Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast

Thread: The Z3 Diagnostics Thread: Instructions, Experiences, Discussions, Experimentation

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    We're here to help, no problem.
    This is all on a Surface Pro?

1. So you installed the INPA pack completely without issue?

2. Your device manager says the USB cable is COM1?

3. The C:\EDIABAS\BIN\OBD.ini file says "Port=Com1"

(Some users reported that COM1 isn't good to use on some devices because of interference with other ports, but on Surface Pro, it's ok)

Let us know how it is with the cable plugged into the car.

- - - Updated - - -

Also make sure that you have ran C:\Ediabas\Hardware\Obd\OBDSetup.exe
    Last edited by 328 Power 04; 06-27-2015 at 02:06 PM.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    IFH-0003 Data Transmission Disturbed. Not plugged into the car qualifies as being disturbed.

/.randy

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    After receiving my tinyADS, I experimented with an older INPA and ADS. In the case of Z3, there were not many advantages, nor did it open up many (if any) other modules. I would think that there isn't a big need for me creating a custom INPA pack for ADS systems is there? ADS is better when used with DIS anyways.

The pack I uploaded is USB only.

I will be updating the current pack to directly include the English translation to NCSExpert, and updated to version 4.0.1 which works with all Windows, x86 and 64-bit.
    Last edited by 328 Power 04; 06-22-2015 at 01:00 PM.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Did the ADS crack the S52 cluster? If not then.....

BTW, I was tinkering last night, so I tried bringing up INPA without being connected to a car. 0003 was the result.

/.randy

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    Did the ADS crack the S52 cluster? If not then.....
    I didn't get to check my S52 Coupe's cluster yet with the ADS actually. I'm building up a laptop now (no serial port, will be using an Expresscard RS232 true Serial adapter) for ADS usage. The efforts are much much greater than what it unlocks for Z3. But for good science, I will do it. I will put DIS on it just for fun as well.

Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    BTW, I was tinkering last night, so I tried bringing up INPA without being connected to a car. 0003 was the result.
    Just did that as well, the cable was within reach. IFH 0003 as well when not connected to car.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    Hi Guys.

Success, the software is now communicating with the Bimmer! Now I need some pointers on how to use the software. I have a 2001 M Roadster, so what is the basic process I need to go through to see what is going on with my SRS Airbag light? I tried selecting F9 and selected the E36 model form the "old models", then I picked "Chassis" and then Airbag. Hit return. I get some screens, that I can scroll through, but the first one is a bunch of "Ignition" related statuses. I see some settings related to the passenger seat sensor which it says is "OK", and it says the seat belts are "unbuckled", or something to that effect. Am I looking in the right place? How can I find the specific error that is causing the Airbag light to be on? How do I clear the light? On the first screen, the "Ignition 1" section is complaining about some kind of "belt tensioner" problem. Is that the SEAT BELT tensioner that it is referring to? It's kind of throwing me off, as I'm not sure what the Ignition has to do with belt tension. I was thinking at first that might be an engine code.

What specific settings for the Engine and such should I be using with the 2001 M Roadster, as they don't seem to list it specifically, nor do I see E36/7? I AM a programmer by trade, so once I know what codes to use for my car and the general flow, I should stop being a question leach and start getting a grasp so I can help others down the pike.

Thanks again for all of your help!

Lee
    Last edited by JesusFreakToo; 06-26-2015 at 08:27 PM.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Under the airbag menu, there is a button for errors. It's there, you will see it.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    02 e367, 08 Acura TL-S
    Whoa. I am not sure how I missed this thread.

I have a laptop (XP) designated for the Z3. Someone built it for me last year and I never had success connecting. I have both OBII and an attached BMW under-hood connector.

So question: should I wipe and scrap what I have? Just go with what is in 1st post?

-Todd

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Quote Originally Posted by lokijibber View Post
    Whoa. I am not sure how I missed this thread.

I have a laptop (XP) designated for the Z3. Someone built it for me last year and I never had success connecting. I have both OBII and an attached BMW under-hood connector.

So question: should I wipe and scrap what I have? Just go with what is in 1st post?
    If you are using a USB cable, the pack in the first post will work well. Connection problems are very likely to be that your cable is a different COM port number than what EDIABAS uses, defined in C:\EDIABAS\BIN\OBD.INI file.

If you want to reinstall the complete pack,
    Delete (or zip up, as a backup) the following folders: C:\EC-APPS , C:\EDIABAS , C:\INPA (if present), C:\NCSEXPER , C:\NCSEXPER.$$$ (if present)

Then install with provided instructions. You can skip the 'Environment Variables' step, because it would already be there. It never hurts to check if it is there.
    Last edited by 328 Power 04; 06-27-2015 at 02:07 PM.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    Under the airbag menu, there is a button for errors. It's there, you will see it.

Of which Airbag menu do you speak? The one where the pop up opens to select the Model/Chassis/Airbag option? Or something on the main screen after that selection is made?

Is there a basic cheat sheet/overview of the diagnostic program floating around somewhere?

Thanks!

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Quote Originally Posted by JesusFreakToo View Post
    Of which Airbag menu do you speak? The one where the pop up opens to select the Model/Chassis/Airbag option? Or something on the main screen after that selection is made?

Is there a basic cheat sheet/overview of the diagnostic program floating around somewhere?

Thanks!

The main screen gives you the option of which BMW/Mini model you want to diagnose. When you get to your model, (example E36 in the OLD menu) you have pretty much all possible available modules that came in that car chassis. From there you individually choose which module you want to scan, and you scan one at a time.

When you select to the airbag menu (exactly, model > body > airbag option) INPA reads your airbag module's data and gives you the options of reading Info, Identity, Errors, status, etc. If you are in the airbag module, you are doing NOTHING with engine control module, or anything else.

There are no cheat sheets or help files on how to use it. It's not a hard program. It is as basic as they come. It is also not targeted to end-user consumers, since it's used mostly by the developers. But it is very functional and powerful, more than any aftermarket solution.

You can't prepare yourself (online especially) on how to use INPA too much... you just have to get in there and use it. Spend some time with it, and explore which modules on your car you can read, and which you can't. Reading info, identification, errors, and status will not hurt anything. Explore away. Any menu with 'activate' in it will have the module activate a certain behavior that the module is designed to do.

Get curious.
    Last edited by 328 Power 04; 06-27-2015 at 01:52 PM.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    The main screen gives you the option of which BMW/Mini model you want to diagnose. When you get to your model, (example E36 in the OLD menu) you have pretty much all possible available modules that came in that car chassis. From there you individually choose which module you want to scan, and you scan one at a time.

When you select to the airbag menu (exactly, model > chassis > airbag option) INPA reads your airbag module's data and gives you the options of reading Info, Identity, Errors, status, etc. If you are in the airbag module, you are doing NOTHING with engine control module, or anything else.

There are no cheat sheets or help files on how to use it. It's not a hard program. It is as basic as they come. It is also not targeted to end-user consumers, since it's used mostly by the developers. But it is very functional and powerful, more than any aftermarket solution.

You can't prepare yourself (online especially) on how to use INPA too much... you just have to get in there and use it. Spend some time with it, and explore which modules on your car you can read, and which you can't. Reading info, identification, errors, and status will not hurt anything. Explore away. Any menu with 'activate' in it will have the module activate a certain behavior that the module is designed to do.

Get curious.
    I appreciate the overview. I AM CURIOUS, but BECAUSE it's not an end user tool, I'm also being CAUTIOUS! I don't want to wipe the computer on my beautiful M Roadster. LOL.

Is the E36 model the one we want for an M Roadster? Since I chose the Airbag module, are those errors I'm seeing listed (Ignition 1 to 8 I believe) actual Airbag related errors? If that is the case, and I'm getting Ignition 1 as "Belt Tensioner", is that indicative of a problem with the Seat Belt Tensioner device being the problem child causing my my Airbag light?

MUCH, MUCH appreciated all the help guys.

Lee

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    INPA will not do any damage to computer modules. It does not flash, it does not program, it does not code. (That's what NCSExpert and WinKFP are for ).

Yes, you will use the E36 profile for all Z3s, because they are E36s afterall.

I think what you are seeing "Ignition 1 - 8" are STATUS of those sensors in live mode. NOT errors, just live feedback. You will see some of those change when you insert a seatbelt into the latch, etc. Status is useful for in-depth diagnosing when something isn't clear.

When you enter the Airbag section (E36 > Body > Airbag), I believe the 4th button (also F4) on the bottom is "Error" click that and then read error memory. It will tell you in words and error code what the problem is. Feel free to post a screenshot here. You can clear the errors on that menu as well (E36 > Body > Airbag > Error > clear errors).

Other modules on Z3 can be found as follows:

Engine (ECU, DME) is under E36 > Engine > (choose your ecu, see first thread post, for a few options)
    Transmission (only automatics) E36 > Transmission > (choose your TCU)
    Chassis (basically ABS and DSC modules) E36 > Chassis > (choose your ABS/DSC... My S52 Coupe has ABS5 ASC5... My roady has "DSC e46"... My 328is has ABS MK4G) Trial and error to find yours.
    Body (airbag, and other body modules for Z3.) E36 > Body > (Airbag, EWS Security, Instrument cluster KOMBI, Cruise Control GR2, Central body electronics ZKE)

So each of the modules you connect to will have an Info, Identification, Errors, Status, Activate ... etc button. Most of the time you will use the error menu, and read errors, fix, and clear as needed.
    Last edited by 328 Power 04; 06-27-2015 at 01:48 PM.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    10/96 BMW Z3 Roadster

No flash/program/code reset maybe?

Hello,

Lucky to find this thread, also respectfully aware about being a question leach so I have done my best to glean info from your advice to others on INPA setup. This is my first post on any forum, I inherited a Z3 4 years ago (Dad's) and 4 months ago left the key in the accessory on position for <30 minutes/shut key off and waited 2hrs/returned to a no crank situation/not battery related.
    Fast forward, I have communication with my 10/96 Z3 1.9 roadster via the 20 pin/laptop/usb, can look at DME and EWS and others using INPA. I've seen the ISN code that needs to be written to EWS. I select the body group, choose EWS and the errors show error ecu rejected. I clear it, F1 to activate, expecting a box to allow entry of the 3 ISN digits listed in the DME information...but the box never appears...minutes pass. Everything else with INPA is so instantaneous but this hangs.
    Is this even a reset INPA can accomplish? Also, I did need to make a wired connection from pin 16 (on round end) to pin 1 of the OBD2 end to get the "ignition on" circle to go black.

Respectfully,
    Greg

[QUOTE=328 Power 04;28637033]INPA will not do any damage to computer modules. It does not flash, it does not program, it does not code. (That's what NCSExpert and WinKFP are for ).

My Cars
    10/96 BMW Z3 Roadster
    Hello,

Lucky to find this thread, also respectfully aware about being a question leach so I have done my best to glean info from your advice to others on INPA setup. This is my first post on any forum, I inherited a Z3 4 years ago (Dad's) and 4 months ago left the key in the accessory on position for <30 minutes/shut key off and waited 2hrs/returned to a no crank situation/not battery related.
    Fast forward, I have communication with my 10/96 Z3 1.9 roadster via the 20 pin/laptop/usb, can look at DME and EWS and others using INPA. I've seen the ISN code that needs to be written to EWS. I select the body group, choose EWS and the errors show error ecu rejected. I clear it, F1 to activate, expecting a box to allow entry of the 3 ISN digits listed in the DME information...but the box never appears...minutes pass. Everything else with INPA is so instantaneous but this hangs.
    Is this even a reset INPA can accomplish?

Also, I did need to make a wired connection from pin 16 (on round end) to pin 1 of the OBD2 end to get the "ignition on" circle to go black.

Respectfully,
    Greg
    Last edited by Dadnabbit; 07-01-2015 at 01:14 PM.

My Cars
    02 e367, 08 Acura TL-S
    Wow! impressive first post sir!

(Sorry I can't help. I always thought I was tech savvy until this shit came around)

-Todd

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadnabbit View Post
    Hello,

Is this even a reset INPA can accomplish?

Also, I did need to make a wired connection from pin 16 (on round end) to pin 1 of the OBD2 end to get the "ignition on" circle to go black.

Respectfully,
    Greg
    This is great that you figured this all out. But why do you want to write the ISN to the EWS? If you did not change your EWS or your DME, this is not necessary, even if the battery if off for years. The code is stored in permanent storage in the modules.

Also, there should be an automatic DME to EWS align process in INPA. I believe I've seen it on the DME menus before on other DMEs.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    This is great that you figured this all out. But why do you want to write the ISN to the EWS? If you did not change your EWS or your DME, this is not necessary, even if the battery if off for years. The code is stored in permanent storage in the modules.

Also, there should be an automatic DME to EWS align process in INPA. I believe I've seen it on the DME menus before on other DMEs.

Oh my goodness, I'm a programmer by trade, but this is some major acronym soup being poured out here. LOL.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Well now that you are digging into BMW repair, and general car repair, you will learn much more. Programmer help is always needed on the tuning/flashing side.

EWS - Elektronische Wegfahr Sperre - Electronic drive-away protection (car security)
    DME - Digital Motor Electronics (aka ECU, ECM)

http://www.bmwsections.com/info/abbreviations.php
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    10/96 BMW Z3 Roadster

Oh no!

Oh no...months of missteps and shadow bowling only to deliver a spectacular gutterball. I've come to the right place, and have marveled at the keen assistance this forum has delivered. Really gives me hope! I've been submerged in this process so long that I have a bag of clean plastic recyclables occupying the V between the windshield and the always open hood.
    Why ISN to EWS? Early in my forum trolling I somehow became persuaded that an aged BMW could easily become confused and come to believe it had been stolen. I suspected the clever EWS2. That combined with all the diagnostic Kung Fu I could muster from my years as a Volvo/Toyota/VW ($6.25/hr!) (1987 )dealership drone, led me to realize how far over my head this very simple BMW car is. So, must be a computer thing. That was my thinking.
    ALIGN! That's the word I was looking for. At this point I need to step back and turn off my tunnel vision.
    You know how on a custom Win PC build if you have 2 sticks of ram, one bigger than the other and you put the smaller one in the first slot she won't boot? It's something everybody knows but it is not written anywhere but rather assumed.
    That's what this adventure is like. Cars are now computerized allowing amazing power and features to be controlled. This forum is vital to creating an info base that will save many people weeks of guess work. Kudos.
    Last edited by Dadnabbit; 07-02-2015 at 12:40 PM.

My Cars
    10/96 BMW Z3 Roadster
    Check this out!
    Took pics of INPA error list with cell phone and google translated the german. This is from EWS module error list:
    Falscher Wechselcode bei Schluessel Nummer 0
    Incorrect rolling code for Key duh...

I have a bad schluessel. As I only have one schluessel it must be number 0...and it is bad. Not an uncommon failure, nothing lasts forever. Am I wrong? (Keb Mo) great blues song.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Can you give me the error code number? Or post the picture?
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    10/96 BMW Z3 Roadster

Here's the pics

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    If you clear the EWS codes, do they come back? The status screen is normal I believe.

Strange why the chip is not being recognized. Is it the car's original key chip?
    That kind of memory doesn't get forgotten.
    Last edited by 328 Power 04; 07-06-2015 at 03:15 PM.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    10/96 BMW Z3 Roadster

Yes they return

They return after clearing. Don't know if it is the original key. Can you tell by a pic?
    Last edited by Dadnabbit; 07-06-2015 at 04:28 PM. Reason: incomplete info

Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast