Page 28 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: The Z3 Diagnostics Thread: Instructions, Experiences, Discussions, Experimentation

My Cars
    1998 Z3 M Roadster.
    Thanks. Will run over the part 3 again and get back to you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1998 Z3 M Roadster.
    Ok success,

Many thanks for you help.

Seems to be working well I can connect and see the various options.

No error codes.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 M Roadster.
    Spent some time playing with the software today.

I understand that all options on the E36 are not applicable.

One that did surprise me was the

model, Body, then Instrument Cluster

All I get is an error message.

No access to reset service lights.

Is this typical? I’m going via the connector under the hood

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Yes, normal when using a USB cable.

Cluster and some ABS/ASC modules in pre-facelift Z3s require a special interface (a cable called ADS) that communicates only through a true serial port. Also much harder to set up. So it's a small tradeoff for being able to use the convenience of USB.
    Use the ground to pin method for resetting.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    1998 Z3 M Roadster.
    Many thanks

My Cars
    -
    Not all pre-facelift Z3's require a "true" serial cable for cluster and ABS access. I can access both just fine on mine with a USB cable, but I have no access to the body module (ZKE) weirdly enough.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Correct, facelift isn't the best term to use.
    Yours is technically a facelift when it comes to electronics. It uses E46 components rather than E36.

So a better way to put it, is if your Z3 is E36 based electronically, you will need ADS for cluster and ABS/ASC.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    '02 Z3, '09 Mini
    I'm using the recommended cable with INPA and win xp laptop on my 2002 3.0 Z3 and it works fine. But I also have a 2009 R55 Mini with N12 engine that I'm having issues with.

With the Mini, I was able to connect with INPA and look at some things like the airbag occupancy sensor. However, I am not able to connect with the DME. When I select motor > N12 (or any of the other engine choices) I get this error:

group file : D_MOTOR.
    SYS-0012: IDENTIFICATION ERROR.
    Program will be stopped!

Is this a data file missing or something? Can anything be done to get it to work?

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    You need to have an INPA K+DCAN cable for that car, is that what you are using?

If yes, then I'd have to investigate sometime.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    '02 Z3, '09 Mini
    Yes, I'm using an INPA K+DCAN cable (the one you recommended for Z3 a couple of years ago from 'tech_bravo' on ebay). Do I have to do anything to the pins in the cable or should it just work as I got it?
    Last edited by raubritter; 11-08-2018 at 04:54 PM.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    As long as your pins 7&8 are not bridged, then you need some files changed most likely. I will follow up by email when I get a chance.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Roadster
    I modified my cable and put a removable PCB jumper on pins 7+8. I can post pictures of the modification at some point, but I have to warn everyone that it's kind of ugly.

My Cars
    BMW 325i e36/ BMW M3 e92
    Hello everyone,

This is my first post on this forum and I think I knocked at the right door !
    I started reading this thread 4 days ago and I tried to gather as much information as I could in order not to ask already answered question.

I live in France ( excuse my english mistakes ) and I recently bought a 325i E36 if 1991.
    I have some issues with it ( like starting the engine, but once it runs, it runs very good).

That's why I would like to dial with it. I already tried the stomp method with the 5 hits of pedal but it doesn't seems to work on my car. (Method only available on US cars?)

The more I read this thread the less I'm confident with using INPA on my old E36.
    I started with the installation of INPA 5.0.2, then I realized that it couldn't work with my car so I found on the page 8 the version 4.4.7
    I found a laptop running in 32 bits because 328 Power 04 said that it won't work with 64 bits.
    At first I thought it was only realizable with a serial ports then I saw you posted this link in order to go with the USB port : http://blog.jaroslavklima.com/2011/0...cmcia.html?m=1
    Am I right?

When trying to install INPA there is a screen where you have to choose : BMW Group Rectification Programs US
    What do I have to choose for European cars ?

This is my very first steps in this world but I'm very willing to learn.
    I took as many useful infos as I could when reading the thread but I needed to post to present myself to you.

I have a friend of mine which is more familiar with this than I am but he's not very familiar with INPA.

So, in your opinion, is it a realizable thing to hope dialing with this E36 equipped only with ADS?

Thank you so far for your help.

Thomas

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    1991 is too old to use INPA, even if you have an ADS interface for car communication. You would need DIS on virtual machine.
    INPA was designed around ~1995 to 2019++ BMWs.

Also the pcmcia method for serial port does not work correctly with ADS, so it will be better to get a laptop with a real serial port... Or a more modern Dell Latitude E6430 with the serial dock. The serial dock on that works just like a true serial port.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    BMW 325i e36/ BMW M3 e92
    Thank you for your quick answer.

So all the instructions that I read about INPA won't help me.
    Do you know wich version of DIS do I need? Is there some specification to be aware of?

I will begin these news research.

My Cars
    02 LSB Z3M Coupe
    328 Power 04, I tried to PM you but your PMs are full.
    Thanks for all of the help!

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Any version of DIS is fine. I do not have DIS anywhere, so some searching will be needed.

Sorry, my PM fills up all the time. Too much to keep up to.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    BMW 325i e36/ BMW M3 e92
    Thank you 328 Power 04, I found a version of DIS, have you ever used this program? Would you be able to help me on the installation if I am in trouble?

My Cars
    '02 Z3, '09 Mini
    Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    As long as your pins 7&8 are not bridged, then you need some files changed most likely. I will follow up by email when I get a chance.
    I did some searching and found this thread:
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/a...t-1673155.html

A lot of noise in it, but long story short this person updated his EDIABAS to a newer version which got him past the original error, but then had a new error and had to get a better version of a Mini specific file for it to work... Anyway, just thought I'd bring this up in case it helps.

Here are some INPA questions on my two cars with two different issues if anyone out there has any insight:

1) 2009 R55 Mini Clubman: 93C3 0C3 passenger occupancy sensor failure (you think the yaw sensor on the Z3 is bad... Ha! This prone to failure part requires you to buy a new lower seat for $1200 for another of the same prone to failure part... Or go the simulator route).

My question is, when I clear error memory with the bad part still installed, INPA says it is cleared, but then when I read errors again, the error is still there with the same error counter numbers as before as if I had never cleared it. I would expect the error to come back (since the problem is still there), but with a "1" error counter or something. Should I be able to clear this error?

2) Z3: (DSC and Brake lights on) 5E20 Pressure sensor 1 electrical failure. But if I go to INPA, Z3, Chassis, DSC Mk60, Analog to look at the brake pressure sensors, I can look at the other options, but Brake Pressure Sensors are greyed out so I can't access them. My first thought was #@#$, the DSC or ABS module... But wouldn't I have errors for BOTH pressure sensors, not just sensor 1?

Any thoughts on why I can't look at Brake Pressure Sensor analog data?

3) Both: With the Mini, I have the option of 'functional jobs' in the root directory (after selecting Mini R55 from the start INPA screen). Then I have the option of Mini R56 (mine is R55 but I guess it's close enough) and I get a sort of overview screen and can go into 'read errors' and get a summary of ALL errors present on ALL subsystems (except DME since I can't currently communicate with it). This is pretty useful... But there is no 'functional jobs' option on the Z3. Is there any way to get a summary of all current errors on one screen for the Z3 (rather than going to each subsystem to read errors manually)? That would be really helpful.

Anyway, any thoughts are appreciated.
    Last edited by raubritter; 11-27-2018 at 09:26 AM. Reason: fix dsc name

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    The ediabas in this pack is the newest available, but I suspect the script files it uses for Mini dme are the issue. It would take some searching to find which file goes with it. One other problem is that there are so many different dmes used on the Minis depending on production date and specific model.

1. On these newer cars when you clear it, you will need to cycle the ignition. If it doesn't clear, then the error was still there, even when it tried to clear it, so it may not even attempt more. Newer cars have much more complex diagnostics, with many modules involved (for example gateway module) when diagnosing a particular module. It will not be as basic as the Z3.

2. I would replace the pressure sensors (used should be cheap), or check their connections if you haven't already done so. I have 'DSC e46' in my Z3, and that part of analog measurements works.

3. Functional jobs only exists on cars with a gateway module. Gateway module collects all that data itself.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    '02 Z3, '09 Mini
    Ah, I see... Thanks Abel!

My Cars
    '02 Z3, '09 Mini
    Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    2. I would replace the pressure sensors
    Would you normally replace both, or just the one with the electrical failure?

Reason I ask is, I replaced the bad one (sensor 1, closest to front of car) and cleared the error (also made sure brake fluid was full, but did NOT bleed brakes). Went for a 30mi test drive that day, then about a 75mi drive (one way) a few days later with no problems. Then, after I restarted the car, a few minutes of driving and right after taking a sharp curve the DSC and Brake lights came back on. #@$#.

Stopped the car a few minutes later for lunch, and after restarting the lights were gone, but came back after a few minutes of driving (straight line, no curves or braking). At the end of this drive stopped at a gas station. Again, after restarting the lights stayed out for the first few minutes then came back.

I checked INPA when I got back, and now it's sensor 2 that has an electrical failure.... (5E21 I think). That's the only error. When sensor 1 failed, the error showed up as soon as the car moved after starting. With this one, it takes a few minutes for the error light to turn on after each restart. My first thought is there is an air bubble (maybe introduced when I changed sensor 1) that is out of the way (or contracted) when the car is started and then makes its way (or expands) to interfere with sensor 2 after a few minutes.

Or could it really be that both (original) sensors could fail within weeks of each other at almost exactly the same years and mileage? I changed/flushed/bled the brake fluid 1 year ago (not many miles on car in that time).

My plan is to bleed brakes and see if that solves the problem. If not, I will order another sensor. Just seems unlikely that they would both fail so close to each other...?

My Cars
    '02 Z3, '09 Mini
    Since I was going to have to bleed the brakes anyway, I took advantage of the 'opportunity' to replace the stock clutch line with a stainless braided line from Bimmerworld (hoping to get a less clunky driveline engagement/disengagement when shifting). God, what a miserable brake-fluid soaked experience that was (however the part I was actually dreading, bleeding the clutch slave cylinder, turned out to be super easy).... But clutch action does feel better (not a huge improvement, but a noticeable one).

Anyway, after installing the line and bleeding the clutch slave cylinder, I went ahead and flushed the brakes too. Went on a long test drive today, and no brake pressure sensor errors showed up!!! Yay!!!!

Also, I did find brake pressure sensor analog data in INPA after all. It's under a different DSC menu option, Chassis/Mk60/Status/Analog/DSC Sensors.

Another thing I learned, since I don't remember it being mentioned here: on some INPA errors, you'll see "Error Counter" and "Logistics Counter." Error counter means how many times the error has registered, as you might expect. Logistics counter, however, starts at 40 and each time you have a drive cycle WITHOUT the error occurring, it will subtract one. So if you see Logistics Counter 40, you know the error occurred on the most recent drive cycle. But if it says 23, for instance, you'll know it hasn't happened for a while. Sort of tells you how 'fresh' the error is I guess. Anyway just thought I'd add that since I didn't know what it meant.

A question would be, what constitutes a drive cycle? After the drive I mentioned earlier where I got the error after 3 startups and drives, Error counter was 3 and logistics counter was 40 for error 5E21. But I then moved the car about a hundred feet to the shop so I could work on it and let it idle for about 10min. The error light did not come on. When I shut off the car and looked at INPA again, the error counter was 3 and logistics counter was still 40. I would have thought logistics counter would decrement to 39 since the error didn't occur during that drive... But I guess such a short drive didn't count as a drive cycle.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 325Ci
    Hello! This is my very first post. This thread is AWESOME and filled with TONS of info! "328 Power 04", you are the man I need to ask this to. I own a 2002 325Ci E46. I NEED to know 3 things,
    1. All of the software you provided the links to will work with my 2002 E46, correct?
    2. Exactly what USB cable would I need to buy for my E46?
    3. Will the software and correct cable allow me to replace modules if ever needed? i.e. perform
    a "Marriage" of the new module(s) to my E46 vehicle?
    These things asked, I do want to say, I am a 30+ year Ford Senior Master Technician. Specializing in drivability, electrical, electronics and module networking. I have a major obstacle right now......learning all of the BMW specific terms and specifics of BMW sub-systems, so please bear with my lack of BMW specifics as I am learning.
    Thanks YOU for your help and time in providing me with the correct answers to my above questions. You ARE very knowledgeable!

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by NSDAP1933; 12-26-2018 at 08:41 PM.

My Cars
    2013 nissan altima
    Hi,

I just joined the club. Recently purchased a E60 528i and would like to have a scan tool so I blindly followed the instruction. No success due to this error message during the main installation step (Standard_Tools_Setup_2.12.exe) My computer has Win 8 (64bit). Can anybody help me out to fix this problem and successfully install the program?

EDIABAS Error.jpg

Thanks in advance,

JW

Page 28 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast