Page 32 of 46 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: The Z3 Diagnostics Thread: Instructions, Experiences, Discussions, Experimentation

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    1. Normal, restart windows after doing so.

2. You want interface to be ADS. The default line shouldn't matter. Those are not even active lines.

3. You don't need obd.ini when using ADS interface.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    1996 BMW z3
    Thank you, everything seems to be working fine with inpa. I can connect to every module except zvm still though. I just get the cannot connect error

Ncsexpert looks like it was missing daten files, but i went ahead a copied some over from my other laptop. Works good now. When trying to connect to the zvm I dont get that crazy error message like before, instead i just get a "cannot connect to ecu" message.

So I guess either my replacement zvm is no good or something else is goin on with my car.

My Cars
    '00 Z3 2.3 Roadster
    I caant seem to make install work. My Win10 computer detects a Trojan virus in the download and deletes the files. :-(

Edit: Went back a few pages and found the post about the Trojan warning and told Windows Defender to ignore. Installed now - Thumbs up.

Too late to try tonight , but I am hoping my Ross-Tech VAG-COM cable works with the BMW adapter and INPA software. Thanks to all who put this thread together.
    Last edited by RedconOne; 06-17-2019 at 09:10 PM.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 323iC
    Hello, Can anybody point me in the direction of the appropriate diagnostic ODB/USB cable to use for a 1995 325i? I have the 16-to-20 pin adaptor cable coming, but I can't find an ODB cable with the FTDI FT232RL chip that looks trustworthy. I'd rather buy one that someone else has purchased that has been shown to work. Thanks!

My Cars
    01 Z3 3.0
    I just purchased this one, set it up yesterday. Works perfectly.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Max

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    1995 and below (OBD1) aren't going to find nearly as much use from INPA or the USB cables.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    1998 BMW 323iC
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudkat View Post
    I just purchased this one, set it up yesterday. Works perfectly.
    Max
    Thank you!
    T

My Cars
    1995 E36
    Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    1995 and below (OBD1) aren't going to find nearly as much use from INPA or the USB cables.
    can i know what the limitation using INPA with usb cable and 20pin round connector if the car below 1995 (E36)?

My Cars
    '98 ti (M powered)
    It's going to give you the same info you get from a Peake scan tool, nothing more.

Do a search for the model year appropriate P-codes by BMW because the generic ones supplied with the Peake tool are not always accurate.
    "Speed's just a question of money. How fast you 'wanna go?"

PM me for E36 engine swap books and BMW ETMs! NOW SHIPPING!!!

My Cars
    1995 E36
    So for early model E36, ADS interface the only way to go?

Sent from my SM-N935F using Tapatalk

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    That or ICOM, which is a bit more expensive, but connects to your computer via LAN, so you won't need a true serial port.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    '98 ti (M powered)
    I have ICOM for use with my 2013 5-series, and can use it on the OBD-II E36 ti, but I have another simpler adapter I use on the OBD port under the dash. I also used that (with a tuner) to do a remote remap of the DME.

In any event, if you are scanning an OBD-I car, the data stream is limited. Unless you have need for heavier diagnostics for other cars, save your money and get a used PEAKE tool.

My Cars
    1995 E36
    That or ICOM, which is a bit more expensive, but connects to your computer via LAN, so you won't need a true serial port.
    Noted, but with ADS or ICOM will then the capability similar OBD2 car with usb?

On the other hand how about carsoft tool? Can I get access module with it

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 Roadster
    Hello...My wife recently inherited a 1997 BMW Z3 Roadster 1.9 Cyl from her father. It holds sentimental value, and she has asked me to bring it back to life. I guess I now have a new hobby! The car was built in 6/97 and has been sitting for a while. I do not know how long it has been sitting. My brother in-law tried firing it up before we had the vehicle towed to our home. He checked the fuel, mentiong my father in-law used additives to maintain fuel, and noting it didn't smell bad. He added a bit more fresh fuel and replaced the battery. After checking the fluids, he tried firing up the vehicle. It had no problem turning over but would not fire up. To test spark and whether or not it would fire...he sprayed some starter fluid and mentioned it fired up without any issues. However, the car doesn't seem to be getting any fuel. Before I go through the process of changing all fluids, filters, plugs, inspect brakes, etc...I want to make sure the car is running.

I decided to install INPA to assist with diagnostics of vehicle. I didn't have any issues installing software and running program. Thank you to the author of the directions and resources. I wanted to use the program for two reasons...error codes and resync of DME to EWS. I had read online that in some cases they will get out of sync when car sits and battery is drained/replaced. I wanted to make sure this wasn't the issue before checking the fuel system. When using INPA...I am able to get into the DME - Engine diagnostics...while I have an engine light lit...there aren't any errors other than some old ones that I cleared. I went into the Activate Tab hoping to find the option of resync the DME/EWS. However, this option was not available to me. I am also attaching to the connecting point from the engine. I don't know why this options isn't available to me since everywhere online it is mentioned. While in the Activate area...I did perform a check on the fuel pump relay and it appears to working since I heard a clicking sound when testing. I also checked the fuse to make sure it had not blown...all good. I was also able to identify my ISN in the system so that I could go into the EWS to make sure it matched, which it does. While in EWS...My 0 key is being recognized and doesn't appear to be the problem...I made sure the clutch was being recognized when pressing down while in EWS. Is there something I should be looking for within INPA to determine whether or not the DME/EWS is out of sync? How can I confirm since I don't seem to have the option in the version I am working with to resync? I am just trying to eliminate this a potential issue for the system not sending signal to the fuel pump to turn on. Once I can confirm...I feel I can move forward with checking the fuel system/pump.

I hope all of the above makes sense. I am hoping for some additional guidance. Thank you.

My Cars
    '98 ti (M powered)
    If it runs on starter fluid, it probably has clogged injectors from sitting.

You may have good luck soaking them in acetone to loosen up the gunk, but they probably need a proper professional cleaning to operate properly.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 Roadster
    Thanks for your response...So...I shouldn't be so worried about the EWS/DME sync and the problem is likely fuel getting to the engine for other reason(s)? Before I look at injectors...Would it be wise to check the pressure at the rail...this will help in determining whether or not the injectors may or may not be the issue.

My Cars
    '98 ti (M powered)
    When you turn the key, you should hear the fuel pump come on. If you don’t, test for power at the fuel pump relay. But, if the relay is clicking, it should pass power, but that is a simple test as well- make sure power comes into the relay and that when pulled in, the relay makes a good internal connection. Basic stuff.

If it runs with fluid, it’s getting spark, which it would not get if EWS was active.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 Roadster
    Thank you. Sounds as though I have a bit of testing to do.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3
    I have a 97 Z3 2.8 US Production (11/96)

Using a K-DCAN with switch installed (switch is to the right) via the 20PIN port I am only able to read the following is this to be expected? My car is a 5 speed so I don't expect anything under transmission. It would be nice if I could read ZKE since carsoft can over USB.

Working
    MS 41.1 M52 US w/OBDII
    Airbag
    EWS
    I can read live data and run the diagnostics scripts

I read in a post that there is a General Body module I should be able to read but I don't see that listed under E36

Using Carsoft with a FTDI USB to serial I can read a module called ZKE. The only thing similar under E36 in INPA is called ZKE4 and it doesn't work.

I am an IT guy so I can come up with an older laptop if needed and get the tinyad; cable. I just want to make sure this is the best I can expect with this USB k-DCAN cable before wasting my time and money. I'm not even opposed to spending $400 for ICAN. Any help would be appreciated.

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Roadster 2.3
    Hello! What a fantastic and valuable thread! I find INPA to be indispensable. I followed the outstanding directions from the beginning of this thread and installed INPA and the related software on a 2012 era Dell gaming laptop running Windows 10. The install went well until the very last screen. There are errors in the terminal window. I have been using INPA with no issues so my question is, do I need to worry about the errors? Should I reinstall the data file that threw the errors? Are there any items in the settings for the various software I need to change?

I am beyond thrilled with INPA. Hopefully the error messages are not an issue. Can someone let me know their thoughts? Thank you to all involved in this thread and the effort to keep it updated.BMW OBD Setup Error Screen.JPG

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    The errors just tell you that you didn't run the registry file I included.

The registry file sets the correct settings for communication for the cable.

Just run the registry file and enjoy.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    '00 z3 2.5L & '98 740iL
    so... maybe someone here can help me.

i bought this cable:

and have been able to use INPA for everything i've ever wanted. i also bought the adapter for under-hood use, and am able to talk to all the systems. so far so good.

i'm trying to read my ECU and get a backup. i purchased MS41Quickflash (after reading about it in relation to RomRaider) and it tells me it doesn't recognize the software. it says it doesn't recognize 7500255, and it could proceed to attempt to read, but might brick the ECU... so of course i stopped it and am here. so how do i best back up and read my ECU?

a correction / edit - i'd also said that RomRaider wasn't connecting - it was due to incorrect protocol setting. i've got RomRaider logger going now, but need to copy an image of what's in my ECU.

anyway - any help appreciated!

thanks!
    Last edited by pwhitt; 09-07-2019 at 03:23 PM.
    Cheers,
    Phil

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    MS41Quickflash is for MS41 dme, not the MS42 in your car.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    '00 z3 2.5L & '98 740iL
    MS41Quickflash is for MS41 dme, not the MS42 in your car.
    oddly, i found a pointer to that on a page where a gy was explicitly explaining how to connect to an ms42. i'm not trying to use ms41 anymore - i'm looking for anything else that'll work.

anyway - what other SW do i use? can i just use INPA?
    Cheers,
    Phil

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3
    This is not immediately related to a recent comment, but for those of you trying to use a 3 spoke multifunction steering wheel button setup (like prefacelift m5 buttons with I/O), you can get the cruise control to work easily by disconnecting the fgr module and tapping the cc bus wire from the buttons into pin 27 on ms42/ms43 or pin 2 of the fgr 3 pin plug. No coding required. Open inpa, connect to the ms42 ecu, go to the digital status, fgr, and verify that all black dots work. The bus code processing is done onboard the button PCB just like the audio ibus signals (similar to what the existing fgr module does). Make sure your tail light bulbs are not shorted or disconnecting (this will prevent cruise control from working). The existing fgr module and cruise control switch are no longer needed. Removing the old lever frees up some knee space.

I think you may be able to make this work without having two dedicated wires for the ibus and cc connections. For mine, ibus only worked when the two were bridged. Need to do some more testing on this. But afaik I'm the first guy to have working MFL Steering wheel Cruise control working on their Z3.

Page 32 of 46 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast