Page 24 of 46 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: The Z3 Diagnostics Thread: Instructions, Experiences, Discussions, Experimentation

My Cars
    2008 135i coupe 6mt
    No, I'm getting a version error? When I check the CAS module it says:
    "Versions do not match. Malfunction possible!
    SGBD Version: 7.000 (in INPA)
    SGBD Version : 4.010
    INPA Version: 5.040"

When I check the airbags it says:
    "Error! Group file: D_SIM.GRP
    SYS-0012: IDENTIFICATION ERROR

Either your are using an antiquated ..\EDIABAS\ECU\T_GRTB.PRG file and/or the ecu gives a wrong variant index, diagnostic index, or from F01 onwards, SGBD index."

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    The error during your cas is 'normal' and doesn't affect function.

I have to find a couple of better files to fix the airbag script errors. It needs a better file for airbag type recognition.

Until then, if you are familiar with tool32, you can also manually clear airbag errors that way. (depending on which airbag system it has)
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    1x 1998, 1x 1999 Z3 QP
    @328 Power 04

As you described in the first post INPA was formerly designed for the development/validation phase....

Q: Are therefore some of the "failures" listed in the "shadow memory" wasn´t true because of e.g. missing probe in the production car...?

Would help me sort out wrong messages in my current debugging process
    Last edited by paulchen; 01-28-2018 at 08:06 AM.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 M-Roadster, 2007
    I recently got the INPA software installed and running so that it would be available when/if I get a CEL. I just changed the oil and I thought, "What the heck, I'll use INPA to reset the oil change indcator." INPA would not connect to the instrument cluster module, so I grounded pin 7 and went on about my business.

Is there a trick to connecting to the instrument cluster and resetting the oil change indicator? I've searched all through this thread trying to find a clue.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    The reset procedure is a function of the instrument cluster. WHICH on S52 and early single vanos Z3 requires a special interface called ADS to reach the L-line diag line (ADS is a whole can of worms).
    In other words the early (non-facelift) Z3s will not be able to do it with the USB cable. USB cable cannot understand L-line (older style) diagnostics, just K-line (newer).

Instrument cluster and *some* ABS/ASC modules require ADS. All others are K-line.
    Last edited by 328 Power 04; 01-29-2018 at 05:53 PM.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    Several
    I don't remember where I found it, but there is a virtualbox virtual machine floating around that already has a good bit of software loaded for you. Just plug your cable in and go. Cleared my airbag code just now.
    "If the Corvette is a rebellious child of the extended automotive family, the M coupe is the blackest of sheep." - via Car & Driver

My Cars
    2002 BMW Z3 3.0i
    Hi, I own a 2002 BMW Z3 3.0i. I bought the INPA toolset along with a K-DCAN cable. I have INPA and everything running fine, but when hooked up to the car (20Pin or OBD) it will not read ANYTHING. I know I am using the right scripts for my car. It states an error saying it can not communicate with my ECU of my car along with a bunch of “????” Beside of the word ECU. Not sure what’s goin in with that. Would really love to be able to read and diagnose my car. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks a lot.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Check the Connections Troubleshoot pdf file for instructions on the most common connectivity issue.

It's most likely a problem with your COM port number for "USB Serial Port" device in Device Manager, not matching up with what the C:\EDIABAS\Bin\OBD.ini file says.
    Last edited by 328 Power 04; 01-31-2018 at 08:10 AM.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2009 BMW 5.0I MSport
    328 Power 04 and other knowledgeable NCS users:

Great Thread. While I do not have a Z3, I have used your instruction and software in this post to setup a Windows 7 32 bit laptop to start coding my 2009 X6. INPA works and reads well, I have a total of 47 modules, some of which have gen. names with "????" which I find disturbing. After closing INPA, I get connected with NCS and everything works up to my attempt to code individual Modules. In NCS, once I read the VIN and VO in successfully and press the back button I get a Generic 1000 error and NO ECUs are available to program individually. I tried different NCS profiles and they all present the same error. I suspect the VO is not accurate with the current ECUs in the car. This was my first attempt at using NCS this, prior to this I used a BT cable and BT software to look at errors with no issues.

Other then my car being stock and dealer maintained, I recently replaced my EMF (parking brake module) and need to code the VIN into it. I can query the module and it is responding, but might be slightly different then what was originally installed. My car also has a Dinan Stage 2 upgrade to run the engine. Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot and fist NCS or the car so I can get a list of modules to come up without this generic error?

My Cars
    S54 e36/8; Tesla MY LR5
    Quote Originally Posted by ZubieX6 View Post
    328 Power 04 and other knowledgeable NCS users:

Great Thread. While I do not have a Z3, I have used your instruction and software in this post to setup a Windows 7 32 bit laptop to start coding my 2009 X6. INPA works and reads well, I have a total of 47 modules, some of which have gen. names with "????" which I find disturbing. After closing INPA, I get connected with NCS and everything works up to my attempt to code individual Modules. In NCS, once I read the VIN and VO in successfully and press the back button I get a Generic 1000 error and NO ECUs are available to program individually. I tried different NCS profiles and they all present the same error. I suspect the VO is not accurate with the current ECUs in the car. This was my first attempt at using NCS this, prior to this I used a BT cable and BT software to look at errors with no issues.

Other then my car being stock and dealer maintained, I recently replaced my EMF (parking brake module) and need to code the VIN into it. I can query the module and it is responding, but might be slightly different then what was originally installed. My car also has a Dinan Stage 2 upgrade to run the engine. Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot and fist NCS or the car so I can get a list of modules to come up without this generic error?
    I'm no expert, but isn't different software needed for newer cars? Does ISTA-D come into play here?

My Cars
    -
    Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    2. $9.05 Trusted China seller with quick shipping www.ebay.com/itm/272510048522

2. $4.00 Trusted China seller (same seller as above) www.ebay.com/itm/282319205178
    Both those links show that the item is not available anymore, are there any new links to known-working cables?

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Good catch, I will have to look for new ones, but not sure on what other trusted China sellers...

US seller may be recommended for now.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    S54 e36/8; Tesla MY LR5
    Glad I got mine last month!

My Cars
    2002 BMW Z3
    When you replaced it last time, did you do the calibration procedure (described somewhere in this thread)?

If yes, you can do the calibration again, which will make it work for a while... But eventually it fails again. Mine did.

I doubt it's water. My sensor was dry and it just lost calibration again and again.
    Something must be failing inside it.
    Well finally got to look at it again and it would not reset with TOOL32 just got errors again so decided to replace the sensor and lights stayed on with the same faults....

So tried to recalibrate with TOOL32 but once again got errors....... was about to give up but noticed that with INPA I could reset the offset of the sensor and all is now fine again.

Just don't know why I cant use TOOL32 to recalibrate the sensor???

My Cars
    skateboard
    I'm experiencing an issue where the turn signals will not work with the stalk(insert bmw drivers don't use turn signals anyways), but the hazard lights do work. No fuses appear to be blown as well. Anyone ever come across this issue here?

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    My computer will not recognize the car. I've been at this all day, so running out of things to do. My INPA screen has neither black circle on to indicate batt or ignition, and no files to look at. It has a little black dot on the left that bounces up and down. I followed instructions at the beginning of this thread, and bought the cables recommended. It seems that the INPA loaded properly. I downloaded the cable driver and it says it's working fine. I have COM1 to COM1, and 1msec latency. ??????? Any suggestions??????????

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Hmm, I would need to see what is going on. Too many factors. Send me a pm with your email or other contact info, and I can remote in with teamviewer and check it out (if you have wifi on the laptop, must install teamviewer program)

It's important to note that the two black dots for ignition and battery do not necessarily need to come on, and depends more on the cable design.

Have you tried going to E36 menu and connecting to Engine, or airbag module (20-pin must be used for this)?
    Last edited by 328 Power 04; 02-24-2018 at 05:33 PM.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Quote Originally Posted by GG///M3 View Post
    I'm experiencing an issue where the turn signals will not work with the stalk(insert bmw drivers don't use turn signals anyways), but the hazard lights do work. No fuses appear to be blown as well. Anyone ever come across this issue here?

Yes, happens all the time. Turn switch and hazard switch are common failure points. Lets start with Make/model/year stuff and I'll pull together specific test points.

/.randy

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    Nailed it, the light is out! I started from "0" and reloaded everything, reset everything, and it worked (The batt and ignition black-spot indicators never came on. The immediate indicator that I had fixed it was the list of choices for cars, which I had not seen before). So, I must have done something wrong the first time around??????? The codes were: passenger side bag, drivers side bag, and driver's seat belt tensioner. I cleared them, but the light kept coming back on and the only code was the tensioner. I took it apart and re-joined it with a little force, and the light was gone! I think I made about $2/hour at this project, but I'm satisfied. Plus, I'm now prepared for the future.

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    Hmm, I would need to see what is going on. Too many factors. Send me a pm with your email or other contact info, and I can remote in with teamviewer and check it out (if you have wifi on the laptop, must install teamviewer program)

It's important to note that the two black dots for ignition and battery do not necessarily need to come on, and depends more on the cable design.

Have you tried going to E36 menu and connecting to Engine, or airbag module (20-pin must be used for this)?
    And, thanks so much for the offer to help. I don't have teamviewer, but I'll check it out for future use.......... thanks again...........

My Cars
    skateboard
    Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    Yes, happens all the time. Turn switch and hazard switch are common failure points. Lets start with Make/model/year stuff and I'll pull together specific test points.
    It’s a 99 z3 coupe(m54 car)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Quote Originally Posted by GG///M3 View Post
    It’s a 99 z3 coupe(m54 car)

Ah didn't know you had joined us on the dark side. Welcome.

This makes it easy. Check to see if high-beam flash works. If it does not, look to fuse F23. If flash does work, then there is power to the combo switch. I would pop the E-flasher switch up and test the wiring there. Pin 2, gray wire, should show 12V when the left turn is on, pin 7, blue wire, when the right is on. All of the smarts of the system are built into the E-flasher switch itself. If you have the needed control signal coming in, but no response, the switch is bad.

/.randy

My Cars
    skateboard
    Ah didn't know you had joined us on the dark side. Welcome.

This makes it easy. Check to see if high-beam flash works. If it does not, look to fuse F23. If flash does work, then there is power to the combo switch. I would pop the E-flasher switch up and test the wiring there. Pin 2, gray wire, should show 12V when the left turn is on, pin 7, blue wire, when the right is on. All of the smarts of the system are built into the E-flasher switch itself. If you have the needed control signal coming in, but no response, the switch is bad.
    Thanks . What’s an e flasher?

“If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Emergency flashers, hazard flasher switch

My Cars
    skateboard
    Emergency flashers, hazard flasher switch
    The flasher works, but the car is at my place in another state check everything else mentioned . I wonder if it could be a relay ?

― George Orwell

Page 24 of 46 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast