Page 11 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast

Thread: The Z3 Diagnostics Thread: Instructions, Experiences, Discussions, Experimentation

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    I tried to install INPA a couple three times about a year ago, and found myself running into questions/prompts that didn't match the documentation... and eventually gave up. This was on a WinXP laptop. I'm now in a position of needing to be able to use INPA to read some codes that the generic scanners can't.. so: my question is: what do I need to erase off the laptop before I try to install it again? Or, does the installer not look at what's there during the process? [I have the 20-pin to OBD converter likewise the OBD to USB converter with the right chip in it... so other than getting INPA installed and running, in theory I should be good to go... ].

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Yes you can just reinstall it again.

I usually take care to delete the following folders (if they exist) to clean up:
    C:\EC-APPS
    C:\EDIABAS
    C:\INPA
    C:\NFS-Backup
    C:\NCSEXPER and related ones with $$$
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    Yes you can just reinstall it again.

I usually take care to delete the following folders (if they exist) to clean up:
    C:\EC-APPS
    C:\EDIABAS
    C:\INPA
    C:\NFS-Backup
    C:\NCSEXPER and related ones with $$$
    Will do... thanks. let's see if the fifth try is the charm... ;-)

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    UART = Universal Asynchronous Receiver/Transmitter . The name used to be synonymous with RS-232 serial communications... by the same people that call Microsoft Windows "windows" and MS-DOS "DOS" and think PC means a machine with a microsoft operating system. In truth, a UART does not imply RS232 compatibility. But if you are wiring your own board, do you really need to step from TTL to RS-232 levels and back?

/.randy

My Cars
    X5, R90/6
    Quote Originally Posted by gmushial View Post
    I didn't try as any other user but I had no problems installing as Administrator. Not sure how you set up your user permissions but making whatever user you end up using an Administrator might help.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    UART = Universal Asynchronous Receiver/Transmitter . The name used to be synonymous with RS-232 serial communications... by the same people that call Microsoft Windows "windows" and MS-DOS "DOS" and think PC means a machine with a microsoft operating system. In truth, a UART does not imply RS232 compatibility. But if you are wiring your own board, do you really need to step from TTL to RS-232 levels and back?
    Can't you just pin coms over from the SPI bus and pull power for the TinyADS board from GPIO? What am I missing? (I'm more interested in how GBPatterson is going to physically put it all together and package it than the actual pinouts and coms.)

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    If the UART on that minnowboard is anything like the Raspberry Pi, with GND, TX, RX, and 5V, or 3.3V in the case of the above, it will not work with TinyADS.

You need a dedicated DTR, RI, and DSR line as well (from looking at connections on the TinyADS board)
    Or somebody to write custom drivers to handle it.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    Got those deleted... have a stack of midterms to grade... but then will take one more shot at it... with fingers crossed :-)

My Cars
    98 Z3 M Roadster
    Hm, was out of town for a few days so did not get a chance to reply. I'll let you know once I get the board but it appears from what I can see that there are a total of 5 serial connections.

The following page gives more details (The Turbot matches the MAX in this regards)

http://wiki.minnowboard.org/MinnowBoard_MAX

Serial Console

On your host computer, configure your terminal emulation software with these settings:

• /dev/ttyS0
    • Baud rate: 115200
    • Hardware Flow Control: No
    • Bits: 8
    • Stop: 1

The serial console port (UART0), located near the SATA connector at the top of the board, uses a 3.3v FTDI serial cable with a 6-pin connector. This is a reasonably common cable, also used on the Arduino Pro, Arduino Pro Mini and Arduino Lilypad. The cable connector typically has a triangle marking pin 1 (black wire).

Pins and signal names are referenced from the cable:

• Pin 1: Ground (GND) (Closest to SATA connector)
    • Pin 2: CTS*
    • Pin 3: VCC* (3.3V)
    • Pin 4: TXD
    • Pin 5: RXD
    • Pin 6: RTS*

Debugging MinnowBoard MAX with Olimex USB-Serial-Cable-FHigh Speed UART1

Available on the Low Speed Expansion this Uart is 16550 compatible and appears as /dev/ttyS4
    CTS/RTS signaling is available
    High Speed UART2

Available on the Low Speed Expansion this Uart is 16550 compatible and appears as /dev/ttyS5
    CTS/RTS signaling is NOT available
    And two more on the low speed connector

Low Speed Expansion Connector (Top)

The low speed expansion connector uses 0.1" (2.54 mm) male header pins in a 2 x 13 array, for a total of 26 pins. Pin 1 is in the row closest to the power connector, and closest to the board edge.
    NOTE: All I/O on the Low Speed Expansion Connector is at 3.3V levels. THE PINS ARE NOT 5v TOLERANT
    LSE Layout

The Linux GPIO base address changed (by adding 256) from Linux kernel versions 3.17 to 3.18, so you'll need to know which kernel version you're using to select the correct GPIO numbers. This table lists the GPIO number for both the 3.17 and earlier kernels, and 3.18 and later kernels, for each pin on the connector:
    Description Name Pin Linux GPIO# (≤3.17) Linux GPIO# (≥3.18) Linux GPIO# (≥3.18) Linux GPIO# (≤3.17) Pin Name Description
    Ground Gnd 1 2 Gnd Ground
    +5V Power VCC 3 4 +3V3 + 3.3V Power
    SPI Chip Select 1 GPIO_SPI_CS# 5 220 476 481 225 6 GPIO_UART1_TXD UART Transmit
    Master In / Slave Out GPIO_SPI_MISO 7 221 477 480 224 8 GPIO_UART1_RXD UART Receive
    Master Out / Slave In GPIO_SPI_MOSI 9 222 478 483 227 10 GPIO_UART1_CTS CTS / GPIO
    SPI Clock GPIO_SPI_CLK 11 223 479 482 226 12 GPIO_UART1_RTS RTS / GPIO
    Clock / GPIO GPIO_I2C_SCL (I2C #5) 13 243 499 472 216 14 GPIO_I2S_CLK Clock / GPIO
    Data / GPIO GPIO_I2C_SDA (I2C #5) 15 242 498 473 217 16 GPIO_I2S_FRM (* Note issue) Frame / GPIO
    UART Transmit / GPIO GPIO_UART2_TXD 17 229 485 475 219 18 GPIO_I2S_DO Data Out / GPIO
    UART Receive / GPIO GPIO_UART2_RXD 19 228 484 474 218 20 GPIO_I2S_DI Data In / GPIO
    GPIO / Wakeup GPIO_S5_0 21 82 338 504 248 22 GPIO_PWM0 PWM / GPIO
    GPIO / Wakeup GPIO_S5_1 23 83 339 505 249 24 GPIO_PWM1 PWM / GPIO
    GPIO / Wakeup GPIO_S5_2 25 84 340 464

26 GPIO_IBL_8254 (*Notice) (MAX A2)

I2SMCLK_GPIO (Turbot)
    Timer / GPIO

I2S MCLK / GPIO
    The most promising would appear to be the FTDI that is normally used as the debug connector.

Failing that I'd be willing to give a shot at putting together drivers, it not an area I'm overly familiar with but I'm well experienced in development and engineering.

- - - Updated - - -

What I'm wondering is if it would be possible to somehow adapt the CTS/RTS to fill the DSR/DTR role (even if custom driver).

- - - Updated - - -

From

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Text-Terminal-HOWTO-11.html

Connecting up DTR or DTR/DSR Flow Control

Some terminals use only DTR flow control. This is only one-way flow control to keep the terminal from being overrun. It doesn't protect the computer from someone typing too fast for the computer to handle it. In a standard file-transfer serial cable the DTR pin at the terminal is connected to the DSR pin at the computer. But Linux doesn't support DTR/DSR flow control (although drivers for some multiport boards may support DTR/DSR flow control.) A way around this problem is to simply wire the DTR pin at the terminal to connect to the CTS pin at the computer and set RTS/CTS flow control (stty crtscts). The fact that it's only one way will not affect anything so long as the host doesn't get overwhelmed by your typing speed and drop RTS in a vain attempt to lock your keyboard. See Keyboard Lock. For DTR/DSR flow control (if your terminal supports this two-way flow control) you do the above. But you also connect the DSR pin at the terminal to the RTS pin at the computer. Then you are protected if you type too fast.

- - - Updated - - -

If this is a proprietary project of yours (meaning you want to make something to sell later on) I'm happy to give you a brain dump on what I/we have put together so far as long as you'll provide a few sample units when you start making them
    If I can make it work I'd share all the details openly but most likely would not be making them to sell. If it requires additional software to be written I'd be making that open source also.

My Cars
    98 Z3 M Roadster
    Got the board today.

So initial inspection it would seem they are all UART connections (as in TTL serial connections). The TinyADS is outputting RS-232 serial. So theoretically throwing in a MAX3232 breakout board should allow me to connect?

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11189

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, TinyADS (No Connectors) and the MAX3232 breakout board ordered also now.
    Last edited by GBPaterson; 03-30-2016 at 01:03 AM.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Hmm, I wonder if you are working too hard to get ADS connection? You might be able to connect to all modules except Instrument Cluster through USB cable.
    Does your Z3M have ASC traction control?
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    98 Z3 M Roadster
    Maybe true, but where is the fun in that?

I think I have the throttle body with no traction control.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    I think I've got it installed correctly - though with one question... but I'm not "connecting" to the data on Z..

The question is: which COM port should I have installed the last step to use... the laptop is vintage XP pro 32, but it has a built in modem and serial port... I believe they use COM1 and COM2 respectively - though not sure. The install gave me the choices 1 - 8... how should I decide? The laptop only has a single USB (probably 1) port. I do have the OBD to USB converter cable as specified back on page 1 or 2 of this thread... and when I plug it into the OBD port I do get a blue LED light up.

Beyond that, when I go into INPA, I get the front screen with all the F key assignments... where F2 is for E36 / Z3. But even though the Z is running (though I tried it with the key off, key in acc, and key in running position, I get the same results): that front page at the top says: "Battery: OFF Ignition: OFF"... even though the cable is plugged into the dash OBD port and into the USB port on the laptop. Do I need to use the 20 pin converter and connect under the hood? ... and when I select F2, and engine and then one of the items in the right list box... after I select an item, do I hit enter, or does selecting it cause the function to be loaded? ... so I guess I have two questions: one about getting INPA to see the cable plugged into the USB port; and how to run INPA.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    See connection troubleshooting instructions to fix your COM port. Your USB cable's COM port isn't matching to the settings needed for INPA. It is defaulted at COM1 when you do the Step 3 install. But can be changed to any of your needs.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    DevMngr.jpg

Thanks for the reply... and yes, assumed to be a comm error. Though the question is and this was that I was trying to get to: the USB port is mapped to COM9; where as COM1 is tied to a real old school RS-232 D-15 serial port on the back of the laptop... so the question is: do I mod the .ini to use COM9, even though in the com port config tool only COM1-8 were listed? Or, is there another workaround? Thanks again.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    I would change the COM port on the USB cable to the lowest available, AND then match the .ini to that. It will work then.

(COM9 may work too, doesn't hurt anything to try, no reinstalls or losses if you edit those settings around)
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    I would change the COM port on the USB cable to the lowest available, AND then match the .ini to that. It will work then.

(COM9 may work too, doesn't hurt anything to try, no reinstalls or losses if you edit those settings around)
    Just some follow up:

- Changed the COM port number in the .ini file to COM9, and INPA was able to communicate.

- If seems that at least on my '99 Z, only the engine data is available via the console OBD port; one has to go under the hood, and use the 20-pin adaptor to read other data... driving around with the laptop in the passenger seat checking values is reasonable... but given the cable length I have, driving around with the laptop on the hood, is not reasonable [though did enough to see that my problem was but is not now the wheelspeed sensors].

- the next question is: where does one fine further information on a specific error number? eg, 113 from the ABS/ASC system - one liner says main relay in control unit... ???

- how much extension will USB accept (and still work)? 1m? 2m?

But above all: many thanks, for the input, and many thanks for making this available to the community. :-) x100

My Cars
    36 Cylinders

- If seems that at least on my '99 Z, only the engine data is available via the console OBD port; one has to go under the hood, and use the 20-pin adaptor to read other data... driving around with the laptop in the passenger seat checking values is reasonable... but given the cable length I have, driving around with the laptop on the hood, is not reasonable [though did enough to see that my problem was but is not now the wheelspeed sensors].

- the next question is: where does one fine further information on a specific error number? eg, 113 from the ABS/ASC system - one liner says main relay in control unit... ???
    So on your 99 Z3 '2.3' with DSC you connected to "DSC E46". When you read errors, it had the 113 error? A search online says that the problem is the DSC module itself (quite common). Not sure if this is the simple to fix cracked solder on the board, but it may be.

And yes, only your engine control unit (and auto transmission, if you had one) can be diagnosed via OBD port, but not any others. I have not yet found the need to log anything from the 20-pin port while driving.

And you are most welcome!
    Last edited by 328 Power 04; 04-04-2016 at 12:51 PM.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    So on your 99 Z3 '2.3' with DSC you connected to "DSC E46". When you read errors, it had the 113 error? A search online says that the problem is the DSC module itself (quite common). Not sure if this is the simple to fix cracked solder on the board, but it may be.

And yes, only your engine control unit (and auto transmission, if you had one) can be diagnosed via OBD port, but not any others. I have not yet found the need to log anything from the 20-pin port while driving.

And you are most welcome!
    Any guesses on the maximum usable USB extension length and still have it work? ... find it interesting that what I connected to was the "ACS Mk20 / DCS E46".. somehow would have thought the two systems would have been different in age to have used different units... ?? But yes, basically I tried all the options and that was the only one that didn't blow me out... and was sufficiently viable that I was able to reset the errors, drive it around the driveway loop - .1mi (goes around garage, barn, shop etc)... and the 113 came back but the wheelspeed sensor errors didn't... wondering if my cleaning of them had anything to do with that... though strangely, the 113 and sensor error cnts were exactly the same... from your comment, will have to do a search here on DCS/ACS module errors, deaths and repairs and see if one can come up with a solution... don't want to just throw parts at it. Thanks again.

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5.0
    15ft is about as far as I've had USB work.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Quote Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
    15ft is about as far as I've had USB work.
    Did you ever code out your auto transmission from your cluster to get rid of lights? (Saw blog video)
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    Did you ever code out your auto transmission from your cluster to get rid of lights? (Saw blog video)
    Not to hijack the thread... but is "coding a module" something that either INPA can do, or one of the other items in the distribution you put together?

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Not to hijack the thread... but is "coding a module" something that either INPA can do, or one of the other items in the distribution you put together?
    It is done with NCSExpert, included.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    It is done with NCSExpert, included.
    Just confirming: if I have to buy a used ABS module, I can use NCSExpert to code it to match my VIN or whatever it is? Again, many thanks. :-)

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Just confirming: if I have to buy a used ABS module, I can use NCSExpert to code it to match my VIN or whatever it is? Again, many thanks. :-)
    You should be able to in NCSExpert, using the "FGNR_SCHREIBEN" job command. (And the SG_CODIEREN job will write correct car specific settings to the module, for instance if DSC comes out of an auto Z3)

If not, the supplied Tool32 will do it as well.
    Also a proper reflash with WinKFP usually writes the correct VIN at the end of the programming.

- - - Updated - - -

) from your comment, will have to do a search here on DCS/ACS module errors, deaths and repairs and see if one can come up with a solution... don't want to just throw parts at it. Thanks again.
    User puntoloco was able to fix a few of these modules by resoldering the cracked solder on the board.
    In this post http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...4#post27767574

But his pictures aren't all working anymore

The idea is you crack the module open and inspect the soldered areas. This is what ModuleMasters does. It takes a bit of courage, but this is what I would be doing first before buying a used one.
    Last edited by 328 Power 04; 04-04-2016 at 06:21 PM.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    98 Z3 M Roadster
    Got the Minnowboard set up with Win10 (x86) and EDIABAS/INPA/e.t.c. all seems to look good. It seems only one of the UARTS is fully set up to work with RS-232 serial as Windows shows only 1 COM Port. Unclear though if this is the Debug UART header or the Low Speed connector UART1 connection. Once the other parts arrive I'll do some testing and figure it out.

Either which way it seems its running Windows + BMW Tools fine and has a COM1 port present.

UART = Universal Asynchronous Receiver/Transmitter . The name used to be synonymous with RS-232 serial communications... by the same people that call Microsoft Windows "windows" and MS-DOS "DOS" and think PC means a machine with a microsoft operating system. In truth, a UART does not imply [COLOR=red !important][COLOR=red !important]RS232[/COLOR][/COLOR] compatibility. But if you are wiring your own board, do you really need to step from TTL to RS-232 levels and back?
    I'm using the term UART here since as far as I can tell they are all TTL level coming off the board.

Page 11 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast