Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast

Thread: The Z3 Diagnostics Thread: Instructions, Experiences, Discussions, Experimentation

My Cars
    E36-E367-E39-E53
    Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    Well

that wasnt in your instructions....lol
    ​~Mike

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Now it is
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    E36-E367-E39-E53
    So yesterday was a major break through, for me, in my BMW world....

Because of 328 Power 04, I am now capable of performing my own, complete, diagnostics on my BMW's and my future ones. Once I had this software up and running, it all became very simple. Most of everything in INPA is straight forward, I have yet to venture into NCS....
    The cheapest local INDY I found to perform this task was $79.00! And that's one car. So I saved some money yesterday and had fun doing it.

Yesterday I was able to:

Reset the airbag light
    Read the dsc fault codes-Steering angle sensor-not only did it tell me this, but I was able to view live data of what the car was "seeing" in the wheels.
    And viewed live info on my VANOS

I also read codes on my project e38.

On my e53 I reset the tranny adaptations and today I'm gonna poke around a lil more in that car. I would like to do a litle coding on the X.

This is such an awesome post and a must do for any enthusiast.

Thank You again 328 Power 04 for all your time and effort put into this post and your PM's.

And thanks Randy for telling me to turn the car on!
    ​~Mike

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Quote Originally Posted by HeliHover View Post
    So yesterday was a major break through, for me, in my BMW world....

Because of 328 Power 04, I am now capable of performing my own, complete, diagnostics on my BMW's and my future ones. Once I had this software up and running, it all became very simple. Most of everything in INPA is straight forward, I have yet to venture into NCS....
    The cheapest local INDY I found to perform this task was $79.00! And that's one car. So I saved some money yesterday and had fun doing it.

Yesterday I was able to:

Reset the airbag light
    Read the dsc fault codes-Steering angle sensor-not only did it tell me this, but I was able to view live data of what the car was "seeing" in the wheels.
    And viewed live info on my VANOS

I also read codes on my project e38.

On my e53 I reset the tranny adaptations and today I'm gonna poke around a lil more in that car. I would like to do a litle coding on the X.

This is such an awesome post and a must do for any enthusiast.

Thank You again 328 Power 04 for all your time and effort put into this post and your PM's.

And thanks Randy for telling me to turn the car on!
    You're absolutely welcome. Glad to be of help, the indy's will start hating me, oh well. Many of them call me in Houston to help them.

No worries about the ignition on deal... actually I should have put that in the instructions.

Still never as bad as the time when I couldn't find my sunglasses while at a local racetrack. I was with my wife, finished fueling up with delicious high octane, and then I freaked out because I couldn't find my sunglasses, and everyone was going on the track. The excitement got the best of me, I kept on asking my wife if she's seen my sunglasses.... to which she just started laughing very hard. I guess they're so comfortable you forget they're on...
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    02 e367, 08 Acura TL-S
    Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    One of the late night sessions at ZFest last weekend was configuring a recalcitrant INPA installation. We finally traced the issue to the 16-20 pin adapter. I finally got a chance to look at the "bad" adapter. Turns out TxD2 isn't wired up at all. Since this particular installation was from an eastern European country, I'm guessing they used an adapter that didn't take the US-centric TxD2 line into consideration.

So if you have an installation that gives an error 0009 with the 20pin, but connects to the DME okay with the 16 pin, open the adapter and bridge pin 17 to 20.
    Thanks for your help on this one. I actually think I am going to get rid of that software and download the one here.

I have another SRS light and I get a "language not compatible" error when scanning, then the error code description is written in German. I cleared the error, and it was IMMEDIATELY back. As in it says "erase successful", scan again and it's back.

-Todd

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    German code numbers look surprisingly like English numbers. I should be able to come up with a description from the number.

/.randy

My Cars
    '02 Z3 3.0i 5 speed

Still never as bad as the time when I couldn't find my sunglasses while at a local racetrack. I was with my wife, finished fueling up with delicious high octane, and then I freaked out because I couldn't find my sunglasses, and everyone was going on the track. The excitement got the best of me, I kept on asking my wife if she's seen my sunglasses.... to which she just started laughing very hard. I guess they're so comfortable you forget they're on...
    Reminds me of the time in school I was looking for my pencil. It was in my hand.

And another heartfelt thanks for posting this stuff and walking us through the install.

My Cars
    E36-E367-E39-E53
    So now that I have my software sorted, I would like to try some coding. I think I should be using NCS .... And that's about it. Looking for some direction.

I know it is posible, on my X5, to code fogs on w/ high beams. I figure it should be posible on my Z and I really want this option. Thinking this would be a good place to start.
    ​~Mike

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Quote Originally Posted by HeliHover View Post
    So now that I have my software sorted, I would like to try some coding. I think I should be using NCS .... And that's about it. Looking for some direction.

I know it is posible, on my X5, to code fogs on w/ high beams. I figure it should be posible on my Z and I really want this option. Thinking this would be a good place to start.

It would be VERY similar to this procedure, but on the light control module (LCM).

BMW E36 IHKA.pdf

This is just the procedure of changing the E36 climate control from Celsius to Fahrenheit.

- - - Updated - - -

Post the Read (Lesen) data, FSW_PSW.TRC from the X5 LCM. That way we can analyze the settings.

Do NOT run any actual coding data writing (SG_Codieren... etc) ONLY lesen.

Also, IF you get an error in German regarding FSW_PSW or similar at anytime, open the FSW_PSW.TRC and FSW_PSW.MAN and erase its text and save it blank.

OR learn how to use NCSDummy program.
    Last edited by 328 Power 04; 08-28-2015 at 11:05 PM.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    E36-E367-E39-E53
    You said post the LCM file from my X. I would like to preform this code on my Z. Do we need to look at the X's first, in order to code the Z?

- - - Updated - - -

So reading through your PDF, and knowing what I think I know, I'm trying to put this together in my head and correct me if I'm wrong. Coding on NCS is basically extracting/coping a file (program) out of a module and saving it to your PC. Then on your PC, you open that file in notepad, (which is what I used when I was fooling around with programming years back) and tweak the program. You then take the modified program and install that over your current file in the module you just extracted/copied from. Am I computing this correctly?
    ​~Mike

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Sorry, I assumed it was only for the X5.

E36 based cars have no LCM and it is all controlled by good old basic relays. So you have to change the relay behavior.

- - - Updated - - -

To answer your second post, it's almost that, yes. NCSExpert reads the internal coding of each module and interprets the behavior individually. It also handles Vehicle Order coding, based on factory settings. Only a couple of modules hold the VO code, the rest just hold basic settings.

For example it is one bit change to the vehicle order code to change the whole car from auto to manual... So you would edit the car's VO code and let NCSExpert re-interpret the code and write back to the car modules with the interpreted settings.

You can also manually change the individual settings in each module to deviate from factory behavior in just that module if you wish.
    Last edited by 328 Power 04; 08-29-2015 at 12:34 PM.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    E36-E367-E39-E53
    Ahh Bummer about the fog/high beam deal. So when my high beam relay comes on, there is also a signal that goes to the fog relay to shut it off? If I find that signal and disconnect it, would I achieve my goal?

I know there are a host of items to code on my X, what can be coded on the Z as far as adding options? For instance, its against US federal law for these options to be available here the US, (windows up w/ fob, high beams and fogs, eruo flashers, ect.), and this was coded out/not coded at the factory. I can code my X (once I learn), to do all this. What was done to the Z, coding wise, to make it US friendly?
    ​~Mike

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    On Z3, I have looked very briefly into:
    -Instrument cluster coding, coolant temp needle behavior (to reduce the buffer zone, so you can see it moving as engine heats and cools), auto-to-manual coding (remove transmission light), a few others.

-DSC and ASC coding: very configurable, have not looked into changing anything yet. Examples, DSC interference levels, maybe DSC off with ignition. On DSC there is a provision for having a limited slip differential or not, as it would change DSC behavior.

-Airbag: enable/disable various components such as occupancy sensor, side airbags. Haven't edited any, for fear of disabling the fragile module with ECU Internal Error.

-General body module, can probably change hazards with accident behavior... Never tested.

-Cruise control, can probably tweak a few things, like maybe how much speed change with actuation of stalk.. Interesting

-ECU TCU may have some configurable options, but not sure if any useful ones.

If you are curious, you can do a "Lesen" job of each module and save its fsw_psw.trc every time for analyzing it.

- - - Updated - - -

If you want to see what the vehicle order code is deciphered as, you can check in the C:\NCSEXPER\DATEN\[chassis]\***ZST.000 file

Example for E36 deciphering:

C:\NCSEXPER\DATEN\E36\E36ZST.000 file, open it with notepad. It goes through all the options and how the code is built. You can also use it as a guide on how to make changes.

But this is only for the vehicle order code, also known as "SA" code in NCS.

NCSExpert just interprets this code, and then goes through each module and writes the appropriate settings when a complete car coding job is requested.

You can change individual module settings without ever changing the vehicle order (SA) code, and the result would be the same.
    Last edited by 328 Power 04; 08-29-2015 at 10:31 AM.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    1999 Euro Z3 M Coupé
    I use Rheingold ISTA/D when helping others with newer BMWs on a Win 7 laptop that can store the 30+ gb of files it requires.
    Can you use it on a Z3 (without an icom, just the cheap FTDI cable) then?

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Quote Originally Posted by Bianco View Post
    Can you use it on a Z3 (without an icom, just the cheap FTDI cable) then?
    Yes you can (I do on my 2000) but ISTA works best with e46 based Z3. On e36 based z3 it is quite limited, but still works. Yes with ftdi usb cable. I don't yet have an ICOM.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    1999 Euro Z3 M Coupé
    Can you elaborate on the "limited" concept?
    (I have a euro S50, so E36 based)

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Sorry for late reply. I'm in the middle of the Pacific at the moment .

When I connected ISTA to my 1996 328is, it recognized the car, but it didn't go through all the modules to scan them, but instead ista switched to a simple mode where it went module by module in a simple looking menu, running ecu scripts as INPA would. I briefly looked around but not too much.

On my 1999 M Coupé (S52us, ASC), it read all the modules (except KOMBI) on the maplist, but took about 15 minutes, where it normally does the whole read and FASTA data in about 1.5 minutes on other cars with my computer. Then when it all was done it didn't feel like it had the 100% functionality, ex: instead of finding ABL functions for service, I still had to go module by module to have ista do basic things. I still need to use it more on the car for experimentation. But it was not the usual ISTA experience.

On my 2000 Z3 roadster with M52TU and DSC, ISTA reads all modules and FASTA in very short time, and has all the right functions in the usual menus like scanning newer cars. It is 100% flawless and functional, even reads KOMBI.

All 3 cars were through the 20-pin port.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    Z3 2.2 Roadster
    VAG KKL USB OBD cable with FTDI FT232RL Chip. Yes as used for VW. It HAS to have the FTDI chip. Example of one: $18.50 USA Seller http://www.ebay.com/itm/291494545441
    Does anyone have any info of other usable cables? This one maybe $18.50, but it's an extra $30+ for shipping to me..... There are others which seem to be the same, but I'm not sure

My Cars
    E36-E367-E39-E53
    • WinKFP - Flashing (you need the Daten files for your car, and you need to load them to WinKFP - Very Advanced)

Having no luck finding these files. Where can I download these at? I'm looking for software updates for an e53 EGS and, well, ect.
    ​~Mike

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Look in the DATEN folder here https://drive.google.com/folderview?...xIRzhYTms#list

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jakechan View Post
    Does anyone have any info of other usable cables? This one maybe $18.50, but it's an extra $30+ for shipping to me..... There are others which seem to be the same, but I'm not sure
    I have used multiple copies of this cable from this seller with much success. Chinese seller free shipping http://www.ebay.com/itm/281312477303
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    E36-E367-E39-E53
    So on Sunday I spent a bit of time translating files from various vehicles that I've extracted from. Towards the end I translated the GM4 on my Z and found some interesting bits. I thought I found a calibration value for the speedo, but this didn't work out to well. There is a pulse input per kilo on the file which is 4663. I tried adjusting that value and things got a lil wacky. I'm wondering if a flash of some sort would be the way to change this value?

On another note I was able to code my windows to roll up & down without the key in the ignition!
    ​~Mike

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3
    Allright. I got the cables. I installed the software. I ran the error codes. all is well. What I can't find is the reset of the maintenance indicators. Help?

My Cars
    E36-E367-E39-E53
    Quote Originally Posted by n601ap View Post
    Allright. I got the cables. I installed the software. I ran the error codes. all is well. What I can't find is the reset of the maintenance indicators. Help?
    You can reset the lights by jumping two of the pins (7&19 I think) with the ignition in posistion 2.
    ​~Mike

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Quote Originally Posted by n601ap View Post
    Yep, key in ignition on run, engine off,

pin 7 to ground (pin 19, or just body of car) for 4 seconds for oil interval, 9-10 seconds for Inspection reset.

Even the fancy tools (TinyADS) do it this way, but at the push of a button it grounds pin 7 for the determined time.
    Last edited by 328 Power 04; 09-30-2015 at 07:11 PM.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    E36-E367-E39-E53
    I have a buddy with an 05' e53 and he's having some electrical issues. It's the battery or the alternator. Were putting in a new battery tonight. I was wondering if I can test the alternator with my software? Besides reading the output voltage is there anyway to moniter output amps or anything that would help me determine if it's bad or not?
    ​~Mike

Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast