Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: headers for the 540i/m5 that is not supersprint or evolve thread

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i 6speed
    Quote Originally Posted by RVAE34 View Post
    well hot damn, but i wonder what price will be
    540i 6spd DUDMD tuned-weekend brute, sounds like an M5 throaty V8 "Vtec-ish" cam noise.

Hummer- 35inch MT's, Adventure offroad package.

check out my video gear
    https://kit.co/Lv5multimedia/mobile-videographer-set-up

Best Oil hands down for bmw
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...1441c0abde2552

My Cars
    2003 540MSPORT 6 #861
    Those are hot but the cost of ur cars
    2003 540MSPORT #861/1265 -GF71249 .Black Sapphire Metallic/Sandbeige.Dinan intake~M60 manifold
    Spec racing stage 2+ clutch and custom light flywheel .M5 rear LSD 3:15~M5 driveshaft ~Rogue Octane SSK
    36K ENGINE SWAP!!!.~Rogue thrust arm bushings~Rogue studds~Dinan strut bar
    EIBACH front/rear sway bars with BEASTPOWER brackets~CDV delete~Redline fluids/Racing blue Ate~ APEX EC7 RIMS SQUARE 18 x 10's~M Pararallel rims 9.5 all around~285 30 18 rears~265 35 18 fronts~ENKIE 18x10's square with Continental Slicks 275's square~RE 11's, 595 RSR's~BC racing coil overs 8k/6K~Steel braided brake lines~Powder Coated valve covers-A1 headers 100 cell cats, performance resonator and 4
    cross tips, CUSTOM BBK - MASSIVE HATS AND BRACKETS - AERO-6 WILDWOOD-, ANODIZED CALIPERS STAINLESS STEEL PISTONS THERMAL TREATED, CUSTOM WILDWOOD ROTORS 14.50

My Cars
    Canada
    The jedders are going to be 3k plus I think

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i 6speed
    yeah very very expensive i bet
    540i 6spd DUDMD tuned-weekend brute, sounds like an M5 throaty V8 "Vtec-ish" cam noise.

Hummer- 35inch MT's, Adventure offroad package.

check out my video gear
    https://kit.co/Lv5multimedia/mobile-videographer-set-up

Best Oil hands down for bmw
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...1441c0abde2552

My Cars
    2000 BMW 540i 6 Speed
    Quote Originally Posted by mapleridge View Post
    Worth every penny if they perform. If power is your goal anyway. "worth" is subjective.

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    They are incredible. Worth it if you are serious about performance and quality.

My Cars
    2003 540MSPORT 6 #861
    Long tube headers are for low to mid range rpms.... Short headers as mine are for the high rpms for the track that's wherer they shine and will out perform a long tube. Actually the A1's are in between a shorty and a long tube best of both worlds with out breaking the bank or selling a kidney lol
    2003 540MSPORT #861/1265 -GF71249 .Black Sapphire Metallic/Sandbeige.Dinan intake~M60 manifold
    Spec racing stage 2+ clutch and custom light flywheel .M5 rear LSD 3:15~M5 driveshaft ~Rogue Octane SSK
    EIBACH front/rear sway bars with BEASTPOWER brackets~CDV delete~Redline fluids/Racing blue Ate~ APEX EC7 RIMS SQUARE 18 x 10's~M Pararallel rims 9.5 all around~285 30 18 rears~265 35 18 fronts~ENKIE 18x10's square with Continental Slicks 275's square~RE 11's, 595 RSR's~BC racing coil overs 8k/6K~Steel braided brake lines~Powder Coated valve covers-A1 headers 100 cell cats, performance resonator and 4
    cross tips, CUSTOM BBK - MASSIVE HATS AND BRACKETS - AERO-6 WILDWOOD-, ANODIZED CALIPERS STAINLESS STEEL PISTONS THERMAL TREATED, CUSTOM WILDWOOD ROTORS 14.50

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by mapleridge View Post
    Misinfo all up in here.
    $3k is not even barely the least tiny bit remotely close.
    Wouldn't even buy you one side of the Jeaders.

Yes they are super lusciously lovely and as he's explained, incorporate all the best features of all the good header designs.
    But the initial price will be enough to buy a set of Evolves AND a set of SS and perhaps some additional change required.

Worth it? Something is always worth something to somebody! Everybody has their priorities and puts their own value on things...

I will say if you use an excellent highly experienced, quality-engineering-not-shadetree, immaculate TiG-technique fabricator - making something like those up custom one-off is probably at least a $9k job. I have actually had exactly such setup priced myself (and please don't give me your 'but I can get my buddy who has a welder and made his own Camaro exhaust and he'll do it for $800' I am talking if you go with a proven real top notch custom builder who does proper flow analysis spending time to design them perfectly, probably sourcing an engine on a stand and spending the proper weeks to get it all designed to race-tech standards...)

So that's the place Jed is probably coming from. If you are considering that level of build, then his price will be very good for you. If you are comparing to the other offerings, well, his offer is in a completely different league and is aligned to the mega-custom-perfection-engineering build, not really comparable to mass-production offerings.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    2003 540MSPORT 6 #861
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Misinfo all up in here.

Yes they are super lusciously lovely and as he's explained, incorporate all the best features of all the good header designs.
    But the initial price will be enough to buy a set of Evolves AND a set of SS and perhaps some additional change required.

Worth it? Something is always worth something to somebody! Everybody has their priorities and puts their own value on things...

I will say if you use an excellent highly experienced, quality-engineering-not-shadetree, immaculate TiG-technique fabricator - making something like those up custom one-off is probably at least a $9k job. I have actually had exactly such setup priced myself (and please don't give me your 'but I can get my buddy who has a welder and made his own Camaro exhaust and he'll do it for $800' I am talking if you go with a proven real top notch custom builder who does proper flow analysis spending time to design them perfectly, probably sourcing an engine on a stand and spending the proper weeks to get it all designed to race-tech standards...)

So that's the place Jed is probably coming from. If you are considering that level of build, then his price will be very good for you. If you are comparing to the other offerings, well, his offer is in a completely different league and is aligned to the mega-custom-perfection-engineering build, not really comparable to mass-production offerings.

well said! that's what I figured also, they would be the price of a 540 like you said those have the cash to burn will do it and nothing wrong with that they are as you said a league of their own.

My Cars
    Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Misinfo all up in here.

sounds like the price of a wrecked camaro or corvette. I'd go that route before dropping serious coin like that, but the m5 guys will likely go for them.

My Cars
    00 M5 / 99 540i
    I bet it did cost him an arm and a leg to make his first set. After he knows how to make then and has the materials... The cost per set has to be pretty low.

If I had to guess, I'd think he will sell them cheaper than dinan, supersprint, and evolve and could potentially sell a ton of sets. Look how many people were interested in that thread.
    Hopefully

I
    2000 Silverstone/Silverstone M5 1/34

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by Cereal View Post
    If I had to guess, I'd think he will sell them cheaper than dinan, supersprint, and evolve
    If you'd guess that, you'd be very wrong. I was thinking about a custom job and therefore thinking maybe his would be a better way to go (and it would be) and was thinkin about being one of the first guys on-board, so he gave me pricing indication.

Not my place to repeat details at this juncture, since he is still working out exactly what it's going to be but lets just say your ballpark is out of the ballpark.

I would agree, w/ you he'd prob sell a crapload if he was near those prices. But that is absolutely not his target market or business plan at this time. And you also probably underestimate the cost of the level of complexity and quality he's talking about. He's not making one prototype then sending that to China to have 5000 knocked off that are vaguely similar to the original if you are lucky... He's having them truly craftsman made from top notch parts and materials. Neither his parts nor labor costs will be cheap.

Now he might be able to make a "light" or "budget" version that was his competition to the existing with a little less deluxe or from cheaper materials, but doubt he will do that either.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    00 M5 / 99 540i
    Ahh gotcha, you are right I don't understand his costs of labor or materials, just thought your previous post was just a guess. I figured your price was high due to the fact for all the R&D for making 1 single set for a personal car. I was thinking (hoping) it would've been much cheaper. Obviously you have a little insight into this and know what are you talking about.

I was just trying to be optimistic but I guess not even close lol.
    2000 Silverstone/Silverstone M5 1/34

My Cars
    F10 N52
    +1 to GG.

I was following the thread over on M5 board and I am thinking to myself, this is going to be close to 10K for these headers. Excellent system, but spensive.

My Cars
    2000 bmw 540i
    What is the cost from start to finish if getting the A1s installed at at local shop

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    To answer your pondering minds, I come forth with new info regarding Jed's Unicorn Equal Length Headers :

$5,500 gets you headers God would own. You can add cat-delete dual exhaust and his custom "x" pipe also. If you're pushing air into an engine, you best plan on helping it out of the engine. This is Jed's contribution and I doubt it'll ever be matched. He poured himself into this design and build. This is the art of engineering using science and heart.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo540 View Post
    What is the cost from start to finish if getting the A1s installed at at local shop
    see answer in the other thread you posted similar question in...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Plattus1000 View Post
    $5,500 gets you headers God would own.
    To be clear that's not installed, that's just luscious-parts-sitting-in-a-box-on-garage-floor price.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    03 540i
    So they are the price of a 540. Crazy.

- - - Updated - - -

Also similarly priced to an ls swap.

My Cars
    2002 BMW M5 Alpine White
    Sooooo...........in the 1+ year this thread has stalled. Has anyone purchased and installed any headers for the E39 540? Curious......very curious!

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    I did about 2 years ago. Got then from Schmiedermann (sp?), they are made in Italy.
    Header_26.JPG

Got them ceramic coated inside and out.
    Header_28.JPG

Then I installed them. On a level of difficulty 1-10 if you can turn wrenches and know what you doing it's an 8.
    If you don't know what your doing it's a 12.
    Header37.JPG

They won't mate to your exhaust and I was running out of time, the moving van was coming in a week so I too the car to a local rod shop to connect the
    collectors to the pipes and weld in bungs for the O2's. I'd have to look up the costs for everything, just guessing it was about $2K.
    Header33.JPG

My Cars
    e36 v8 Turbo HX-40
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    I did about 2 years ago. Got then from Schmiedermann (sp?), they are made in Italy.
    Header_26.JPG

Got them ceramic coated inside and out.
    Header_28.JPG

Then I installed them. On a level of difficulty 1-10 if you can turn wrenches and know what you doing it's an 8.
    If you don't know what your doing it's a 12.
    Header37.JPG

They won't mate to your exhaust and I was running out of time, the moving van was coming in a week so I too the car to a local rod shop to connect the
    collectors to the pipes and weld in bungs for the O2's. I'd have to look up the costs for everything, just guessing it was about $2K.
    Header33.JPG
    Very nice, that is my dream. People says that even with no SC it headers gives saignificant power increas. How it is increasing HP with SC?
    e39 540i 6speed Supercharged,
    E36 v8 m62 with m60 headers, Turbp HX-40 0.6-0.5bar or 9psi, custom exhaust & Turbo manifold, injectors 440cc, ECU Invent EMS-2, Mishimoto Intercooler and oilcooler, etc…

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    I don't have a SC, got nitrous. I didn't do a before and after dyno so I don't have a definite number for you. Maybe a 20-25HP increase. It does pull better at higher RPM's.
    And the pre-CAT's are gone. I don't get any codes either.
    Last edited by JimLev; 10-20-2017 at 08:28 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12