Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear Sub Frame Bushing Removal (RSFB) Tool

My Cars
    2000 2.3 Z3, 2007 328xi

Rear Sub Frame Bushing Removal (RSFB+RTAB) Tool

Well the time has come - at 166k I am going to replace the RSFBs and the RTABs - I got this nice tool for RTABs from BimmerBums:

Notice the nice threaded rod, nuts, washer, cover plate of tube - all fit nicely inside my new bushings - would I be out of line using this rod and hardware to remove the RSFB - it's the right length - I have the other parts of the RSFB removal tool - a cap and big pipe to enclose the bushing - but don't have the threaded rod or washers - thus why I am tempted to use this. Just wondering if it is up to the task - sorry no other specs on rod except pic.
    Last edited by ZGator; 04-02-2024 at 12:50 PM.

“Great wisdom is generous; petty wisdom is contentious.” 无为

My Cars
    99 M3

Rear Sub Frame Bushing Removal (RSFB) Tool

To reduce stress on the threads I would be tempted to use coupling nut.

And a thrust bearing is helpful also.

And P-80 to lubricate the rubber during installation.
    Last edited by bluptgm3; 04-01-2024 at 09:05 PM.

My Cars
    2000 2.3 Z3, 2007 328xi
    Thank you - would that be used in place of the nut? more threads captured - makes sense - heard that recommendation in the past - and of course I will lube the threads.

My Cars
    1999 Z3
    I can't remember exactly how I got my RSBs out but as I recall, some heat from a heat gun was a big help. Some people use a torch but I didn't want to risk messing with the temper or, even more likely, burning off the factory coating. My heat gun is adjustable so I probably had it set around 250F judging by experience. There's no actual temp readings on the dial.

My Cars
    2000 2.3 Z3, 2007 328xi
    Yes agree, was also going to use heat gun during the process. I have also decided that using the aluminum end caps might not be a good idea - I imagine I could crack them - so will get some bigger washers and the coupling nut.

My Cars
    2K Z3 2.8
    Very fancy. I yanked mine out w/ my bench vise, some threaded rods, an a-frame ladder and a bunch of scrap steel.
    Zed's dead baby. Zed's dead.

My Cars
    2000 2.3 Z3, 2007 328xi
    Quote Originally Posted by CoconutPete View Post
    Very fancy. I yanked mine out w/ my bench vise, some threaded rods, an a-frame ladder and a bunch of scrap steel.
    while the other stuff makes sense - the a-frame ladder staggers the imagination.

I must admit at one time, quite long ago when pondering the job, I considered the even more hillbilly method of burning them out.
    Last edited by ZGator; 04-01-2024 at 09:42 PM.

My Cars
    2K Z3 2.8
    Yeah ... it was later in the evening, I didn't think I'd get this far on day 1 ... may have had an IPA or two.
    My wife and kids were both asleep and the ladder ladder was the best "buddy" I could come up with at the time.

sub_bushig_2.jpg
    Zed's dead baby. Zed's dead.

My Cars
    2000 2.3 Z3, 2007 328xi
    Many thanks bluptgun! I just ordered all the extra hardware and lube on amazon - this is going to be a very dam/fancy RSFB/RTAB tool, only around $100 and should make quick work of it I figure.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CoconutPete View Post
    Yeah ... it was later in the evening, I didn't think I'd get this far on day 1 ... may have had an IPA or two.
    My wife and kids were both asleep and the ladder ladder was the best "buddy" I could come up with at the time.

sub_bushig_2.jpg
    Well that explains the ladder - quite creative - I have been guilty of worse! and damn that is a LONG threaded rod - I guess you wanted to spare losing the length. I am a frugal Yankee so I fully approve.
    Last edited by ZGator; 04-01-2024 at 10:33 PM.

My Cars
    1999 Z3
    I made a makeshift tool similar in concept to the one from bimmerbum using an old hole saw "blade" of the appropriate diameter, a length of threaded rod, some nuts and washers. That was for the RTABs but I may have used the same thing for the RSFBs. Did I seek the help of a Pilsener, perhaps.

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    To answer your original question: the threaded rod and nuts you have can work. I made the tool per this thread: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...r-cheap!/page6 ..... I used SS thd rod (or was it B7? I don't remember for sure), but I don't think it was necessary. First, I tightend the puller pretty tight, then I used a heat gun until it started to move. Then I just kept some heat on it while tightening the tool more. Didn't take much pressure at all. If it starts to take much pressure, just put a bit more heat on it.

My Cars
    1999 Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by zellamay View Post
    First, I tightend the puller pretty tight, then I used a heat gun until it started to move. Then I just kept some heat on it while tightening the tool more. Didn't take much pressure at all. If it starts to take much pressure, just put a bit more heat on it.
    It's all coming back to me now. That's what I did using my home made puller. As I recall, the first bit of movement took a while as I was heating the subframe in a cold garage. Once it started moving, it came out fairly easily.

My Cars
    00 M Roady '22 Lexus RC
    Now this is bringing back memories, it's been five years since I did mine. The RTAB's were easier than the RSFB's, if I recall correctly, I drilled some holes in the old rubber bushings to relieve some of the pressure against the sides, while trying to get them out. I did take advantage of having the Subframe out and welded the camber/toe alignment kit in. It was a job for sure.
    Screenshot_20240401_232255_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240401_232638_Gallery.jpg

My Cars
    2001 M ROADSTER
    Brings back memories of this task. This is for the most part is a signal use tool for Z3 owners (it's going to sit in your garage forever like mine or offer here). When I did mine, I bought the components to make my crude tool (cheap then). The key is heat. A heat gun is insufficient, you need flame like a propane torch or better. Once heated to temp it'll come out like butter. You don't need to FRY it!. If you're fighting it, it's not hot enough was my experience. A good clean up, painting and back together. This job seems big, yeah, a lot of parts but to me it was a rather simple goal comprised of many tasks of connecting the dots. The key is having the room to do it over your time frame. Mine, a weekend turned into months to complete due to life

My Cars
    2000 2.3 Z3, 2007 328xi
    Quote Originally Posted by BUCK57 View Post
    Brings back memories of this task. This is for the most part is a signal use tool for Z3 owners (it's going to sit in your garage forever like mine or offer here). When I did mine, I bought the components to make my crude tool (cheap then). The key is heat. A heat gun is insufficient, you need flame like a propane torch or better. Once heated to temp it'll come out like butter. You don't need to FRY it!. If you're fighting it, it's not hot enough was my experience. A good clean up, painting and back together. This job seems big, yeah, a lot of parts but to me it was a rather simple goal comprised of many tasks of connecting the dots. The key is having the room to do it over your time frame. Mine, a weekend turned into months to complete due to life
    My RSFBs were bought years and miles ago and I am at 166k miles now - so got you beat on procrastination. I was waiting for my clutch to go out I guess - but that's still working fine. Also doing the Center support bearing++, even though the car runs fine - this goes a bit against the if it isn't broke - but I guess I am up for the project now - and consider this 'fun'- I have all the time I need and other car(s) so that helps make it fun not being under the gun.
    Last edited by ZGator; 04-02-2024 at 11:19 AM.

My Cars
    2000 2.3 Z3, 2007 328xi
    To answer your original question: the threaded rod and nuts you have can work. I made the tool per this thread: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...r-cheap!/page6 ..... I used SS thd rod (or was it B7? I don't remember for sure), but I don't think it was necessary. First, I tightend the puller pretty tight, then I used a heat gun until it started to move. Then I just kept some heat on it while tightening the tool more. Didn't take much pressure at all. If it starts to take much pressure, just put a bit more heat on it.
    yep thanks - I think I went out and bought the cap and pipe at the time of your post or others like it- I am going to do exactly this - heat gun on high is pretty hot - and with the press bearings and coupler nuts - I think it will work fine. Will post pics - but be aware I am working on this very slowly getting all parts and tools ready - will be removing the exhaust - driveshaft - and rear sub frame. About only thing I am worried about now is pressing in my new Differential bushing.
    Last edited by ZGator; 04-02-2024 at 11:15 AM.

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by BUCK57 View Post
    Brings back memories of this task. ..... A heat gun is insufficient, you need flame like a propane torch or better. .....
    Just to clarify for future readers. You must have had a pretty weak heat gun. Several have used heat guns successfully. Once the bushing started to give, I had to use mine intermittently becasue the bushing area would get too hot. The heat gun I bought was probably around $30.
    Last edited by zellamay; 04-03-2024 at 10:49 AM. Reason: to add heat gun cost

My Cars
    1999 Z3
    Just to clarify for future readers. You must have had a pretty weak heat gun. Several have used heat guns successfully. Once the bushing started to give, I had to use mine intermittently because the bushing area would get too hot.
    Same. My heat gun can get very hot.(Makita) I had it set somewhere between 1/3 an 1/2 of full heat. I did have to have a little bit of patience to get the entire bushing area heated up but with tension on the extractor tool, the bushing started to move while I was applying heat. There was no damage to the black, factory coating that is still intact on my car.

My Cars
    MZ3 Roadster
    I wish I had pics. Did mine years ago. Put in one of the original Ireland Engineering E30 camber/toe kits too. I have an old 20-ton press and I rigged it with some junk metal bearing shells as drift spacers and pressed the subframe bushings out. I put Ireland green urethane back in. Had to trim the bushing edges on each side to be able to get to the toe adjustment bolts.

Believe it or not, I did not replace my trailing arm bushings at the time because they were still good. I think I did this back in 2006? When I do some other work, some day, I plan to replace those while the car is apart.

My Cars
    00 M Roady '22 Lexus RC
    Quote Originally Posted by sleeperz View Post
    I wish I had pics. Did mine years ago. Put in one of the original Ireland Engineering E30 camber/toe kits too. I have an old 20-ton press and I rigged it with some junk metal bearing shells as drift spacers and pressed the subframe bushings out. I put Ireland green urethane back in. Had to trim the bushing edges on each side to be able to get to the toe adjustment bolts.

Believe it or not, I did not replace my trailing arm bushings at the time because they were still good. I think I did this back in 2006? When I do some other work, some day, I plan to replace those while the car is apart.
    I know just what you're talking about, I had to trim mine also. That's the only way to get a wrench on the RTAB bolt head.
    Screenshot_20240402_154740_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240402_154901_Samsung capture.jpg
    Screenshot_20240402_154814_Gallery.jpg

My Cars
    00 M Roadster 17 Cayman
    Showing off your pretty differential again !

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Roadster
    A 1500 watt heat gun worked pretty well when I did mine.

My Cars
    00 M Roady '22 Lexus RC
    Quote Originally Posted by spfd72 View Post
    Hey that represents a lot of retirement hours of labor! When I first started five years ago, I had never worked on a European car ever. I came from the 60's-70's muscle car era. As I was reading up and trying to understand everything, I found when someone posted a lot of pics, it really helped me understand better. So I try to help others that are starting out or in the future, have a good understanding by seeing what we are talking about.

My Cars
    MZ3 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by spfd72 View Post
    I think I have heard that pick-up line at the local bar?

My Cars
    00' z3m | 97' 1.9
    Do you have a link to the tool where it can be purchased?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast