe. I've done some digging and found out I should connect pin 16 on the round 20-pin connector to pin 1 on the OBD plug. Currently pin 16 on the BMW plug is unpopulated. Can someone confirm this is how I should proceed?

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    The VAG KKL cable does not have ignition and Voltage sensing. It is also not necessary at all for diagnosis.

You can fool it by doing the steps in first post, Section E, number 2. It's a reprogram of the FTDI chip to invert the ignition and voltage sensing.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't bridge anything in your 20-pin port at all. It is not necessary and will not help you with anything.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    Z3
    328 Power 04: I did that, but it did not fool INPA. The reason I tried getting ignition/voltage sensing to work is because it would allow access to the "special tests" section. One of those tests looks like a script that will check all available modules for errors without doing it one by one.

I've cleared all errors I could find in available modules but still have the MIL lit up on the dash. Something which leads me to believe I don't have access to all modules on the car (none of the AC options, steering angle sensor, ABS, etc).

I'll be the first to admit I have very limited experience with INPA, but at least some of those read like modules that should be on the car.

My Cars
    Z3
    328 Power 04: the reason I tried to get voltage/ignition sensing up and running is because it would allow access to the "special tests" section in INPA. Following the instructions in section E did not fool INPA (did the flash, not the soldering).

One of the special test seems like a script that will read the error memory of all available modules rather than having to do it manually.

I currently reset all errors I could find but the MIL is still lit up on the dash. I also don't have access to several modules like AC, steering angle sensor, onboard computer, ABS. I figured at least some of those should be installed modules and one of them might be the MIL culprit. Of course I might just be overlooking something, I'm very much a beginner using INPA.

My Cars
    BMW z3

How to interpret INPA run result (Z3 Coupe 2.8)

The engine check light (and the ABS warning light) in my '2000 Z3 coupe (2.8) came on several months ago and while searching for online information on how to diagnose the root cause, I discovered this forum and would like to thank 328 Power 04 for having compiled such detailed instructions as well as the accompanying tools.

Following the instructions, I have been able to install INPA and get a dump of the error memory as well as the shadow memory but I am not sure how to interpret the HEX error codes at the end of each error listing (attached bellow). Do I need to be using any of the other tools to translate these into more readable message ?
    Also, I have been unable to get any readout for the ABS module possibly due to a mismatch between the script I am using and the actual mode, even though I have tried all the listed (ABS related) scripts. Do I need to install the other tools (TIS ?) in order for the ABS queries to be able to extract and display and error codes ?

I also tried using the Torque app on my android phone to get the diagnostics from OBD2 port via blue tooth, and it reports "P0500" as the only (ECU ?) error and I gather that is the code for a bad Speed Sensor, though it is not clear which speed sensor, if any, is at fault ?

Would appreciate any help/advise on either questions.

************************************************** ********************************************
    Engine Check Readout:

================================================== =====
    ERROR MEMORY REPORT
    ------------------------------------Date: 10/16/17 14:07:31
    ECU: MS420DS0
    JobStatus: OKAY
    Variant: MS420DS0
    ------------------------------------------------------------RESULT: 2 errors in error memory !
    ------------------------------------------------------------214 Signal Speed
    Error frequency : 1
    Logistic counter: 40
    Engine speed
    load
    digital F-Code 1
    Battery Voltage
    appear before (rel.)

2496.00 1/min
    370.40 mg/Hub
    0.00 [1]
    14.18 V
    8.80 h

Signal nicht plausibel
    CARB-Fehler
    Fehler nach Entprellung gespeichert
    Fehler momentan vorhanden
    statischer Fehler
    Errorcode: D6 78 01 28 4E 44 00 8B 75 E7

plausibilitaet Signal Brake light switch / Bbrake light test switch

Error frequency : 1
    Logistic counter: 40
    Engine speed
    temperature intake air
    temperature cooling water
    Battery Voltage
    appear before (rel.)

768.00 1/min
    46.50 Grad C
    75.00 Grad C
    13.97 V
    1.60 h

BLS defekt oder BTS klemmt auf 1
    Fehler nach Entprellung gespeichert
    Fehler momentan nicht vorhanden
    sporadischer Fehler
    Errorcode: 27 A1 01 28 18 7E A4 89 76 2F
    ================================================== ===========

************************************************** ********************************************
    Airbag (Chassi) readout:
    ===============

ERROR MEMORY REPORT
    ------------------------------------Date: 10/16/17 14:30:18
    ECU:
    MRS3
    JobStatus: OKAY
    Variant: MRS3
    ------------------------------------------------------------RESULT: 2 errors in error memory !

belt lock driver

Error frequency : 2
    error not active at the moment
    battery short circuit / (wiring) break / resistor too large
    error is sporadic

belt lock driver

Error frequency : 17
    error not active at the moment
    resistor not defined or within transition range
    error is sporadic
    ================================================== ===========

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    The errors are quite well defined, even though they are actually an automated German to English translation.

Your ABS / DSC not being able to connect suggests that the module is either bad (well known problem on that year's Bosch modules, see Module Masters for repair, or repair yourself) or its power source is blown (check fuses?). The script/profile you should be using is DSC e46 for your 2.8 coupe. The inability to connect is not a software issue, and TIS definitely won't help (TIS is repair instructions).

The speed signal error in the Engine module, MS42, is likely due to the ABS/DSC. The Z3 reads off the differential for speedometer, so I assume that's working fine?

Seems like your brake light switch may be bad too; common, easy repair.
    Focus on the ABS / DSC module first.

Which instrument cluster lights are on?
    Last edited by 328 Power 04; 10-22-2017 at 12:12 PM.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    For your airbag errors, disconnect, clean, and reconnect the seat tensioner/belt buckle connectors under the seats, and clear airbag errors.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    BMW z3
    Thanks so much for the additional information and the suggestions. The remaining lights on the instrument panel at this point are the (red) Check Engine (the engine icon), the (orange) ABS, and the (orange) Warning (triangle w/ exclamation) lights. The seatbelt/airbag light is off after clearing it through INPA. And yes, the odometer/speedometer show the correct speed when the car is moving.

So, does the "214 Signal Speed" error indicate an out of range readout from one of (ABS) wheel-speed sensors ? If so, is it possible to narrow it down to which wheel (or front/rear ?) And why does it activate the check engine light (instead of ABS light ?) My car has a smog check coming soon and, in California, it won't pass the check as long as the engine light is on, regardless of its actual emission levels (the ABS light is apparently Ok with them.)

On a side question, as I was paging through the remainder of status info, I noticed that the "Cooling Water Outlet Temp (C)" is reported at -48(C) ! I am in California and we are having a heat wave this week (way above normal for this late in October !) Is this relevent to the check light (the instrument panel temperature gauge reading is normal.) And finally, what does Error Frequency refer to (is it applicable only to transient errors as opposed to stuck sensor readouts ?)

Thanks again for all the time you are taking to explain these (often repeat) questions to the newbies.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    If you cannot connect to "DSC e46" with diagnostics, that means the ABS module itself is bad (or not powering on, or other wiring faults to the ABS module). It is useless to look for a wheel speed sensor problem.
    The engine control unit (MS42) is looking for the vehicle speed signal that it normally gets from the ABS module. Wheel speed sensor codes are different and will specifically say "wheel speed sensor". Wheel speed sensor codes will be read out exclusively from the ABS module.

Figure out the problem with the ABS/DSC module and replace your brake light switch, then your check engine light will go off.

- - - Updated - - -

The Z3 doesn't have a cooling outlet temperature sensor (because it doesn't have an electric fan that is controlled by the engine control unit as in e46). So that reading is normal and correct for your car.
    Last edited by 328 Power 04; 10-24-2017 at 08:05 AM.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

Page 21 of 46 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast