Page 10 of 46 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast

Thread: The Z3 Diagnostics Thread: Instructions, Experiences, Discussions, Experimentation

My Cars
    X5, R90/6
    think you may be correct. I forgot that I had the BIOS set to put serial on COM1 so PC was pushing this to COM3.

I see a potential conflict. What about all of these UNIT_A, UNIT_B, etc. I'm not using anything above COM4, should I bump UNIT_A up to COM4 and carry everything forward so there isn't a conflict with my current UNIT_B and my usb to serial adapter cable?

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.

Code:
    [OBD]
    Port=Com3
    Hardware=OBD
    RETRY=ON
    ;Tracelevel=0xFFFFFFFF
    ;Tracelevel=0xFFFFFFFF
    ;Tracelevel=0xF0000000
    ;Tracelevel=0x0000FFFF
    ; Bit 0    = Funktionsaufruf
    ; Bit 1    = io Ergebnis
    ; Bit 2    = nio Ergebnis
    ; Bit 3    = Detailinfos
    ; Nibble 0 = readchar_wait
    ; Nibble 1 = main
    ; Nibble 2 = cmd
    ; Nibble 3 = obd
    ; Nibble 4 = send_and_receive_...
    ; Nibble 5 = read_telegram_...
    ; Nibble 6 = send_telegram
    ; Nibble 7 = SendData

[UNIT_A]
    Port=Com2
    Hardware=OBD

[UNIT_B]
    Port=Com3
    Hardware=OBD

[UNIT_C]
    Port=Com4
    Hardware=OBD

[UNIT_D]
    Port=Com5
    Hardware=OBD

[UNIT_E]
    Port=Com6
    Hardware=OBD

[UNIT_F]
    Port=Com7
    Hardware=OBD

[UNIT_G]
    Port=Com8
    Hardware=OBD

[UNIT_H]
    Port=Com9
    Hardware=OBD

[UNIT_I]
    Port=Com10
    Hardware=OBD

[UNIT_J]
    Port=Com11
    Hardware=OBD

[UNIT_K]
    Port=Com12
    Hardware=OBD

[UNIT_L]
    Port=Com13
    Hardware=OBD

[UNIT_M]
    Port=Com14
    Hardware=OBD

[UNIT_N]
    Port=Com15
    Hardware=OBD

[UNIT_O]
    Port=Com16
    Hardware=OBD

My Cars
    Two Z3 Roadsters
    In XP, go to your computer device manager. Locate your USB lead driver and record the com port that it is assigned to. Edit ODB.ini and in the first row Port = CommXX where XX = the com port listed in the XP device manager for your USB lead driver. They need to match.
    1999 2.8L Z3 Roadster,
    2000 3.0L Z3 Roadster,

There is only one thing more pleasurable than working on a Z3, that's driving it top down on a fine day.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Yep, see section E part 3. Nearly always the cause of no connection.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 1215 View Post
    think you may be correct. I forgot that I had the BIOS set to put serial on COM1 so PC was pushing this to COM3.

I see a potential conflict. What about all of these UNIT_A, UNIT_B, etc. I'm not using anything above COM4, should I bump UNIT_A up to COM4 and carry everything forward so there isn't a conflict with my current UNIT_B and my usb to serial adapter cable?

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.
    No you do not need to edit anything else except the com port in the OBD section. Don't get too carried away. It's really simple.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by graver757 View Post
    Thank you for all of your hard work and sharing all of this info.
    I am having a problem installing the software. I am running windows 8, after downloading the software and extracting to a new folder, I change compatibility mode to windows xp service pack 3, press install and nothing happens, install screen just dissappears???? any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Did you try the alternate install method at the end of post #1?

I have this running on computers from Windows XP all the way to Win10, 32-bit and 64-bit.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325i
    I have a Toshiba Satellite C55-D, runiing windows 8.1, 4G Ram, 500G HD. Thanks for your quick response.

My Cars
    X5, R90/6
    graver757,
    I built an 8.1 VM and it worked same for me in XP mode as it did on a XP machine. Only difference may be that I enabled my Administrator account and logged into the 8.1 VM as Administrator rather than even a regular user with admin privileges.

I always create a folder called "util" directly on the C drive so I can put utilities, programs and some other junk in it. The very first thing I'd recommend is you do the same (or similar). Create a folder on your C drive and name it whatever you want: util, BMW, etc. whatever you want. Copy the zip file only into that directory. if you don't, your non-administrator user name may end up being the owner of those files and it can be a bit of a pain. Just copy over the zip file into that directory.

Next, I'd suggest enabling the Administrator account. Right click on the start menu (windows flat lower left corner), select "Computer Management". Expand "Local Users and Groups", click on the "Users" folder. You will probably see a little down arrow next to the Administrator account. Right click on "Administrator" and choose "Set Password". PICK A PW YOU WILL REMEMBER! Next, right click on Administrator and select "Properties". Choose the properties you want --I usually uncheck "disable this account", I also select/check "password never expires". Next go to "Member Of" and make sure it says "Administrators". Hit OK, save, apply, yes, etc. and all that. Right click on YOUR username, select "properties" and go to "Member Of". Click Add (bottom left), click Advanced (bottom left), click "Find Now" (right side, middle), you'll see a list populate in the bottom window. "Administrators" will probably be the second in that list. Click on it/select it (so it's highlighted usually in blue), then hit "OK". hit "OK" in the next window, in the properties window hit "apply" then OK.

Reboot your machine and log in as Administrator. Go over to your C:\util folder, extract the zip file and try the install again as Administrator.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    I have this running on computers from Windows XP all the way to Win10, 32-bit and 64-bit.
    I have it working fine except MS41 is breaking when I try to connect and read the files in the vehicle I'm having an issue with. Is re-flashing as easy as jumping/bridging the pins on the 20-pin and then connect the USB-to-OBD cable to the OBD interface under the dash? and then I assume hit flash and choose a file?

What should I edit or configure first? Last thing I want to do is flash software that doesn't have my VIN or worn't work with the key, etc.

Thanks.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    I have it working fine except MS41 is breaking when I try to connect and read the files in the vehicle I'm having an issue with. Is re-flashing as easy as jumping/bridging the pins on the 20-pin and then connect the USB-to-OBD cable to the OBD interface under the dash? and then I assume hit flash and choose a file?

What should I edit or configure first? Last thing I want to do is flash software that doesn't have my VIN or worn't work with the key, etc.

Thanks.
    Yes, flashing with the MS41 Flash Tool it is pretty much that easy. Exactly like this http://www.openms41.org/read-write-41/enable-write

To go back to stock, you need to flash a stock full-flash. It will ask you for the 256kb fullflash .bin when you click write, fullflash.
    I can send you a few by email (PM me your email).

MS41 Flash tool will take care of the EWS code and correct checksums automatically. VIN is stored in eeprom, so you will not have to worry about that. Even *IF* you get stuck with immobilizer blocking ignition, it takes less than 5 seconds to align EWS code correctly.

Once you are on stock flash, do a partial read of it, and then propose your edits. Always start with a clean working fullflash.

- - - Updated - - -

I have it working fine except MS41 is breaking when I try to connect and read the files in the vehicle I'm having an issue with.
    Not sure what you mean by this. Do other modules work (like airbag)? Do you get the two dots in INPA changing to black?

(FYI* On my 96 328is, I can only reach the MS41.1 through the OBD port, but not in the 20-pin.. strangely.)

Make sure your USB cable's COM Port in Device Manager matches what is written in your obd.ini file, and that you set your USB cable's latency to 1ms.
    Last edited by 328 Power 04; 03-16-2016 at 03:12 PM.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325i
    i was trying to use winzip!!! I hhave everything installed but a little confused in the very last step in Third Install...
    "and copy obd.ini (C:\EDIABAS\Bin) to your Windows directory" Thank you guys for ALL of your help!!!!!!!

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    i was trying to use winzip!!! I hhave everything installed but a little confused in the very last step in Third Install...
    "and copy obd.ini (C:\EDIABAS\Bin) to your Windows directory" Thank you guys for ALL of your help!!!!!!!
    You can skip that for Windows 8.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325i
    same with 8.1????? If so sweet!!!! Thank you sooooooo Much!!!!!!

My Cars
    X5, R90/6
    Stupid question... when you flash do you flash with the car running or off but with ignition on?
    Sorted it, first flash done. ignition on, engine off.
    Last edited by 1215; 03-17-2016 at 10:26 PM.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Stupid question... when you flash do you flash with the car running or off but with ignition on?
    Sorted it, first flash done. ignition on, engine off.
    hehe, funny question. If I had a few spare MS41 ecus I would try it. Only have one good working spare for playing with.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325i
    UH,oh....so the install went good, but i cant connect to my car???

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Read section 3, Troubleshooting Connections, and follow the instructions in that PDF. It's pretty much always that.

Also, you will need to be bridging your pins 7&8. And your engine module is MS43 FYI.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    X5, R90/6
    (hopefully this will attach as a new post vs. automerge into my above post)

I have a question about general tuning strategy, theory & procedure.

First I'd like to thank 328 Power 04 for taking the time to talk to me and get me up to speed. You were a big help explaining and I appreciate it! Thanks!

I understand that most people probably do dyno sessions for their tuning but reality is most people (I hope) aren't doing 3rd & 4th gear pulls in their dd routine. That said, we now have a total of six e36'es in the family with 2-3 of the cars being driven on a daily basis. My kids think I'm crazy however I've installed a 'carputer' in each of the three cars that are routinely driven. I had a pile of those machines laying around so I put them in the trunk of the cars. I soldered up a simple relay situation that is tapped into ignition power which drives a 12V to 120V power inverter and set the bios in the machines to: upon power failure resume last state (turns itself back on every time car is started). I also wrote a small script that brings up an on-screen keyboard and INPI as well as RomRaider's logging feature.

I flashed each of the 41.1 DME's with 41.2 firmware. I expect to see much "car learning" and auto-correction over the next few days/weeks. Is it safe to assume that I can start by (saving an original copy so I can revert) adjusting the correction values down to zero to establish a decent base tune and then as I learn, tweak individual values (such as WOT #'s) to increase various characteristics that I desire?

Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

UH,oh....so the install went good, but i cant connect to my car???
    Look at your device manager and make sure that your cable is set to same COM port that you specified during the setup/install.

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5.0
    My kids think I'm crazy however I've installed a 'carputer' in each of the three cars that are routinely driven.
    That sounds brilliant. Do you have a display mounted in the cars or do you just hook one up when needed? Got any pictures?

My Cars
    X5, R90/6
    Currently no display. I can get a photo up at some point. Right now it's just a little project box with three wires (two + and one -) sticking out of it on one side and a cigarette lighter plug on the other side. one wire goes to negative at the battery and one goes to positive at the battery. Other wire (small) I ran up to the fuel pump hot. That wire is what trips the relay on/off. When fuel pump is on, relay switches power on to the 12+ cigarette lighter. Plugged into the cigarette lighter is a cheap $25 120v power inverter. Plugged into that is this el-cheapo mini-PC.

No display, no screen, nothing other than the relay (power) box, power inverter and mini pc. This is still VERY much a WIP. I screwed up it seems and forgot to sort out filenames so files were overwriting each other every time the car was turning on. Looking into writing a script where upon startup the files in the default logging directory will be saved into a new directory arranged with date & timestamps.

I'm also looking at trying to find a decent (cheap) eBay (Intel x86) tablet that will run Beta Ubuntu Touch. This would let me run things in WINE (and possibly not sure yet, a VM) inside the tablet. That means I can mount the thing up within site/access of the driver, power it from the 12+ cigarette lighter on the dash/center console and have a touch screen.

Have to get some work done to pay the bills but will get some more info up ASAP. Happy to post photos as well as the code/scripts I wrote (they are very simple) and parts lists as well as how to configure Touch on a tablet (if/when I get it sorted).

My biggest concern is the USB ports. A Surface would probably be ideal for this but I don't have any and I'm not about to go buy a few. Although it's not cheap the Surface would have the USB ports. An older Intel-based tablet is going to be slow and only have USB-B or USB-C ports (one or maybe two if I'm lucky) which means I'm talking trying to get a USB-A to USBB/C adapter/splitter that allows for power and a device, that the car, inpa, RR, MS41 flash, the tablet and Ubuntu Touch all recognize.

Thoughts? Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

EDIT: Am I somewhat correct in that if I just log everything and anything I can and then slowly go through and update the tables correcting them so that they do not have correction values going forward from learning/adaptation, that i'll be good/happy?

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Logging will help set good baseline fueling and ignition advance. However WOT fuel isn't managed by closed loop adaptations, so wideband lambda is the only way to tune that.

Not sure if you got my text message for the reply to other questions, but if not, I can repeat.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    X5, R90/6
    Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    Logging will help set good baseline fueling and ignition advance. However WOT fuel isn't managed by closed loop adaptations, so wideband lambda is the only way to tune that.

Not sure if you got my text message for the reply to other questions, but if not, I can repeat.
    That's what I meant. Sorry if it was not articulated properly. I put 41.2 (base flash) on the cars. I'd like to get the closed-loop baseline dialed in so that there is zero correction factor by the DME. From there I think I need to do a LOT of learning (and logging) to start dialing in the WOT settings.

My Cars
    98 Z3 M Roadster
    Any recommendation on the ADS interface, your first post lists recommended USB options. Was wondering if the same exists for the ADS.

Also how did you attach it? Machine with actual serial? I think I saw a post where you said you used some kind of express card (PCI Express?) did this work?

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by GBPaterson View Post
    Any recommendation on the ADS interface, your first post lists recommended USB options. Was wondering if the same exists for the ADS. Also how did you attach it? Machine with actual serial? I think I saw a post where you said you used some kind of express card (PCI Express?) did this work?
    ADS needs an actual serial port you can't use a USB port. Some people claim it works with pcmcia serial port card. If you need a ADS interface you can get one from a couple sources. Look up "tiny ads interface" or look up "Gert's Cable"

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    All correct. I have a TinyADS from benemorious, for the occasional need. ADS needs a functional serial port, but this has worked http://blog.jaroslavklima.com/2011/0...cmcia.html?m=1 with a decent quality expresscard/PCMCIA for some.
    I will try to get a few pics of mine working on an old Dell Inspiron I have.

Not to deter you from ADS, but more curious... What modules are you trying to reach but cannot with the USB cable?
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    We have huge success!!

ADS running through Expresscard 34 Serial port!
    On a laptop without a built in serial port, using http://blog.jaroslavklima.com/2011/0...cmcia.html?m=1 method. Running on Win7 x86, EDIABAS 6.4.3 here for proof of concept, but will be updating to 6.4.7.

Battery on recognized (it changes live on and off),

IMG_20160323_201431re.jpg

Ignition sense (it changes live on and off)

IMG_20160323_201642re.jpg

Extra details, proof. TinyADS and the "Best Connectivity" Expresscard Serial port, that has I/O Range in Resources tab in Device Properties.

IMG_20160323_201755re.jpg

Glad I don't need to find an older laptop for this.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    98 Z3 M Roadster
    Ok...I am contemplating a more adventurous project

http://wiki.minnowboard.org/MinnowBoard_Turbot

Going to try wire one to a TinyADS (No Connectors version) and look at building an entire PC into the car with INPA.

The Minnowboard has UARTs so it should be possible to wire in.

My Cars
    X5, R90/6
    Quote Originally Posted by GBPaterson View Post

Going to try wire one to a TinyADS (No Connectors version) and look at building an entire PC into the car with INPA.

This is a very interesting approach.

After stumbling across this thread on another forum, I started looking into trying to find an Intel x86-based tablet that would run the current beta of Ubuntu Touch --so that I can run this stuff via USB + WINE and have touch screen access, etc. right from inside the car. I have PM'ed two others here on this forum (well 328 Power 04 and one other) as well as one guy over on the RomRaider forum (Subaru guy) and I have a good friend who is a MB guy and also is a CTO (chief tech. officer) who is working on something similar to the MS41 flash tool and an in-car touch screen solution for the MB world.

I'd be happy to facilitate introductions so we all can work together. Not sure where would be best place (new thread, this thread, programming section, etc.) to put our stuff. Don't want to derail 328 Power 04's thread but it's also nice to have everything in one place.

Can I ask how you would wire the TinyADS into the board? (which connector and by what means?) I assume you'd want to use a ribbon cable or similar and overlay the TinyADS like a daughter board so it can all be in the same case/project box? If this is a proprietary project of yours (meaning you want to make something to sell later on) I'm happy to give you a brain dump on what I/we have put together so far as long as you'll provide a few sample units when you start making them

We've been looking at Intel x86 hardware vs. stuff like the Pi (ARM architecture) so that we can run some flavor of Linux (not limited to Ubuntu & Touch) and WINE or emulate the ports into a VM inside Linux. We've been talking about doing it as a hobby/fun/not to make $ but also at the same time we have interest in 'carputer' folks who would want to use it both for data logging and programming as well as nav/maps/music purposes which makes things more challenging.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Quote Originally Posted by GBPaterson;2

I apologize if I am mistaken, but isn't the UART essentially the same thing as a USB to serial converter? What chip does it use for conversion? FTDI, Prolific, CP2102, etc?
    That would have problems working with ADS. ADS needs a true working serial, and will not work with converters.

I am just slightly familiar with UART because I have used a USB TTL board to reprogram a tuning interface's chips. It was pretty much just a USB to serial adapter that wouldn't give the ADS all the connections it needs.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

Page 10 of 46 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast